Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Will Fuller WR Notre Dame- 1st round 2016

If it was so obvious there wouldn't have been a question
Tough crowd...

Mangler wasn't born in pit and doesn't play fantasy football. - oh and he doesn't have espn during football season.
The first part is true, the rest is just an outright lie. I have Xfinity "Digital Preffered" (overpriced crap) and play fantasy football with the guys.

I assure you no Texan will be smoking anything! Strong is probably on a short leash, and they all know it. They'd be completely stupid to smoke dabs during the season and risk suspension, or being cut.
sarcasm right? If guys use the week of combine which is job interview knowing they will be tested; why would you think some will not do it when they have made roster?

The first part is true, the rest is just an outright lie. I have Xfinity "Digital Preffered" (overpriced crap) and play fantasy football with the guys.

Go easy bro. My post is as tongue in cheek as yours. AB is a phenomenal wr and if your on this site i'd expect you know it.

Jayson Braddock on 790 revealed that basically all the Texans scouting team and Smith did not want Fuller over Doctson..............O'Brien alone forced the pick.

Must of had a closed practice.
Braddock went on to say that while watching mini camp, Fuller looked good when the CBs were directed to play off the line by several yards. But at the end of minicamp, with the CBs allowed to play press, Fuller ran his routes poorly and missed all 3 passes. The CBs covering Fuller were 2 UDFA signings, and 1 strickly there for a trying out.........certainly not competition on par with the vets he will soon confront.

Braddock went on to say that while watching mini camp, Fuller looked good when the CBs were directed to play off the line by several yards. But at the end of minicamp, with the CBs allowed to play press, Fuller ran his routes poorly and missed all 3 passes. The CBs covering Fuller were 2 UDFA signings, and 1 strickly there for a trying out.........certainly not competition on par with the vets he will soon confront.

I worry a bit about his ability to play through press coverage and it's not odd that they threw it at him early and that he didn't adjust well. All seems normal.

It's all about his work ethic at this point. I think he has what he needs to succeed.

Braddock also has an agenda to push. He hated the pick and did not rate him very high. Take all of these reports (good or bad) with a grain of salt. They run tons of plays per practice and the media writes a snippet about 3 plays....

Braddock also has an agenda to push. He hated the pick and did not rate him very high. Take all of these reports (good or bad) with a grain of salt. They run tons of plays per practice and the media writes a snippet about 3 plays....

Saying O'b insisted on Fuller does not make it a bad pick, or a wrong pick. So it doesn't further Braddock's agenda either way.

This pretty much falls in line with what we have been told about the war room. It's a collaborative effort, everyone has their say. O'brien favored Fuller. Smith preferred Doctson. O'b was able to swing the room to his side.

Yep, this. When they drafted Miller and then Martin in the 2nd Braddock went on Twitter and like a petulant child had a tantrum. Seriously go check his timeline.

He struggled against press in college. Mackensie Alexander dominated him when Notre Dame played Clemson.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the Fuller pick as I thought Doctson was the better player and better option.

That being said, if there's going to be a disagreement, I'd rather the coach get his way than the GM. Once the kid is drafted, the GM's job is done. It's on the coach at that point. I'd rather the coach be working with the guy he wanted.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the Fuller pick as I thought Doctson was the better player and better option.

That being said, if there's going to be a disagreement, I'd rather the coach get his way than the GM. Once the kid is drafted, the GM's job is done. It's on the coach at that point. I'd rather the coach be working with the guy he wanted.

The problem with the Texans is they don't maintain a reasonable hierarchy..............the GM should choose a fine menu with the coach's preferences a priority............the coach should be the one to pick from the menu put before him..........................and the owner should zip it.

I remember the sad events surrounding the drafting of RB Highsmith with the Oilers. The GM drafted him and Glanville did not use him to his potential as a respite.

I remember the sad events surrounding the drafting of RB Highsmith with the Oilers. The GM drafted him and Glanville did not use him to his potential as a respite.

Glanville really was a piece of work.

His insecurities made his career a short one.

Wasted talent/yrs.

He struggled against press in college. Mackensie Alexander dominated him when Notre Dame played Clemson.

Dominated is an awfully strong statement. You had a freshman QB, against a ridiculously good defensive team, in a hostile environment, and tough weather conditions. I saw Alexander bailing on Fuller quite a bit and Keiser either didn't throw it to him or the pass was errant. I thought Alexander played well, but I wouldn't call that domination by any stretch. ND was loaded at the skill positions, why attack a team's strongest CB when you had better match ups

I don't understand some of the folks liking WolverineFan's post since you espouse the opposite of what he said.

Because I trust BOB's vision of what HE wants for HIS offense more than I do Rick or the scouts, (3 of them are retiring) vision of BOB's offense.

Dominated is an awfully strong statement. You had a freshman QB, against a ridiculously good defensive team, in a hostile environment, and tough weather conditions. I saw Alexander bailing on Fuller quite a bit and Keiser either didn't throw it to him or the pass was errant. I thought Alexander played well, but I wouldn't call that domination by any stretch. ND was loaded at the skill positions, why attack a team's strongest CB when you had better match ups

I was speaking specifically on the press coverage aspect not on the game/performance as a whole.

In most cases I wouldn't expect the Coach to know the player as well as the GM & scouts. In this case, however, O'b recruited Fuller way back when. & for that kid he recruited to turn into the prospect that he has....

Wow.

The problem with the Texans is they don't maintain a reasonable hierarchy..............the GM should choose a fine menu with the coach's preferences a priority............the coach should be the one to pick from the menu put before him..........................and the owner should zip it.

That's only a problem when trying to assess blame.

So debate between scouts/coaches/front office on which wide receiver to draft. I for one am shocked. SHOCKED!

And then they, a room full of people who do this for a living, settled on one guy. What a concept right?

I don't get why this board is so intent on figuring out who was responsible for which pick. Like the concept of a group decision is lost around here. It has to be one man, one pick.

The problem with the Texans is they don't maintain a reasonable hierarchy.............

That's only a problem when trying to assess blame.

That's a very real problem when the coach, who actually has to work with the players, doesn't feel comfortable with players forced on him.

Feel like I'm aiming at a moving target here, Doc.

I said no consistent hierarchy makes it difficult to assign blame. What's a "reasonable hierarchy" got to do with forcing players on a coach?

& SteelB... don't you want the GM to make all the player acquisitions? If you "like" CND's post, then you should be fine with the yes man GM, which is not what your post history suggests. I don't know, maybe I've been reading you wrong all this time.

Feel like I'm aiming at a moving target here, Doc.

I said no consistent hierarchy makes it difficult to assign blame. What's a "reasonable hierarchy" got to do with forcing players on a coach?

& SteelB... don't you want the GM to make all the player acquisitions? If you "like" CND's post, then you should be fine with the yes man GM, which is not what your post history suggests. I don't know, maybe I've been reading you wrong all this time.

To be clear, I dont want Rick Smith making any decision when it comes to player personell. He doesn't put in the work it requires to make those kinds of decisions. (Per Sean Jones) He just listens to what the scouts say and makes his decisions based off of the scouts opinions. He watches very little tape.

# No more Rick Smith talk.

And then they, a room full of people who do this for a living, settled on one guy. What a concept right?

I don't get why this board is so intent on figuring out who was responsible for which pick. Like the concept of a group decision is lost around here. It has to be one man, one pick.

That really wasn't the way it was reported. I don't care either way, but the report makes it sound like O'B overruled everyone else. That's not a group decision, consensus, or swinging the room to your side. He's the one who has to make it work, so I'm fine with it, but it doesn't sound like a collaborative effort. It sounds like the collaborative effort settled on Doctson until he overruled it in the 11th hour.

My only issue with the story is how Teflon Rick gets another coating, it seems. That guy's not responsible for anything, I guess.

It's not a difficult concept, obviously.

The report was that OB made the decision alone, that was the report. The reason behind seeking clarification on that when a poster claims that a high level source (Shefter is about as good a source as there is) confirmed it is self explanatory.

I'm not sure anyone said that it "has to be one man, one pick."

Back