Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Will anyone do a play-by-play analysis of the New England game?

Are we doing 20 something scripted plays to start every game as was the norm with Shanahan and Kubiak? I haven't seen mention of it.

Stroud has adjusted just fine at every level and will do just the same here in Houston. If he benefits from a season on the sideline or starts GM1 this season….it’ll be fine.

He played his first NFL snap behind an OL minus his bookend OT’s. I was watching one highlight that stated Stroud took a sack….he didn’t have time to do anything else b/c tossing the ball away at that point would’ve been grounding. The INT was simply a bad read even though he started left and progressed back to the right….the DB’s were waiting.

I think we’ll get a better look this week during scrimmages when the 1’s will be on the field a bit more.

Stroud has adjusted just fine at every level and will do just the same here in Houston. If he benefits from a season on the sideline or starts GM1 this season….it’ll be fine.

He played his first NFL snap behind an OL minus his bookend OT’s. I was watching one highlight that stated Stroud took a sack….he didn’t have time to do anything else b/c tossing the ball away at that point would’ve been grounding. The INT was simply a bad read even though he started left and progressed back to the right….the DB’s were waiting.

I think we’ll get a better look this week during scrimmages when the 1’s will be on the field a bit more.
I think it was a good read, had he seen the defender he might have lobbed that ball higher like we seen him do. He just didn’t take into account the guy waiting to intercept it.

Hannah hopes you're right.

Despite what some have said Stroud did make a bad read. Shocking that would happen in a rookie QB first game. The excuses being made are so predictable. He will get better, how much better and more importantly because I think Caserio and Ryans have put together a playoff caliber team this year, is how quickly can Stroud get up to speed on the NFL game? BTW, this won't be the last time Stroud makes bad reads, hopefully he can limit the number of bad reads.

Last edited:

Indeed ,but like my boy from the quarterbacks room stated, everything needs to get better. Especially the play designs. Those play designs looks like straight up crap.

Last edited:
Indeed and but like my from quarterback room stated, everything needs to get better. Especially the play designs. Those play designs looks like straight up crap.

Those plays were from the, “Pre Season Playbook of Basics”. Expect this for the next 2 games before Texans fans get to see the unveiling of the new playbook.

Those plays were from the, “Pre Season Playbook of Basics”. Expect this for the next 2 games before Texans fans get to see the unveiling of the new playbook.
The problem for the Texans was that Belichick wasn't playing along, bringing blitzes and combo coverages. Which in the long run is great for Stroud and the team to learn from. Hoody did the Texans a favor.

It may have only been the 1st preseason game that Stroud only threw 4 passes in, but some posters excuse making are in mid season form. Stroud was bad, hopefully this will be a learning experience for him. It didn't help Stroud that Mills/Keenum looked so much better than he did.

It may have only been the 1st preseason game that Stroud only threw 4 passes in, but some posters excuse making are in mid season form. Stroud was bad, hopefully this will be a learning experience for him. It didn't help Stroud that Mills/Keenum looked so much better than he did.
Keenum is my backup. He's the guy that can pull a win out of his hat a couple of times a season. Case has 10 game winning drives in his career, the 1st being the "deer blind" game.

Indeed ,but like my boy from the quarterbacks room stated, everything needs to get better. Especially the play designs. Those play designs looks like straight up crap.

He questioned the boot play on if the te messed up or if it were by design. That WAS by design. The te moved and spun very deliberately. It didn't just leave 1 defender free, it left 2 defenders in cj's face. Crappy play.

I said it when we drafted him, cj is a rythm passer. His footwork looked bad and the routes didn't synch up to the drops. Obviously the ol did little to help ,but none of it bodes well.

I feel a little better about Cj as a talent and worse about slowick after watching that.

Thanks @sprtsfanatic

He questioned the boot play on if the te messed up or if it were by design. That WAS by design. The te moved and spun very deliberately. It didn't just leave 1 defender free, it left 2 defenders in cj's face. Crappy play.

I said it when we drafted him, cj is a rythm passer. His footwork looked bad and the routes didn't synch up to the drops. Obviously the ol did little to help ,but none of it bodes well.

I feel a little better about Cj as a talent and worse about slowick after watching that.

Thanks @sprtsfanatic
No worries! I like how he breaks film down and I agree with most...CJ had a bad game w/ no help from the Oline and had one bad read. Looking at the all 22 film the plays were not there to help anyone out either...it was muddled and jumbled and the defense didnt have to cover much ground to defend vs multiple recievers.

I think as soon as the starting Oline plays CJ will fare much better and hope that the offense is just vanilla preseason offense.
Mills had a decent day...still missing the long sideline throw and still has horrible ball placement (making WR's stop or slide to make catches when they have tons of room for YAC)
Keenum showed he's the vet we all expected to see...especially against 3rd stringers.

Next game vs the fins should be a good and interesting game...especially since they will have joint practices against each other working up to game day.

Tell me what Dell was supposed to run there?

It looks like a come backer, but if so, he ran the route way too deep.
Such a route requires the receiver to come back shortly after 10 yards; Dell didn't turn back until he reached about 17 yards deep.

I agree, it warrants criticism.

Reason for concern given the small sample size, yes. Reason to panic? No, thankfully his career is not defined by his first outing.

Warrants criticism. Lol
It does, he looked bad.... it doesnt mean he is a bust.

A bad day at work, is a bad day at work.

Doesn't mean it makes the person a bad worker.

IF someone makes a mistake, it doesn't change that mistakes are made simply because they are to be expected.

The interception he threw, didn't become a Texans reception/TD just cause he is a rookie and those mistakes are going to happen.

Last edited:

IF someone makes a mistake, it doesn't change that mistakes are made simply because they are to be expected.

The interception he threw, didn't become a Texans reception/TD just cause he is a rookie and those mistakes are going to happen.
No one can deny he had a bad outing...but no one can also deny the fact that he had no help from his LT, RG or RT...they played horribly against the starting pats d line.

Im still perplexed about them not giving him a better line in his first outing...especially since they knew it was gonna be around 2 series...I would have liked to see the outcome given a better line and see the chemistry they have built in training camp.

No one can deny he had a bad outing...but no one can also deny the fact that he had no help from his LT, RG or RT...they played horribly against the starting pats d line.

Im still perplexed about them not giving him a better line in his first outing...especially since they knew it was gonna be around 2 series...I would have liked to see the outcome given a better line and see the chemistry they have built in training camp.
I get the possible reasons that contributed to him having a bad day, crap line, rookie jitters.. etc.

But again, he looked like crap.... thats just the result... I'm going to call it as it is.

IF you had 4 QTRs of what we saw of CJ so far... NO ONE would be happy. Thankfully it WASN'T 4 qtrs and no where close... so its not something that is fair to define him as a bust.. by any means.. but... if you make mistakes... and someone criticize those mistakes.... its fair.... no one expects a rookie to be perfect and if you do not criticize those mistakes, there is no growth.

I just hope he is his own worst critic and it was a learning experience that causes him to grow. I do not hold his poor performance against him so long as his poor play remains on the small scale.

IF he comes out next game... or sucks all preseason but kills it come regular season... the criticism of his first games are still valid.... but they will no longer matter much if he excels beyond those mistakes.

We don't know what he will be at this point... its only opinions. But given sample size.... he did not amaze.... regardless of reasons.

Well of course he looked bad. He wasn’t set up for success either. Seriously he practiced with the ones for what 4 days straight. Only to go out there with the B team vs the Patriots starters.

Yes but some are making a really big deal without actually looking at everything they went wrong. The play calling was horrendous. Blocking was terrible overall during that small stretch.
But those very important factors doesn’t warrant criticism?

On one play the freaking running back should’ve at least chipped the free rusher. Another play the Tight end went to block air. One play the running back had to jump a little to Strouds left to avoid hitting him and get out on his route. Looks like the running back went the wrong way. But hey let’s only criticize the quarterback.

Both the Panthers and Colts went with their starting O-Lines with their rookie QBs starting. So, it was a bit different.
I was watching the Panthers just to see what they would do and like you stated they had their starters on the OL playing. It's only the first preseason game but with a new coaching staff, a highly drafted QB, plus the large roster turnover they should've at least had a couple of offensive reps for the perceived starters (minus Howard) on the OL.

I was watching the Panthers just to see what they would do and like you stated they had their starters on the OL playing. It's only the first preseason game but with a new coaching staff, a highly drafted QB, plus the large roster turnover they should've at least had a couple of offensive reps for the perceived starters (minus Howard) on the OL.
Exactly Sipper!

I haven't gone back to really study him, but media whipping boy Kenyon Green seemed to hold his own.
Wasn't really challenged much.
Gave up a pressure, forcing CJ to scramble up the middle.
Looked a bit meh on at least one run play.
Good thing he didn't look overmatched.

He played his first NFL snap behind an OL minus his bookend OT’s.
I think that's exactly what we needed to see. The 'rumors' about poor performance under pressure, low S2 score... ain't no rumor any more.

That doesn't mean I'm down on Stroud, or think it was a mistake to pick him, or think he's played his best football.

All it means is that there's work to do. He's got good qualities & traits, we saw that the last two years. We'll see them when the starting line gets together.

But the next two games, we're going to see him adjust to pressure. Better now than the regular season.

I think that's exactly what we needed to see. The 'rumors' about poor performance under pressure, low S2 score... ain't no rumor any more.

That doesn't mean I'm down on Stroud, or think it was a mistake to pick him, or think he's played his best football.

All it means is that there's work to do. He's got good qualities & traits, we saw that the last two years. We'll see them when the starting line gets together.

But the next two games, we're going to see him adjust to pressure. Better now than the regular season.
So what did he did bad under pressure?

Minus his RG too.

He agreed with my assessment - It was terrible.

Footwork - Bad.
Reads - Bad.
Decision making - Bad.
Ball placement - Bad.
Yeah and he also broke down the funky ash formation. The horrible blocking and missed assignments.
And he only had one bad read and that’s it. He didn’t say anything about ball placement.

Yeah and he also broke down the funky ash formation. The horrible blocking and missed assignments.
And he only had one bad read and that’s it.
Primary reason I wouldn't start a rookie QB. Any rookie QB. 1st preseason game, one starter on the OL, hopefully these "problems" disappear when the regular season starts.

Primary reason I wouldn't start a rookie QB. Any rookie QB. 1st preseason game, one starter on the OL, hopefully these "problems" disappear when the regular season starts.
I’m watching the Saints and Chiefs game. The Saints ran out their starters with their new QB D. Carr.
I don’t understand why we don’t follow those simple guidelines.

And guess what Mahomas is starting as well with his starters.

And he only had one bad read and that’s it. He didn’t say anything about ball placement.
None of that was good either.

But both Keenum and Mills were much better with the same or maybe even less talent on the field with them, with what amounts to the same play calling.

As for the decision to run CJ out there with that craptastic OL, that was ultimately Demeco's decision .... and not a good one.

If it were my decision, Keenum would be the starter for now with CJ being #2 or maybe even #3 getting his snaps against the other teams backups and dudes fighting for the tail end of the roster just to build some confidence.

None of that was good either.

But both Keenum and Mills were much better with the same or maybe even less talent on the field with them, with what amounts to the same play calling.

As for the decision to run CJ out there with that craptastic OL, that was ultimately Demeco's decision .... and not a good one.

If it were my decision, Keenum would be the starter for now with CJ being #2 or maybe even #3 getting his snaps against the other teams backups and dudes fighting for the tail end of the roster just to build some confidence.
Of course they were better. One has been in the league for 3 years and the other what 10. And they weren’t going up against the Patriots first team defense either.

Unfortunately these teams doesn’t think like you nor me. He was the second overall pick. So in today’s league they’re putting them out there from day one. Especially when you have the type of quarterback room that we have.

Of course they were better. One has been in the league for 3 years and the other what 10. And they weren’t going up against the Patriots first team defense either.

Unfortunately these teams doesn’t think like you nor me. He was the second overall pick. So I’m today’s league they’re putting them out there from day one. Especially when you have the type of quarterback room that we have.
And why are you so defensive?

Mills by all accounts regressed last year. The bottom line, we need to answer two questions about the qb position. First is whether Stroud shows enough development to be a starting rookie. The second is whether Mills shows enough to be the season starter.

With the signing of Perry and Keenum not being at practice, there's now a big question mark here.

So my point being, both Stroud's and Mills' play can and should be legitimately dissected in detail ... the good and the bad.

Back