Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What will it take for you NOT to call for BOB's head?

bigmck

Rookie
I just read that the Cowboys are interviewing Mike McCarthy and Marvin Lewis. -- Any of you who are hiring coaches for the Texans, it appears Jason Garrett will be available. Better grab that phone. :gathering:

mws

Rookie
I just read that the Cowboys are interviewing Mike McCarthy and Marvin Lewis. -- Any of you who are hiring coaches for the Texans, it appears Jason Garrett will be available. Better grab that phone. :gathering:
Since 2014 Garrett has won more regular season games than O'Brien & doubled his post season wins.

Regular Season 2014-2019
Garrett: 56-40 .583
O'Brien: 52-44 .542

Playoff Record
Garrett: 2-3 .400
O'Brien: 1-3 .250

Reactions: ROO

Porky

Hall of Fame
Dude is the OC and his offense under performs on a consistent basis. If he handed the reigns to a real OC I could live with him being HC although he is mediocre. But he Sucks as a OC. I hate every single thing about his philosophy and game day play calling.

And he is the most grating personality and really unlikable. I just don’t like the guy. Probably shouldn’t matter but people tend to be more patient with others if they are likable and have an agreeable personality.

So for me, it would require him to 100% unwind himself from the offense in terms of design and overall philosophy, hire a damn good OC and just be the HC only. Since that ain’t happening, my answer is nothing. He needs to go. Period.

ROO

Tweak the offense already!
Bum Phillips' Oilers went toe to toe with the Pittsburgh Steelers for three consecutive years. Was firing Bum the right decision? Would you have fired him?
Would not have fired him.

Bill Belichick is debatably the best coach in history. Yet he went 36-45 his first 5 years. ( This compares with Bill O'Brien's record of 42-38 ) Would you have fired Bill Belichick?
Can't answer that question because I do not have enough information. I did not watch Belichick's team very often as I have with O'Brien's Texans. Was Belichick's playcalling a bunch of crap? Did he often make poor decisions? Was he blessed with some very talented players, yet failed to put them in a position to win?

In 2000 Belichick began coaching New England. This was also Tom Brady's rookie season. The next three seasons NE went 5-11, 11-5 & 9-7. ( this compares to Deshaun Waton's / Bill O'Brien's record of 4-12, 11-5 & 10-6 ).

Would you have fired Belichick after the 2002 season?
Same answer as above pretty much. I wouldn't base the termination of the coach on solely the win-loss record. Was the team showing improvement? Was the talent being used to its strengths? Were good decisions being made such that it was obvious that good times were coming?

bigmck

Rookie
Bum Phillips' Oilers went toe to toe with the Pittsburgh Steelers for three consecutive years. Was firing Bum the right decision? Would you have fired him?
I remember at the time being glad he got fired, but looking back, Bum was a winner. One of the best ever even though he never won the Big One.

bigmck

Rookie
I was the opposite, hated that Bum got fired, he was awesome. Bud Adams was a ______.
I can't argue your take on Bud. That whole team was one for the ages. Dan Pastorini and his women, Ladd Herzog sticking his butt over the balcony, Bum's country accent just completed everything. Aside from that they played some pretty good football.

banned1976

sleeper mode
My perspective on O’Brien is a little different than some because I was fully onboard with his hiring. It wasn’t until last season that he lost me. That said, because I was a fan of BoB at one point I can be a little more impressed by him than those who never liked him to begin with.

What impressed me yesterday were the halftime adjustments he made. He put faith in Watson and Watson rewarded him by orchestrating a magical come from behind victory.

I thought he should have kicked the field goal at the end of regulation but I think a lot of HC’s would have opted to go for the first down. It’s one of those situations where if you go for it and get it, thus putting the game on ice, it looks like a brilliant move. Don’t get it and you look like a fool.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
In 2000 Belichick began coaching New England. This was also Tom Brady's rookie season. The next three seasons NE went 5-11, 11-5 & 9-7. ( this compares to Deshaun Waton's / Bill O'Brien's record of 4-12, 11-5 & 10-6 ).

Would you have fired Belichick after the 2002 season?
That 11-5 season in 2001 finished with a Super Bowl win. So not a real good comparison.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
He was hired for his
My perspective on O’Brien is a little different than some because I was fully onboard with his hiring. It wasn’t until last season that he lost me. That said, because I was a fan of BoB at one point I can be a little more impressed by him than those who never liked him to begin with.

What impressed me yesterday were the halftime adjustments he made. He put faith in Watson and Watson rewarded him by orchestrating a magical come from behind victory.

