Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What would be the most surprising position the Texans draft in the first round ?

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
This year I'd have to say QB because last year we always knew it was a possibility even after they the took Clowney #1 because of the opportunities they had to trade back into the first round for a QB like Bridgewater, Manziel, Carr,etc. This year they have an entirely different situation at QB in large part becuas it woulc be so expensve for the team picking 16 to get Mariota or Winston..
OK it's maybe a longer shot they draft offensive guard or center in the first round but that doesn't include offensive tackles because I see a serious possibilty they take an OT in the first round if all of the edge-rushers & WRs they covet are off of their Board when thy pick.

I see a serious possibilty they take an OT in the first round if all of the edge-rushers & WRs they covet are off of their Board when thy pick.

I think there is about a 0% chance of them taking an OT in the 1st. So I'll go with that one.

I think there is about a 0% chance of them taking an OT in the 1st. So I'll go with that one.

. I could see them taking a young OT that could come in and start at LG and improve the run game for a couple years and be the swing tackle until he takes over for Brown. Not likely but I would say there's a chance. Especially if OB wants to be run heavy like last year to take some pressure of the QB.

My opinion is such because I think it's much more likely that the most attractive pass-rushing prospects & WRs are both gone at #16 leaving OT and CB as the remaining premium positions for the Texans. So faced with the choice of reaching for a need @ either OLB or WR I'm hoping and expecting Billy O. and Rick to draft the value.

My opinion is such because I think it's much more likely that the most attractive pass-rushing prospects & WRs are both gone at #16 leaving OT and CB as the remaining premium positions for the Texans. So faced with the choice of reaching for a need @ either OLB or WR I'm hoping and expecting Billy O. and Rick to draft the value.

Which leaves CB and every other position since you don't find them "premium enough" out of consideration to create your false reach v. value choice of OLB v. OT.

I'll say TE would be the most surprising position.
Indeed the Texans drafting a TE in the first round would be a very surprising move by them. I mean I know Billy is known to emphasize TEs in his offense, but given whom they already have on their roster and what their needs are this year, and the TEs in this Draft that decision would be a stunner for sure. Now I can see them going TE in this year draft, but not until much later rounds than the first.

This year I'd have to say QB because last year we always knew it was a possibility even after they the took Clowney #1 because of the opportunities they had to trade back into the first round for a QB like Bridgewater, Manziel, Carr,etc. This year they have an entirely different situation at QB in large part becuas it woulc be so expensve for the team picking 16 to get Mariota or Winston..
OK it's maybe a longer shot they draft offensive guard or center in the first round but that doesn't include offensive tackles because I see a serious possibilty they take an OT in the first round if all of the edge-rushers & WRs they covet are off of their Board when thy pick.

I agree with 'Cak... no way we take an OT after we resigned Newtown. Sure it's possible they have plans for him at guard, but that would add to the surprise.

If Mariota drops past 8 I wouldn't be surprised if we move up to get him. I don't expect us to, but I can see us dumping one of our QBs before putting Newton on the bench.

I agree with 'Cak... no way we take an OT after we resigned Newtown. Sure it's possible they have plans for him at guard, but that would add to the surprise.

If Mariota drops past 8 I wouldn't be surprised if we move up to get him. I don't expect us to, but I can see us dumping one of our QBs before putting Newton on the bench.

We really need a QB! As was said by an announcer on the NFL channel today, "if you don't have a QB, you don't stand a chance". Maybe with our first pick, we will pick up another super OLB...............:texanbill:

No question they really want to take a receiver or edge-rusher with their first round pick, but what if all of the prospects they really like are gone and far and away the most highly rated player on their Board when they are selecting is an OT ? Because of their needs do they reach for an edge-rusher or WR in the first round who they've only got a second round grades on when their Board says the BPA is an offensive tackle ? You tell me ?
A far as Mariota falling that much, but if Billy really likes him then yea they might make a move even though it would be very exepnsive, but who knows how much Billy likes him ?

No question they really want to take a receiver or edge-rusher with their first round pick, but what if all of the prospects they really like are gone and far and away the most highly rated player on their Board when they are selecting is an OT ?

There's no way for OT to be far and away the most highly rated player when they pick.

Because of their needs do they reach for an edge-rusher or WR in the first round who they've only got a second round grades on when their Board says the BPA is an offensive tackle ? You tell me ?

Since when did CB, RB, DT, C, ILB and S disappear from football?

