Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What will it take for you NOT to call for BOB's head?

Max

Veteran
Understood that we're not Cal and none of this matters because of that. But is there a scenario where you give BOB a pass in the playoffs this year?

I gave up the last shred of hope for BOB after the Buc's game when the offense couldn't put them away early. But I already know that some hope will creep back in if our offense looks great the entire playoff run. So my list:

We have to beat Buffalo. It doesn't matter how good the O looks - we have more talent and we're at home.

Divisional round: We have to have a good showing on offense and if we lose, it's because our defense let us down or we get screwed by the refs. If the O sputters or if there's a game management error, I don't see myself letting any hope creep back in for BOB. I don't see us beating the Chiefs at their place w/ a healthy Mahomes and the Ravens are better than us. But we can't get thumped by either of them.

AFCCG: If we're able to get here, the list stays the same for me. Good showing on O, competitive and no game management errors costing us the game.

Super Bowl: He gets a pass from me irregardless of what happens if we magically get to the SB. This team substantially overachieved if we get here.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
About 4 back to back superbowls.
1- He stumbled into the win
2- Look at that he is one lucky son of a buscket.
3- better to be mediocre and lucky than good.... clearly.
4- Please stay with us forever Mr OB.

As far as me being hesitantly "okay" with him staying here..next season. winning against Buffalo is certainly step one.. I'm not planning anything beyond Buffalo til he can do that.

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
Understood that we're not Cal and none of this matters because of that. But is there a scenario where you give BOB a pass in the playoffs this year?

I gave up the last shred of hope for BOB after the Buc's game when the offense couldn't put them away early. But I already know that some hope will creep back in if our offense looks great the entire playoff run. So my list:

We have to beat Buffalo. It doesn't matter how good the O looks - we have more talent and we're at home.

Divisional round: We have to have a good showing on offense and if we lose, it's because our defense let us down or we get screwed by the refs. If the O sputters or if there's a game management error, I don't see myself letting any hope creep back in for BOB. I don't see us beating the Chiefs at their place w/ a healthy Mahomes and the Ravens are better than us. But we can't get thumped by either of them.

AFCCG: If we're able to get here, the list stays the same for me. Good showing on O, competitive and no game management errors costing us the game.

Super Bowl: He gets a pass from me irregardless of what happens if we magically get to the SB. This team substantially overachieved if we get here.
These are realistic expectations.

Reactions: Max

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I need this team revved up and performing well with no outlandishly stupid game or clock management issues leading up to the AFC championship game.

In the AFC championship game I need a respectable performance even if we lose.

That's what gets a "pass" from me. What do I need to see beyond that to be hopeful about the direction and future of this team?

I'd like to see Watt have an epic performance resembling a Hollywood script. I want to see Watson shine and leave no doubt he is THE MAN. I think the playoffs are always a great venue for new young players to emerge and establish themselves on a national stage. I hope Cunningham can do that and maybe another...

The clock is ticking and we have some small chance for vengeance against the Bill's. Let's not schrute this up.

txtx

Waterboy
Great thread topic.

My answer: hard to know, cos it's impossible to know if the team will be prepared in a motivation aspect or in a game plan aspect. If they are and the game(s) are close and the Texans lose, then probably the bad defense and (still) bad offensive line are to blame. [Going from 66 sacks to 49 after so many roster moves and loss of draft picks, is not something to cheer about.] I still strongly feel Devlin is a terrible OL coach and should go even if they win the Super Bowl. So if they lose a close game or games and he's replaced, I may be okay with O'Brien. They finally got the right special teams coach, and it has made a big difference this year--2 blocked FGs helped determine two wins, in an age where it's very hard to block a kick.

texanhead08

All Pro
1. Come out and kick ass tomorrow and the offense not have the deer in the headlights look.
2. Be competitive if we face the Ravens again next week and not get skull fucked like we did the first game.
3. Consistency and no clock management blunders and misuse of timeouts and challenges.
4. Drill it in #4 head to not be afraid to dump it off and get positive yards instead of taking unnecessary hits/sacks.

Big Lou

Hall of Fame
At this point with mortgaging the future if he doesn’t make it to the AFCCG then he has to go. There is too much talent on the offense to be manhandled by Denver and even Baltimore.

Normally I would be more forgiving and say getting to the Divisional Round would be sufficient since it would be another positive step forward. However with the two factors listed before the bar has to be raised.

If he can’t get it done now then he is basically Marvin Lewis 2.0 in my opinion.

DanielTx

Veteran
Ob has been blown out in 3 playoff games and has one playoff win against a backup qb. JJ has records, awards, achievements but it’s time to change that and get him a ring. Let’s be realistic here. When is the last time a bad coach won a Super Bowl? Theres a reason we’re playing first on Saturday. No one believes in us with Ob. He isn’t the right coach but I’m still picking us to win the sb this year. I don’t expect him to get fired once we lose. Our ownership doesn’t care about winning in the playoffs.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Well said sir. He's basically only the coach because we can't find someone better.
I wouldnt say so much that "we cant find better" I think it is more a case of "we are too afraid to let him go in search of someone better."

IF there were no one better, we would be foolish to let him go. I believe there ARE better coaches, it just comes down to finding them and not settling because it could be worse.

Mediocre is AWESOME if you are continuously stuck at the bottom. Not so much when mediocrity becomes a long running theme to your team.

Last edited:

powda

I wouldnt say so much that "we cant find better" I think it is more a case of "we are too affraid to let him go in search of someone better."

IF there were no one better, we would be foolish to let him go. I believe there ARE better coaches, it just comes down to finding them and not settling because it could be worse.

Mediocre is AWESOME if you are continuously stuck at the bottom. Not so much when mediocrity becomes a long running theme to your team.
Who's on the market you would target that is hands down better then ob? I don't disagree with your premise at all. I just wonder what hc candidates I might be overlooking?

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Who's on the market you would target that is hands down better then ob? I don't disagree with your premise at all. I just wonder what hc candidates I might be overlooking?
I have no one particularly in mind, but I refuse to believe that OB is the best coach out there.

IF I believed OB to be the "Best"..I would have ZERO hope for this team at all in present nor future.

I'd rather break a few eggs to make an omlet than just pull into the McDonald's drive thru cause I believe that a trip to McDs is the "best I can get".because the search for better might get a bit messy.

powda

I have no one particularly in mind, but I refuse to believe that OB is the best coach out there.

IF I believed OB to be the "Best"..I would have ZERO hope for this team at all in present nor future.

I'd rather break a few eggs to make an omlet than just pull into the McDonald's drive thru cause I believe that a trip to McDs is the "best I can get".because the search for better might get a bit messy.

I do want better. I think we both do, I just want a target with promise rather than blind luck and hoping we land the right guy.

The turnover rate among nfl hc's is actually quite small this year and presents great chances we wouldn't get for candidates most years...

badboy

Hall of Fame
I'm just not sure how to answer that. I want to say get to the Superbowl; however that could happen because players and DeShaun Watson man up & get there despite mistakes made by HC and his staff.

I have the same concerns about DeShaun Watson and same demands from him. He has not been the QB he can be or I expect him to be. Unlike some here I believe that we could get to the Super Bowl with number 4 playing as he has but that would mean other players really over producing if that makes sense. Also the other team would have to make several mistakes that Houston was able to capitalize on. If he is going to be a mega dollar Quarterback he needs to play like one.

For me to be grudgingly satisfied getting to SB the entire offense and defense as well as coaches need to prove it during the games.

Sloppy wins are like getting a purple heart because the commode lid hit you in the head as you were puking out the booze.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Bob has a pass from me until there are any whispers that Cal is not committed totally to O'Brien through 2021. Not going to frustrate myself thinking about what not going to happen.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I do want better. I think we both do, I just want a target with promise rather than blind luck and hoping we land the right guy.

The turnover rate among nfl hc's is actually quite small this year and presents great chances we wouldn't get for candidates most years...
Oh boy there's a whole lot of divorced women out there for us to choose from. How about going for somebody who hasn't already gotten kicked out of the house and more often than not more than once?

Reactions: ROO

powda

Oh boy there's a whole lot of divorced women out there for us to choose from. How about going for somebody who hasn't already gotten kicked out of the house and more often than not more than once?
If I recall, Belichick was divorced...

Texansballer74

The Marine

You know that’s extremely hard to do when you’re a fan. You have to find out who’s available. If their type of scheme fits our core players. As we as so much more.

I would have love it if we hired Kyle Shanahan

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club

I am at the point that ANYTHING different or ANYONE different is a reason to hope.

Im tired of doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

Regardless of what it is keeping him from the "next level" if not now.... when do we finally cut ties and admit that it just wont happen?

At this point the Texans org is the ugly girl paying all the bills, putting up with the insults and the disappointments, giving up more and more control, just because every now and then he brings her a flower and says she is pretty.

powda

I am at the point that ANYTHING different or ANYONE different is a reason to hope.

Im tired of doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

Regardless of what it is keeping him from the "next level" if not now.... when do we finally cut ties and admit that it just wont happen?

At this point the Texans org is the ugly girl paying all the bills, putting up with the insults and the disappointments, giving up more and more control, just because every now and then he brings her a flower and says she is pretty.
I understand, I just want an option better then Freddie kitchens.

Reactions: JB

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!

If the zombie apocalypse happened or any kind of apocalyptic type event I reckon I might....

Grams

Veteran
1. Make it to the SB

2. Look like a real NFL team in the SB and not the local HS JV team and get blown out.

Then he might get a pass - at least for the first half of next year. He's mortgaged the future for this year, he needs to produce or be gone if he fails to reach the super bowl.

bigmck

Rookie
Well said sir. He's basically only the coach because we can't find someone better.
No, there are a lot of guys out there who would do the job better. Did Cal only starting running the team after Bob Mc died or was he the head guy before? The reason I ask is that Cal might be an Owner who will stick with a HC for years.

bigmck

Rookie
Ob has been blown out in 3 playoff games and has one playoff win against a backup qb. JJ has records, awards, achievements but it’s time to change that and get him a ring. Let’s be realistic here. When is the last time a bad coach won a Super Bowl? Theres a reason we’re playing first on Saturday. No one believes in us with Ob. He isn’t the right coach but I’m still picking us to win the sb this year. I don’t expect him to get fired once we lose. Our ownership doesn’t care about winning in the playoffs.
All NFL Owners want to win just like when we play in a pickup neighborhood game, we all want to win but losing is not that big a deal. The NFL Owners watch the bank account, losing is not that big a deal.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
No, there are a lot of guys out there who would do the job better. Did Cal only starting running the team after Bob Mc died or was he the head guy before? The reason I ask is that Cal might be an Owner who will stick with a HC for years.
Cal acts like he just started leading after Papa passed, but he has been in the decision-making circle at a minimum since Bob McNair 1st became ill. Honestly probably before that.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
When OB brings home his 2nd SB trophy, then I'll (maybe) relent. Until then, I want him gone.

gone gone gone

fire his ******* ass

Bring in whoever'll sign on the dotted line, I don't care. I'm sick of OB and want him gone.
Basically how I feel. He's long overstayed his welcome. If I'm Cal, the only reason he's still here is out of respect for pops.

But his last chance started when I fired his lame ass super conservative GM that was in complete alignment with him.

If I were Cal, I'd have told him then... figure out how to get this team to the Super Bowl, make it happen, or get out.

Unrealistic? Maybe. But if I were Cal I'd have fired BO'b before the Colts left the field 1/5/2019

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
The whole damn thing sucks because you want the Texans to be successful. Deshaun Watson has easily saved OB's job because OB is 28-31 when Watson is not his QB. With Watson that record gets bumped to a winning record of 52-44, making OB look a lot better than he is, meaning he ain't going nowhere.

I will continue to call for OB's head because for 6 years he's been a poor talent evaluator, a poor game manager, has poor game plans, and a poor design of the offense. Hell, they can't even run a RB screen because the o-linemen look lost every time they try.

6 years of an unwillingness to build to his talent's strengths, thus wasting the talent he does have. I don't believe Watson will ever reach his full potential with OB's get your square ass through that round hole philosophy.

And with the way he gave away draft picks this year, like he was going all in, anything short of the AFCCG will be a disaster. This team has got a whole lot of needs going forward, that they just don't have the resources to fill. This entire defense needs an overhaul.

So I'm always going to be on the calling for OB's head bandwagon unless he miraculously changes his ways in the things I mentioned, and I just don't see that happening after watching it for 6 years.

ROO

Tweak the offense already!
I will continue to call for OB's head because for 6 years he's been a poor talent evaluator, a poor game manager, has poor game plans, and a poor design of the offense. Hell, they can't even run a RB screen because the o-linemen look lost every time they try.

6 years of an unwillingness to build to his talent's strengths, thus wasting the talent he does have. I don't believe Watson will ever reach his full potential with OB's get your square ass through that round hole philosophy.

And with the way he gave away draft picks this year, like he was going all in, anything short of the AFCCG will be a disaster. This team has got a whole lot of needs going forward, that they just don't have the resources to fill. This entire defense needs an overhaul.

So I'm always going to be on the calling for OB's head bandwagon unless he miraculously changes his ways in the things I mentioned, and I just don't see that happening after watching it for 6 years.
This is pretty much the way I feel. Good post.

For me, it isn't so much about "getting to the promised land," it is more about fielding a competitive team week in and week out, it is about good coaching decisions, and the design and playcalling of the offense.

