Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Wildcard Round - Bills at Texans

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
What I meant is that Watson could have ran to the edge and probably gained a few more yards than just doing a qb sneak. OB probably didn't want to risk a turnover though.
If you ask me , and you didn't …. anyway , the defense knows its highly likely a run play and they stack literally everyone on the LOS. Its not likely you are getting outside with 11 defenders within 3-4 yards of the LOS.

That's one of those situations where if I don't think mine are better than yurn , the right thing to do is punt.
Obviously OB thought his were better than yurn …. and they weren't.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Agree with DT, I was fine with going for it too . But with the Bills stacking the gaps and considering The Texans weak line, the sneak was a poor decision.

Pretty sad we're still saying that despite having spent 3 #1 picks 2 #2's this year alone on the OL.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
They were up by three and inside the 30 I believe... punting was not the option there
I was speaking more in general terms …. while channeling my inner Bum Phillips.

Kicking the FG there does put more pressure on the opposing offense - now they have to score a TD.

Thing is , you get that yard , the game is over. I really cant knock OB for trying …. and you know how much I like beating up on OB.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Instead, BoB did what he hadn't done in the past (NE 2017, SEA 2017) he went for it & tried to end it........& he did it with a relatively safe play & he kept the ball in his best playmakers hands.............& folks like you are still bitching.
Not exactly. Most of us are fine with going for it to convert & end the game.

But it was not 4th & inches. It was 4th & 47.7 inches. That's a give it to your RB out of the I with a FB leading the way kind of go for it on 4th down.

That was a stretch to the long side of the field kind of go for it on 4th down situation.

That was a true RPO hope the DE crashes down hard go for it on 4th down situation.

That was not a QB sneak behind the worst run blocking Center in the league who you just overpaid go for it on 4th down situation.

Just wasn't.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Not exactly. Most of us are fine with going for it to convert & end the game.

But it was not 4th & inches. It was 4th & 47.7 inches. That's a give it to your RB out of the I with a FB leading the way kind of go for it on 4th down.

That was a stretch to the long side of the field kind of go for it on 4th down situation.

That was a true RPO hope the DE crashes down hard go for it on 4th down situation.

That was not a QB sneak behind the worst run blocking Center in the league who you just overpaid go for it on 4th down situation.

Just wasn't.
Eh, disagree. 4th & 1 is converted all the time via qb sneak against loaded boxes. Sure all the other plays you put forth are viable, i just think people think that those plays were more viable b/c Buffalo was ready for the qb sneak & wound up stopping it. Folks need to realize that Buffalo would've matched personnel & lined up according to whatever we sent out there. So this wasn't a situation where we come out in 11 personnel and they still have the same loaded goal line defense in the box.

disaacks3

Staff member
Eh, disagree. 4th & 1 is converted all the time via qb sneak against loaded boxes. Sure all the other plays you put forth are viable, i just think people think that those plays were more viable b/c Buffalo was ready for the qb sneak & wound up stopping it. Folks need to realize that Buffalo would've matched personnel & lined up according to whatever we sent out there. So this wasn't a situation where we come out in 11 personnel and they still have the same loaded goal line defense in the box.
We're actually in the upper half of the league (12th) in converting 4th downs, we were just playing the #3 Defense in a do-or-die situation.

As for "matching" personnel? Chip and release isn't exactly something you match personnel for, nor are quick slants from the slot. The Bills had great speed to the edges, and I was more in favor of misdirection than trying to run up the middle or outside.

O'Brien at least took the shot. If he has to take another one this postseason, I think you'll see something a bit more outside the box.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Eh. Though that may be true, I believe it's just another example of not putting your players in the best position to succeed. The Texans have an 81% success rate of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieve a first down. That's tops in the NFL.

To be fair, that does include QBs and I assume sneaks, so there's that.

Like TK said, this wasn't inches to go, this was a full yard or better. And this was off a TO where you had plenty of time to get creative, and Buffalo had plenty of time to beef up the line. It wasn't a rush up to the line and run it situation.

Yes, teams do still make it all the time in those situations, just thought with the time you had coming off the TO there could have been something a little more creative, to where if that didn't work we could all be bitching about why they didn't sneak it.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Eh. Though that may be true, I believe it's just another example of not putting your players in the best position to succeed. The Texans have an 81% success rate of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieve a first down. That's tops in the NFL.

