Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

What I Heard This Morning On the Radio

my point still stands, It was covered by abc13 and fox 26 houston.

It was on television. That's how i heard about it first. It wasnt just relegated to some obscure corner of the internet that you claimed.

I know it's true, oh so true, 'Cause I saw it on TV ~ John Fogerty :bguitar:

Your words = "obscure corner of the internet"

I never said that. Your hyperbole has risen to shrieking levels, even when I agree with some of your overall points.

If your quarterback is matt schaub and peyton manning becomes available,

You ask for a meeting. Take stab at it. At least ask for a meeting. Give yourself a chance.

I agree completely. Kick the tires and talk. No harm, no foul if nothing works out.

Whats' with this team and fanbase being so against taking a chance?

What's with some of this fanbase holding the delusion that they get to have any say in it?

And this franchise takes chances. What do you think Ed Reed was about? Just because it ended up being a bad decision in hindsight doesn't mean it wasn't taking a chance.

Dutch - I think you are leaving a lot of context out of making it seem so obvious to sign Manning. Dude was not even cleared to practice. He was rehabbing all the way up to and into the 2012 season. There was more than a little risk.

I never said it was sooooo obvious that we should sign him. I said 1) that it absolutely was feasible to give him a competitive offer, and 2) that if you can get a HOF/GOAT QB, that he's more important than a great RB.

That is assuming he passed a medical evaluation and isn't trying to pull an Ed Reed. Of course there was considerable risk involved, if there wasn't any, Peyton would have been traded instead of cut. Peyton even gave the Broncos several outs for injury/performance in year 1 and year 3. There was zero guaranteed money in his deal, but instead his salaries become guaranteed if he's on the active roster to begin the seasons. If he was willing to make those kinds of concessions for the Texans, then I think the risk is quite limited.

For the Texans though, the biggest risk is that you would be giving away Schaub in the process, who at the time wasn't nearly as bad as he is now. Taking away a moderately healthy QB with a long injury history and replacing him with a possibly unhealthy QB could be a huge disaster too. However, I think in 2012 you could have traded Schaub and his 1 year, 10m dollar deal for at least a 4th and picked up a decent QB in the draft to backup Manning.

In any case, the only unacceptable reasons I can see for not getting Peyton are, "We promised Foster a lot of money" and Kubiak not wanting to work with him. If it truly was injury concern, then sure, you don't sign the guy and give away capable starters. However, it sounds to me like he wasn't really evaluated by our team.

I know it's true, oh so true, 'Cause I saw it on TV ~ John Fogerty :bguitar:

Your words = "obscure corner of the internet"

I never said that. Your hyperbole has risen to shrieking levels, even when I agree with some of your overall points.

I never said it was true. All i said was ive heard it on television and that it was not relegated to forums and message boards like you claimed.

Your reading comprehension is dropping to schaubesque levels.

What's with some of this fanbase holding the delusion that they get to have any say in it?

And this franchise takes chances. What do you think Ed Reed was about? Just because it ended up being a bad decision in hindsight doesn't mean it wasn't taking a chance.

who says and is deluded enough to think they have say? we are all just kicking tires here and talking. That's what message boards are for.

and your answer to taking chances is ed reed?

:lol:

im done. not gonna argue with a mod. I already know where that is going to land me.

peace.

His original contract was for 2 years; they tendered him in his third year, with "a promise to take care of him".

Remember that he was an UDFA, the Texans would have gotten nothing for him in 2011 if he decided to field offers from the rest of the NFL.

He chose to take the minimum salary in 2011; I'm sure that there was a hand-shake deal in the work for 2012.

Nobody will leave a load of money on the table.

Him being a UDFA has nothing to do with it. If you have two years of NFL experience, you are an Exclusive Rights Free Agent with whatever team you were signed with last holding those rights.

Arian literally had two options after his second season. Either sign for what the Texans offered him, or sit out of football for a year. He had absolutely zero right to field offers from another NFL team once that ERFA offer was tendered.

I remember a lot of people here wanting no part of manning because of uncertainty, now he paid off and the revisionist history is coming out.

As a "Schaub lover" I was all for manning deal but didn't think the money was doable

I'm not sure I'd say he paid off. So far he has a first round playoff exit, and a pair of bad ankles.

I think the bar for Peyton paying off is set pretty high. He's clearly not reached it yet, and he may or may not reach it at all. They say high ankle sprains don't heal without rest, and I don't see much rest in his future right now.

Bad ankles and either cold weather or a road game (or both) aren't a good combination for him.

Him being a UDFA has nothing to do with it. If you have two years of NFL experience, you are an Exclusive Rights Free Agent with whatever team you were signed with last holding those rights.

Arian literally had two options after his second season. Either sign for what the Texans offered him, or sit out of football for a year. He had absolutely zero right to field offers from another NFL team once that ERFA offer was tendered.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/1/15/3880908/nfl-free-agency-2013-rfa-tender-amounts

At the lowest level of tender, if another team offers Foster a better deal than the $1.something M, which is for sure can and would have happened, the Texans get nothing as compensation since Foster was not drafted.

It is not true that Foster had to sit out if he didn't agree with the tender.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/1/15/3880908/nfl-free-agency-2013-rfa-tender-amounts

At the lowest level of tender, if another team offers Foster a better deal than the $1.something M, which is for sure can and would have happened, the Texans get nothing as compensation since Foster was not drafted.

You are mixing up restricted free agents (multiple tender levels, negotiate with other teams, right to match, compensation) and exclusive rights free agents (one tender level, no negotiations, play for them or don't play).

As my post pointed out, he wasn't a RFA, he was an ERFA. There's a difference, and it's pretty big.

From the Chronicle immediately after the 2010 season (Bolding added for emphasis):

Foster, however, is an exclusive-rights free agent, which essentially means the Texans retain his rights and are not required to reward his blockbuster season. All the organization must do is tender a qualifying minimum offer — if Foster is unhappy with the sum, he could refuse to sign and not report, but he's not free to shop his services to other teams.
LINK

Kubiak wouldn't want Manning here because he'd be a coach killer. Manning is not at all a scripted WCO quarterback. Trying to shoehorn him into that would've produced poor results, and forced Smith into the position of choosing between Kubiak and Manning.

if I remember right that was the same year Matt was coming off his liz frank injury

so I was thinking at the time hell both QB's Matt or peyton would be a risk LOL

Back