Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Whitney Mercilus - First Round Pick

How do you feel about our First rounder?

• I like it

Votes: 190 78.2%
  • I dislike it

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • I don't have an opinion yet

Votes: 44 18.1%

• Total voters
He ran a 1.56 10yd, that's explosive. If you check the link on JPP I just posted you'll see they have similar numbers and I think most would say JPP is an explosive athlete

I am just going with what I saw on the field- quick, not so much explosive. This late in the first, a guy wont be a perfect prospect. At 26 I am satisfied with what we got.

I'm good with it. There's a decent cross section of his 2011 season on youtube and he's all over the place. Usually lined up face up square with the OTs, he's quick off the snap and strong in the trenches. I think they'll move him farther out, to really utilize his natural ability in space rather than confine him in-line. The guy really hustles, that's for damn sure. Wade may have just got him another stud.

i think its a good pick, he is very quick and powerful. We lost Mario and i see a lot of the same physical features in this young man, so i am please overall.

Was wanting a WR until Wright went off the board. i guess J.J it is :kubepalm:

Don't worry man. These guys are still available and I feel for a lot better deal.

Marvin Jones WR Cal
Brian Quick WR Appalachian St.
Mohamed Sanu WR Rutgers
Stephen Hill WR Georgia Tech
Alshon Jefferey WR South Carolina
Nick Toon WR Wisconsin
Ryan Broyles WR Oklahoma

and if for some reason he is still there today....Coby Fleener TE Stanford

I'm good with it. There's a decent cross section of his 2011 season on youtube and he's all over the place. Usually lined up face up square with the OTs, he's quick off the snap and strong in the trenches. I think they'll move him farther out, to really utilize his natural ability in space rather than confine him in-line. The guy really hustles, that's for damn sure. Wade may have just got him another stud.

Yeah , I posted these earlier and they got burried at the bottom of the page , reposting them here.

Whitney Mercilus Vs Wisconsin

Whitney Mercilus vs Ohio State

Whitney Mercilus vs UCLA

Whitney Mercilus Illinois vs Penn State

Don't worry man. These guys are still available and I feel for a lot better deal.

Marvin Jones WR Cal
Mohamed Sanu WR Rutgers
Nick Toon WR Wisconsin
Ryan Broyles WR Oklahoma

For sure, there is going to be someone dropping to us in the 2nd as well. Ol' Smithy boy just stood pat while the trades flew around him and let a guy fall right to him.

I slept on it... and now I would change my pick to 'I love it!'.

I worry about him being a one year guy, but I trust Wade. Also, there is no question the kid is talented (live in Big 10 country, saw him play a couple times) and a hard worker.

My only other concern is a lack of explosion, as I mentioned earlier. 32 inch vertical confirms that. He is quick, not so much explosive. I dont think he will be a high sack number guy (meaning 15+, I think 8-12 is a better projection), but he will be in the QBs face a lot.

Glad to see you came around. I wont go gaga over the guy either, but we got a football player who gives 110% every play. Taking plays off pisses off most every fan, so getting a guy who wont do that is pretty badass.

Also, it could have been alot worse. 9ners taking Jenkins #30 overall??

This guy was my "best case scenario" for round one, so to say that I am ecstatic with the pick is an understatement. He is going to absolutely RAKE in Wade's scheme.

He didnt look good Vs the run as a DE , didnt seem to get off of blocks well but as a pass rusher , its a different story. He can get after the QB.

His biggest attribute that I saw was his effort. Not a bad thing.

I don't think the guy sucks, I just don't think he was the best player left on the board there.

I would have rather had the guy that went off the board right after him. But whatever, he's a Texan now kick some ass.

I would consider him an ok to good pass rusher. Maybe wade's scheme can make him really good or great.

Marvin Jones WR Cal
Mohamed Sanu WR Rutgers
Nick Toon WR Wisconsin
Ryan Broyles WR Oklahoma

Isn't the LSU receiver Rueben Randle also still on the Board ?

I don't think the guy sucks, I just don't think he was the best player left on the board there.

I would have rather had the guy that went off the board right after him. But whatever, he's a Texan now kick some ass.

I would consider him an ok to good pass rusher. Maybe wade's scheme can make him really good or great.

I'm glad that there are some non-Koolaid drinkers here, but I'm having trouble understanding this statement when he had the most sacks in NCAA.

This guy was my "best case scenario" for round one, so to say that I am ecstatic with the pick is an understatement. He is going to absolutely RAKE in Wade's scheme.

I agree. I didn't think he would make it to 26 as the draft got closer. The guy is going to be an absolute beast of a pass rusher. I was thinking the Texans would end up with Shea McClelin, Nick Perry or Chandler Jones because Mercilus would be long gone. This is a fantastic pick. Extremely happy!

I picked Zietler in the Texans Draft Challenge thing .... Would have loved to get him.

Pass rushers are at a premium .... and consider the who's who list of QB's this team will face this season , I cant complain.

I noticed Merciles played DT on some occasions .... Might be interesting to plug him in between Watt and Smith on passing downs with Barwin , Reed and Cushing ....

Isn't the LSU receiver Rueben Randle also still on the Board ?

List of WR's still available -

Hill
Alshon Jeffery
Brian Quick
Mohamed Sanu
Nick Toon
Dwight Jones
Tommy Streeter
Marvin McNutt
Jeff Fuller
Greg Childs
Ryan Broyles.

Out of that group - someone will be there when the Texans are up with #4 of the 4th.
I'd almost be content to go with two of the three - OL , DE , CB in the second and third thinking that one of those big WR's is going to fall.
Sure , I prefer some over others but if you can get value at those other spots , you almost have to do it.

I'm glad that there are some non-Koolaid drinkers here, but I'm having trouble understanding this statement when he had the most sacks in NCAA.

There are a lot of guys that put up prolific stats in college that don't pan out in the NFL.

I'm answering your question specifically...Right now I'm not suggesting that Mercilus won't pan out (whatever your definition of "pan out" is) because I don't know that.

This was my best case scenario for the way the draft played out. The guy looks like he gives good effort on all plays and really got after the QB last season. He's the same size as Reed, but a tick faster in his 40 and just a tick slower in his 10 yd split (Reed's split was ridiculously good last year). Plus, the dude's biggest weakness was being on the line and being run directly at, which shouldn't be a problem, since I expect them to start off using him as a situational pass rusher in their rotation.

I'm happy. Now we just need to move up to secure a receiver like Hill, Randle, or Jeffrey.

He hasn't played football very long since he wasn't from America. He was a soccer player I think.

He hasn't played football very long since he wasn't from America. He was a soccer player I think.

Oh, you went there.
olajuwon-dream-shake.jpg

Mercilus' startling 2011 season sent scouts scrambling to learn more about him, and the news was better than expected. After two mediocre seasons at Illinois, Mercilus used cat-like moves to become an All-American and win the Ted Hendricks Award as the best defensive end in the country. He led the nation with 16 sacks, nine forced fumbles and had 22.5 tackles for a loss. Of all his statistics, forced fumbles is the one that many scouts admire most. "I just have a knack for it," he said. "Throughout the game I was able to watch the quarterback's movements and just see him open up and then I just go in there and just knock it away." Scouts gush a listof positives traits, including quickness, agility, strength, instincts, condition, attitude ... and he is just beginning to mature and could be a great outside linebacker. Reaching for comparisons, they mention names like Simeon Rice, Dwight Freeney, Richard Dent, and even the great Reggie White. The U.S.-born son of parents who emigrated from Haiti in the 1980s, Mercilus played mostly soccer until high school. His 2011 season had an auspicious beginning when he lost the tip of his left index finger last spring in a weight-room accident. Teammates were shocked when he light-heartedly dismissed the injury as only a bother when he played the keyboard or tried to pick up coins

