Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Who Should Be Our First Pick?

Number19

Hall of Fame
Weird.

Here we are one week away from the draft and there is, almost, no discussion. Trades have really had an impact, but as of right now, barring another trade, we have the #40 selection. Lacking a 1 and 2 next year, it is incredibly important, going forward, that we get this right, with an impact player.

My opinion of our offense and defense is that we have starters in place on offense. Defense should be addressed with #40.

Looking at CB's, there are two in this deep class which might fall to 40; A.J. Terrell, Clemson (6'-1"/195 ; 4.42 forty); and Jeff Gladney, TCU (5'-10"/190; 4.48 forty).

Looking at DE's, there is only one which catches my eye and might be there at 40; Julian Okwara, Notre Dame (6'-4"/250 ; 4.65 forty).

Looking at DT's, only one catches my attention but he may not fall to 40; Raekwon Davis, Alabama (6'-6"/310 ; 5.12 forty).

Looking at OLB's, there is only one; Terrell Lewis, Alabama (6'-5"/260; did not run but I have him at about 4.70 in the forty)

Am I missing anyone deserving of the 40 pick? Does anyone think we should go offense?

Who is the one?

I'm going to dismiss CB because I have two I really like in the 4th round. This is a very deep class for CB's.

I'm going to dismiss Terrell Lewis because of his past injuries. What is the risk going forward? If not for this question mark, I'd have to really give consideration to him as my selection.

Okwara could potentually be the edge rusher we need. Davis could potentially be Watt's replacement if that day comes. Davis is a step slower than I would like but is stout against the run and matches up well against large NFL tackles.

Who is the one? I'm going with Raekwon Davis of Alabama DT.

(But I'd feel good about any of these five)

Last edited:

Childress79

Waterboy
I would like to trade back and pick up an extra pick or 2. If its me, I am looking at a WR. I just think the team is getting close to having to start cutting some players to make room for the eventual Watson and Tunsil extensions. Cook (if his deal is not restructured) and Cobb make a good deal of $$$, Stills and Fuller are both free agents and David Johnson is high dollar (again, unless he agrees to redo his deal or is cut). Given that this is a historic WR group coming out, I would look to take one (or two) if it were me. But, if you are only looking at the upcoming season, it makes no sense to go WR. To each his own, I guess.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
I'd like to trade back as well. I was thinking about Terrell Lewis until yesterday. I decided to looked him up, and that boy has had some serious injury problems. I'm afraid he would join Fuller, and Johnson, and all those little fragile fast guys that Bill has wisely acquired .... on the injury list. I would trade back, and still come away with Claypool in the 3rd. Tight end/ H-Back/big wide receivers - (Aiken), who run a 4.38 and vertical over 40 inches are rare .... and create big problems for defenses !

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I could live with a trade back if the return justifies the move. I'll base my pick on the idea that OB keeps the pick.

First, OB's moves this season has taken care of the window dressing.....skill positions. I see skill positions on both sides of the ball as being luxury picks for OB in 2020.

I like IOL and defensive front 7 as the best area o attack.

1. C/RG- Cesar Ruiz, Michigan: If he's available he's my first choice to help put this OL together moving forward. Doesn't hurt to know that this guy is a Day 1 starter as well since he's coming from a pro-style offense ran by Harbaugh.

2. RG/OT- Isiah Wilson, Georgia: Mountain of a man who would look absolutely awesome next to Howard. He could be a plug-n-play RG starting Day 1 with OT as his upside since that was his position in CFB.

3. DT- Jordan Elliott, Missouri: Another solid DT in this draft....even if in RD2, this guy has Day 1 starter written all over him. He's a high motor player who should have no problems matching Reader's play while actually bringing a better pass rush capabilities.

I've got them listed in the order I'd go depending on who's available when the 40 pick goes on the clock.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
3 priority scorers:
1. QB who iniates all scoring plays. Watson.
2. WR. We have four and 2.40 doesn't offer scoring WR better than ours.
3. RB not only puts points on board but can protect QB, move chains and keep defense off field which is huge. Does OB gamble on the DJs? Or if one of Dobbins, Taylor, Swift €or later Dillon€ at 2.40. IIRC, Texans have had more contact with RBs by far, than olinemen. If coach is actually looking at the future he will probably go with OL especially if Ruiz is there. I think he prefers to go with Fulton at Right Guard over a rookie. So we're back to RB.

Yeah we need D but we now are equal or better than 2019 so an RB with criteria above could be 40. OB covering butt, right? All depends who is there and coach thinking he can get edge (Highsmith?) Or backup OG later.

Number19

Hall of Fame
3 priority scorers:
1. QB who iniates all scoring plays. Watson.
2. WR. We have four and 2.40 doesn't offer scoring WR better than ours.
3. RB not only puts points on board but can protect QB, move chains and keep defense off field which is huge. Does OB gamble on the DJs? Or if one of Dobbins, Taylor, Swift €or later Dillon€ at 2.40. IIRC, Texans have had more contact with RBs by far, than olinemen. If coach is actually looking at the future he will probably go with OL especially if Ruiz is there. I think he prefers to go with Fulton at Right Guard over a rookie. So we're back to RB.

Yeah we need D but we now are equal or better than 2019 so an RB with criteria above could be 40. OB covering butt, right? All depends who is there and coach thinking he can get edge (Highsmith?) Or backup OG later.
You're making me rethink, plus I did some research this afternoon.

And you are possibly correct in our defense being at least as good as last year. And with OTA's being cancelled, you need a rookie who doesn't need much coaching to contribute.

You mentioned Highsmith with a late pick. I think a smallish, situational edge rusher may be the way to go with 40.

I'm taking a second look and reconsidering Julian Okwara, Notre Dame, 6'-4"/250 lbs. His forty is estimated by Draft Scout to be approx between 4.40 and 4.60.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Weird.

Here we are one week away from the draft and there is, almost, no discussion. Trades have really had an impact, but as of right now, barring another trade, we have the #40 selection. Lacking a 1 and 2 next year, it is incredibly important, going forward, that we get this right, with an impact player.

My opinion of our offense and defense is that we have starters in place on offense. Defense should be addressed with #40.

Looking at CB's, there are two in this deep class which might fall to 40; A.J. Terrell, Clemson (6'-1"/195 ; 4.42 forty); and Jeff Gladney, TCU (5'-10"/190; 4.48 forty).

Looking at DE's, there is only one which catches my eye and might be there at 40; Julian Okwara, Notre Dame (6'-4"/250 ; 4.65 forty).

Looking at DT's, only one catches my attention but he may not fall to 40; Raekwon Davis, Alabama (6'-6"/310 ; 5.12 forty).

Looking at OLB's, there is only one; Terrell Lewis, Alabama (6'-5"/260; did not run but I have him at about 4.70 in the forty)

Am I missing anyone deserving of the 40 pick? Does anyone think we should go offense?

Who is the one?

I'm going to dismiss CB because I have two I really like in the 4th round. This is a very deep class for CB's.

I'm going to dismiss Terrell Lewis because of his past injuries. What is the risk going forward? If not for this question mark, I'd have to really give consideration to him as my selection.

Okwara could potentually be the edge rusher we need. Davis could potentially be Watt's replacement if that day comes. Davis is a step slower than I would like but is stout against the run and matches up well against large NFL tackles.

Do we have pick #40 locked in yet?
I thought it was contingent upon Johnson clearing his medical?

badboy

Hall of Fame
You're making me rethink, plus I did some research this afternoon.

And you are possibly correct in our defense being at least as good as last year. And with OTA's being cancelled, you need a rookie who doesn't need much coaching to contribute.

You mentioned Highsmith with a late pick. I think a smallish, situational edge rusher may be the way to go with 40.

I'm taking a second look and reconsidering Julian Okwara, Notre Dame, 6'-4"/250 lbs. His forty is estimated by Draft Scout to be approx between 4.40 and 4.60.
Curious, why use 40 for edge when Alex Highsmith projected to 4th round?