I thought he should have kicked the field goal at the end of regulation but I think a lot of HC’s would have opted to go for the first down. It’s one of those situations where if you go for it and get it, thus putting the game on ice, it looks like a brilliant move. Don’t get it and you look like a fool.
I was okay going for it on 4th down. But the play calling, formations and personnel on 2nd and 3rd down were questionable. It's always a mixed bag with O'Brien.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
At this point with mortgaging the future if he doesn’t make it to the AFCCG then he has to go. There is too much talent on the offense to be manhandled by Denver and even Baltimore.

Normally I would be more forgiving and say getting to the Divisional Round would be sufficient since it would be another positive step forward. However with the two factors listed before the bar has to be raised.

If he can’t get it done now then he is basically Marvin Lewis 2.0 in my opinion.
It's been proven that the future hasn't been mortgaged.

BOB has gotten farther in the playoffs than Lewis ever has.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Hoisting a Lombardi ….

Anything else and I want him gone.
They aren't near good enough for this.

Some mighty unrealistic expectations around here.

You would've thought the Texans lost yesterday. Instead they did something many thought BOB couldn't do. Win a playoff game and take this franchise to the highest level they've been since their inception.

Not saying BOB is anything but a mediocre HC.

ROO

Tweak the offense already!
Instead they did something many thought BOB couldn't do. Win a playoff game and take this franchise to the highest level they've been since their inception.
BOB won the game? No, BOB should be kneeling at the altar of Saint Watson and Saint Watt, sacrificing pages from his playbook to the Gridiron Gods, begging for forgiveness of his sinful excuse of an offensive scheme.

mws

Rookie
Win a playoff game and take this franchise to the highest level they've been since their inception.
I don't see this as the highest level at all. We won in the wildcard round. We have done this 3 times before. The first time was 2011.

Unless we beat the Chiefs on Sunday then 2012 with a 12-4 record & a wildcard win will still be the best season this franchise has had.

Here's hoping that the Texans do something on Sunday that no Houston NFL team has done since 1979. That they advance to the AFCCG. Anything else is been there, done that.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I don't see this as the highest level at all. We won in the wildcard round. We have done this 3 times before. The first time was 2011.

Unless we beat the Chiefs on Sunday then 2012 with a 12-4 record & a wildcard win will still be the best season this franchise has had.

Here's hoping that the Texans do something on Sunday that no Houston NFL team has done since 1979. That they advance to the AFCCG. Anything else is been there, done that.
MWS, I hear you, and I want more, but we have beaten Pats, Chiefs, Titans, and Bills this year. So this team has beaten every AFC playoff team but the Ravens. You could make an argument this is the best season for showing Texans belong. Let's get this week so there is no debate!

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Instead they did something many thought BOB couldn't do. Win a playoff game and take this franchise to the highest level they've been since their inception.
We've been to the Divisional round before. Once with BO'b. We've been saying (I've been saying) he was brought in to get us past the Divisional round & so far hasn't.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
If we put up a good showing on both sides of the ball against KC it's gonna be silly to fire him.
As it stands now I can't see Cal firing him.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
you know what? let the guy go play GM for a year or two and live in the mess he created. We have the team we need to win now, just need the right coach/OC combination. Fire him when we get back into the Drafting business. Boom. Win/Win. He can go back to NE and be their GM. Everybody is happy. We might win one in the process.

His coaching and game call are detrimental to the team. (his GM'ing is too, but the damage is done there now - how much worse he trades ALL our picks? LOL)

Deshaun showed everyone yesterday he's the one. Hopefully Cal and Janice looked up from counting their $100 bills long enough to notice.

Grams

Veteran
I would have fired him after the Denver game. How does a coach that gets the team ready to beat the Pats then have the team fall apart the next week against Denver. We should have blown Denver away that game.

I would still fire him after his next loss, unless we win the SB this year.

Definitely do not want him as GM as he has already screwed the next couple of drafts. Don't want to give him the ammunition to screw up anymore drafts. We need a real GM not a GM/HC/OC.

He would need to hire a real OC and keep his hands off the offense. Definitely need to hire a new OL coach. I am really tired of hearing him say we need to coach better. He should know how to coach by now.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
it's pretty bad when the live color guy and analysts are questioning the coaching. then the halftime guys all take their shots at coaching having a HOF QB precisely point out what could instantly help the team (and VOILA! the very thing he brings up was the catalyst for the comeback!!)

not a good look.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
it's pretty bad when the live color guy and analysts are questioning the coaching. then the halftime guys all take their shots at coaching having a HOF QB precisely point out what could instantly help the team (and VOILA! the very thing he brings up was the catalyst for the comeback!!)

not a good look.
Maybe his coaching adjustments are watching the halftime show. Oh wait, are the Texans allowed to have a live feed in the locker room? Anyone at the game hear any banging of trash cans in the 2nd half?