Pass rush: Very active and plays with top effort on every snap. Moves all around the defensive line, lining up off the edge and inside at defensive tackle. Has the natural speed to win the edge and closes in a flash. Attacks gaps and is a pesky rusher, finding ways to squirm into the backfield. Hard player to block cleanly. Plays with a fighting mentality and has the violent hand usage to battle through the trash and make the play. Hustle player with a nonstop motor. Tends to play high and doesn't worry much about technique or fundamentals. Still developing his snap anticipation and will jump offside at times. Run defense: Lacks an obvious power element to his game andstruggles to shed blocks on run plays. Doesn't consistently set the edge and will over run his responsibilities. Still developing his recognition skills and instincts. Struggles to consistently locate the ball and will get caught out of position at times. Explosion: Fires off the snap with a first step burst that really stands out. A bit tight in the hips and straight-linish in his movements. Lacks great change-of-direction ability to explode laterally or smoothly redirect his momentum. Strength: Has adequate build with very good length and overall measureables. Plays tough with the hand strength to rip the ball out and force fumbles. Lacks an ideal frame for the position and doesn't have the prototypical muscle definition. Lacks great bulk and doesn't have a lot of room to get much bigger. Tackling: Physical in the trenches and doesn't try to avoid contact. Has long arms to wrap and wrestle ballcarriers to the ground. Takes pride in his ability to finish and complete tackles. Intangibles: Has only one year of starting production under his belt, causing questions about being a "one year wonder" and was a relative unknown entering the 2011 season. Had above average production in 2011, leading the nation in sacks (16.0) and forced fumbles (9) and finishing second in tackles for loss (22.5) -- consistent production week-in and week-out as a junior in 2011. Decided to leave early to help his family financially (both his parents are immigrants from Haiti). --Dane Brugler

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1689559

I talked about Anthony Spencer earlier on another topic...But their measureables are actually similar.

Hill
Alshon Jeffery
Brian Quick
Mohamed Sanu
Nick Toon
Dwight Jones
Tommy Streeter
Marvin McNutt
Jeff Fuller
Greg Childs
Ryan Broyles.

Out of that group - someone will be there when the Texans are up with #4 of the 4th.
I'd almost be content to go with two of the three - OL , DE , CB in the second and third thinking that one of those big WR's is going to fall.
Sure , I prefer some over others but if you can get value at those other spots , you almost have to do it.

These are the wr's I like in order of preference:

Ruben Randle
Stephen Hill
Brian Quick
Greg Childs
Alshon Jeffery
Mohamed Sanu
Tommy Streeter
Marvin McNutt
T Y Hilton

At some point in this draft the Texans will have to address the DT position. Depth is a big problem there. I like Mike Martin and Derek Wolfe but there are alot of DT's in this draft that could come in and provide much needed help. Ta'Amu, Crick, Worthy,Still, Thompson

These are the wr's I like in order of preference:

Ruben Randle
Stephen Hill
Brian Quick
Greg Childs
Alshon Jeffery
Mohamed Sanu
Tommy Streeter
Marvin McNutt
T Y Hilton

At some point in this draft the Texans will have to address the DT position. Depth is a big problem there. I like Mike Martin and Derek Wolfe but there are alot of DT's in this draft that could come in and provide much needed help. Ta'Amu, Crick, Worthy,Still, Thompson
Wade said after the draft (last night) that we are still one roster sport short on DT so I'd think that they will address that for sure.

I think the team will take a wr in the 3rd and/or 4th rounds since much of the talent is similar (as far as a finished product goes).

I'd personally like to see us try to trade up for Stephen Hill or Randle since we have an extra 4th to play with. I'd be thrilled with our draft already.

I'd personally like to see us try to trade up for Stephen Hill or Randle since we have an extra 4th to play with. I'd be thrilled with our draft already.

I like Hill, and am "iffy" on Randle (but hey, what do i know?), but for whatever position they want i think they can move up...

We can make fun of Jacoby all we want (and we probably should), but there is a team out there that probably wouldn't mind having him as a no.4 wr, maybe punt returner as well... Give 'em that extra 4th rd pick along with JJ and who knows, maybe they'll take...

or was Al Davis our only hope?....damn!

(Edit: sorry if you read the incomplete post...accidently pressed submit on my Tapatalk)

Wade said after the draft (last night) that we are still one roster sport short on DT so I'd think that they will address that for sure.

I think the team will take a wr in the 3rd and/or 4th rounds since much of the talent is similar (as far as a finished product goes).

Agreed Vinny. Who do you like at DT?

We can make fun of Jacoby all we want (and we probably should), but there is a team out there that probably wouldn't mind having him as a no.4 wr, maybe punt returner as well... Give '
not for what he makes. He's not a credible wr for anyone really....if he can't be a credible wr here, I donno where he could make it.

not for what he makes. He's not a credible wr for anyone really....if he can't be a credible wr here, I donno where he could make it.

No doubt you're right...but GMs and coaches don't always make the right calls...we have to hope for one of those GMs/coaches... There are a couple out there we could ask for a dance...

Garrett Wolfe would be perfect.

Q: What influence have your parents had on you?
A: “My parents are Haitian immigrants. I can’t give you a dateline of when they came here or anything like that, but they worked for everything. They broke their backs throughout the years just to put food on the table for me, my brother and my sister. They just instilled those values in us and just to work hard, never give up at anything in life and just keep pushing forward and go for great things. It definitely happened.”
Q: What factors weighed in your decision to enter the draft early?
A: “This has been a passion all my life to definitely play at the next level. But also it was a way to help my family financially, because I didn’t come from a background where I had money just laying out there that I could use. It was a way just to help them out and provide them with a life that they deserve because they’ve worked so hard for all their life. Now it’s my turn to take care of them.”
http://blog.seahawks.com/2012/04/21/a-few-moments-with-whitney-mercilus/
No feelings of entitlement with this young man, I like his attitude.

I talked about Anthony Spencer earlier on another topic...But their measureables are actually similar.

He has similar measurables (actually a bit better) than Pierre-Paul, who also was kind of a 1yr wonder. I'd be ecstatic if he turns out to be that kind of player

Agreed Vinny. Who do you like at DT?

someone like Brandon Thompson...he can play all across the line from NT to 5 technique but I'd draft him as a NT and a run stopper inside for short yardage and goal line.

Billy Winn seems to be a Wade kind of guy though....high motor, good slashing skills, but with enough size to be stout vs the run.

I think we are better in passing downs than we are in short yardage....so I'd like to see more of a space eater in the middle of the field.

Not a chance. Barwin and Brown will be re-signed, Matt is gone.
not disagreeing, but don't you have to make sure we have his replacement? As I posted somwhere in this madhouse, let's say Schaub is healthy, would he not get all if not most of the snaps? How sure can you be Yates is the future from basically watching him inpractice?

No doubt you're right...but GMs and coaches don't always make the right calls...we have to hope for one of those GMs/coaches... There are a couple out there we could ask for a dance...

nobody is going to trade for Jones...put the smoke down.

I don't know a ton about him but I expected OLB to be filled with the 1st pick b/c I finally realized that they apparently don't take replacing Jacoby that seriously just yet and I trust Wade. Also, the last name is nice! :jam:

wade said we were 1 short on the d-line not DT. we've cody and earl (who i cant remember playing any DE last yr) at NT/DT so i understood it to mean as they're looking for another DE along with JJ, antonio and tim jamison.

if we come away with randle/hill/jeffrey etc, and and OT/OG/DE at the end of today il be happy

I don't know a ton about him but I expected OLB to be filled with the 1st pick b/c I finally realized that they apparently don't take replacing Jacoby that seriously just yet and I trust Wade. Also, the last name is nice! :jam:
edge rushers are harder to find...just think of all those years we ran out chumps like Peek and Charlie Anderson.

wade said we were 1 short on the d-line not DT. we've cody and earl (who i cant remember playing any DE last yr) at NT/DT so i understood it to mean as they're looking for another DE along with JJ, antonio and tim jamison.
not to nit pick, but in a 3-4 you basically play three DT's. Last night Wade said he was still short one D lineman and that they are looking to address the position.

edge rushers are harder to find...just think of all those years we ran out chumps like Peek and Charlie Anderson.

Oh yeah, I like the pick to be sure! Also, I lol'ed at Peek and Anderson haha...wow....when you hear some of the names that used to be starters on this team, you realize how far we have come.

Corey Bradford anyone lol.....:kubepalm:

nobody is going to trade for Jones...put the smoke down.

Lol...maybe you need to re-read my original post on this topic, with the Al Davis reference... Maybe you need to pick up some smoke...