Like TK said, this wasn't inches to go, this was a full yard or better. And this was off a TO where you had plenty of time to get creative, and Buffalo had plenty of time to beef up the line. It wasn't a rush up to the line and run it situation.

Yes, teams do still make it all the time in those situations, just thought with the time you had coming off the TO there could have been something a little more creative, to where if that didn't work we could all be bitching about why they didn't sneak it.
Just watched it, less than a yard, probably 2 feet

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
We're actually in the upper half of the league (12th) in converting 4th downs, we were just playing the #3 Defense in a do-or-die situation.

As for "matching" personnel? Chip and release isn't exactly something you match personnel for, nor are quick slants from the slot. The Bills had great speed to the edges, and I was more in favor of misdirection than trying to run up the middle or outside.

O'Brien at least took the shot. If he has to take another one this postseason, I think you'll see something a bit more outside the box.
I hope next time they 13 personnel. Spread them out and let and let DW4 make the call at the LOS whether to sneak it, or hit Hopkins/Fells with a quick pass off of RPO action. This worked last time against the Chiefs when they went for it on 4th and 3 to put the game away.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

This article is 3 years old, but still appears to be valid. Sneaks are the most successful route to successfully gain 1-2 yds on 3 or 4th down...........On the other hand the QB assumes some questionable risks of half dozen or more 300 pounders (~1800 #s) finding their way onto one body.............Schaub, Savage, Mahomes to mention a couple most would be familiar with.

The dying art of the QB sneak

1578533417971.png

Attachments

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
This article is 3 years old, but still appears to be valid. Sneaks are the most successful route to successfully gain 1-2 yds on 3 or 4th down...........On the other hand the QB assumes some questionable risks of half dozen or more 300 pounders (~1800 #s) finding their way onto one body.............Schaub, Savage, Mahomes to mention a couple most would be familiar with.

The dying art of the QB sneak

View attachment 5342
All of that is likely true too. But all sneaks aren’t equal. Rushing to the line and quickly snapping the ball is different from how it played out in that instance for the Texans where they’re coming off a timeout and everyone is prepared and ready for it. Inches away and a full yard away can make a difference too.

I just know the Texans have an 81% success rate on 3rd and 4th and less than 2, and I don’t remember a lot of QB sneaks getting that done.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
All of that is likely true too. But all sneaks aren’t equal. Rushing to the line and quickly snapping the ball is different from how it played out in that instance for the Texans where they’re coming off a timeout and everyone is prepared and ready for it. Inches away and a full yard away can make a difference too.

I just know the Texans have an 81% success rate on 3rd and 4th and less than 2, and I don’t remember a lot of QB sneaks getting that done.
Brady is the master of the QB sneak.............Over the course of his career, he has sneaked 175 times and converted 82 percent of the time, with 16 touchdowns.

austins23

Hall of Fame
If he has to take another one this postseason, I think you'll see something a bit more outside the box.
Like the 4th down conversion against the Chiefs.
This worked last time against the Chiefs when they went for it on 4th and 3 to put the game away.
Loved this play call. If I remember correctly Hopkins and Fuller were stacked out to the right of the formation. They confused the DB's off the line and boom, game over!

RedWave

Practice Squad
Cody Ford fined for block that played part in Bills' loss

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001095805/article/cody-ford-fined-for-block-that-played-part-in-bills-loss

Reinforcing the fact that Bills fans had nothing to whine about on that call.
Not really.

The NFL has a habit of backing up their officials on the field.

Example: Clowney clearly hit Wentz late (literally knocked him out of the game). Nearly everyone thought it should have been a penalty. A fine was expected. Shocker - no fine was issued.

It was pretty unanimous that people thought the call on Ford should not have been made. Pereira said so. McCauley said so. PFT said so. And on and on and on.

Then there was the play right before that (literally), that Allen got hit helmet-to-helmet. Should have been 15 yards and a first down. That would have put the Bills in FG range to win.

Then on 3rd and 18, the play-clock clearly ran out. Refs never called it. Bills LB and sideline were all pointing to it.

The reversed kickoff TD was also suspect. Common sense tells you that he gave himself up, but by the letter of the law (rulebook), he MUST take a knee. He didn’t. Technically, that should have been a Bills TD. I think it was NBC that showed the rule book where it said it.

The refs helped Houston quite a bit.

Attachments

Last edited: