Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Who is our #42 pick

There's an outside chance Nubin could fall to 2-59. Man I would be happy after rd 2 if Caserio/Ryans came out of it with P. Wilson and Nubin. Play makers. Another guy I like a lot is Melton.
have you looked at tankathons mock recently?

There's an outside chance Nubin could fall to 2-59. Man I would be happy after rd 2 if Caserio/Ryans came out of it with P. Wilson and Nubin. Play makers. Another guy I like a lot is Melton.
LZ has Nubin going #25 in his latest mock. I've seen a few others with him going round 1

I wonder what Nick could get for 42? For example would Chicago give up 75 and their round four plus a round two in 2025 for Sweat or Fisk or Alabama's Braswell? 🤔

I wonder what Nick could get for 42? For example would Chicago give up 75 and their round four plus a round two in 2025 for Sweat or Fisk or Alabama's Braswell? 🤔
Nick knows Texans likely finish in the bottom 2 or 3 in next years draft so having extra picks to move up the board might reap dividends.

Nick knows Texans likely finish in the bottom 2 or 3 in next years draft so having extra picks to move up the board might reap dividends.

If you could trade the two 6ths and three 7ths would you do this to move up from 4-123 and 4-123 to say 4-102 and 4-105?

2-42 Fiske (Sweat is gone)
2-59 Melton
3-86 J. Wright
4-102 Jordan Magee
4-105 Reiman

Sign Simmons or Q. Diggs in FA

I see Ja’tavion Sanders dropping in mock drafts. Currently 60 overall on nflmockdraftdatabase.

Nearly identical prospect as Sam Laporta height/weight/speed/production. He’d be too good to pass up at 2.59.

You could find ways to get him on the field as a rookie exploiting mismatches and have Schultz’ replacement on the roster. Another high end weapon for Stroud and this one would be on a rookie contract.

I see Ja’tavion Sanders dropping in mock drafts. Currently 60 overall on nflmockdraftdatabase.

Nearly identical prospect as Sam Laporta height/weight/speed/production. He’d be too good to pass up at 2.59.

You could find ways to get him on the field as a rookie exploiting mismatches and have Schultz’ replacement on the roster. Another high end weapon for Stroud and this one would be on a rookie contract.
I think he’s dropping because he’s not much of a blocker. While I like his production, I think I’d wait till the 3rd round for him.

If you could trade the two 6ths and three 7ths would you do this to move up from 4-123 and 4-123 to say 4-102 and 4-105?

2-42 Fiske (Sweat is gone)
2-59 Melton
3-86 J. Wright
4-102 Jordan Magee
4-105 Reiman

Sign Simmons or Q. Diggs in FA
I'm thinking those 7ths may be tacked singly with trade ups - unless you can find a team with very few picks who wants more picks

You need core ST guys and depth players with these lower picks. Some will go into the UDFA market, but your competing with other teams. You can also use them as bargaining chips for picks next year, or if someone drops you really like…this year. So no I wouldn’t give all those picks up to move up to a spot…and especially so without know I g who is going to be there.

You need core ST guys and depth players with these lower picks. Some will go into the UDFA market, but your competing with other teams. You can also use them as bargaining chips for picks next year, or if someone drops you really like…this year. So no I wouldn’t give all those picks up to move up to a spot…and especially so without know I g who is going to be there.
Depends on if there is a player I liked and trading or not trading a 6t-7th was the difference in getting a deal done. They've got their core ST's guys.

Texans need to ensure they have plenty of push in the middle of their Dline to allow our edge rushers to feast.
This is a hole on our team at the moment.
Enter T'Vondre Sweat.
Probably not going to be there at 2-42. He would be my pick if he's there. If he's there and Ryans/Caserio dont pick him, I cant wait to see this MB's reaction. I'm sure it will be pure gold entertainment.

This would be a dream scenario. I see no chance of the draft breaking this way, but damn it would be nice.

I would jump through a wall shouting “OH YEAH!” if the Texans added Kool-Aid. Him and Stingley would be the best young CB tandem in the league (maybe best period paired with this pass rush).

I think it’s a possibility if Texans value him highly enough to trade up for him. Pairing 42 and 86 gets you to pick 29 according to the drafttek trade value chart. If he’s still available day 2 I could definitely see the Texans putting together a package to get him IF they covet him.

