Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What one Texans player--

badboy

Hall of Fame
Here's criteria: all other players perform as they have so far

What one Texans player elevating his game brings a win versus Dallas?

I argued with myself Mercilus or McKinney as both have been disappointing to me the former more than the latter. Having said that looking at my criteria I am going with McKinney. I think we need to shut down Elliott and the running game and B.M. needs to double his tackles per game avg of 3.5 solo. This is a ridiculously low amount for his position at the Mike. A total of 25 tackles in four games makes me disappointed Cole is out. His snap counts increased some last Sunday but his total tackle count was only 5 all solo.

B.M. needs to have a Clowney vs Colts awakening or RAC should sit his butt. Shut down the run and force Prescott to beat you.

Your guy?

I’m torn between Reid and Duke Ejiofor. One of the two have the potential to take over the game and get us this win, as we know O’Brien is clueless on the offensive side of the ball. The D shall get us the win!

I'd be interested in Ejiofor replacing Mercilus if that productivity doesn't improve quickly. Watt, Clowney and Eji is a lot of speed.

Mercilus is playing a lot more base outside linebacker instead of edge rusher, Ejiofor would run into the same problem - Watt and Clowney are already outside. We sometimes want to put someone outside of Watt but it's wasted because he tends to rush wide, removing the ability to do anything but stunt around him. I would prefer our nickel package being Watt and Clowney at the DT position with Mercilus and Ejiofor on the ends.

Has to be a corner.

Yeah , they have been atrocious so far. Position group was weak coming into the season and has gotten progressively worse …. we have to hope the trend doesn't continue because if the trend continues the whole 16 game season …. or Wentz is gonna have a record setting performance in week 17 (they play the Jag's and Bortles in week 18).

I will go with the entire secondary. They have been horrible man, oh wee. If Dak pass for over 300+ and 2+ Touchdowns. The entire secondary coach needs to fired.

I'm looking for the secondary to play adequate and picking Dak off twice.

I will go with the entire secondary. They have been horrible man, oh wee. If Dak pass for over 300+ and 2+ Touchdowns. The entire secondary coach needs to fired.

I'm looking for the secondary to play adequate and picking Dak off twice.

I don't know how much I'd blame the secondary coaches , they don't have a whole lot of talent to work with …. Have to question Gaine going into the season so thin at the position.

I don't recall who was available via free agency and the draft wasn't much help minus its top two picks …. that whole offseason was a disaster.

Let's not sidetrack guys...my topic was one player and why. We already know weaknesses of secondary and offensive line but I'm asking you to be a bit more into it than that. For example, someone said Hop..okay how much and why would he bring us a win? He's had 30 receptions at avg of almost 15 but only two TDs. Is that enough for a #1 WR with a $14 million cap hit? If we are going to criticize Clowney shouldn't we expect more from the 'Nuk especially with Watson at QB? Fuller in a game less and about half of the targets and receptions has three TDs. If 'Nuk can turn receptions into three TDs tonight and (as my thread said) all others do as they have would that result in a W?

Let's not sidetrack guys...my topic was one player and why. We already know weaknesses of secondary and offensive line but I'm asking you to be a bit more into it than that. For example, someone said Hop..okay how much and why would he bring us a win? He's had 30 receptions at avg of almost 15 but only two TDs. Is that enough for a #1 WR with a $14 million cap hit? If we are going to criticize Clowney shouldn't we expect more from the 'Nuk especially with Watson at QB? Fuller in a game less and about half of the targets and receptions has three TDs. If 'Nuk can turn receptions into three TDs tonight and (as my thread said) all others do as they have would that result in a W?

As much as they deny it QBs have favorites. So do coaches. Kubiak constantly called for TE TDs when AJ was open. Loved that pass on the 2 yard line and fall in while AJ drug the DBs to the back of the endzone. Hopkins is a safety valve to Watson.

As much as they deny it QBs have favorites. So do coaches. Kubiak constantly called for TE TDs when AJ was open. Hopkins is a safety valve to Watson.
Yes of course but last season Fuller was the TD guy again and talk was of how he and Watson had a great connection. I'm not knocking either as both are very good but if #4 does not recognize Hopkins skills and use that for points QB coach should whisper into Watson helmet hole.

Good point on TEs and not necessarily where I was going with thread but Jordin Akins had two TDs in one preseason game and now has only 8 targets (7 catches) in four games? If he could be "the one guy" I could see him bringing a W.

Yes of course but last season Fuller was the TD guy again and talk was of how he and Watson had a great connection. I'm not knocking either as both are very good but if #4 does not recognize Hopkins skills and use that for points QB coach should whisper into Watson helmet hole.

Good point on TEs and not necessarily where I was going with thread but Jordin Akins had two TDs in one preseason game and now has only 8 targets (7 catches) in four games? If he could be "the one guy" I could see him bringing a W.
Follow up to bold, Mahomes is effectively using TE Kelce to whomp on Jags. Hope someone on Texans reviews the KC game today. 4th Q 30-7

I was calling the entire secondary as a whole mean 1 unit/player. We need them to play as one is my point. They do that and we will win.

I was calling the entire secondary as a whole mean 1 unit/player. We need them to play as one is my point. They do that and we will win.
How do you see secondary? KJ going to CB to play opposite Joseph with Wright and maybe Webster getting snaps? I'm thinking new comer Natrell Jamerson not only get some time at safety (and going out on limb) he will have a significant presence.

Watson.
So far, he has has not performed as well as last season.
Sure, teams have more tape on him now but he definitely has lost a bit of his early mojo.
He is the spark - he was during that 7 game streak and needs to be once again.

How do you see secondary? KJ going to CB to play opposite Joseph with Wright and maybe Webster getting snaps? I'm thinking new comer Natrell Jamerson not only get some time at safety (and going out on limb) he will have a significant presence.

Jackson has no other choice but to go back to corner now. I agree with the rest due to the injury of Colvin. Personally I would move Joseph to safety and see if Webster could hold down that side for a minute.

Crennel also need to put them in press coverage more. That BS 10 yard cushion is killing us.

It’s hard to pick a non Watt or Clowney being the difference maker in this game. Those 2 guys are the only players on defense really showing up. And this is legitimately the second year in a row we’ve seen mediocrity on this early round stacked defense.

So I’m picking 2 players on offense that could make a big impact tonight - Miller and Blue. O’Brien instinctively wants a ground and pound power offense and the Texans o-linemen are built for that work. Watson can’t continue to be tossed around the field like he has been early this season.

I don't know how much I'd blame the secondary coaches , they don't have a whole lot of talent to work with …. Have to question Gaine going into the season so thin at the position.

I don't recall who was available via free agency and the draft wasn't much help minus its top two picks …. that whole offseason was a disaster.
Gaine didn't have a lot of options this past offseason. I'm not blaming him.

It’s hard to pick a non Watt or Clowney being the difference maker in this game. Those 2 guys are the only players on defense really showing up. And this is legitimately the second year in a row we’ve seen mediocrity on this early round stacked defense.

So I’m picking 2 players on offense that could make a big impact tonight - Miller and Blue. O’Brien instinctively wants a ground and pound power offense and the Texans o-linemen are built for that work. Watson can’t continue to be tossed around the field like he has been early this season.
Blue doing good. Why not more passes to him? He had a 16 yarder.

Last edited:
Gaine didn't have a lot of options this past offseason. I'm not blaming him.

I recall the OL group being rather thin after Solder and I forget one other prominent name - there just wasn't much quality (and Solder wasn't really all that IMO).
I didn't remember what the FA CB group looked like …. but we all knew going in that they could use some talent at the position. Missing those top two picks really hurt.

They'd be in real hot water without KJax and Mathieu.

Watson.
So far, he has has not performed as well as last season.
Sure, teams have more tape on him now but he definitely has lost a bit of his early mojo.
He is the spark - he was during that 7 game streak and needs to be once again.

It would help if Houston had a real o.c.

Yeah but what has it done lately.

Well according to PatdStat from what he sees so far it has been Obrien moving on to the next part of Watsons progression as a pro QB. He thinks Watson regardless of stats is a much improved QB, if you follow him on Twitter he has a lot of good recap from each game, and whether you agree with his opinions or not he at least shows and explains why he thinks how he thinks. Worth the follow.

For what it's worth PFF corroborates what Pat says, as they have him graded much higher this year as well.

Watson needs to protect himself better (needless hits including one that caused the stethoscope to appear).
Improve red zone touchdowns.
Scampering eventually leads to more 'uh ohs' than 'ho ho'. If no one open after 4-5 seconds toss it OOB!

I was saying earlier that there is more tape on him now so he is gonna have to figure out how to beat these defensive schemes.
If he can figure out a better short game it will make a big difference.
He has Coutee now as well as Nuk and Fuller and perhaps Miller back on deck will make a difference too.
Griffin has taken a couple of passes lately so perhaps these factors may give him a better outlet for a more effective short game.

I was saying earlier that there is more tape on him now so he is gonna have to figure out how to beat these defensive schemes.
He has Coutee now as well as Nuk and Fuller and perhaps Miller back on deck will make a difference too.
Griffin has taken a couple of passes lately so perhaps these factors may give him more confidence and a better outlet for a more effective short game.
He is still pretty raw so time under center may be the best medicine.

Against Dallas and the Colts Watson used the short game extremely well Texansphan. He was very efficient and effective in both of those games. So he has the short game down.

What we need work on is the redzone.

Watson needs to protect himself better (needless hits including one that caused the stethoscope to appear).
Improve red zone touchdowns.
Scampering eventually leads to more 'uh ohs' than 'ho ho'. If no one open after 4-5 seconds toss it OOB!
I'd like to see how he acts when we're up a couple of scores. When he's playing from behind, or a TD wins the game, I can't imagine wanting him doing any less than he has... especially when we're 0-3 or 1-3

A winner is going to do everything he possibly can to win. That's something we've seen very little of in Houston, especially at the QB position.

I'd like to see how he acts when we're up a couple of scores. When he's playing from behind, or a TD wins the game, I can't imagine wanting him doing any less than he has... especially when we're 0-3 or 1-3

A winner is going to do everything he possibly can to win. That's something we've seen very little of in Houston, especially at the QB position.
Winner or not I don't want him scampering behind LOS for up to a minute losing ground, inviting holding penalties by his teammates and offering himself up like a pagan sacrifice and/or launching an alley oop to the defense for a possible pick six. Being an NFL QB is knowing what to do with the ball and when to do it. A leader uses his team but should never set himself up for "clobbering time by the Thing". I too want to see #4 with a lead. I think he will be surgical cutting up defense. I want a metal to the pedal offense for four Qs.

Last week I went with McKinney who did have 8 tackles but only 1/2 sack still Dallas run game was not near what it has been; argue Texans D or Elliott's health. Tomorrow I'm going with RB Lamar Miller; if healthy, he needs a season best game as he has pretty much been quicksand other than PATS. You know -- sucking. While Blue's run game was same as Miller's usual, Alfred caught 9 for 77 yards and seemed to pump up crowd. Miller can catch and Watson may need to dump a few more to avoid Bill's carnivores. It's MIller Time!

Griffin has taken a couple of passes lately so perhaps these factors may give him a better outlet for a more effective short game.
I think new coach is in order

I think new coach is in order
Perhaps this could be a high flying offense that we glimpsed early last season if we had a decent line.
And yes you could lay a lot of the blame for that on him.
Maybe all we need is a new line coach.
Greg Mancz in his rookie season was ranked 9th among all centers iirc - so to me removing him from that position was just dumb. Find Martin another spot. He isn't too bad at RT.

Last week I went with McKinney who did have 8 tackles but only 1/2 sack still Dallas run game was not near what it has been; argue Texans D or Elliott's health. Tomorrow I'm going with RB Lamar Miller; if healthy, he needs a season best game as he has pretty much been quicksand other than PATS. You know -- sucking. While Blue's run game was same as Miller's usual, Alfred caught 9 for 77 yards and seemed to pump up crowd. Miller can catch and Watson may need to dump a few more to avoid Bill's carnivores. It's MIller Time!
While I was correct Miller had best game long time took a while to get 100 yards. Going with him again today as we need give defense some rest so they can feast.

Last edited:
Still difficult for me to get behind Miller's new found play as he has under performed since signed. I blame coaching for some of that but Miller needs to act like he could be cut any play.

Still difficult for me to get behind Miller's new found play as he has under performed since signed. I blame coaching for some of that but Miller needs to act like he could be cut any play.

Miller played like he did the first three games of the season. Biggest difference was that he was playing the Dolphins.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it. Because they are the Dolphins our struggling OL got to experience success in what they're hopefully being taught to do. Against someone who is actually trying to stop them.

Hopefully they build on what they're doing against a Denver team that is struggling to stop the run as much as Miami.

Last edited:
Miller played like he did the first three games of the season. Biggest difference was that he was playing the Dolphins.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it. Because they are the Dolphins our struggling OL got to experience success in what they're hopefully being taught to do. Against someone who is actually trying to stop them.

Hopefully they build on what they're doing against a Denver team that is struggling to stop the run as much as Miami.
While true Blue played against Dolphins also.

To piggy-back of of TK's post, I'd like to see the Lamar Miller we saw against the Dolphins for the rest of the year. And maybe even step his game up from there (remember he didn't catch a single pass that game).

When the running game can get chunks of yds, then the D has to respect it. That makes everything else work much more gooder.

Last two games I've gone with Lamar Miller who did have good games and we won so I hesitate to not pick him again; however my Spidey instincts are going with one of the two Jordans at TE having two touchdowns or with Joseph despite the leg/ankle/whatever I think it is a good possibility he could have at least one INT TD and another ending in field goal= 10-14 points attributed to Joseph. Denver may decide to test him to hopefully their chagrin.

Washington could be a springboard game for rest of season with a sound win and not just a "glad to leave stadium without an L". Again hoping to see some vets with less action and others building time together without injuries. I watched more NFL Texans opponent games this week than ever before. Surprised that Tenn whomped Patriots but that could be good for us down road and Colts winning vs Jags could be huge.

I am going with Demaryius Thomas tonight. He should get several targets unlike only one like last week.

I called it with Thomas but of interest to me was where was the game plan for him last week with one miss on the only target he had? Was this result of bipolar Bill? I look forward to seeing if Thomas can continue to make a statement to pay him his entire $14 million 2019; he is well on way to earning the $4.5 Texans are responsible for this season. Great pick up so far.

Back