But i will stand by my opinion that there may be a coach/gm out there that might be silly enough, only remembering the Tampa Bay game and first Baltimore game...

if we come away with randle/hill/jeffrey etc, and and OT/OG/DE at the end of today il be happy

I think thats more accurate - short one DL. They are really thin behind Watt and Smith at DE.

Cody and Mitchell are one or two down guy's - not in on passing situations when they go to a four man line with Smith and Watt moving inside while Barwin and Reed are the ends. Depth there is not nearly as important as at DE.

Behind Watt and Smith they have Tim Bulman and Tim Jamison. Bulman's pretty much a ST guy while Jamison showed flashes last season , they need another capable body there.

Woke up with a headache and severe congestion from last night's draft.

Still incredibly happy with this pick.

First Illinois player the Texans have drafted.

I remember how excited I was when the Texans drafted their first player from my favorite college team, Georgia Tech.

Let's hope this one turns out better. haha

I picked Zietler in the Texans Draft Challenge thing .... Would have loved to get him.

Pass rushers are at a premium .... and consider the who's who list of QB's this team will face this season , I cant complain.

I noticed Merciles played DT on some occasions .... Might be interesting to plug him in between Watt and Smith on passing downs with Barwin , Reed and Cushing ....

Hill
Alshon Jeffery
Brian Quick
Mohamed Sanu
Nick Toon
Dwight Jones
Tommy Streeter
Marvin McNutt
Jeff Fuller
Greg Childs
Ryan Broyles.

i agree. We will see how factual the "draft BPA" philosophy is. McNutt, Childs or Broyles in 4th (or even 2of these 3 at 4a & 4b) would be sweet and in group listed above, most are relatively the same. A CB or DE today would not stun me.

After watching the highlights against UCLA, Wisconsin, and Ohio State, I'm in love with the pick. He's quick and explosive with very good edge speed. However, he never lined up in a 9 technique. He had 16 sacks without being put in a position by the coach to excel. Still, he executed and developed techniques (like the bull rushes) that will serve him well and make him a much more complete player.

I like him, but I never thought for a moment he would get past 22. Great pick at 26, I'm confident Wade will get what he wants out of him. He reminds me a lot of Aldon Smith actually, the OLB that the Texans were supposedly targeting in round 1 last year. A young guy with a high motor, great speed off the line, and also a one-year wonder in college. We all know how that turned out for the 49ers, let's hope Mercilus is the same.

Here are my thoughts on our pick. I LOVE IT. You can got to my thread El Tejano's 2012 Draft Wish List and see for yourself that I had him as my 7th player on my list. Alot of those players were placed on if they would be available to us or not and as you will see, the first 5 were gone before we could pick them leaving Mercilus and Upshaw only and I was wanting Mercilus more than Upshaw because of losing Mario and remembering how our defense played when Mario was in and now I feel we made up for that.

In terms of getting a guy who is not going to play every down, I disagree. My understanding is that Mercilus can play both end and OLB. If that is the case, this means he may be utilized differently in certain packages and will be on the field more than we think while keeping other good players fresh for the 4th.

If you look at our team in general, our problem isn't that we don't have starters. Our current situation is that we lossed our depth. Anyone we were going to pick was going to have a starter already there in their position. Sure we could've got a WR but all the 1st round guys were gone and it's such a crapshoot with WR and some have to take about 4 years to develop. OL, hey I think we did good by not reaching and many NFL OL coaches believe that Mitchell Schwartz is the best one out there and he's still available. Besides, it says alot about who we have now that we didn't go round 1 on OL. DT well we got some good ones now. Long story short everyone we are going to draft is going to be a backup with a shot to take over.

Does anyone else see this as insurance if A. Smith leaves next year?

I like him, but I never thought for a moment he would get past 22. Great pick at 26, I'm confident Wade will get what he wants out of him. He reminds me a lot of Aldon Smith actually, the OLB that the Texans were supposedly targeting in round 1 last year. A young guy with a high motor, great speed off the line, and also a one-year wonder in college. We all know how that turned out for the 49ers, let's hope Mercilus is the same.

Good example with Smith...another "one year wonder"... We forget about the three/four years of solid play guys drafted high who bust every year...

Back