Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Whats with all the anti-DD posts?

Grid

All Pro
Why is everyone suddenly thinking DD is gonna be a bust?

Look at the facts folks. DD played pretty good in the first two games.. minus the fumbles. Yah he had a bad showing in KC.. but he also twisted his ankle early and left the game.. never had a chance to get in his groove. Ya know Carr had a really bad 1st quarter too.. I dont see yall talking about Carr being replaced by Banks or Ragone :P why? cause he had the chance to turn it around later in the game.

If DD comes back and plays like he did in the first two games.. without fumbling.. everyone is gonna be on the DD bandwagon again.

Give the guy a break.. he aint a bust yet.. not by far.

Exactly....1000 yards in ten games.
Everyone needs to lay off. The guy is hurt and he's injury prone. But lets not turn into Titan fans here in comparison to Eddie George.

I, for one, will not be on the anti-DD bandwagon. This man can run and catch. He did have a couple of "butterfinger" games, but I believe those will be the exception (like last year) rather than the rule.

Not everyone one has been bashing him...it has been mostly me...

And I have never been on the Davis' bandwagon, not once last year did I say that he was a franchise type back...

Thanks Vinny for the link. You know, I was wondering the same thing on the way to lunch today. If DD didn't have the year we expected, but did show the same ability to move the ball..Would it be wise to get a more premiere back and use DD as that 3rd down back?

That is what the rest of the season will bear out for us. When we look back we will have the better part of two seasons of games to give us an accurate sample of games so we may render a full, mature opinion of Dom's long term value. Some value him higher than others right now and I think that the only thing we can do as fans is enjoy the games and wait to see what answer he gives us.

Davis lost us the Chargers game IMO. we should be 2-1 right now. a thing like that is hard to forgive. Until he shows me he can produce like he has abeen AND hold on to the rock hes not geting any sympathy from me.

I dont ever recall calling DD a bust. But I do recall him having 4 fumbles in 2 games. That is major. I never said, he needs to be traded, or benched the whole game, or put on the practice squad. I just think he needs to get his head straight. He should split carries with the other 2 backs until he can get back in 2003 mode...

Fiddy said:
Not everyone one has been bashing him...it has been mostly me...

And I have never been on the Davis' bandwagon, not once last year did I say that he was a franchise type back...

Fiddy,

Don't take this the wrong way, but man, it seems like everytime I see a post by you, you have something negative to say about something. Your a tough guy to please.

Just my observation, not meaning to criticize you :rofl:

Grid said:
Look at the facts folks.
Thing is people are looking at the fact that he has fumbled the ball 4 times in 2 games, is not considered a game breaking back and over-reliance upon him means fewer opporunities for true gamebreakers like Johnson and Bradford (maybe even Armstrong) to touch the ball. (Though I think ball distribution is mostly Carr's fault.)

Texans Pride said:
Fiddy,

Don't take this the wrong way, but man, it seems like everytime I see a post by you, you have something negative to say about something. Your a tough guy to please.

Just my observation, not meaning to criticize you :rofl:
Yeah I am a hard guy to please but I like playing Devils Advocate and I usually think the opposite from what everyone else is thinking and the majority of people take the "happy ending" side. For example, when the season was about to begin a lot of people thought we could go 10-6 and I said 7-9. And in my last statement there was a little sarcasm in it and was just trying to get it straight because not everybody has been dogging Davis, it has mostly been me and a few others....

I will never flip flop what we have to work with is what I accepted when I became a Texans fan and the weapons we have will soon work like a well oiled machine and when it does i will remember the names of those who jumped off,and so will THESE GUYS. :neener:

How are ya'll going 2 say that DD will flop and be the same people on Tony Hollings bandwagon, when he hasn't shown me anything, when he was fumbling last year ya'll were still saying that he will be the future back

99FirehawkTA said:
Davis lost us the Chargers game IMO. we should be 2-1 right now. a thing like that is hard to forgive. Until he shows me he can produce like he has abeen AND hold on to the rock hes not geting any sympathy from me.

Yeah, 157 total yards and 2 TDs. He really lost that game for us. Without his offensive output, the Texans would never have been in postion to tie with 4 minutes left in the game.