To mix things up, what non-quarterback position would surprise you the most? Assuming the Texans only take a single pick, I guess the position that would surprise me the most would be either safety position: Landon Collins doesn't strike me as a significant upgrade over Swearinger and has some flaws of his own (at least not enough to take him 16th overall), and the best free safety is probably Gerod Holliman, who I wouldn't touch before the third round.

If we trade down with, say, the Cowboys and are picking 27th overall, maybe Landon Collins makes sense, but not where we're currently slated.

To mix things up, what non-quarterback position would surprise you the most? Assuming the Texans only take a single pick, I guess the position that would surprise me the most would be either safety position: Landon Collins doesn't strike me as a significant upgrade over Swearinger and has some flaws of his own (at least not enough to take him 16th overall), and the best free safety is probably Gerod Holliman, who I wouldn't touch before the third round.

If we trade down with, say, the Cowboys and are picking 27th overall, maybe Landon Collins makes sense, but not where we're currently slated.

Aside from the obvious Kicker or Punter, a Running back would surprise me the most.

There's no way for OT to be far and away the most highly rated player when they pick.

Unless you really expect me to believe that you somehow are privy to the contents of the Texans' Board, I dunno how you can seriously make that assertion ?

Unless you really expect me to believe that you somehow are privy to the contents of the Texans' Board, I dunno how you can seriously make that assertion ?

Please, it doesn't take Carnac the Magnificent to look at this draft class and say hell no your hypothetical isn't happening unless you want to start with the assumption the Texans are thoroughly incompetent.

Try to construct 15 picks with any credibility where the 2 QBs are gone plus every OLB (including convertible DEs) and WR are gone such that the next OT available is "far and away" the most highly rated player left.

Doubt he'd be BPA

But it's of course all predicated on who remains on their Board when they are up to pick, i.e. who's been drafted in the first 15 picks. For example several have said that the X-Man was the Texans' BPA on their Board when they cast the #33 rd overall pick in the Draft at the beginning of the second round in the 2014 Draft ? I would have never guessed they would use that pick on an offensive guard ?

But it's of course all predicated on who remains on their Board when they are up to pick, i.e. who's been drafted in the first 15 picks. For example several have said that the X-Man was the Texans' BPA on their Board when they cast the #33 rd overall pick in the Draft at the beginning of the second round in the 2014 Draft ? I would have never guessed they would use that pick on an offensive guard ?

Of course it depends on how the draft falls.

Wasn't X thought to be the top guard prospect pretty much by all? No way was he gonna slide to the 3rd when many thought he'd go in the 1st so if the Texans wanted him it had to be at 33

Try to construct 15 picks with any credibility where the 2 QBs are gone plus every OLB (including convertible DEs) and WR are gone such that the next OT available is "far and away" the most highly rated player left.

Not necessarily OT, but there are many nightmare scenarios IMO for us at #16...

1. Tampa Bay – Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State
2. Tennessee – Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon
3. Jacksonville – Leonard Williams, DT, USC
4. Oakland – Kevin White, WR, West Virginia
5. Washington – Dante Fowler Jr., DE, Florida
6. NY Jets – Vic Beasley, OLB, Clemson
7. Chicago – Danny Shelton, DT, Washington
8. Atlanta – Bud Dupree, OLB, Kentucky

9. NY Giants – Brandon Scherff, OT/G, Iowa
10. St. Louis – Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama
11. Minnesota – Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan State
12. Cleveland – DeVante Parker, WR, Louisville
13. New Orleans – Randy Gregory, OLB, Nebraska
14. Miami – WR
15. San Francisco – DE
16. Houston –​

Trades, combinations, shuffling... I can see these top 13 off the board.

14. Miami – WR
15. San Francisco – DE
16. Houston –​

Yeah that'd pretty much be a nightmare... in that scenario hopefully they'd trade up with the Giants to get either Cooper or Parker

14. Miami – WR
15. San Francisco – DE
16. Houston –​

LOL - wait what happened to the last 2?

Anyway, so best OT available (keeping to IDEXAN's point) Collins? (It's rare for only one OT to be taken ahead of 15 and that's indicative of a shitty year which kind of knocks the "far and away" best talent hypothetical out of the park).

What else is available? - Gurley, Ray, Shelton, Collins, Thompson, Brown, Amistead, Dupree, Peters, Perriman, Beckham, Johnson.

There's a ton of folks in the ballpark of comparable talent level at multiple positions.

LOL - wait what happened to the last 2?
Not, sure... had Ray there... he would be in that group.

