Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What's wrong with the running game & how do we fix it?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Because of how much Jackson is running and adds to the running game, I would consider the Ravens an anomaly.

Look at the teams playing in the championship games. Reid has always run a pass happy offense. However look at the percentage for the other teams. Look at the Saints and Patriots. Hell, look at the best offense besides the Ravens.

I stand by my opinion.
BOB needs to use DW4 like Harbaugh uses LJ, if he wants to maximize DW4's talents. Injury be damned.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I can see your point regarding the teams using shotgun with mobile QBs to use a variety of RPO, read options and designed runs.

However, looking at the Texans offense do you see a variety of RPO, read options and design runs when they are in shotgun?
Yes,

See: the Buffalo game as an example.

Hope to see that become a staple of the offense.

Also Howard being healthy will greatly improve the running game.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
My point was that if you are going to run the concept - You have to take advantage of its perks.

When the DE crashes down on the RB , you have a numbers advantage outside , that means you have a disadvantage inside - Yet Watson more often than not wouldn't pull it back and the RB runs into that numbers disadvantage …. and we wonder why that play often leads to 2nd and long ….

This same principal goes into pulling guards from one side to the opposite in a power or zone schemes - its about creating a numbers advantage. When you pull that guard , you aren't going to run into the side he pulled from. For all intents and purposes , that's exactly what they are doing when Watson doesn't pull it back when the DE crashes down on the RB.
Are you saying DW4 needs to play more like LJ. If he cant change his style of play, then he needs to pull the ball and run like a RB like he did in the Buffalo game. This lessens the need for accuracy/anticipation when throwing the ball.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Are you saying DW4 needs to play more like LJ. If he cant change his style of play, then he needs to pull the ball and run like a RB like he did in the Buffalo game. This lessens the need for accuracy/anticipation when throwing the ball.

Not necessarily.

LJ is gonna make his reads and get north south … Watson is a much better passer , what I'd ask him to do is make those first couple reads and then get out of the pocket , east west while keeping his eyes downfield , now he's a threat to run if there is a lane and he is a threat to throw - that really puts the DB's in a bind and takes the pressure off the OL - particularly since he wants to hang onto the ball so long. I'm asking him to help his OL out ….

In the above post I was more talking about the offensive scheme being a disaster - they are running that read option but without the option.
If the DE crashes down on the RB , he's essentially running into a bad numbers matchup inside. Watson should be keeping the ball on those plays as he has the numbers advantage outside with that DE / OLB having committed to the RB inside. If the DE maintains his outside leverage , he hands it to the back for the inside run.

We've often asked why OB keeps running it up the middle so much , particularly on 1st down - much of the time they are running out of that RPO formation and if they'd take advantage of the numbers , they would be much more successful.

The bottom line is that they run the play , expecting it to be successful but don't take advantage of the actual concept behind the play design.

I wish I could find the video of Dabo explaining the RPO philosophy … he makes it simple to understand and explains its all about numbers and essentially its a read on a single defender on the option for the QB to hand it off or pull it back.

Someone posted it here before and I haven't been able to find it on the web or here.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Not necessarily.

LJ is gonna make his reads and get north south … Watson is a much better passer , what I'd ask him to do is make those first couple reads and then get out of the pocket , east west while keeping his eyes downfield , now he's a threat to run if there is a lane and he is a threat to throw - that really puts the DB's in a bind and takes the pressure off the OL - particularly since he wants to hang onto the ball so long. I'm asking him to help his OL out ….

In the above post I was more talking about the offensive scheme being a disaster - they are running that read option but without the option.
If the DE crashes down on the RB , he's essentially running into a bad numbers matchup inside. Watson should be keeping the ball on those plays as he has the numbers advantage outside with that DE / OLB having committed to the RB inside. If the DE maintains his outside leverage , he hands it to the back for the inside run.

We've often asked why OB keeps running it up the middle so much , particularly on 1st down - much of the time they are running out of that RPO formation and if they'd take advantage of the numbers , they would be much more successful.

The bottom line is that they run the play , expecting it to be successful but don't take advantage of the actual concept behind the play design.

I wish I could find the video of Dabo explaining the RPO philosophy … he makes it simple to understand and explains its all about numbers and essentially its a read on a single defender on the option for the QB to hand it off or pull it back.

Someone posted it here before and I haven't been able to find it on the web or here.
This is exactly what I want them to do.

It looks like Hyde is running it up the middle 75 % of the time because DW4 isn't pulling it and running it. This is on DW4. I'm sure BOB isn't telling DW4 to not run with the ball. See: Buffalo.

Running a RPO offense without the threat of the QB keeper is the main thing that makes this offense look like crap. In the Panthers/Bills games the DW4 should be pulling the ball and taking off if the DE crashes. It's a way to beat the rush 4 wide and drop 7 defenses they were playing. 1 missed tackle and you're off to the races. You can also run QB power off of this.