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
I would like to trade back and pick up an extra pick or 2. If its me, I am looking at a WR. I just think the team is getting close to having to start cutting some players to make room for the eventual Watson and Tunsil extensions. Cook (if his deal is not restructured) and Cobb make a good deal of $$$, Stills and Fuller are both free agents and David Johnson is high dollar (again, unless he agrees to redo his deal or is cut). Given that this is a historic WR group coming out, I would look to take one (or two) if it were me. But, if you are only looking at the upcoming season, it makes no sense to go WR. To each his own, I guess.

Of all those players you just named, (you know .... all the guys we just traded for), who are NOT the walking wounded ?

banned1976

sleeper mode
Weird.

Who is the one?

For me, I believe it's going to be the most painfully slow draft I've ever watched, just from my perspective as a fan of the Texans.

The wait begins day one and into day two as the Texans wait for 39 picks to go before theirs. As a fan I'll have plenty of time between the Texans first and second picks of the 2020 draft to nitpick whoever is the guy at #40. Because there are 49 picks (#90 of the draft) before the Texans draft again. From there we only have to wait until pick #111.

Sadly, 2021 draft will be even harder for the Texans draft watch party as they have no 1st or 2nd round picks. I think that's likely to change, however. I fully expect Watson will be traded between now and next April; and that should net the Texans at least a second round pick. And I'm not trying to be funny. O'Brien is in the process of completely replacing the roster. It started with the defense last year.

Which brings me to the question of this thread. I'm not sure if the Texans will be drafting at #40 or not. I honestly don't care if he trades back in the draft or not. The Texans should draft either a CB or pass rusher first, but I'd consider DT. The defense was horrible last season. Unlike some others posting about the defense, they're not any better now. Joseph has retired and although he had lost a step, never once last year did I think someone on the bench could/should replace him. Unless I missed it the Texans are basically running that some crappy secondary back this year.

In no particular order and with the caveat the Texans stay at #40:
AJ Terrell
Jaylon Johnson
Noah Igbinoghene
Cameron Dantzler

One or more of those CB's will be available at 40. If not, hopefully a pass rusher or DT that I like fell to the second. I'm not even looking at WR's. I like some of the RB's but not at 40, not with the Texans winning the David Johnson lottery and all. Sarcasm, yes. I think the Texans have a hole at RB and I would have liked to have gotten a younger, healthier and cheaper option at both the WR and RB positions but that ship has sailed. Now the Texans should draft defense early and often. But that brings me to another reason it's hard for me to get excited about this draft...

I have no clue what O'Brien will do. I'm still stunned they went into last season with 4 TE's, having spent yet another 3rd round draft pick on a TE. Would it surprise me if he picks a WR at #40? Hell no. He could pick another TE and it wouldn't shock me at all. O'Brien is probably the biggest wild card going into this draft.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Them's some BIG OL' BOYS !!
Plug-N-Play types that make the OL better and Fulton expendable. Fulton was the most obvious in regards to poor play. Martin might've been bad but I'm willing to see how he does with a better RG. Scharping should take a nice step this season after a solid rookie year. Ruiz could go either way, C or RG. Wilson is a massive OT/RG who could easily transition to RG. Plugging him in next Howard could make defenses think twice about coming over the right side. Maybe Martin gets better as the talent sound him gets better. Watson and the running game are the biggest benefactors.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Baun had a diluted pee test. If he's there at 40 do you pick him?

Otherwise give me Elliott at 40. Unless Gladney falls.

Then hopefully one of Taylor or Zuninga is there at 90.

If you want a starter at slot cb early then Robertson should be the pick at 90.

Last edited:

Number19

Hall of Fame
Curious, why use 40 for edge when Alex Highsmith projected to 4th round?
One reason, the CB's are incredibly deep this draft and I have several graded in this area, notably Troy Pride of Notre Dame.