Not sure why I thought of this old Texas proverb just now, but it seems appropriate after reading several threads on this board: The young bull and the old bull were standing on a hill looking down at the pasture full of cows. The young bull said "let's run down there and get us some cows." The old bull said "let's walk and get them all."

Davis is not a bust he will get back to his 2003 form soon enough have a little patience all the "Anti-Davis" people. He is still a very good RB and i wouldnt give up on him just yet. HaHa just give the man a chance :thumbup

I'm not a DD hater, but on the other hand, with his rather pedestrian speed (4.7s in the 40), he will never run away from people. IF he had the true speed to go along with his vision, moves, and never say quit attitude, he would be the perfect RB. But, alas, the speed factor will eventually demote him to the role he is really best suited for, and that is as a 3rd down, kick returner, type. Maybe if we were further along in our development.........., who knows, but IMO we still haven't found the answer at RB to get to that next level that we are all thirsting for.

I don't know why Capers tends to be so conservative with the offense early in the season, but for the 3rd time in our young existence, he is starting us out that way. Hope he allows Palmer to open it up more Sunday against 'Da Raiders.

I'm not DD bashing or anything but just out of curiosity does anyone here know how many times he put the rock on the ground at LSU in 2002? I was looking through his player profile (Do a Google for "Domanick +Davis +Fumble" and it's one of the first few pages you're offered) and he was putting the ball on the ground regularly that last year in college. I think the page mentions something like 8 fumbles that year and a streak of 5 straight games with a turnover and that was from a part time starter if I'm not mistaken.

I'm just worried that the turnover thing is what he is and that last year was the exception, not this year. In that case it would be a shame because I think he's got the tools (possibly not the durability) to be a solid every down back. If he chucks it up 8 times or more this season then I'm thinking we have to get the Hollings plan on track or go fishing for another back next year. Fumbles just flat out kill you.

good article Vinny. nice!

yall are right,maybe it will be a blessing if Davis isn't in there (just like the article stated) .. I remember the Titans when they finally started utilizing McNair and it really helped that franchise.

4 Fumbles in basically two games... I think that's what the Anti-Davis stuff is about.

Plus, football fans wait 8 months, anxiously, for the season to begin. When it does, the excitement and optimism cause fans to read too much into the early season games. So, when bad things happen, fans make huge deals out of them- especially in September.

You are right-on about Fisher and the Titans! Like Carr, the Oilers drafted
McNair because of his nickname, aka 'Air McNair.' But for years Fisher
used George's running as the Titans primary offense-- only changing
after George's avg yds per carry dipped below 3yds--and look what
"Air McNair" did! Now, the Titans are back in the "feature back" offense
and are losing, not scoring points.

That is the same thinking of the Texans. There is not enough space here
to print all the excuses that have been given about why Carr is not the
offensive focal point. Suffice it to say, however, that we may never have
a 'perfect' scenario for Carr to shine...so, do we stay with the excuses
and waste his talents hoping for a 'perfect' offense that may not happen?

I wonder if it just takes a very special kind of back to base your whole offense around him.

LT, J. Lewis, and Steven Davis... All these guys are great backs that have the entire offense focused around them. in the case of Lewis and S. Davis, the only reason their teams have been successful is because their defense rocks. Now, I can understand why this can be a good thing.. after all.. Carolina went to the SB, and the Ravens have been dominating for quite a while now.. but the key to their success is their RB.. he is big, fast, tough, and very talented.. he can bust through the line for a yard, or break a 100 yard run, or catch the ball on a drop off pass and make things happen.. He allows the offense to get by with average receivers and an average QB. And I suppose that the money saved on offense allows you to pay your defensive playmakers the big bucks.. thus supporting a dominant defense.

Im sure Capers and Co. would love to have this setup.. but if thats what we wanted then we shouldnt have got us one of the best young QBs and WRs in the league. We need to play to our strengths. And that means we need to focus on our passing game, not our running game.

DD is great.. but he is great in a Warrick Dunn, Edgerrin(sp) James, Brian Westbrook kind of way. He is a talented back that can make big plays once you get the Defense looking for the pass. He isnt a 30+ carry per game type of back that is gonna carry the whole team to the playoffs.

The way I see it, we either need to start working that passing game.. or find us a premier, every down kind of back.

Personally im alright with either option. I like that we are trying to build a dominant defense.. im a defense kind of guy and I think that a defensive team would be fitting for this city. I also like a great running back.. I like watching us run the ball and I like running the ball in Madden :).. but we cant just toss any quality RB out there and expect him to be a Jamal Lewis. You gotta have the right guy, so if thats what we want to eventually do.. then start looking for him.. but in the meantime, work on that passing game.

Anywho. DD is great.. I love him.. i think he can be a key part of this offense, he IS a playmaker, he just isnt a one man show.

EDIT: btw. Steven Davis: 6'0", 230lbs. Jamal Lewis 5'11" 245lbs. D. Davis 5'9" 221lbs.

Thats a pretty big difference, especially when id say that both of them are faster than DD.

In contrast, LT is 5'10" 221lbs.. but they also use LT like a TE half the time too.. dumping it off to him. The Chargers have also sucked for a long time, maybe that has something to do with it :P.

DD is "A" weapon not "THE" weapon we have. The out come of this may be a bit of offensive growth for us, just like the artical. Personally, I have been waiting for us to lean on the other playmakers more and to start chllenging the other teams defense.

NoBullTexan said:
I don't know why Capers tends to be so conservative with the offense early in the season, but for the 3rd time in our young existence, he is starting us out that way. Hope he allows Palmer to open it up more Sunday against 'Da Raiders.

Humor me and give your defination of 'conservative'.

i dont think those bashing DD are making much sense. the only knock on DD so far is that he fumbles. he didnt fumble last year and a few early this season induces a knee-jerk reaction. then they want to stick hollings in because he's going to be better than DD simply because he's faster. hollings hasnt proven he's capable of producing for an entire game yet and appears to use KY on his hands. if DD fumbling is a problem, the last person we need in there is hollings.

i like both of em and believe we've got a great tandem, but c'mon ... it should be obvious that DD is our best back.

aj. said:
Yeah, 157 total yards and 2 TDs. He really lost that game for us. Without his offensive output, the Texans would never have been in postion to tie with 4 minutes left in the game.

Without his offensive output? It takes an offense to move down the field. Not Domanick Davis. Plug in Hollings or Wells, to take 800 5 yard passes, like Davis gets, and you are in the same boat.

I think that Davis has been doing too much fighting for extra yards at the wrong times. When you spin in place, and slip away from tacklers, you are in one spot where the D player can focus on the ball.

Hold on to the ball first.
Get your yards second.

Vinnie, I agree that we need a "power" back that can guarantee 2-3 yards on a 3rd or 4th down attemp. I am not sure DD would fill that bill. He may be a little light for that.To move a back with 75 yds/game rushing potential to a 3rd down back doesn't make sense to me. Like most, I worry about DD & Hollings injuries. Neither are pound it up the middle types. DD is a cut back runner (thus new blocking scheme) & Hollings is a scat back type for end arounds. Both can do well with draw plays with proper o line blocking. DD is also a receiver out of back field & some complaints seem to ignore those yards. Yes, we can point out any player's negatives which is fair but we need to give whole picture, folks.

I think Wells, DD, TH and occasional play by a full back will give us close to 200 yards rushing & receiving per game. Another 200 yds in passing to Tight Ends & Recievers (very possible) make for a good offensive game.

This response is to all messages on this thread.

i think DD is the best back we have right now. he is shifty and hard to bring down. he is also an excellent receiver out of the backfield and that adds a whole new dimension to our offense; however, he does need to learn how to hold on to the football better when he fights for those extra yards. and i somehow get the feeling he realizes that...but i can see how much he wants to be great in this league. it looks like he is trying to hard to succeed and doesnt concentrate enough. but practice and pep talks can solve that.

I like DD and think he will be just fine. I think we just over used DD in the first 2 games. We need to find the right balance of running and passing plays. We also need to put Hollings in to mix it up. I know Hollings has been out so maybe that was some of the cause of the DD over use. If we get a 1-2 punch running game going and up our number of pass plays then we just might get some back to back victories. That means throwing to the TE over the middle also. Throw more to AJ. Keep playing Armstrong. And how about some play action assuming we can get enough time to throw.

Back