If BOB wants to be successful he needs to tell DW4 run the true RPO and that will open things up. All of the WCO/EP things we discuss are window dressing for what DW4 really does best. Another thing is, the true RPO offense will help DW4 by cutting down on his reads and should limit 1. Mistakes/turnovers 2. DW4 holding onto the ball too long, taking unnecessary sacks and take alot of pressure off of the OL.

Injury be damned, it's yr 4 and since we know DW4 cant win from the pocket it's time to make things simpler for him. It's time for DW4 to take the offense as his own and run the true version of the RPO. I wouldn't have DW4 throwing from the pocket more than 10 times per game at the most.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
This is exactly what I want them to do.

It looks like Hyde is running it up the middle 75 % of the time because DW4 isn't pulling it and running it. This is on DW4. I'm sure BOB isn't telling DW4 to not run with the ball. See: Buffalo.

Running a RPO offense without the threat of the QB keeper is the main thing that makes this offense look like crap. In the Panthers/Bills games the DW4 should be pulling the ball and taking off if the DE crashes. It's a way to beat the rush 4 wide and drop 7 defenses they were playing. 1 missed tackle and you're off to the races. You can also run QB power off of this.

If BOB wants to be successful he needs to tell DW4 run the true RPO and that will open things up. All of the WCO/EP things we discuss are window dressing for what DW4 really does best. Another thing is, the true RPO offense will help DW4 by cutting down on his reads and should limit 1. Mistakes/turnovers 2. DW4 holding onto the ball too long, taking unnecessary sacks and take alot of pressure off of the OL.

Injury be damned, it's yr 4 and since we know DW4 cant win from the pocket it's time to make things simpler for him. It's time for DW4 to take the offense as his own and run the true version of the RPO. I wouldn't have DW4 throwing from the pocket more than 10 times per game at the most.
10 times? lol...He's a much better passer than you give him credit for Steelb.

I

Texansballer74

The Marine
Steel you’re all over the place. Make up your mind bro. You were on here talking about if he ran it, he would get injured. Now you’re saying he’s the reason why we ran both Hyde and Duke up the middle 75% of the time.

Good grief man anything and everything we can come up with to talk down the players we don’t like.

If he would’ve pulled it and either got hurt or didn’t pick up any yards consistently. You would’ve blamed him for that.

As far as the RPO stuff you know darn well that’s not O’Brien’s offense. He’s just sprinkling in a small portion of it and that’s all. The run up the middle has been a staple of this offense since Bill’s arrival.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Steel you’re all over the place. Make up your mind bro. You were on here talking about if he ran it, he would get injured. Now you’re saying he’s the reason why we ran both Hyde and Duke up the middle 75% of the time.

Good grief man anything and everything we can come up with to talk down the players we don’t like.

If he would’ve pulled it and either got hurt or didn’t pick up any yards consistently. You would’ve blamed him for that.

As far as the RPO stuff you know darn well that’s not O’Brien’s offense. He’s just sprinkling in a small portion of it and that’s all. The run up the middle has been a staple of this offense since Bill’s arrival.
I've spent many hours talking with Corrosion and I think running the true RPO is the only offense DW4 can be successful in.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It means I wouldn't blame anybody if DW4 gets hurt.

I really dont care if he gets hurt or not. I just want an offense he can succeed in and the RPO is DW4's best chance to have success.
Earl,

You dont want an offense that gives DW4 his best chance to succeed?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Bumping this thread from January/February 2020. Meaning we've been through the 2020 off-season, the 2020 season, the 2021 off-season, the 2021 season, the 2022 off-season, & we're on the back end of the 2022 season.

& here we are.

We've got a good RB, I think we all agree there. We've changed the OL many times, Tunsil & Howard are the only ones here from January 2020

Why can't this team get this fixed.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Bumping this thread from January/February 2020. Meaning we've been through the 2020 off-season, the 2020 season, the 2021 off-season, the 2021 season, the 2022 off-season, & we're on the back end of the 2022 season.

& here we are.

We've got a good RB, I think we all agree there. We've changed the OL many times, Tunsil & Howard are the only ones here from January 2020

There is no simple answer. You have to have the RB, the OL, the QB, the WR's and the OC. Texans can't get them all together

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

& here we are.

Because they need to focus on fixing one side of the ball one yr with whatever the strength of the draft is. Last yrs draft was strong in DB's and the DL. This yrs strength of the draft is DL (particularly Edge), TE's/CB's/ C and somewhat WR's. If I was Caserio and I drafted Young my Rd.1-4 picks would be spent on WR/TE/C/OG and another RB. WR to go with Young is a must. But I really want that 6'7 270 Lbs monster of a TE also I would trade back into the 1st for him. Then draft a C and a OG in the 3rd-4th and then maybe the Midget QB will have a chance to succeed, unlike any Texan QB other than Schaub.

This can be done at the cost of the Texans 2-33 and 3-70.