Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Wildcard Round - Bills at Texans

The best alive

Practice Squad
Which has nothing to do with what I said about Tannehill.

I'm not alone their are a few of us out there. More will come around to my way of thinking if they dont win a championship. (I hope they do and I'm wrong) I've been on this island before with the McNair is a hands off owner and Smithiak will never win a championship stances. I'm very familiar with this territory.
You legit seem like you’d be happier if Texans didn’t win and
I have issues with you because you wanted savage to start you also claimed at time he was better

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I have issues with you because you wanted savage to start you also claimed at time he was better
I never claime Savage was better.

What I said was I wanted Savage to start because DW4 would get hurt playing behind that abysmal OL. Which he did.

I essentially wanted Savage to be a crash test dummy and posters were saying I was being mean. Which I found to be hilarious.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You legit seem like you’d be happier if Texans didn’t win and
And you would be very wrong since I have well over 6 figures invested in the Texans org.

There's a big difference in not thinking they can win and hoping they dont win.

There are alot of posters like you that cant grasp this concept.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
well bully for you and that’s dumb as can be for a team you emotionally invested in
You're not the 1st poster to call me dumb and wont be the last. BTW, what does bully for you mean? I'm not familiar with this phrase. I guess I'm getting old.

I have my reasons for liking to go to the games. But I'm not a blind fan.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Coutee isn’t in the doghouse anymore; he’s buried somewhere underneath it.

Rivers McCown (@riversmccown) Tweeted:
DeAndre Carter played 55 snaps (80%), and was the only WR/TE over eight snaps besides Hopkins/Stills/Fells.

He caught one ball for five yards on two targets. Keke Coutee was an active DNP.

Please be healthy, Will Fuller.

He most definitely won’t be a Texan next season

Texansballer74

The Marine
It's only a negative if your game plan tries to make him something he's not. Watson is who he is, now adjust the game plan accordingly and we're all set. The problem is that the game plan keeps trying to make him more of a pocket qb than he is.

Watson has shown he can deliver from the pocket as well as read the different defensive schemes.

The issue is quite a few things that some people refuses to address.

1. The offensive line still needs a lot of freaking work. They continue to blow their blocking assignments at high rate.
2. Drives are being killed with penalties ( Tunsil)

3. Receivers are not getting any separation and are not being schemed open CONSISTENTLY

4. We are not utilizing our skilled players correctly.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Watson has shown he can deliver from the pocket as well as read the different defensive schemes.

1. The offensive line still needs a lot of freaking work. They continue to blow their blocking assignments at high rate.

3. Receivers are not getting any separation and are not being schemed open CONSISTENTLY

You should be a coach! Seriously!

The best alive

Practice Squad

quit claiming he needs help

gwallaia

Staff member
I am loving all the Bills fans complaining on social media about the kick-off touchback and delay of game penalty not being called.

Don Bebe out of bounds MFs. Ha ha, Karma came back to get ya! 27 years in the making.

Now time to go back to the frozen ass crack in the buttocks of Lake Erie known as Buffalo, New York. Enjoy your winter

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

5. Playbook needs more plays that can counter the blitz

6. DW needs to be coached better to be able to adjust to the blitz and get rid of the ball faster.

7. New HC, OC, and QB Whisperer.

Reactions: ROO

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club

Yessir .... Good calls all, Tex ! The Old Curmudgeon got it right !

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
And you would be very wrong since I have well over 6 figures invested in the Texans org.

There's a big difference in not thinking they can win and hoping they dont win.

There are alot of posters like you that cant grasp this concept.
well bully for you and that’s dumb as can be for a team you emotionally invested in
While I don’t agree with steel about DW because of what he “sees”, I don’t disagree with him on wanting Savage to start over DW. I called for the same thing.

DW was the best QB the Texans would have since ever. OB has already been certified an idiot and possibly on his way out. The line was worse than OBs coaching. Why would you want a coach on his way out to use the best QB this franchise has ever had using him to save his job? You are literally handing keys to a Ferrari to a teenager.

The purpose to start Savage was:
1. Keep DW safe from OB and healthy
2. Avoid him getting David Carr’d
3. See what you have in Savage for possible trade to get a low draft pick.
4. Let him learn the same way Rodgers did.

As we all know DW got hurt and couldn’t finish the season. Savage got concussed in the worst possible way. Most expected OB to be fired, but he salvaged his job almost as an amazing fashion as DW plays.

Starting Savage was in the best interest of DW. As a fan of the Texans and DW I would still call for Savage to start because of what I know about OB.

mws

Rookie
Starting Savage was in the best interest of DW. As a fan of the Texans and DW I would still call for Savage to start because of what I know about OB.
I agree that letting Watson sit behind another QB would not have been bad if they had the right QB in mind. My problem is that it was Savage specifically.

It just seems that after drafting him in 2014 that by 2017 somebody on the Texans coaching staff should have realized that he was not a starting NFL QB or even a solid backup.

It's sad that all way through training camp O'Brien really thought Savage gave them a chance to compete. O'Brien was committed that Savage was the best QB in preseason. It only took one half of the first game for him to crawfish on everything that had been said & done & start Watson.

Once again it's not that they had a bad plan. It's the total incompetent way that they put that plan into action.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I agree that letting Watson sit behind another QB would not have been bad if they had the right QB in mind. My problem is that it was Savage specifically.

It just seems that after drafting him in 2014 that by 2017 somebody on the Texans coaching staff should have realized that he was not a starting NFL QB or even a solid backup.

It's sad that all way through training camp O'Brien really thought Savage gave them a chance to compete. O'Brien was committed that Savage was the best QB in preseason. It only took one half of the first game for him to crawfish on everything that had been said & done & start Watson.

Once again it's not that they had a bad plan. It's the total incompetent way that they put that plan into action.
I don’t know how much you can believe this leak, but it was reported that Rick Smith talked OB out of starting him. Maybe Rick thought OB was on his way out and didn’t want him screwing up Watson?

mws

Rookie
Here's an excerpt from the article you linked. The bolded is what bothers me the most about the whole Savage saga.

"O'Brien had earlier named Savage the starter, and his admiration of the four-year vet is well-known. Yet this report indicates it was Smith, the man who engineered the blockbuster trade to move up and select Watson, who was preaching patience with the young phenom. Many suspected it was O’Brien delaying the inevitable."

ROO

Tweak the offense already!
Is there anywhere on the internet to see the game again? Specifically, I want to see the 4 plays that were used at the end of the 4th quarter when the Texans had gotten the ball back with around 1:35 left on the clock.

Bills' had all 3 time-outs left so Texans needed to get a first down to end the game. Does anyone remember exactly what the plays were, or have video? I know the 4th down play was a QB sneak with about 1.5 yards needed for the first down. Bills stacked the gaps and Texans came up short. The other 3 plays were runs, were they up the middle on all three? I remember that it really pissed me off that O'Brien didn't do something different to really try and get the first down.

Compare this to the Seahawks - when they needed a first down to wrap up the game, and with the Eagles stacking the line, they hit a pass play which sewed it up. O'Brien is too damn scared to do something other than run up the middle into a stacked line.

So, anyone remember the exact sequence?

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
So, anyone remember the exact sequence?
Below from the Game Book (you can get from NFL.com - go to NFL.com, click on 'Scores' then find the game you want and click on the 'Game Details' link once in the game details there is an option to download the Game Book).

Houston Texans at 1:35
1-10-BUF 39 (1:35) (Shotgun) D.Watson right guard to BUF 34 for 5 yards (T.Edmunds).
Timeout #1 by BUF at 01:31.
2-5-BUF 34 (1:31) (Shotgun) C.Hyde up the middle to BUF 31 for 3 yards (S.Lawson).
Timeout #2 by BUF at 01:27.
3-2-BUF 31 (1:27) (Shotgun) C.Hyde up the middle to BUF 30 for 1 yard (T.Murphy).
Timeout #3 by BUF at 01:21.
4-1-BUF 30 (1:21) D.Watson up the middle to BUF 30 for no gain (S.Lotulelei).

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
While I don’t agree with steel about DW because of what he “sees”, I don’t disagree with him on wanting Savage to start over DW. I called for the same thing.

DW was the best QB the Texans would have since ever. OB has already been certified an idiot and possibly on his way out. The line was worse than OBs coaching. Why would you want a coach on his way out to use the best QB this franchise has ever had using him to save his job? You are literally handing keys to a Ferrari to a teenager.

The purpose to start Savage was:
1. Keep DW safe from OB and healthy
2. Avoid him getting David Carr’d
3. See what you have in Savage for possible trade to get a low draft pick.
4. Let him learn the same way Rodgers did.

As we all know DW got hurt and couldn’t finish the season. Savage got concussed in the worst possible way. Most expected OB to be fired, but he salvaged his job almost as an amazing fashion as DW plays.

Sitting Watson for a year, maybe even just half the year, would have been fine....had they had a legit QB with some experience. Tom Savage was not that QB. He had all of 2 starts under his belt.

So either Savage gets killed out there and and you're going with Watson anyway, or you simply just go with the better talent from the get-go.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Sitting Watson for a year, maybe even just half the year, would have been fine....had they had a legit QB with some experience. Tom Savage was not that QB. He had all of 2 starts under his belt.

So either Savage gets killed out there and and you're going with Watson anyway, or you simply just go with the better talent from the get-go.
That first game was against the Jags when they were a defensive powerhouse. Savage ended up getting pulled prior to being killed.

Was that the year we were trying to get Romo?

Regardless, both QBs got hurt. The crime in it all was having any QB behind that line. Even if a quality QB like Romo was here to mentor Watson, that QB would have been killed too.

That’s why I don’t knock the move to get Tunsil. We wouldn’t have as much as a chance in the playoffs with Davenport as LT.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
I am loving all the Bills fans complaining on social media about the kick-off touchback and delay of game penalty not being called.

Don Bebe out of bounds MFs. Ha ha, Karma came back to get ya! 27 years in the making.

Now time to go back to the frozen ass crack in the buttocks of Lake Erie known as Buffalo, New York. Enjoy your winter
It appeared that the rule had changed because this ENTIRE season they were allowing the returner to NOT kneel and just give yourself up. Toss the ball to the ref etc.

It’s been awhile but not only did Bebe step out before he caught that pass but if I recall Talley also should have been flagged for PI on Givens on the Nate Odoms INT. Alas, there were so MANY miscues by the Oilers before that play you just felt like it was meant to be. I mean as a person I’m over it but as a fan I still get a sinking feeling just posting about it.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I don't knock the move to get him either. My only issue is that it took so long to address it, and because it did, you had to pay through the nose.
True.

What’s strange is they swung and missed on potential solutions. But it’s like that was the only plan they had. No plan B.

Then here comes William O’Brien the GM and poof it’s solved. He must have actually listened and heard Bill O’Brien the HC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
True.

What’s strange is they swung and missed on potential solutions. But it’s like that was the only plan they had. No plan B.

Then here comes William O’Brien the GM and poof it’s solved. He must have actually listened and heard Bill O’Brien the HC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep,

Does anybody find it odd that the 1st yr the Texans have a full compliment of draft picks without RS as GM, they draft an OT in rd 1 an OG in rd 2 and trade for a very promising 25 yr old LT all in the same yr?

Yep, I would say BOB values a strong OL and I could even see him adding another later rd OL in the draft for depth purposes. Rds 4-7

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Yep,

Does anybody find it odd that the 1st yr the Texans have a full compliment of draft picks without RS as GM, they draft an OT in rd 1 an OG in rd 2 and trade for a very promising 25 yr old LT all in the same yr?

Yep, I would say BOB values a strong OL and I could even see him adding another later rd OL in the draft for depth purposes. Rds 4-7
But if GM Rick Smith was getting the guys OB wanted why such the disfunction? There were trades during the draft we didn’t see with Kubiak to get players that were high on OBs list?

Still doesn’t make sense.

ROO

Below from the Game Book (you can get from NFL.com - go to NFL.com, click on 'Scores' then find the game you want and click on the 'Game Details' link once in the game details there is an option to download the Game Book).

Houston Texans at 1:35
1-10-BUF 39 (1:35) (Shotgun) D.Watson right guard to BUF 34 for 5 yards (T.Edmunds).
Timeout #1 by BUF at 01:31.
2-5-BUF 34 (1:31) (Shotgun) C.Hyde up the middle to BUF 31 for 3 yards (S.Lawson).
Timeout #2 by BUF at 01:27.
3-2-BUF 31 (1:27) (Shotgun) C.Hyde up the middle to BUF 30 for 1 yard (T.Murphy).
Timeout #3 by BUF at 01:21.
4-1-BUF 30 (1:21) D.Watson up the middle to BUF 30 for no gain (S.Lotulelei).
Thanks for the heads up on where to find this stuff.

The first and second down plays seem fine, perhaps even third down, but the sneak on 4th down with a long yard to go was pitiful. The Bills had the gaps stuffed, Deshaun and the OL haven't exactly been a sneak team all year, so it was a bad call IMO. On that series, why not try to do something out wide on at least one of those plays?

And compare to the Seahawks at the end of their game, same situation, Pete Carrol had the guts to let his offense make the first down and the Eagles did not get the ball back. In my head, it just shows the ineptitude of BOB running this offense.

Seems the Texans usually win on a bunch of "busted plays" where Watson is improvising and making something happen. And if that is the case, it just goes to show that O'brains' system is crappy.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
But if GM Rick Smith was getting the guys OB wanted why such the disfunction? There were trades during the draft we didn’t see with Kubiak to get players that were high on OBs list?

Still doesn’t make sense.
Small trades like moving up a spot to pick WFV. RS learned about getting jumped in the draft when BB traded up just ahead of RS for Jimmy G.

RS was a slow learner but he learned this, not surprisingly the hard way. (Gaine had this issue too.) The reason RS wasn't good at his job was he was more of a politician than a guy who grinds tape looking for gems.

You think the 7 yrs of Smithiak that Kubiak didn't want RS to draft a QB in a rd earlier than rd.6? Yates and Brink were the only 2 QB's drafted in the 8 yrs of Kubiak. You will never convince me that a coach who worked under Walsh (Kubiak) placed so little value on the QB position. Same with RS/BOB.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The first and second down plays seem fine, perhaps even third down, but the sneak on 4th down with a long yard to go was pitiful.
I don't know why this doesn't get more play.

I think this is an example of BO'b having no business calling plays. Of all the times we should call a QB sneak, this was not it.

I also think Watson should have called a TO, or gone on to another play. It made no sense to me watching from my couch, surely he knew standing under center.

I can't separate Bill O'Brien from Watson on some of these calls. They're both culpable.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I don't know why this doesn't get more play.

I think this is an example of BO'b having no business calling plays. Of all the times we should call a QB sneak, this was not it.

I also think Watson should have called a TO, or gone on to another play. It made no sense to me watching from my couch, surely he knew standing under center.

I can't separate Bill O'Brien from Watson on some of these calls. They're both culpable.
I thought about that too. Watson sometimes gets more yards running to the sideline than he does making a sneak. Maybe OB didn't want to risk a turnover?

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
I thought about that too. Watson sometimes gets more yards running to the sideline than he does making a sneak. Maybe OB didn't want to risk a turnover?
I suspect this is sarcasm and if so, it's pretty clever. It's like not intercepting a 4th down pass unless you can run it back beyond the LOS.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I suspect this is sarcasm and if so, it's pretty clever. It's like not intercepting a 4th down pass unless you can run it back beyond the LOS.
What I meant is that Watson could have ran to the edge and probably gained a few more yards than just doing a qb sneak. OB probably didn't want to risk a turnover though.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
What I meant is that Watson could have ran to the edge and probably gained a few more yards than just doing a qb sneak. OB probably didn't want to risk a turnover though.
The part about risking a turnover is what I was addressing. A turnover would have the same effect as failing to convert on 4th down. You were poking fun at OB by suggesting that he didn't realize this, right?

BTW, there was much to be said for a coffin corner punt instead of going for it.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
The part about risking a turnover is what I was addressing. A turnover would have the same effect as failing to convert on 4th down. You were poking fun at OB by suggesting that he didn't realize this, right?

BTW, there was much to be said for a coffin corner punt instead of going for it.
He probably should have just kicked the field goal.

ROO

Agree with DT, I was fine with going for it too . But with the Bills stacking the gaps and considering The Texans weak line, the sneak was a poor decision.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Thanks for the heads up on where to find this stuff.

The first and second down plays seem fine, perhaps even third down, but the sneak on 4th down with a long yard to go was pitiful. The Bills had the gaps stuffed, Deshaun and the OL haven't exactly been a sneak team all year, so it was a bad call IMO. On that series, why not try to do something out wide on at lest one of those plays?

And compare to the Seahawks at the end of their game, same situation, Pete Carrol had the guts to let his offense make the first down and the Eagles did not get the ball back. In my head, it just shows the ineptitude of BOB running this offense.

Seems the Texans usually win on a bunch of "busted plays" where Watson is improvising and making something happen. And if that is the case, it just goes to show that O'brains' system is crappy.
This is all hindsight & just foolhardiness. Lets go back to the actual circumstances of the game shall we?

You guys absolutely hate him running it up the middle with the rb.......ok so how about a safe pass? Could've done that, but lets consider a few things here 1st. DW4 had been sacked 7 times throughout the game........& he probably escaped another 7 more near sacks. Considering we were already in FG range, If BoB runs a pass play there & its not converted, it stops the clock.....that's an advantage for Buffalo who has no TO's...Then ya'll are screaming "GAME MANAGEMENT ERRORS BY BOB!!! What about something worse like an int? folks would've been screaming about him NOT running a qb sneak or some lower risk play there........especially if we had a shot to put more points on the board..........which we did, we were in range for a 46 yd fg.

Instead, BoB did what he hadn't done in the past (NE 2017, SEA 2017) he went for it & tried to end it........& he did it with a relatively safe play & he kept the ball in his best playmakers hands.............& folks like you are still bitching.

Damned if you, damned if you don't.

ROO

This is all hindsight & just foolhardiness. Lets go back to the actual circumstances of the game shall we?

You guys absolutely hate him running it up the middle with the rb.......ok so how about a safe pass? Could've done that, but lets consider a few things here 1st. DW4 had been sacked 7 times throughout the game........& he probably escaped another 7 more near sacks. Considering we were already in FG range, If BoB runs a pass play there & its not converted, it stops the clock.....that's an advantage for Buffalo who has no TO's...Then ya'll are screaming "GAME MANAGEMENT ERRORS BY BOB!!! What about something worse like an int? folks would've been screaming about him NOT running a qb sneak or some lower risk play there........especially if we had a shot to put more points on the board..........which we did, we were in range for a 46 yd fg.

Instead, BoB did what he hadn't done in the past (NE 2017, SEA 2017) he went for it & tried to end it........& he did it with a relatively safe play & he kept the ball in his best playmakers hands.............& folks like you are still bitching.

Damned if you, damned if you don't.
Well, The Bills had all three timeouts left. Texans had to make them use the timeouts and that is what the Texans did by not throwing incomplete passes. So it isn't the fact that the Texans ran the ball that is in question. It is the location of the runs that are at issue.