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Bob's safe. He's won this one as far as I'm concerned. Not because I've finally grown to like him or because he's done something I appreciate. I just finally lost enough interest in what the team is doing to no longer care who the HC is or how things are going. In my world he's like some kind of semi-visible "Wayne Fontes" type HC. You just casually wonder every few years (while you're having a great time on gameday whether the team wins or loses) "Oh yeah... Is he still here?"

Is it better to be loved or feared? Neither. It's best as an NFL coach to be invisible. O'Brien is invisible.

bigmck

Rookie
Bob's safe. He's won this one as far as I'm concerned. Not because I've finally grown to like him or because he's done something I appreciate. I just finally lost enough interest in what the team is doing to no longer care who the HC is or how things are going. In my world he's like some kind of semi-visible "Wayne Fontes" type HC. You just casually wonder every few years (while you're having a great time on gameday whether the team wins or loses) "Oh yeah... Is he still here?"

Is it better to be loved or feared? Neither. It's best as an NFL coach to be invisible. O'Brien is invisible.
Wayne Fontes.............I know that name. Who did he coach for?

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Just guessing, but I think if BOB won it this year, there would be a lot of guys who would still want him gone. It is like a 6 year bad marriage that isn't turned around after a nice evening out.

Probably so.

Hell , we'd probably just say the only reason they won was Watson pulled his fat out of the fire …. again.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Probably so.

Hell , we'd probably just say the only reason they won was Watson pulled his fat out of the fire …. again.
We’d say it and it would be true. That dumbass would have been sent packing almost anywhere else by now and would probably even be gone here if he didn’t have Watson.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Probably so.

We’d say it and it would be true. That dumbass would have been sent packing almost anywhere else by now and would probably even be gone here if he didn’t have Watson.
The biggest difference between him and Kubiak is that Cal didn't make him hire a proven OC

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
The biggest difference between him and Kubiak is that Cal didn't make him hire a proven OC
The biggest difference is one of them had a proven offensive system that's won superbowls before and since.
The other one claimed to have an awesome offensive system …. but a Harvard grad was too stupid to run it.

But yeah , a proven OC , assuming its not a Yes Man would be great.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
You're right. Bob had to make Kubiak hire a proven DC. The fact that Kubiak did not know his ass from a hole in the ground where defense was concerned was apparent to everyone but Gary pretty quickly. After Kubiak proved incapable of finding a young up-and-coming DC among his buddies Bob "assigned" him a proven good one. Gary was hired to make the offense happen and he did.

Butt-Chin was brought in with some OC cred/history as well but he was smart enough to get behind RAC as his DC and I'll give him that. What he can't seem to do is run an offense and surprisingly he can't seem to find an OC who can do it consistently either.

Will Cal eventually nut up to Butt-Chin and make him hire someone who knows how to manage a clock and coach on offense?

I kind of doubt it.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
You're right. Bob had to make Kubiak hire a proven DC. The fact that Kubiak did not know his ass from a hole in the ground where defense was concerned was apparent to everyone but Gary pretty quickly. After Kubiak proved incapable of finding a young up-and-coming DC among his buddies Bob "assigned" him a proven good one. Gary was hired to make the offense happen and he did.

Butt-Chin was brought in with some OC cred/history as well but he was smart enough to get behind RAC as his DC and I'll give him that. What he can't seem to do is run an offense and surprisingly he can't seem to find an OC who can do it consistently either.

Will Cal eventually nut up to Butt-Chin and make him hire someone who knows how to manage a clock and coach on offense?

I kind of doubt it.
I doubt it too. He will either kiss his ass or fire him.

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Umm if we are competive against the chiefs and it comes down to the last mins of the 4th qtr

honestly tho if we get blown out billy still keeps his job IMO

bigmck

Rookie
Umm if we are competive against the chiefs and it comes down to the last mins of the 4th qtr

honestly tho if we get blown out billy still keeps his job IMO
Even if it is close and we lose, there should be some consideration by Cal to fire OB. Look at the Bills game, OB almost lost that one by going for it on 4th down at the end. Sure he was trying to put the game away, but a FG would have gone a long way to putting the game away and was a sure thing. Things like that is what gets a coach fired and OB is way past due to be fired. Cal needs to back up a dump truck of money for Urban Meyer.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
I might be in the minority but I’d be curious to see if BOB‘s head coaching would improve if he relinquished the OC/play calling duties. It’s difficult to wear so many hats, it spreads your attention too thin.

