Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Who should Caserio target as the next HC?

beerlover

Hall of Fame
A role model for the community? Who cares about that. I guess Sean Payton and his Oxy aren't going to be under consideration. Dan Quinn is the only DC that I would even begin to consider. I would guess he meets your criteria.

There are no true franchise QB's in the 2023 draft. IMHO

Wouldn't a new HC in 2024 rather start his program with the QB of his choosing from the 2024 draft?

Give me Kalfka, Northwestern grad. Learned under Reid/Daboll, has been successful everywhere he's beem
Kalfka is an interesting choice. Norv Turner 2.0?

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Not only will Payton come out of his self-imposed retirement to work for a team that has three new head coaches in three years (four if you count Romeo interim)… but he’ll also let the management responsible for the mess pick his staff!
Do you think Caserio is responsible for the current mess?

Texansballer74

The Marine
A role model for the community? Who cares about that. I guess Sean Payton and his Oxy aren't going to be under consideration. Dan Quinn is the only DC that I would even begin to consider. I would guess he meets your criteria.

There are no true franchise QB's in the 2023 draft. IMHO

Wouldn't a new HC in 2024 rather start his program with the QB of his choosing from the 2024 draft?

Give me Kalfka, Northwestern grad. Learned under Reid/Daboll, has been successful everywhere he's beem
Smh.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
And, put your tin foil hat on, if after working briefly with Pioli, who got Easterby the gig in New England,
I believe it was Brian Daboll. Both were in KC in 2012, and Daboll left to join the Pats in 2013. Daboll recommended Easterby to Belichick, as the Pats were going thru the Aaron Hernandez thing.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What are you shaking your head about in that post?

What's not true? Except you may disagree about a franchise QB in this draft and you know what history says one of these guys will be a franchise QB. I wouldn't be willing to gamble on which one. Why? Because I don't like any of them and if I was to pick the wrong one it sets the franchise back another decade and we will be saying I can't believe after 3 decades we're still having this discussion.

For the 1st time since their inception I'm hoping Cal will be patient. Do I expect this to happen? Nope, why, marketing. Will the Texans win more games if they were to draft a QB next year? Yep, will they win championships? Nope IMHO These guys aren't garbage, but they aren't top 5-10 material. IMHO

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Do y’all remember when Todd Haley, Scott Pioli and Easterby were in KC together and Haley said his phones were tapped?

I wonder how much truth there was to that. And, put your tin foil hat on, if after working briefly with Pioli, who got Easterby the gig in New England, that Easterby arranged the Houstonian for Watson so that he could record what was going on? What if Easterby has tapes of Watson? What if that’s why Watson was adamant of getting rid of Easterby and why Easterby has stuck around seemingly doing nothing?
Believe it or not, I could see this happening, especially after the Hernandez situation.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
??? I'm not aware of Kafka ever working under Turner. Maybe Turner was coaching on one of the dozen teams that Kafka spent time on the practice squad?
It's just a knee jerk response for any assistant coach. Coach X is this generations Norv Turner. Example: David Culley is this generations next Norv Turner.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
It's just a knee jerk response for any assistant coach. Coach X is this generations Norv Turner. Example: David Culley is this generations next Norv Turner.
Norv Turner was an outstanding offensive coordinator on 3 Super Bowl championship teams. Turner coached offenses finished in the top 10 nine times.

Culley is in his own special category.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I was talking about why Easterby may have OK'ed going to great lengths to find out Derrick's perversions.
Did he? I think we've discussed this before, but how would the Texans and Easterby ever known the extent of Watson's behavior without being in the room during the massages? The Texans knew zip.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Did he? I think we've discussed this before, but how would the Texans and Easterby ever known the extent of Watson's behavior without being in the room during the massages? The Texans knew zip.
Bugging the room?

I wouldn't put this past the Texans org and Easterby.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Norv Turner was an outstanding offensive coordinator on 3 Super Bowl championship teams. Turner coached offenses finished in the top 10 nine times.

Culley is in his own special category.
I was trying to make a point.

Wasn't Culley the WR coach on a SB winner?

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I believe it was Brian Daboll. Both were in KC in 2012, and Daboll left to join the Pats in 2013. Daboll recommended Easterby to Belichick, as the Pats were going thru the Aaron Hernandez thing.

Pioli also claims responsibility. It is probable that he was recommended by both. And yes it was for the Hernandez thing.

The point I was trying to make was he was at the Chiefs with Pioli, while briefly, where there was a bunch of concerns of spying by even regular employees.

In the article a familiar name pops up as trying to help fill the void of Easterby’s departure. None other than our favorite RB Rex Burkhead. Things that make you go “hmmmm…”

From the article:

“The team didn’t make a hire to replace Easterby. That’s why a group of veterans banded together to tackle the challenge for themselves. Led by Slater, players like the McCourty twins, Rex Burkhead, Duron Harmon, David Andrews, Ben Watson and Stephen Gostkowski have divvied up responsibilities to help replace the team’s character coach.”

Texansballer74

The Marine
What are you shaking your head about in that post?

What's not true? Except you may disagree about a franchise QB in this draft and you know what history says one of these guys will be a franchise QB. I wouldn't be willing to gamble on which one. Why? Because I don't like any of them and if I was to pick the wrong one it sets the franchise back another decade and we will be saying I can't believe after 3 decades we're still having this discussion.

For the 1st time since their inception I'm hoping Cal will be patient. Do I expect this to happen? Nope, why, marketing. Will the Texans win more games if they were to draft a QB next year? Yep, will they win championships? Nope IMHO These guys aren't garbage, but they aren't top 5-10 material. IMHO
You don’t know if either one of those quarterbacks in the 2023 draft are franchise quarterbacks or not. All because you don’t like them doesn’t mean that crap is true.

Last edited:

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
They knew that Watson needed a private room for his massages that he didn’t want done with professionals. They didn’t know what he was doing in the room.

What would prompt the Easterby to get him a private room? Especially when he has better at NRG?

To find out what he was up to.

I am just saying there could be enough questions to create a motive and there could be pass experience that creates a layer of expertise.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You don’t know if either one of those quarterbacks in the 2023 draft are franchise quarterback or not. All because you don’t like them doesn’t mean that crap is true.
Nobody knows including Caserio. He should only go by what he's seen from other QB's in the past and their skillsets, work ethic and history of QB's that have come from certain offenses in college vs what kind of offense you want your team to run. Do these QB's have outstanding traits or skills that stand out and make him think those skills can be developed into a top 5 QB. Do these QB's have the mental aptitude to learn and retain information while learning a new offense to become a top 5 QB?

These are things I would be looking at if I was drafting a QB. There has to be something that stands out in their skillset and mental makeup that would give this QB an above avg chance to become a top 5 QB. If you cant find these traits then you dont draft a QB that yr. I dont see a guy with the skillset to become a top 5 QB in this class. Top 10 maybe, but I'm not settling for that. Because that's what sentences your franchise to mediocrity for a decade. I see Matt Schaub level talent in this draft or injury risks from the QB's in this draft. I'm not talking about the talent, I'm talking about like Schaub a very good QB, maybe even a pro bowl level QB, but not a championship level (Manning/Elway/Brady/Mahomes etc...) level QB in this draft. In short no QB in this draft stands out.

If Caserio doesn't think that there's a potential top 5 QB in this class (Which I dont) he shouldn't draft a QB.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
They can afford to give up a pick. Especially for a darn good coach
What coach do you want them to give up a HC for?

Payton would never coach theTexans, norwould the McNair's be willingto pay for him, both in money and draft capital that it would take to bring him to Kirby.

Texansballer74

The Marine
You can still build the roster and trade the 2024 Browns round 1. I think the Saints would demand two round ones but I would be okay with the Texans at least negotiating off that.
Exactly, some members act like you have to have a thousand picks to build this team. Nick has hit on the majority of his picks so far. I believe he will continue to do so. Especially with amount of picks the Texans have in 23/24.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Exactly, some members acts like you have to have a thousand picks to build this team. Nick has hit on the majority of his picks so far. I believe he will continue to do so. Especially with amount of picks the Texans have in 23/24.
It's about the fit not only for the McNair's, but also for Payton. Oil/Water.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
They didn’t bug no darn room. Lol stop it
Just like you said in a previous post, you dont know this. What we do know is that Easterby came from orgs that used bugs and video taped things. We also know that Hopkins complained about PI's following him. So it's not out of the question that this could've happened. IMHO

Toro Bravo

Rookie
My number 1 HC preference is Sean Peyton. I would also consider Dan Quinn - current Cowboys DC and previous Falcons HC and Seahawks DC. I don't want someone who has never been a HC in the NFL and certainly not someone who has never even been a coordinator.
I believe the McNair's care more about the religious beliefs and character of a coach than they do coaching ability.

