Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Who's worth keeping on a multi-year deal on this Texans roster?

Number19

Hall of Fame
The same AJ that back a Sexual Predator in the Sexual Predators desire to get traded? And I'm not saying AJ was all wrong. But he, like alot of posters on here backed the wrong horse.

Culley is and always was a placeholder. The next HC will truly be Caserio's 1st HC hire. I thought Culley would last 2 yrs before a change would be made. Now I'm thinking he may be gone after this season. Which is kinda sad because I'm kinda liking Lovie's defense.
O'Brian's contract, I believe, runs through 2023 and Culley's through 2025.

The biggest embarrassment this year has been the offense and this really can't be put on Culley. Fixing the offense is a simple matter if they would commit to the fix. Then see what 2022 & 2023 look like. Culley will be around until then - 3 years. I do believe Tim Kelly may be gone.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans

The biggest embarrassment this year has been the offense and this really can't be put on Culley. Fixing the offense is a simple matter if they would commit to the fix. Then see what 2022 & 2023 look like. Culley will be around until then - 3 years. I do believe Tim Kelly may be gone.
I agree. If Culley gets another season the next change should be dumping Kelly which would finally cut the last string to the OB era. If Caserio and Culley agree on this….then I could see Culley getting another chance. Lovie is just missing the requisite talent in making his defense pretty impressive. Get a really strong OC and Culley just might be able to do his job next season while leaving the offense and defense to his coordinators.

Last edited:

Porky

Hall of Fame
The same AJ that back a Sexual Predator in the Sexual Predators desire to get traded? And I'm not saying AJ was all wrong. But he, like alot of posters on here backed the wrong horse.

Culley is and always was a placeholder. The next HC will truly be Caserio's 1st HC hire. I thought Culley would last 2 yrs before a change would be made. Now I'm thinking he may be gone after this season. Which is kinda sad because I'm kinda liking Lovie's defense.
You think Casserio hired Culley? I'll give you a hint. Who hired Casserio. And if you say Cal - wrong answer.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You think Casserio hired Culley? I'll give you a hint. Who hired Casserio. And if you say Cal - wrong answer.
I think Caserio was told to hire a minority candidate and was told not to hire Bienemy. So it came down to Frazier or Culley. Caserio chose Culley because at age 66 he was the better placeholder of the 2. My question is do you think Janice made the call to hire Culley.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think Caserio was told to hire a minority candidate and was told not to hire Bienemy. So it came down to Frazier or Culley. Caserio chose Culley because at age 66 he was the better placeholder of the 2. My question is do you think Janice made the call to hire Culley.
I don’t think Caserio needed to be told not to hire Bieniemy. The word is out & no one’s going to hire him.

I don’t know what the issue is. But we’ve gone through three hiring cycles & he’s not gotten any serious consideration.

Caserio shocked everyone putting Culley’s name in the hat. Looks to me like he had his mind made up before he got here. Caserio interviewed Cal/Easterby guys out of respect, but he was set on Culley.

banned1976

sleeper mode
To answer the question of this thread title:

Everyone. Everyone including Kelly and Culley because they've done a great job developing a bunch of veteran jags. They are only 2-9 because Taylor didn't play every game. Had Taylor played every game the Texans would have won 15 games by now. The Tennessee game where the Texans "shocked the world"...that was the REAL Texans. All those games they lost by double digits? Outliers.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
To answer the question of this thread title:

Everyone. Everyone including Kelly and Culley because they've done a great job developing a bunch of veteran jags. They are only 2-9 because Taylor didn't play every game. Had Taylor played every game the Texans would have won 15 games by now. The Tennessee game where the Texans "shocked the world"...that was the REAL Texans. All those games they lost by double digits? Outliers.
I'm always envious of folks who have better weed than me.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
arguable..
Let me go steelb here:
2-14 is worse than 4-12. :brando:

Would you take Taylor or Carr?

The current offensive line is loaded with proven FAs and high round picks.
Most of Kubiak's guys were oldies and you can't say they were better than Cannon, let alone Tunsil.

Kubiak had Wally Lundi and fat Ron Dayne.

OD was a rookie 4th rounder.

His no. 3 receiver was Walter, with all of 42 catches the previous 3 years as a former 7th rounder.

His no.4 receiver was David Anderson, a rookie 7th rounder.

The DC was Richard Smith, enough said.
Sure, they had some talents on defense, but two of them were rookies.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Yeah, two rookies including the #1 overall and the other the DROY
And noticed you completely skipped over such bright lights as Andre Johnson, Vontae Leach, Dunta Robinson, Chester Pitts, Jason Babin, Owen Daniels, N.D. Kalu, Seth Payne, Anthony Weaver and Eric Winston.

How can you even compare?

Texansballer74

The Marine

I put some of it on Culley because he’s not more involved. He said he let his coaches coach. But when you see things not working, he must/have to intervene. He’s also stuck on this notion of their identity of running the ball.

Number19

Hall of Fame
I put some of it on Culley because he’s not more involved. He said he let his coaches coach. But when you see things not working, he must/have to intervene. He’s also stuck on this notion of their identity of running the ball.
This notion that the Texans seem to want the identity of a strong running team, if accurate, and I also believe this is true, should be committed to, and is why I believe our first two picks in April's draft should be OG's. Then, maybe, a 3rd or 4th round pick should be a C. Finally, in the 6th round, we should select two RB's.

The order of the Texans draft picks seem to match pretty well with talented prospects these positions; and the draft being deep for Edge, CB's and Safeties, we should still be able to address these needs with high picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Drafting our interior offensive line will also help our passing game.

Thinking back to the Oilers Mathews and Munchak, this is what I want to see and players of this quality must be a draft committment.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Munchack and Matthews were both high 1st round draft picks. It took years to build that line; it wasn't done in one year like you are proposing
M&M were taken in back to back drafts. With our high draft position, if the Texans chooses to do so, we can take Green (LG) and Kinnard (RG) and solidify our interior in one year, with the additional addition of a C with a mid-round selection. By trading our #2/34 back up into the bottom of the first, we'll have both OG's for 5 years to develope our line.

We already have our tackles for the near term, so yes, I can see us having our OL set with this one draft.

All it takes is commitment and putting off drafting a stud defensive player until 2023.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Let me go steelb here:

Most of Kubiak's guys were oldies and you can't say they were better than Cannon, let alone Tunsil.

His no. 3 receiver was Walter, with all of 42 catches the previous 3 years as a former 7th rounder.

Gobble gobble swallow

I'm sure I wont be changing your mind.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yeah, two rookies including the #1 overall and the other the DROY
And noticed you completely skipped over such bright lights as Andre Johnson, Vontae Leach, Dunta Robinson, Chester Pitts, Jason Babin, Owen Daniels, N.D. Kalu, Seth Payne, Anthony Weaver and Eric Winston.

How can you even compare?
Yep, there's not an AJ on this team.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Munchack and Matthews were both high 1st round draft picks. It took years to build that line; it wasn't done in one year like you are proposing
Not really, 1 yr they also drafted Salem also.

And yr 3 they spent a high pick on Steinkuhler.

It's about commitment..

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
M&M were taken in back to back drafts. With our high draft position, if the Texans chooses to do so, we can take Green (LG) and Kinnard (RG) and solidify our interior in one year, with the additional addition of a C with a mid-round selection. By trading our #2/34 back up into the bottom of the first, we'll have both OG's for 5 years to develope our line.

We already have our tackles for the near term, so yes, I can see us having our OL set with this one draft.

All it takes is commitment and putting off drafting a stud defensive player until 2023.
I like this way of thinking and would like it to happen. I think it's more likely that Thibodeaux/Hutchinson/Stingley would be the pick at 1-2 and Kinnard would be the pick at 2-34. I would be for trading back up into the 1st for Kinnard. He's going to be a long time starter.

Hopefully Caserio also adds a center in FA/Draft.

I think a massive upgrade on the OL would cost 2-34 and 3-98. Stromberg drafted in the 3rd.

Tunsil/Howard/Stromberg/Kinnard/Heck would be an above avg OL IMHO and if Howard doesn't play very well next yr you let him walk in FA and draft another OG.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Let me go steelb here:

:runaway:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

Assuming Green and Kinnard are HOF players and Howard can develop as a Tackle and you find a very good center and then find a HOF RB

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So 3 years not 1
Yes, of premium talent.

They've already got 1 premium talent on the OL. Just need to add a couple of more. Adding a couple of premium talents would make this OL look much better. This can be done in this yrs draft. In fact it probably should be done in this yrs draft. They gotta find 1 premium guy atleast in this yrs draft. Which is why I wouldn't be against trading back into the 25-27 range for Kinnard.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Yes, of premium talent.

They've already got 1 premium talent on the OL. Just need to add a couple of more. Adding a couple of premium talents would make this OL look much better. This can be done in this yrs draft. In fact it probably should be done in this yrs draft. They gotta find 1 premium guy atleast in this yrs draft. Which is why I wouldn't be against trading back into the 25-27 range for Kinnard.
I can't seeing it NOT being this draft. With the embarrassment of our offense, it has to be front and center on everyone's mind. The only question, as I see it, is how.

OptimisticTexan

RD1. Green (LG- Texas A&M)
RD2. Johnson (LG- Boston College)

RD4 or RD5
C- Schmitz (Minnesota)
Or
C- Stromberg (Arkansas)
Or
C- Ford (Utah)

All 5 guys can run and pass block but their primary strength is destroying opponents in the run game. The Texans have to make every effort to fortify the OL to move their running game into a strength. If the Texans could get Watson traded…..they’d have the assets to make these picks.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
RD1. Green (LG- Texas A&M)
RD2. Johnson (LG- Boston College)

RD4 or RD5
C- Schmitz (Minnesota)
Or
C- Stromberg (Arkansas)
Or
C- Ford (Utah)

All 5 guys can run and pass block but their primary strength is destroying opponents in the run game. The Texans have to make every effort to fortify the OL to move their running game into a strength. If the Texans could get Watson traded…..they’d have the assets to make these picks.
And you're going to fix the defense with the remaining 4 or 5 picks?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
And you're going to fix the defense with the remaining 4 or 5 picks?
If it's me and I cant trade down, I'm picking 1-2 Stingley (If healthy) and trading back into the late 1st for Kinnard and trying to sign the best OL I can get in FA. There should be an IOL available in FA that Caserio can afford.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
If it's me and I cant trade down, I'm picking 1-2 Stingley (If healthy) and trading back into the late 1st for Kinnard and trying to sign the best OL I can get in FA. There should be an IOL available in FA that Caserio can afford.
I know what you'd do but that wasn't the convo... he's spending the top 2 on OL

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I know what you'd do but that wasn't the convo... he's spending the top 2 on OL
There's not an OL in this draft that's worthy of a top 2 pick. There's not a young Tyron Smith or Quinten Nelson in this draft. IMHO

However there will probably be 5 or more OL picked in the 1st rd. There's some really good value in the mid/late 1st rd.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Great debate fellas. I don’t see them drafting two OL in the first round.
I could see Caserio going best defensive player available at 1-2 (Any of Hutchinson/Thibodeaux/Stingley would make me happy.) Then grab the best OL available at 2-34, or even trade back into the 1st to get the OL Caserio really wants. Would you be OK with trading back into the bottom of the 1st for a guy like Kinnard if it cost the Saints 3rd?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
There's not an OL in this draft that's worthy of a top 2 pick. There's not a young Tyron Smith or Quinten Nelson in this draft. IMHO

However there will probably be 5 or more OL picked in the 1st rd. There's some really good value in the mid/late 1st rd.
He was talking spending the first 2 round picks on OG's and then a 4th or 5th round on a Center... I don't see that

OptimisticTexan

He was talking spending the first 2 round picks on OG's and then a 4th or 5th round on a Center... I don't see that
I included the thought of Watson being traded in the post and returning enough value in the 2022 draft for the Texans to have some additional early picks to work with.

I was thinking along the lines of this angle….if Watson realizes Miami isn’t going to make the move and then he understands the reality of possibly sitting for another season he just might have his moment of common sense and waive the NTC in his contract so the Texans can move him to a team that needs a QB1.

I think the Texans approach the Eagles who have the capital to make a deal happen. If the #2 spot is appealing….maybe the Texans go this route:

Eagles Get:
Watson
RD1-02

Texans Get:
RD1-08
RD1-09
RD1-14
RD2-40
RD3-74
RD1
RD1

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I included the thought of Watson being traded in the post and returning enough value in the 2022 draft for the Texans to have some additional early picks to work with.

I was thinking along the lines of this angle….if Watson realizes Miami isn’t going to make the move and then he understands the reality of possibly sitting for another season he just might have his moment of common sense and waive the NTC in his contract so the Texans can move him to a team that needs a QB1.

I think the Texans approach the Eagles who have the capital to make a deal happen. If the #2 spot is appealing….maybe the Texans go this route:

Eagles Get:
Watson
RD1-02

Texans Get:
RD1-08
RD1-09
RD1-14
RD2-40
RD3-74
RD1
RD1
I can see why you've got "optimistic" in your name. :lol:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

Eagles Get:
Watson
RD1-02

Texans Get:
RD1-08
RD1-09
RD1-14
RD2-40
RD3-74
RD1
RD1
Yeah if that ever happened it would snow in June when the moon was blue

Texansballer74

The Marine
I could see Caserio going best defensive player available at 1-2 (Any of Hutchinson/Thibodeaux/Stingley would make me happy.) Then grab the best OL available at 2-34, or even trade back into the 1st to get the OL Caserio really wants. Would you be OK with trading back into the bottom of the 1st for a guy like Kinnard if it cost the Saints 3rd?

Oh most definitely, especially if it’s a player that’s worth it.