We know if there’s a player they covet, Nick will do what it takes to get him.

Very interested to see what the organization has planned for draft day. They have put themselves in a position to go a variety of ways depending how the board falls and still smelling like roses.

I would jump through a wall shouting “OH YEAH!” if the Texans added Kool-Aid. Him and Stingley would be the best young CB tandem in the league (maybe best period paired with this pass rush).

I think it’s a possibility if Texans value him highly enough to trade up for him. Pairing 42 and 86 gets you to pick 29 according to the drafttek trade value chart. If he’s still available day 2 I could definitely see the Texans putting together a package to get him IF they covet him.

We know if there’s a player they covet, Nick will do what it takes to get him.

Very interested to see what the organization has planned for draft day. They have put themselves in a position to go a variety of ways depending how the board falls and still smelling like roses.
Only thing wrong with the tweet is that there is no way in hell Kool falls to 42.

It changes where I think we could get him is all. If we miss, we miss. His loss.
We see things differently, I look at players and where I can get them or what I have to trade to get them doesn't matter much to me. I would drop Sweat from 2=42 to 2-59 because of the DWI. But what I think doesn't really matter. Sweat isn't a good fit in Ryans defense so the Texans probably dodged a bullet.

We see things differently, I look at players and where I can get them or what I have to trade to get them doesn't matter much to me. I would drop Sweat from 2=42 to 2-59 because of the DWI. But what I think doesn't really matter. Sweat isn't a good fit in Ryans defense so the Texans probably dodged a bullet.
I think a big ass mammoth in the middle of the defense that can help stop a team from running down your throat is a good fit for any team. I agree that not all situations would merit that need but I wouldn’t have minded a run stopper against Baltimore. He might not be the sharpest tool in the shed but he is a tool (lol) never the less, and a sledgehammer comes in handy from time to time. I agree on the 2-59 or later. Maybe we get a humbled harvester. Again, I’m not as high on him as I was.

I think a big ass mammoth in the middle of the defense that can help stop a team from running down your throat is a good fit for any team. I agree that not all situations would merit that need but I wouldn’t have minded a run stopper against Baltimore. He might not be the sharpest tool in the shed but he is a tool (lol) never the less, and a sledgehammer comes in handy from time to time. I agree on the 2-59 or later. Maybe we get a humbled harvester. Again, I’m not as high on him as I was.
I think Fatusi and Settle can handle this job.

This is why I think Ryans drafts Fiske or Hall Jr with one of the 2nds

I think Fatusi and Settle can handle this job.

This is why I think Ryans drafts Fiske or Hall Jr with one of the 2nds

I’m surprised there’s no connection to Kris Jenkins. I think he’d fit in great with this defense. Also fits the intangibles profile. Lots of experience playing at a big time program and a team captain. Doesn’t hurt his dad was an all pro DT.

I’m surprised there’s no connection to Kris Jenkins. I think he’d fit in great with this defense. Also fits the intangibles profile. Lots of experience playing at a big time program and a team captain. Doesn’t hurt his dad was an all pro DT.

I wouldn't mind adding DT- Maason Smith along with DT- Kris Jenkins to the DL. I believe these are the type of athletes Ryans would covet for his defense.

I wouldn't mind adding DT- Maason Smith along with DT- Kris Jenkins to the DL. I believe these are the type of athletes Ryans would covet for his defense.
Smith seems to be rising up in the mock drafts. He's 6'5" 300 lbs with good athleticism. Played in only 22 games due to 2022 ACL injury. Very raw, but someone will take Maason on day 2.

Smith seems to be rising up in the mock drafts. He's 6'5" 300 lbs with good athleticism. Played in only 22 games due to 2022 ACL injury. Very raw, but someone will take Maason on day 2.
Smith is the kind of guy that either makes GM look like a genius, or gets them fired.

Sure, they will handle the job, but come 2025 you'll likely be saying DL1T is a priority upgrade.
True but you can't fix everything in one yr.

If you're sitting there at 4-123 and Christian Jones and Christian Boyd are on the board and you haven't drafted a DT, which one are you picking?

I’m not a huge :koolaid: Fan, that’s just reflection of that PFF piece and fact he’s been slipping out of 1st rd.

hopefully it's not the texans.