Last edited:

vtech9

All Pro
My short list is as follows (in no particular order):

Ken Dorsey
Joe Lombardi
Kellen Moore
Byron Leftwich
Kyle Shanahan

Also in consideration:
Frank Smith
Brian Callahan
Mike Kafka
Leslie Frazier
Dan Quinn
DeMeco Ryans

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
My short list is as follows (in no particular order):

Ken Dorsey
Joe Lombardi
Kellen Moore
Byron Leftwich
Kyle Shanahan

Also in consideration:
Frank Smith
Brian Callahan
Mike Kafka
Leslie Frazier
Dan Quinn
DeMeco Ryans
Payton/DeMeco/Shanny ain't coming to Kirby, so off of your list give me

Kalfka
Quinn
Lombardi
Dorsey

I'll also throw in Joe Brady, who I think got a raw deal in Carolina.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Just like you said in a previous post, you dont know this. What we do know is that Easterby came from orgs that used bugs and video taped things. We also know that Hopkins complained about PI's following him. So it's not out of the question that this could've happened. IMHO
You don’t know it and I’m not claiming that I do. But man stop spewing crap hoping it stick to the wall. No way in heck they’re bugging any of their players rooms.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Payton/DeMeco/Shanny ain't coming to Kirby, so off of your list give me

Kalfka
Quinn
Lombardi
Dorsey

I'll also throw in Joe Brady, who I think got a raw deal in Carolina.
What coach do you want them to give up a HC for?

Payton would never coach theTexans, norwould the McNair's be willingto pay for him, both in money and draft capital that it would take to bring him to Kirby.
You don’t know that. Did he specifically told you he wouldn’t?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Do you think Caserio is responsible for the current mess?

Mcnair family. But Caserio gets an F for the two head coaching searches so far… only issue with who gets blame is I don’t think he has as much say on the HC hiring as he does on personnel moves. I suspect its ownership driven including the rapid dismissal of Culley.

Payton has said there are several teams who would never consider working for due to mismanaged organizations. I suspect this team is one of them.

"The most important element is functional ownership [and] front office ... because there's a handful of teams that aren't, and those teams, regardless of what takes place, they can win on Sunday but they have trouble winning long term," he said. "The opportunity to win consistently and the willingness to build the correct culture and all those things."

Texansballer74

The Marine
Mcnair family. But Caserio gets an F for the two head coaching searches so far… only issue with who gets blame is I don’t think he has as much say on the HC hiring as he does on personnel moves. I suspect its ownership driven including the rapid dismissal of Culley.

Payton has said there are several teams who would never consider working for due to mismanaged organizations. I suspect this team is one of them.

"The most important element is functional ownership [and] front office ... because there's a handful of teams that aren't, and those teams, regardless of what takes place, they can win on Sunday but they have trouble winning long term," he said. "The opportunity to win consistently and the willingness to build the correct culture and all those things."
Caserio took a job in which the mess was way out of control. No way a legitimate head coach was going to take that job with that crap with Watson and the Texans.

And with all the stipulation and power Cal/Janice gives to certain personnel. No way a prominent head coach is taking this job. Unless they could come in and bring their on hand picked staff.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch

Does this make much sense to you? ^ :um:

Lovie was a pc move by ownership. It certainly wasn't because of his sterling record. I really doubt that it was because Caserio wanted him.

I suspect Caserio will bolt once his contract is up. I wouldn't blame him.
That, or force the McNairs to backup the Brinks truck and then butt out. Full control.

:coffee:

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
You don’t know it and I’m not claiming that I do. But man stop spewing crap hoping it stick to the wall. No way in heck they’re bugging any of their players rooms.
We are free to speculate here. If someone doesn’t like it they can ignore, keep scrolling or notify a mod to delete a post. Either way we should be free to express opinions that are in line with the rules of the board.

Reactions: JB

vtech9

All Pro
To be honest, I didn't really have a problem with any of the candidates that I believe Caserio wanted. I wasn't a huge fan of Flores, but I would have been ok with him. Other than Flores, I think Caserio's top candidates were Joe Lombardi, Kevin O'Connell, and Jonathan Gannon. I would have been ok with any of the last 3. I don't think Hines Ward or Josh McCown were ever serious candidates in Caserio's mind. I think they were Easterby's choices. I don't think Lovie was ever seriously considered as a HC option. I don't think ownership liked Flores law suit, so they removed him from consideration. When they were included in the lawsuit, I think Lovie became their fall-back plan.

Texansballer74

The Marine
We are free to speculate here. If someone doesn’t like it they can ignore, keep scrolling or notify a mod to delete a post. Either way we should be free to express opinions that are in line with the rules of the board.
When someone uses the word true, that’s not speculating nor is it an opinion.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
But I don’t understand your last comment.
Other than him using the word, the only time it is used in this thread is when SteelB used it for saying 'no true franchise qb in this draft'

Totally different subject matter in the same thread

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I wouldn't give Caserio a grade on hiring HC's. Do you think it was his decision to hire either Culley or Lovie? I dont.