But also, I'm looking to improve physically and speed. I have Highsmith with a 4.70 forty. I have Okwara estimated between 4.4 and 4.6. Also the level of competition.

I'm wanting an impact defensive player at 40. What I'm finding is that this comes down to two positions with selections worthy of a 40 pick, CB's and Edge. I think a situational edge rusher will have more impact so I'm liking either Okwara or Terrell Lewis of Alabama; and between the two I like Okwara.

I still like Highsmith as a 3rd day pick.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Baun had a diluted pee test. If he's there at 40 do you pick him?

Otherwise give me Elliott at 40. Unless Gladney falls.

Then hopefully one of Taylor or Zuninga is there at 90.

If you want a starter at slot cb early then Robertson should be the pick at 90.
Gladney is a tad undersized for OB's metrics.
Elliot could be there.
Baun perhaps. I was going to include him on my poll but it wouldn't let me add more.
AJ Terrell should be there.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Gladney is a tad undersized for OB's metrics.
Elliot could be there.
Baun perhaps. I was going to include him on my poll but it wouldn't let me add more.
AJ Terrell should be there.
Pretty much how I have it, But I dont think Terrell or Gladney will be there. I like Gladney more than Terrell because although he's short he has great hops. He also needs to add some strength but that's what a NFL S&C coaches job is and I've read Gladney is a real hard worker/competitive guy. Give me a guy with Gladney's profile any day. That's why he will probably go between 20-40 in the draft.

I also like Terrell alot I know he got burned by the LSU WR's. Alot of guy did last yr. But otherwise he was pretty much a shutdown corner last yr. He's got the speed/length you're looking for in a CB and Clemson CB's have a pretty good track record in the pro's. Terrell has the ability and alot of growth potential in the NFL. IMHO

Any of these 4 guys would be great additions to the Texans defense.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Pretty much how I have it, But I dont think Terrell or Gladney will be there. I like Gladney more than Terrell because although he's short he has great hops. He also needs to add some strength but that's what a NFL S&C coaches job is and I've read Gladney is a real hard worker/competitive guy. Give me a guy with Gladney's profile any day. That's why he will probably go between 20-40 in the draft.

I also like Terrell alot I know he got burned by the LSU WR's. Alot of guy did last yr. But otherwise he was pretty much a shutdown corner last yr. He's got the speed/length you're looking for in a CB and Clemson CB's have a pretty good track record in the pro's. Terrell has the ability and alot of growth potential in the NFL. IMHO

Any of these 4 guys would be great additions to the Texans defense.
Terrell, you say, was burned by LSU receivers as were a lot of guys.

You also look at tape. I'm curious. I have Javelin Guidry targeted as a late round pick. Maybe 171. He's only 5'-9", but he's stout at 190 pounds; and quick with his 40 at the combine a blazing 4.29.

He is quick twitch, has good instincts, fine leaping ability, graded out well against pac 12 opponents, and has the ability to ride a receivers hip.

What does the tape show? We need at least on CB with this speed.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Terrell, you say, was burned by LSU receivers as were a lot of guys.

You also look at tape. I'm curious. I have Javelin Guidry targeted as a late round pick. Maybe 171. He's only 5'-9", but he's stout at 190 pounds; and quick with his 40 at the combine a blazing 4.29.

He is quick twitch, has good instincts, fine leaping ability, graded out well against pac 12 opponents, and has the ability to ride a receivers hip.

What does the tape show? We need at least on CB with this speed.
Very unrefind but could develop into a starting slot CB. Would be great on ST's while developing. He's the kind of late rd flier that I would take a chance on. World class speed is a rare thing.

Childress79

Waterboy
I like Guidry too. I see him as a special teams ace for a season or two before settling in at nickel just like steel suggests.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Davis meets a lot of Billy Oh's criteria:

1. Mature, I mean old for a draft pick. 23 before camp starts.
2. Coming off an injury plagued season.
3. Hasn't played well since 2017.

I think this guy is the pick.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Last edited: