Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What is the best way to protest YOUR team?

BigBen

Practice Squad
If I boycott going the games you could say I am not a fan. I have been down on the franchise for a while now but I won't stop watching games. The only thing I can do is not buy tickets or buy merch. I feel torn in wanting to express serious displeasure but still love my team. Some people say don't watch or anything else to do with the team. I remember people did that when the Oilers left. I was a huge Oiler fan and I was bitter also but I still watched the games. So how do you protest YOUR team when you see a total trainwreck happening in front of your eyes. I hope it works out but..I truly do. I would be the first person to jump up and down and say I was wrong. I don't think I am though...

The NFL is not so important to me to protest it in any way other than complain about it in here. I wouldn't spend any money on professional sports of any kind anyway, other than buying a few hats now an then. And I will continue to vote against bond issues supporting professional sports stadiums if they ever show up again. I've voted against all of them. LOL

Best way is to stop anything involving that team.

Who cares what others say.

I love my Texans, have since before they had a name. If people don't believe that... I couldn't care less.

Now, I'm a fan but their incompetence has caused me to be more than I pessimistic, though to see my team be a legitimate threat/contender is preferable... I WILL get entertainment from them.

Whether it be by good game play or mockery when they cant find their but if you spotted them 9 fingers... it's either kill time with laughter... or drown in the tears of hopeless fandom.

I will always prefer to deal with pain through laughter than blubbering.

If you want to protest, find something better to do on game day.

For the past few seasons I've actually been okay with working on game day.

If that makes me a "bad fan"... oh well. I've been called worse.

If I boycott going the games you could say I am not a fan. I have been down on the franchise for a while now but I won't stop watching games. The only thing I can do is not buy tickets or buy merch. I feel torn in wanting to express serious displeasure but still love my team. Some people say don't watch or anything else to do with the team. I remember people did that when the Oilers left. I was a huge Oiler fan and I was bitter also but I still watched the games. So how do you protest YOUR team when you see a total trainwreck happening in front of your eyes. I hope it works out but..I truly do. I would be the first person to jump up and down and say I was wrong. I don't think I am though...
We live in the social media going viral age. Get creative.

The NFL is not so important to me to protest it in any way other than complain about it in here. I wouldn't spend any money on professional sports of any kind anyway, other than buying a few hats now an then. And I will continue to vote against bond issues supporting professional sports stadiums if they ever show up again. I've voted against all of them. LOL

Excellent post.

I would add don’t get emotionally caught up in the team or spend a lot of energy on it.

Always remember that it's just entertainment.

Win or lose, we just watch.

I don't go out and protest stuff that might matter, so I'm certainly not going to do it over entertainment.

There is nothing we can do to change the outcome of a football team's operations any more than we can talk Disney into stop dry-humping the Star Wars franchise. So kick back and enjoy it as the diversion from real life that it's meant to be. . .or not.

Always remember that it's just entertainment.

Win or lose, we just watch.

I don't go out and protest stuff that might matter, so I'm certainly not going to do it over entertainment.

There is nothing we can do to change the outcome of a football team's operations any more than we can talk Disney into stop dry-humping the Star Wars franchise. So kick back and enjoy it as the diversion from real life that it's meant to be. . .or not.

nice avatar :)

Wow, here's a question I can ABSOLUTELY relate to !!!

The Bengals had to live through the 90's and nothing happened no matter what the outcome.
Just more miserable play, poor coaching decisions, poor player decision and a bunch of suck.

Fast forward to Marvin Lewis. While he is still loved for bringing the Bengals out of the 90's and making them mostly enjoyable to watch again, he just couldn't win a playoff game to save his life (Thanks Texans) and people grew tired. No one actively protested the front office or anything else, people simply stopped going to games and buying merchandise. Sure they would follow on TV, but that was it.

While the league is set up and sharing revenue, if one of the teams isn't pulling in what should be expected, the league is well aware. They still lose money. Season ticket sales plummeted, single game ticket sales dropped and all of that equals no one buying things in the store, reduced concession sales, parking, and even local businesses suffering from lack of people in and around the stadium. That caused a ripple effect and the team got it from all ends. Believe it or not, most feel that is what directly contributed to Marvin's firing and the hiring of a new coach.

When the team announced the firing of Marvin Lewis during a news conference, they said "We heard you fans and are making a move". Yeah, they heard the fans.... in their ability to bring money in. That's the only way to impact any type of change. Whoever said don't vote to give taxpayer dollars to billionaires is another. We made that mistake once (not me) and it won't be repeated. Honestly, I didn't even watch on Sundays either for a few seasons. I would watch the recap the next day and keep it moving. My lawn never looked so good.

What do you think it should say?

I've thought about that, but I don't think the McNairs care what the working people think. . .other than how it might impact their bottom line.

And the McNairs are not really special in that regard. I figure many, if not most, owners are the exact same way.

They had a fan so passionate that he had signs made to show the owner's box in an empty stadium, and the McNairs' response? Kick him out of the stadium and don't let him back in. lol

They.Don't.Care

So beyond rooting for the laundry and logo, why should we really care? idonno:

Depends... what exactly are you hoping to accomplish from the boycott?
  • Change of ownership? Save yourself some time, a boycott or protest of any kind won't change that. If anything, McNairs would probably look to move the franchise before selling.
  • Better performance out of ownership & the FO? Once again, save yourself some time, because (believe it or not) they're actually trying to build a winning team. A protest/boycott won't help them do any better.
  • Price reduction in beer at NRG? Now we're onto something feasible. If enough people stop going to games, and/or stop buying beer at the stadium, we could start to see those beer prices drop a bit. Winning!

Depends... what exactly are you hoping to accomplish from the boycott?
  • Change of ownership? Save yourself some time, a boycott or protest of any kind won't change that. If anything, McNairs would probably look to move the franchise before selling.
  • Better performance out of ownership & the FO? Once again, save yourself some time, because (believe it or not) they're actually trying to build a winning team. A protest/boycott won't help them do any better.
  • Price reduction in beer at NRG? Now we're onto something feasible. If enough people stop going to games, and/or stop buying beer at the stadium, we could start to see those beer prices drop a bit. Winning!

The last thing has already happened.

15% reduction on season tickets and I believe something like $300-400 dollar card to spend on food/drinks/merchandise.

Bob McNair rolls around in his grave.

I dont watch any games live. I don't know how they measure Neilson ratings off game pass. I'm on the board and if the game is decent, I watch on game pass at 11pm at night. My next move is another squad just like I stopped being a consumer of Oilers/Titans

I could be wrong but I think any view streamed or DVR or anything short of old VHS recording goes down as a watch in total but never much followed that stuff.

Back