Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Who is our #42 pick

ghostlight

Veteran
So much for our speculation on #23 so now who is your choice for #42? I’m still thinking with a hope for a very good player to slide. I going to start by penciling in Sweat from Texas.

Based off of the prospects they've met with, these are the guys who could possibly be in that range:

WR Troy Franklin
S Tyler Nubin​
DE Darius Robinson​
CB Kamari Lassiter​
EDGE Bralen Trice​
WR Ladd McConkey​
WR Xavier Worthy​
LB Edgerrin Cooper​
LB Payton Wilson​

Braden Fiske could also be a consideration if they value him highly enough. I'd guess the pick will be whoever of these guys drops and they value the most.

off that list Id be happy with Darius Robinson (based off talent not positional need), Worthy, and Franklin
Thats a bit early for Fiske I believe but I would add Sweat to that list...I think he'll still be there and would be a force anchoring the interior dline.

My top choices are as follows:

Ladd McConkey WR
Braden Fiske DL
Ricky Pearsall WR
Roman Wilson WR
Mike Sainristil CB
Kool-Aid McKinstry CB

This is in no particular order, but I’d be happy with any of these guys. I don’t know if McKinstry falls that far. It all depends on his injury.

And YES I’d take Sainristil that early. I think he’s that good of a player and a perfect team fit as our nCB.

off that list Id be happy with Darius Robinson (based off talent not positional need), Worthy, and Franklin
Thats a bit early for Fiske I believe but I would add Sweat to that list...I think he'll still be there and would be a force anchoring the interior dline.
Most boards I've seen have Fiske rated around 65, but I know the Texans are more interested in getting their guys than worrying about draft position. If they decide they want him, I can see them picking him at 42 instead of hoping he's there at 59. I imagine there will be a ton of talent available at 42, including guys who slide further than anyone making draft boards expected. Happens every draft.

Most boards I've seen have Fiske rated around 65, but I know the Texans are more interested in getting their guys than worrying about draft position. If they decide they want him, I can see them picking him at 42 instead of hoping he's there at 59. I imagine there will be a ton of talent available at 42, including guys who slide further than anyone making draft boards expected. Happens every draft.
Id be ok with that...it fills a position of need and he looks like he could be a pretty dominant player in the middle. Guess it will depend on who falls to that pick and still on the board.

Last edited:
this scenario could lead to trading down from 42 to get that guy and picking up some other pics.

Darius Robinson would fit in perfect with this DL rotation. Hopefully he falls to 42. He could be the 3rd DE in the rotation and also have flexibility to slide inside on passing downs.

Imagine a pass rushing DL of Hunter-Autry-Robinson-Anderson? Happy hunting!

Looked on 4 internet top 100 boards to see if there's a consensus of who the players at certain positions that might be available at #42.

Big Boards - NFL.com (LZ), The Athletic (Dane Brugler), ESPN (Scouts, Inc.) PFF (Staff)

WR - Tony Franklin (3), Ricky Pearsall (4), Roman Wilson (3), Xavier Worthy (4)
OT - Patrick Paul (4), Kiran Amegadjie (4), Blake Fisher (4), Kingsley Saumaala (3)
DT - Ruke Orhorhoro (4), Kris Jenkins (4), Braden Fiske (2), T Sweat (2), Brandon Dorlus (4)
CB - Kamari Lassiter (4), Ennis Rakestraw (3), DJ James (4), TJ Tampa (4)
LB - Payton Wilson (2), Junior Colson (2), Edgerrin Cooper (3)
S - Tyler Nubin (2), Jaden Hicks (4), Javon Bullard (4), Kamren Kinchens (4)

(#) - Indicates number of big boards player is still available at 2.42

Last edited:
Looked on 4 internet top 100 boards to see if there's a consensus of who the players at certain positions that might be available at #42.

Big Boards - NFL.com (LZ), The Athletic (Dane Brugler), ESPN (Scouts, Inc.) PFF (Staff)

OT - Patrick Paul (4), Kiran Amegadjie (4), Blake Fisher (4), Kingsley Saumaala (3)
DT - Ruke Orhorhoro (4), Kris Jenkins (4), Braden Fiske (2), T Sweat (2), Brandon Dorlus (4)

(#) - Indicates number of big board player is still available at 2.42
Given that list Id be Ok with:
WR's Franklin, Worthy, Wilson
OT- Patrick Paul
DT- Fiske, Sweat
Lb- Wilson
S- Nubin

(#) - Indicates number of big board player is still available at 2.42
How many of those are likely to be there at #59?
I'm out on Franklin but my preferences are
Nubin
Sweat
Wilson
Cooper

My top choices are as follows:

Ladd McConkey WR
Braden Fiske DL
Ricky Pearsall WR
Roman Wilson WR
Mike Sainristil CB
Kool-Aid McKinstry CB

This is in no particular order, but I’d be happy with any of these guys. I don’t know if McKinstry falls that far. It all depends on his injury.

And YES I’d take Sainristil that early. I think he’s that good of a player and a perfect team fit as our nCB.
Add Sweat to the top of this list and this would be my list.

I think Dorlus is a little underrated at the moment. I think my only concern is if he’d be able to add some weight, but I love his RAS score.

If I am correct, I think a guy named JJ Watt was named to the Pro Bowl as a defensive tackle at approximately 290. So weight is not everything. I think Dorlus has a good anchor and trunk foundation and the strength to play there regularly. He is not a nose tackle but we do not need that. I am not a huge fan of Sweat; either on me or the player. Yeah

If I am correct, I think a guy named JJ Watt was named to the Pro Bowl as a defensive tackle at approximately 290. So weight is not everything. I think Dorlus has a good anchor and trunk foundation and the strength to play there regularly. He is not a nose tackle but we do not need that. I am not a huge fan of Sweat; either on me or the player. Yeah
JJ was a de

They have put themselves into a pickle at DT, so I say Fiske or Sweat. Fiske fits as a penetrating, quick DT that I think DeMeco favors so I will pick him.
This might be the chess move Caserio ends up regretting. There's still a lot of pieces to add on defense and at the same time you want to be able to surround CJ with as many weapons as possible. They need Tank to come back as strong as ever, Metchie to start to live up to his potential, and Nico to continue his upward trend. On the other side they have Stingley, King, Okudah, and a few roster fillers at CB. Very thin and Stingley is always going to be high injury potential.

Like Lucky wrote in another thread, the Texans are I believe 28th in draft capital. They need to have another successful draft if they are to take that next step and it starts with #42. I think the best bang for the buck would be either Sweat or Fiske, I completely agree with you there.

Looking at individual team needs, there are about a half dozen teams that need a starter at DT. The Cardinals need a DL3T and a DL5T. That said, there is some decent depth at DT in this years draft so if the Texans elect to draft a WR or a CB at 42 I would be okay with it.

This might be the chess move Caserio ends up regretting. There's still a lot of pieces to add on defense and at the same time you want to be able to surround CJ with as many weapons as possible. They need Tank to come back as strong as ever, Metchie to start to live up to his potential, and Nico to continue his upward trend. On the other side they have Stingley, King, Okudah, and a few roster fillers at CB. Very thin and Stingley is always going to be high injury potential.

Like Lucky wrote in another thread, the Texans are I believe 28th in draft capital. They need to have another successful draft if they are to take that next step and it starts with #42. I think the best bang for the buck would be either Sweat or Fiske, I completely agree with you there.

Looking at individual team needs, there are about a half dozen teams that need a starter at DT. The Cardinals need a DL3T and a DL5T. That said, there is some decent depth at DT in this years draft so if the Texans elect to draft a WR or a CB at 42 I would be okay with it.
Give me in order at 2-42.

McConkey
Sweat
Fiske

With Anderson and Hunter crashing from the edge, defenders can ride them around the QB, who steps up into the pocket.

We don't have a DT who can collapse the middle pocket. This should be our priority at 2/42.

D'Vondre Sweat is the answer. He has to be doubleteamed, which means Anderson or Hunter, one or the other, will be one on one. His strength allows him to effectively engage doubleteams and collapse the pocket. He doesn't have to get sacks, just keep the QB from having a pocket to step up into.
Against the run, he'll shut down his side.

His conditioning may be a problem and maybe he should be playing at 340 - 350 pounds, rather than 365, but be'll be a wall in the middle. Anderson and Hunter will love it.

If I knew Dorlus would be there at 3-86 he would be my pick, depending on who was there.
I think it's possible. After the top guys in the 1st, early 2nd are off the board, it's going to be who is a fit for that team. Looking for a edge to win a foot race, it's Booker or Braswell. A guy that can hold the edge and give a power rush, Trice or Isaac. Dorlus has a lot of flexibility in that he is a fit at 3, 4, 5 tech. These guys could go late 2nd into the 3rd.

I think it's possible. After the top guys in the 1st, early 2nd are off the board, it's going to be who is a fit for that team. Looking for a edge to win a foot race, it's Booker or Braswell. A guy that can hold the edge and give a power rush, Trice or Isaac. Dorlus has a lot of flexibility in that he is a fit at 3, 4, 5 tech. These guys could go late 2nd into the 3rd.
I wouldn't overlook Braden Fiske - is pretty fast for a 6'4" 292 lb DL, ran a 4:78 at the combine and made Feldman's freak list.
Has a decent pass rush as well as a relentless motor.
Downside is he's 24 and needs a little refinement but he would likely find that here.

I wouldn't overlook Braden Fiske - is very fast for a 6'4" 292 lb DL, ran a 4:78 at the combine and made Feldman's freak list.
Has a decent pass rush as well as a relentless motor.
Downside is he's 24 and needs a little refinement but he would likely find that here.
I'm not. I think Fiske is the current favorite to go 2.42, and could go as high as late 1st round.

He reminds me of Omenihu.

Can play Edge or drop down inside in passing situations. I like him a lot because Fautanu said Dorlus gave him the most trouble of any Edge he faced last year. That's good enough for me to spend 2-59 or 3-86 on.

The Texans did sign Autry, who is expected to rush inside on passing situations. They could use a 4th pass rusher, certainly. But the guys the Texans have should wreck havoc. I would also say that Anderson is a guy that can move around and create mismatches, similar to prime JJ Watt.
I know this is what's being said about Audrey. But he plays at about 285. I can't find anything suggesting he's played inside at the 0, 1 or 3 technique. When "they" say drop down and rush inside, I believe they mean the 5 technique. Over the years Autry has played a few snaps at 5. He's mostly played at the 9, 7 or 6 positions.

What the Texans don't have is the player who can collapse the middle, 0, 1, 2 or 3. If we don't have this, qbs will be able to step up into this middle pocket for that extra second they need to find their open receiver.

At this point I think Fiske or Sweat make the most sense. This WR class is rich and hoping that Leggette will fall to our 2nd pick at 59.

That would solve our need for dominant interior DT, and Leggette is compared to Dez Bryant...I wouldnt mind a receiver corps of Nico, Tank, and Dez Bryant type with Schultz at TE and Mixon out of the backfield...that would be a nightmare for every defense in the league.

Dorlus weighs in about 280 lbs. I don't think he'd be effective in the middle. This year most of these guys are around 300. There are only a couple of "big" guys in this draft.

The Texans did sign Autry, who is expected to rush inside on passing situations. They could use a 4th pass rusher, certainly. But the guys the Texans have should wreck havoc. I would also say that Anderson is a guy that can move around and create mismatches, similar to prime JJ Watt.
JJ was 6'6 300lbs vs what Anderson is. Hunter is the guy on the dl. I highly doubt they would move either around

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Payton Wilson 42, Dorlus at 59 then a trade up if necessary from 86 to get a cornerback like Sainristil or Kris Abrams-Draine.
I'm trading up for Pearsall and hoping Stiggers or another CB I'm going to probably bring up that hasn't been mentioned yet that I really like.

At this point I think Fiske or Sweat make the most sense. This WR class is rich and hoping that Leggette will fall to our 2nd pick at 59.

That would solve our need for dominant interior DT, and Leggette is compared to Dez Bryant...I wouldnt mind a receiver corps of Nico, Tank, and Dez Bryant type with Schultz at TE and Mixon out of the backfield...that would be a nightmare for every defense in the league.

I like Fiske, but I feel like he'll need some time to adjust to the size and strength of the NFL IOL. The Texans have guys on the DL that can create havoc on the pocket, but do not have a security pop up bollard in the middle of the DL.....that's where T'Vondre Sweat comes in as a Day 1 starter. I believe the NFL strength and conditioning program, diet, and NFL schedule should get him into that 350-360 pound playing weight in year one.

I know this is what's being said about Audrey. But he plays at about 285. I can't find anything suggesting he's played inside at the 0, 1 or 3 technique. When "they" say drop down and rush inside, I believe they mean the 5 technique. Over the years Autry has played a few snaps at 5. He's mostly played at the 9, 7 or 6 positions.

What the Texans don't have is the player who can collapse the middle, 0, 1, 2 or 3. If we don't have this, qbs will be able to step up into this middle pocket for that extra second they need to find their open receiver.
What weight you think Collins played at? In obvious passing situations, you want Autry and his inside pass rush. He's played a 5 tech before, he can play the 3 tech if needed also. Ryans don't really play a 0 at any point.

Reactions: JB
What weight you think Collins played at? In obvious passing situations, you want Autry and his inside pass rush. He's played a 5 tech before, he can play the 3 tech if needed also. Ryans don't really play a 0 at any point.

I have Collins weight at 310. Playing Autry at the 3, I just don't think would be effective. If the Texans try it, we'll see.

Dorlus weighs in about 280 lbs. I don't think he'd be effective in the middle. This year most of these guys are around 300. There are only a couple of "big" guys in this draft.
I do not see Ryan's insisting upon the typical 335 + nose tackle. I think combine weight at combine 283 can be increased 25-35 pounds easily without impacting skill set. We see that frequently with d line and offensive linemen who go from 255 to 335. My focus is 5 sacks 9 passed defended! Ryans can work with that to accomplish what he needs.

Dorlus 283..
Sheldon Rankins 287.

I do not see Ryan's insisting upon the typical 335 + nose tackle. I think combine weight at combine 283 can be increased 25-35 pounds easily without impacting skill set. We see that frequently with d line and offensive linemen who go from 255 to 335. My focus is 5 sacks 9 passed defended! Ryans can work with that to accomplish what he needs.

Dorlus 283..
Sheldon Rankins 287.
I agree that Ryans does not use a traditional NT, but looking at a screen shot, it appeared Ryans had a player lined up in the 1 and on the same side a player at 5. On the other side, there appeared to be a player at 3 and then out wide at 7.

I agree with you for a player sliding into the 3 position. But I'm addressing the player lining up at 1 who needs to dominate to the extent that he ties up the Center and the Guard, but still has the strength to collapse the middle.

My question is, does Ryans have a player in that 1 position?

More broadly, where does Ryans line up his front 4?

who was that guy in 2023? Father Casey [Fatukasi ]is 318 lb.
I just don't see anything indicating that we are going to use a tavandre sweat type player.

Back