All 4 plays were up the middle. A run to the outside would have been nice, considering that the Bills were jamming the box. Getting Watson or Hyde outside on one of the 4 plays would have been better. Probably should have gone outside on the third down play.

Really, 4 plays up the middle into a stacked box was just dumb. And they had a third and two and had two plays to make two yards. They couldn't. The QB sneak was just dumb - and saying that a QB sneak is putting the ball in the hands of the "playmakers" is not true. Deshaun is not a freaking power back that is gonna bull his way through 300+ pound lineman in the gaps. At least one of those plays should have sent Deshaun outside.

Hey, it's all just opinions, and mine is that Cal needs to demand that Bill get a real OC that will tweak the offense to better suit the players strengths. But if you think BOB did the right thing by running 4 times up the middle, well, okay, I guess you are happy with BOBs scheme, but many of us are not.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Well, The Bills had all three timeouts left. Texans had to make them use the timeouts and that is what the Texans did by not throwing incomplete passes. So it isn't the fact that the Texans ran the ball that is in question. It is the location of the runs that are at issue.

All 4 plays were up the middle. A run to the outside would have been nice, considering that the Bills were jamming the box. Getting Watson or Hyde outside on one of the 4 plays would have been better. Probably should have gone outside on the third down play.

Really, 4 plays up the middle into a stacked box was just dumb. And they had a third and two and had two plays to make two yards. They couldn't. The QB sneak was just dumb - and saying that a QB sneak is putting the ball in the hands of the "playmakers" is not true. Deshaun is not a freaking power back that is gonna bull his way through 300+ pound lineman in the gaps. At least one of those plays should have sent Deshaun outside.

Hey, it's all just opinions, and mine is that Cal needs to demand that Bill get a real OC that will tweak the offense to better suit the players strengths. But if you think BOB did the right thing by running 4 times up the middle, well, okay, I guess you are happy with BOBs scheme, but many of us are not.

He didn't need to be a "power back" to get 1 yard on a qb sneak man..we see qbs get that all the time on those types of plays......against loaded boxes no less.

The Bills only had the box stacked like that on that play b/c of the tight formation we were in..which signaled to them we were going to do what we did. They knew we were going to run it.......b/c that's what you do in that situation. But...I actually think we did try to attack the edges. I believe it was Hyde's 2 yard carry...that play was designed for him to go off tackle....He turned it back inside b/c the Bills edge guys blew it up. But in trying to do that, it's just as likely we lose a yard or more as it is that we convert it. Hyde's carry signals that.

You're also still leaving out the fact that we were roughly on the edge of FG range in all this. By the time the 4th down play came along I believe it would've been a 46 yarder...........if BoB had've chose to kick it instead of go for it there. So even a 1 yard loss on any of the 3 previous plays likely takes that option off the table & we're punting it instead of being in position to go for it like we were.

Could you have run some other different plays? Sure, but it wasn't any more likely that we would've been successful if we chose to do something else other than what we did. More bad could actually happen. I just really didn't have a problem with the calls in that sequence.

ROO

I just really didn't have a problem with the calls in that sequence.
And I did. BOB turtled, the Bills marched down the field and got 3, and then the game went into overtime. But you are correct in that hindsight is 20/20. Hell, Watson could have been sent outside, he may have fumbled, and the Bills could have returned it for a TD. Who knows?

Still isn't going to change my opinion that Bob sucked on that series of playcalls.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I liked the aggressiveness to win the game right there. I even liked the call for a QB sneak. But after seeing the Bill's defensive alignment, I would have preferred someone calling a timeout to re-think the play.
I had zero problem going for it there. I did have issue with the play call though. The thing about calling a sneak there was A) it wasn’t like it was inches to go. It was a full yard. B) it’s coming off a timeout so the Bills were able to get the personnel in and had 5 players from B gap to B gap.

And you’re coming off a timeout. Plenty of time to come up with a play to get a yard to win a ballgame.