Lance Zeirlein reported that a source close to the team told him that Kelly installs the game plan on Wed but that OB tends to make changes late in the week. As we all know, for the most part, we’ve been pretty bad in the first quarter this year. This reflects poorly OB for one of two reasons. Number one, he’s micromanaging his staff to the point of causing problems. Either OBs ideas aren’t great or the lack of practice time for his ideas is causing the poor results. Either one is not acceptable. Number two, Kelly isn’t a competent OC. If that is the case why continue to let him design game plans that he feels the need to change late in the week. Not good

IMO, OB has a big ego, and I’d like to see him humble himself a bit. To me, it seems like he thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room. I’d like to see him bring in an experienced top notch OC and let the guy go to work. Just stay out of his way, and focus on big picture stuff. I will give him kudos for bringing in Smith as our QB coach, that was a step in the right direction. Now, if Kelly knows what he’s doing let him do his job and stay out of the way. If not, hire the best guy possible and let him go to work.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Even if it is close and we lose, there should be some consideration by Cal to fire OB. Look at the Bills game, OB almost lost that one by going for it on 4th down at the end. Sure he was trying to put the game away, but a FG would have gone a long way to putting the game away and was a sure thing. Things like that is what gets a coach fired and OB is way past due to be fired. Cal needs to back up a dump truck of money for Urban Meyer.
Kicking a FG there would have been the worst of options...

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
No its not, those are the kind of things that either make a call look brilliant or stupid but its not what gets coaches fired. If it had worked everyone would have been praising BoB for trusting his star players and putting the game in their hands. I seem to recall a similar game earlier this year where it was 4th and BoB trusted Watson, who threw it to Hop to put the game away. Everyone was praising him for finally letting his stars be stars instead of kicking a FG, only difference between the two calls is that one worked and one didn't

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I might be in the minority but I’d be curious to see if BOB‘s head coaching would improve if he relinquished the OC/play calling duties. It’s difficult to wear so many hats, it spreads your attention too thin.

Lance Zeirlein reported that a source close to the team told him that Kelly installs the game plan on Wed but that OB tends to make changes late in the week. As we all know, for the most part, we’ve been pretty bad in the first quarter this year. This reflects poorly OB for one of two reasons. Number one, he’s micromanaging his staff to the point of causing problems. Either OBs ideas aren’t great or the lack of practice time for his ideas is causing the poor results. Either one is not acceptable. Number two, Kelly isn’t a competent OC. If that is the case why continue to let him design game plans that he feels the need to change late in the week. Not good

IMO, OB has a big ego, and I’d like to see him humble himself a bit. To me, it seems like he thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room. I’d like to see him bring in an experienced top notch OC and let the guy go to work. Just stay out of his way, and focus on big picture stuff. I will give him kudos for bringing in Smith as our QB coach, that was a step in the right direction. Now, if Kelly knows what he’s doing let him do his job and stay out of the way. If not, hire the best guy possible and let him go to work.
This is a narrative that's gotten very popular around here and I'm curious what people are basing it on or is it just that its been repeated so many times people have started to believe it? If its based off how he does interviews BB has been an ass to reporters his entire career even before he got to NE, Varbel basically called several reporters stupid after we beat the Titans last time. Seems to be a personality thing to treat reporters like children, I personally love it, more than it is an arrogance thing.

If its based on the "Mic'ed up" conversations I guess it would be to much to ask that people keep in mind that those are very short sound bytes in the middle of the game with very little context. Even the ones where he tells Watson something we don't know what the two of them have said in the locker room or training camp but they never seem to have issue with each other. Again it was Watson that made the speech and gave OB the game ball after we slapped NE around.

Can't be based on former players as the only ones that have really had bad things to say since he got here was Brown and that guy that went to Philly who's name I forget and didn't see any names that look familiar on the Eagles roster. Brown's issue was mainly with McNair and the other guy had a grudge against the whole team the medical staff in particular. Even the one player you might could say would have an issue with OB himself, Foster, is on the coaching staff now so he can't have to much of a problem with him.

I don't know either, maybe he is arrogant and acts like the smartest guy in the room but unless someone on here is in the locker room or in the training camps or in the coaching meetings or at least has met OB in person then this is just another narrative that isn't based on any fact.