Sure, they will handle the job, but come 2025 you'll likely be saying DL1T is a priority upgrade.
And then we get one in 2025 or hope that a late round pick like Boyd will be the future starter. We seem to be trying to fill all of our needs in this one offseason yet last season most were saying we could not do that.

And then we get one in 2025 or hope that a late round pick like Boyd will be the future starter. We seem to be trying to fill all of our needs in this one offseason yet last season most were saying we could not do that.
What "We" seem to be overlooking is the fact that most picks, (depending on position) past round 3 are likely not going to be starters and the further down the draft you go, that probability increases.
It's not like going to the grocery store and picking items of the shelf - it seriously is a crap shoot.
Even the best teams don't have perfect rosters, but they do have good QBs and coaches with a generous sprinkling of good players at key positions.
Enter Houston.

What "We" seem to be overlooking is the fact that most picks, (depending on position) past round 3 are likely not going to be starters and the further down the draft you go, that probability increases.
It's not like going to the grocery store and picking items of the shelf - it seriously is a crap shoot.
Even the best teams don't have perfect rosters, but they do have good QBs and coaches with a generous sprinkling of good players at key positions.
Enter Houston.
Teams try to come out of the draft with 3 starters of which one or two are difference makers.

Then add contributors in the rest of the draft. Things like blocking TE, backup RB, ST's guys. Sometimes they get lucky and find a starter or star level player like Nacua later in the draft.

This can be done in this draft. IMHO.

Teams try to come out of the draft with 3 starters of which one or two are difference makers.

Then add contributors in the rest of the draft. Things like blocking TE, backup RB, ST's guys. Sometimes they get lucky and find a starter or star level player like Nacua later in the draft.

This can be done in this draft. IMHO.
I love the way Caserio has crafted these last few off-seasons too.
Started off with meager resources and now has the power to create a strong team - through both best options, the draft and FA.
From now on, it will be the cherry on top of the cream.

I love the way Caserio has crafted these last few off-seasons too.
Started off with meager resources and now has the power to create a strong team - through both best options, the draft and FA.
From now on, it will be the cherry on top of the cream.
I 100% agree with you. He’s managed the team well despite the criticism from the fans the first few years.

Enter Houston.
Then our 3 top picks are likely to be starters. One round 4 could start during season at DT and other round at RT . IIRC, 6th round Patterson did well in 2023.

Then our 3 top picks are likely to be starters. One round 4 could start during season at DT and other round at RT . IIRC, 6th round Patterson did well in 2023.

“Starter” is a loose term in DeMeco’s scheme for DL. They rotate so much, we are not going to see
a JJ Watt 93%+ snap share (with TE cameos).

Brian Baldinger did an interview where he said Nick Bosa complained to him about ranking Maxx Crosby higher for DPOY at midseason. He told Baldinger, “I’m playing for a Super Bowl.” meaning he’s not playing the 96% snaps per game that Crosby was getting in order to be fully healthy for a Super Bowl run.

Bosa won DPOY in 2022 playing 74% of the defensive snaps. That’s the high end in the DL rotation.

I 100% agree with you. He’s managed the team well despite the criticism from the fans the first few years.
I didn't understand the criticism at the time and still don't. I guess some don't like his style of talking but that comes directly from the school of Belichek.

You've still got some posters that don't like the way he built this team and refuse to admit they're wrong. Wonder where old Tex is these days?

Caserio will miss on some picks.

I don't expect starters to come out of rd 4. Usually top 100 picks are starters. However you can get quality depth pieces that you need to in in rds 4-7. Rb, blocking TE, really good ST's guys etc.

Caserio will miss on some picks.

I don't expect starters to come out of rd 4. Usually top 100 picks are starters. However you can get quality depth pieces that you need to in in rds 4-7. Rb, blocking TE, really good ST's guys etc.
Yep but no one thought Patterson would start but he did.

There's always a possibility you can find a starter in the lower rounds but the point is the odds of doing so increase.
Good teams find players in the later rounds. Usually at the non-premium positions like RB, LB, Safety, TE, and interior offensive line. The Niners are an example of that, and even found a starter at QB with the last pick in the draft.

Good teams find players in the later rounds. Usually at the non-premium positions like RB, LB, Safety, TE, and interior offensive line. The Niners are an example of that, and even found a starter at QB with the last pick in the draft.
Exactly. I would add DL.
The skill positions like QB, CB, TE (dual role), T, WR, Ed are best taken in the higher rounds.

Back