Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What If Cal McNair Wants Crennell Dumped?

txtx

Waterboy
Would O'Brien do something that despicable to a defensive coordinator who basically held the team up for 3 years while O'Brien struggled to learn the basics of how to be a head coach? Crennell is the man most responsible for their win in Oakland and many other wins where the team punted in the last few minutes and let the defense close it out.

Could O'Brien actual be the good, ethical person he wants his players to be and threaten to resign instead of letting Romeo go? Or would he go along with creating yet another scapegoat out of him?

Reactions: ROO

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Over the years, HCs have quit over a GM or owner insisting they fire certain coaches on the team.

Here’s hoping if Cal tells O’Brien to fire Crennel or even Devlin, that O’Brien would be as loyal as he is stubborn and resign in protest.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Yeah hate to break it to you but as much as OB needs to go RAC does to. His defense has cost us some major games over the years and they weren’t exactly shining this year and no it wasn’t just lack of talent.

Let’s not forget it was RAC and his defense that put us 14 in the hole last year before fans even finished their first beer and he had all kinds of talent including Watt, Clowney and badger.

After that last game not sure why anyone would want to keep any of the coaches, except maybe the ST coach, and even a lot of players need hard looks.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
How do we know that Cal McNair is even around? Has he said anything? Has anyone even seen him?
As a non-Houston resident, I was wondering about this. Papa at least made some statements here and there at specific times. I don't see/hear even that much from Cal. He doesn't need to turn into Jerry Jones with a weekly show and a microphone fetish, but seemingly non-existent is too much the other way

Let's go Texans

Practice Squad
Cal won't even have the stones to do that without asking BOB first, and that will be a quick "no". BOB runs the show. He has too much power now and it's gonna be a long time before he's gone. RAC will be here until he's done with football completely and we'll continue to see DBs lining up 10 yards off the WRs on 3rd and 2 and keep seeing nobody be held accountable because "that was the right call in that situation". Its not gonna change.

whodknee

Working Class Hero
I think Bob has too much on his plate. He was just talking about meeting with several people. We need a GM for all of that.
I think Cal will make some changes

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Off-season already gonna be a mess without a GM

But to answer your question I think O'Brien would fire crennel to save his job. Its not like some other team will give him a shot.

Chance crennel retires too.

mussop

Hall of Fame
Would O'Brien do something that despicable to a defensive coordinator who basically held the team up for 3 years while O'Brien struggled to learn the basics of how to be a head coach? Crennell is the man most responsible for their win in Oakland and many other wins where the team punted in the last few minutes and let the defense close it out.

Could O'Brien actual be the good, ethical person he wants his players to be and threaten to resign instead of letting Romeo go? Or would he go along with creating yet another scapegoat out of him?
The question should be, what if McNair doesn’t want to dump RAC?

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I'm hoping the Indian burial ground they built the Astrodome on rises up and sharknados him.

Also, I find it disturbing my spell checker didn't flag sharknados. I mean, seriously, if the syfy channel can just create words in our language that even spell checkers know about, that's a much deeper problem than OB.
It's not about sharknados or the syfy channel. It's about the A.I. takeover. You just noticed the first sign.

This moment, and you Thorn, will forever be remembered in the ANALS of history.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Billy would throw RAC under the bus, but he may not get the chance. Let's hope Cal has the sense to do what Crane should not have done when he canned Luhnow.

badboy

Hall of Fame

If Cal fires Cornell he got at least half of the problem fixed. Despicable? Giving up 41 straight points Has to do a little bit at least with your defensive coordinator. How do you not see that? It no longer matters to me what anyone did years ago even if it was three years in a row as you indicate. Crennel got paid for those years

Grams

Veteran
I think Bob has too much on his plate. He was just talking about meeting with several people. We need a GM for all of that.
I think Cal will make some changes
I think you are delusional if you think Cal is going to make changes. Unless someone is holding him hostage till he hires a GM with hiring and firing privileges, we are screwed. OB has too much power now. He should have been fired immediately after the game.

RGV82

Random guy
If I were forced to bet, I would say BOB will be back for another season. He is going to need a scapegoat to buy him more time, and Crennel will probably be it. Unfortunately.

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
Cal is not like his father. He is very uncomfortable in front of a microphone as a public speaker.
OK, I’ll buy that. But I have to question if that makes it likely he’s just as uncomfortable in making any type of decision. Or, if he’s afraid that any decision he makes would force him to the microphone.

Just wondering that out loud in case someone wants to bat it around.

zshawn10

All Pro
John McClain on SR610 says that he thinks that Romeo Crennel will most likely retire. Additionally, when asked who he thinks might replace him, he put forth our current d-line coach, Anthony Weaver. To be clear, this was his personal opinion, not based on anything specific that he’s heard lately.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
if Cal fires Crennell and doesn't fire O'Brien it shows he's gutless.
Everything I've already read about him presents him as gutless. He's making money hand over fist. He's not going to rock the boat.

Besides, there is absolutely nothing in his background to suggest that he'd have even the slightest clue about finding a quality GM and HC.

This is the kind of horse crap he spews: "It's a flatter organization with a faster management style. The organization is totally re-energized with a team-based approach and new leadership based on sub programs with each sub program being fully optimized as a goal."

He doesn't know how to think for himself. He read that crap from a note card.

txtx

Waterboy
Over the years, HCs have quit over a GM or owner insisting they fire certain coaches on the team.

Here’s hoping if Cal tells O’Brien to fire Crennel or even Devlin, that O’Brien would be as loyal as he is stubborn and resign in protest.
This is the fantasy situation I hope for. Maybe Crennell deserves to be in the firing line, based on the unit's performance even with draft picks (Cunningham, McKinney, Reid and Reader) who are now well integrated. And based on the poor tackling all season long. I don't remember tackling this bad since the year before Wade Phillips arrived.

txtx

Waterboy
Yeah hate to break it to you but as much as OB needs to go RAC does to. His defense has cost us some major games over the years and they weren’t exactly shining this year and no it wasn’t just lack of talent.

Let’s not forget it was RAC and his defense that put us 14 in the hole last year before fans even finished their first beer and he had all kinds of talent including Watt, Clowney and badger.

After that last game not sure why anyone would want to keep any of the coaches, except maybe the ST coach, and even a lot of players need hard looks.
Yeah, I guess I just like the guy. J. Reid, Reader, Cunningham, McKinney are all well integrated by now.

txtx

Waterboy
Off-season already gonna be a mess without a GM

But to answer your question I think O'Brien would fire crennel to save his job. Its not like some other team will give him a shot.

Chance crennel retires too.
I think it would go down like that: Crennell retires, but it's really a forced resignation. Maybe he'd then go to Jacksonville.

txtx

Waterboy
Everything I've already read about him presents him as gutless. He's making money hand over fist. He's not going to rock the boat.

Besides, there is absolutely nothing in his background to suggest that he'd have even the slightest clue about finding a quality GM and HC.

This is the kind of horse crap he spews: "It's a flatter organization with a faster management style. The organization is totally re-energized with a team-based approach and new leadership based on sub programs with each sub program being fully optimized as a goal."

Can JANICE McNair step in and force changes?

chicagotexan2

Easterby = Little Finger/Cal = Fredo Corleone

This just crushed my fandom soul. That is the most milk toast, soft mealy mouth BS ever. I guess I forgot Cal is BFFs with Rick Smith and that mediocre GM had a long shelf life too.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
OB has too much power now. He should have been fired immediately after the game.
Which game are you talking about?

1. The 2015 home playoff shutout where BO'b stubbornly played & stuck with the guy who proved to be the inferior QB through 16 regular season games?
  2. The 2018 home drubbing he took proving division titles don't mean you're the best team in the division?
  3. The 2019 home skull dragging he took that made the '93 Oilers loss look like a highly competitive game?
Regardless, I agree with you.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
John McClain on SR610 says that he thinks that Romeo Crennel will most likely retire. Additionally, when asked who he thinks might replace him, he put forth our current d-line coach, Anthony Weaver. To be clear, this was his personal opinion, not based on anything specific that he’s heard lately.
Figures he would promote someone unworthy of the promotion. Par for the course