What else is available? - Gurley, , , Collins, Thompson, Brown, Amistead, , Peters, Perriman, Beckham, Johnson.
Yeah, those guys.
There's a ton of folks in the ballpark of comparable talent level at multiple positions.
I'm talking about the cutoff area of first round graded prospects that we need.

Just saying it's not inconceivable that top 6 rushers, top 3 WRs, and the QBs are gone for our pick. Nightmare scenario. And I don't think it's a great-at-the-top OT class when the first guy off most boards is expected to be moved to OG.

Just saying it's not inconceivable that top 6 rushers, top 3 WRs, and the QBs are gone for our pick. Nightmare scenario. And I don't think it's a great-at-the-top OT class when the first guy off most boards is expected to be moved to OG.

Exactly on both counts. The OT class at the top isn't that strong. There will not be an OT who is far and away above everyone else and it isn't a need position at all. So I'd be shocked to see an OT taken at 16.

You weren't paying attention as Wade Smith was getting accosted down after down.

Pro Bowl my asz

Since when did CB, RB, DT, C, ILB and S disappear from football?
We already have starters at these positions. Whether these positions can be upgraded is a separate discussion, but the fact we do have starters lowers the priority for drafting these positions.

We already have starters at these positions. Whether these positions can be upgraded is a separate discussion, but the fact we do have starters lowers the priority for drafting these positions.

You're jumping into the tail end of a value discussion with a need argument.

On top of that it's dumb to plan on a rookie CB. The C you are calling a starter has never started an NFL game at C. And we have who next to Cushing (who some consider done)? Our RB who is most likely gone next year has problems staying healthy and a scrub for a backup.

I'll give you safety now that we have Moore.

To top it all off the alternative presented to those positions was OT where...WE HAVE BOTH OUR STARTERS.

If any position is drafted other than OLB or WR, it will be a surprise; but since the question asks what one position would be most surprising, I'll agree with Mussop and Marshall and go with long snapper.

I think the idea with OT Collins would be to put him at LG, put Xavier at Center, and leave Ben Jones at the flex interior lineman who can play all three positions. And it's not like people wouldn't have picked an OT in the top 15 because they have great o-lines, either.

I think the idea with OT Collins would be to put him at LG, put Xavier at Center, and leave Ben Jones at the flex interior lineman who can play all three positions. And it's not like people wouldn't have picked an OT in the top 15 because they have great o-lines, either.

Are you saying you would take a LG at #1?

What gives you the impression that X can play center?

Are you saying you would take a LG at #1?

What gives you the impression that X can play center?

I think he had to play Center at times at UCLA due to injuries, and IIRC they used him at Center some snaps during the pre-season? This was from that State of the Texans 16-for-16 article when they talked up Collins.

I think he had to play Center at times at UCLA due to injuries, and IIRC they used him at Center some snaps during the pre-season? This was from that State of the Texans 16-for-16 article when they talked up Collins.

No, he only suggested Texans could slide XSF to center. Not that he played C at UCLA. Pretty sure he took some snaps at every OL position in practice. I'd think Texans will go with KISS for X this year. We'll see.

someone that can make an impact

badum-tish.jpg

Outside of ST players and QB, probably guard. Second most surprising would be TE. I don't want a guard or TE at 16. I'm ok with virtually anywhere else.

But a caveat on any of this. If the Texans were to trade down, I'm fine with BPA at any position. I don't think there is a position on the roster that couldn't be made better and/or have someone ready to take over in 16, such as in RB or CB.

On the converse, my first two positions (assuming they stay at 16) are OLB/pass rusher, and WR.

I really don't want a RB in round one either but Gurley could be the exception. He is Marshawn Lynch versatile and that good overall. Where would Seattle have been the last two years without Lynch? If you aren't going to have a dominant QB, the next best thing is a dominant ground game, and I don't trust in AF's age or injury history, and Blue is ok as a #2 or #3 but the workhorse? I don't know bout all that now.

If AF goes down, having someone like Gurley immediately ready to take the load makes some sense, and then he takes over completely for Foster in 16. And if AF isn't injured, lightening his load in 2015 with a super legit backup also makes some sense.

It's something that even a week ago, I would have probably said nah...but I'm coming around to the possibility as I think he is special.

It would also depend on who is there at #16 of course.

If we truly went BPA at 16 ... BPA will probably be Melvin Gordon.

So I guess I will go with RB, but would love the pick.

Back