The offensive design needs a big overhaul. It is a shame that the Texans are wasting the careers of some damn good players.

Number19

Hall of Fame
We have a sucessful, winning organization. Turnstile philosophy rarely produces desired results.

So long as you have the desired system in place, with coaching in place to implement the system, then the goal is to make tweaks to address shortcomings.

Stability is the key to having a sucessful organization.

I have no problems with the job OB has done. If we have several years of successive below 500 record then change needs to be considered at that point.

ROO

Tweak the offense already!
We have a sucessful, winning organization. Turnstile philosophy rarely produces desired results.

So long as you have the desired system in place, with coaching in place to implement the system, then the goal is to make tweaks to address shortcomings.

Stability is the key to having a sucessful organization.

I have no problems with the job OB has done. If we have several years of successive below 500 record then change needs to be considered at that point.
Problem is, the system leaves much to be desired...

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
1. Come out and kick ass tomorrow and the offense not have the deer in the headlights look.
2. Be competitive if we face the Ravens again next week and not get skull fucked like we did the first game.
#s One & two is all that I really require and I'd be able to support him awhile longer and go into the offseason in a reasonably good frame of mind about the team.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Problem is, the system leaves much to be desired...
Bum Phillips' Oilers went toe to toe with the Pittsburgh Steelers for three consecutive years. Was firing Bum the right decision? Would you have fired him?

Bill Belichick is debatably the best coach in history. Yet he went 36-45 his first 5 years. ( This compares with Bill O'Brien's record of 42-38 ) Would you have fired Bill Belichick?

In 2000 Belichick began coaching New England. This was also Tom Brady's rookie season. The next three seasons NE went 5-11, 11-5 & 9-7. ( this compares to Deshaun Waton's / Bill O'Brien's record of 4-12, 11-5 & 10-6 ).

Would you have fired Belichick after the 2002 season?

bigmck

Rookie
Bum Phillips' Oilers went toe to toe with the Pittsburgh Steelers for three consecutive years. Was firing Bum the right decision? Would you have fired him?

Bill Belichick is debatably the best coach in history. Yet he went 36-45 his first 5 years. ( This compares with Bill O'Brien's record of 42-38 ) Would you have fired Bill Belichick?

In 2000 Belichick began coaching New England. This was also Tom Brady's rookie season. The next three seasons NE went 5-11, 11-5 & 9-7. ( this compares to Deshaun Waton's / Bill O'Brien's record of 4-12, 11-5 & 10-6 ).

WOW....Well thought out post with facts. Very interesting also..........

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I'm sure there are lots of good reasons that make it seem keeping OB is a good idea. A friend of mine thinks OB is the best thing ever to happen to the Texans. You can stir and bend this anyway you want I suppose, and Number19 does have a point. Winning a division four of five years is not something most teams are capable of.

I don't care. I feel like a Sith lord or something, let the hate flow. :lol:

bigmck

Rookie
I'm sure there are lots of good reasons that make it seem keeping OB is a good idea. A friend of mine thinks OB is the best thing ever to happen to the Texans. You can stir and bend this anyway you want I suppose, and Number19 does have a point. Winning a division four of five years is not something most teams are capable of.

I don't care. I feel like a Sith lord or something, let the hate flow. :lol:
In one of my recent posts, I said we needed a Hate Icon. Admin, where are you. :)

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Different situation.

That was Belichick's 2nd stint as HC. After a 4 year turnaround in Cleveland.

We're looking at 6 years of 1 step forward, two steps back.

If the offense would start rolling I think a lot of angst about O'Brien would go away. He leaves the defense to RAC. Offense should be clicking

Big Lou

Hall of Fame

I very much believe in stability versus a round robin of coaches. However I’m guessing with BB there were steady improvements in his coaching and output. Bob plateaued after like year 2-3.

Comparing records doesn’t tell the entire story in my opinion. There are lots of sophomore coaches that have winning records, doesn’t mean they will be BB 2.0.

bigmck

Rookie
Different situation.

That was Belichick's 2nd stint as HC. After a 4 year turnaround in Cleveland.

We're looking at 6 years of 1 step forward, two steps back.

If the offense would start rolling I think a lot of angst about O'Brien would go away. He leaves the defense to RAC. Offense should be clicking
It is not Apples and Oranges. A little bit different maybe, but VERY Similar. == I am not Gung Ho on BOB, but we could certainly do worse. I am not ready to force him out, but if we could get a successful big time college (Urban Meyer) or long time pro coordinator, I would gladly have him replace BOB.