Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

What I don't understand

Doom Capers

Waterboy
Our team has the potential to put a hurting on a lot of teams. Carson Palmer can go out and throw for almost 400 yards against the Ravens and beat them. While Carr throws for 150 some which 125 goes to Johnson against the Jets, who are tough but not as much as the Ravens. The other week the Bengals scored 58 points in a game or something. I could never imagine us scoring that many TD's in a game. We are just as talented as the Bengals. There are tons of players and teams that our outplaying us and I can't understand why. We can't use this we have been a team for 3 years b.s. because something is just not clicking.

looking for excuses from fans that have little to actually do with the organization ??? well we could blame the coaches,,,carr,,,,the o-line,,,maybe the defense,,,,even our GM if we really wanna look deep into it. The fact of the matter is we are a 3rd year team and for anyone who was expecting a winning season just set their self up for a let down.

Rome was not built in a day,,,,,,brick by brick

Maybe there is no easy answer...I just think each team has a certain dynamic to it.

I think the Texans are on the cusp on being a very good team. They have some holes to fill and some good offseason moves will help there.

They are first and foremost a running team and when that is not working it's difficult for them. That I blame on O Line work and the RB's being injury prone.

I do agree that David sometime tries to force things but so do most QB's. Favre is notorious for that.

I did hear Peyton Manning say something interesting yesterday after their game. He said that all the work he and his receivers did in the offseason..April, May....they made time to work together and now thru all that work you see the results.

Perhaps David and some of his receivers need to do that if they could work it out. It would be on their own time but it might be just a little something that could help. I know these are family men and maybe some of these guys don't even live here during the offseason but well maybe the extra work and study would just be an extra piece to the puzzle.

We are not as talented as teh Bengals, teh Lions, the Jets, the Cheifs, or just about any other NFL team. Any why? Because we've had three drafts, three years of FA, and na dover the last two and a half seasons had played a bunch of rookies. DO we have some potential NFL stars? YEs (AJ and D-Rob being the best two) Do we have any real depth, at any position?

A question to all of those we thought/think we can beat a playoff team? How many of our starters would start for any of the potential AFC Playoff teams? (NE, Pitt, SD, Indy, NY, Denver, Balt, et al)

TexansTrueFan said:
looking for excuses from fans that have little to actually do with the organization ??? well we could blame the coaches,,,carr,,,,the o-line,,,maybe the defense,,,,even our GM if we really wanna look deep into it. The fact of the matter is we are a 3rd year team and for anyone who was expecting a winning season just set their self up for a let down.

Rome was not built in a day,,,,,,brick by brick

That their only a 3rd year team is weak other teams have turn their teams around in a year the only ones that said its only been three years are we’re still young are teams like the Saints, Cardinals and other badly run teams.

Texas_Heat said:
That their only a 3rd year team is weak other teams have turn their teams around in a year the only ones that said its only been three years are we’re still young are teams like the Saints, Cardinals and other badly run teams.

Being a 3rd year team is completely different than turning around an established team in 1-3 years. An established team has had years of drafts to gain not just starters but quality depth. In addition, the team has made its own contracts with its players rather than taking on a bunch of contracts negotiated by teams that made players available in an expansion draft. Is being in the 3rd year of existence a total get out of jail card--nope, but it is a consideration just like in evaluating a RB you have to look at the OL and vice versa.

Even the stupid announcers said that by looking at the Texans you still get a feel that things are being done right with this team. I think they felt we were short changed alot in this game.

Being a third year team is not a very good excuse. I know it means the team hasnt had the chance to draft depth, get good contracts for veterans, etc. but seriously. Three years is plenty of time to try and get quality veterans. Thats plenty of time to draft three years worth of rookies to add some depth. That is plenty of time for a Franchise QB to develop since he has started the whole time. There are no excuses for Carr making horrible passes, and not checking down on receivers. He should have been doing that in college, and this is his third year in the NFL. Injuries have hurt the defense, especially the line quite a bit, but they are starting to get better, especially Payne. A draft of a DT will add much to their status. I think the defense will be tough next year. Babin will have had time to mature and adjust, Peek should be able to play full time, Sharper will stay the same, and hopefully wong will move inside and allow us to also draft a MLB early in the draft this season to develop. The DBs will be better with Earl and Robinson having playing time. We could get another shutdown corner in the draft to solidify behind Glenn. The Oline will have a season of zone blocking for the running game, maybe a draft pick high if there is a good Olineman available. Adding a running back maybe like Lamont Jordan will give the running game a new dimension. Thats really about four changes that can easily be addressed. While other teams have more talent, this team has some and can add to it very easily this offseason if they make the right moves. I think that more than anything this team is young in terms of maturity and development as a TEAM. They are getting use to playing together. Next season they will be much improved. I def. think they will be in the post season.

TexansTrueFan said:
The fact of the matter is we are a 3rd year team and for anyone who was expecting a winning season just set their self up for a let down.

AMEN BROTHER

WWJD said:
Maybe there is no easy answer...I just think each team has a certain dynamic to it.

I think the Texans are on the cusp on being a very good team. They have some holes to fill and some good offseason moves will help there.

They are first and foremost a running team and when that is not working it's difficult for them. That I blame on O Line work and the RB's being injury prone.

I do agree that David sometime tries to force things but so do most QB's. Favre is notorious for that.

I did hear Peyton Manning say something interesting yesterday after their game. He said that all the work he and his receivers did in the offseason..April, May....they made time to work together and now thru all that work you see the results.

Perhaps David and some of his receivers need to do that if they could work it out. It would be on their own time but it might be just a little something that could help. I know these are family men and maybe some of these guys don't even live here during the offseason but well maybe the extra work and study would just be an extra piece to the puzzle.
I like the idea of Carr and the receivers working in the offseason. Sure they are family men, but we aren't talking about 7 days a week, 12 hours a day...we are talking a few hours/day about 3-4 days a week, with family get-togethers, where they share ideas, silent signals, etc...

A team with the talent that the T's have needs to get it together mentally...sometimes that reflects on the coaching, but I think that the O-line needs to really band together as well. A few years ago, everywhere Manning went, the O-line led him. Bathroom, speaking engagements, autograph signings, etc...they protected him everywhere as a show of force, and look at them today. They are one of the better O-lines in the league. (Edge takes pretty good care of them, too...nice gifts that cost $1 for every yard gained in the game. this week's gift will be #105...a couple weeks ago it was over $200.)

well atleast we're not the browns. therir qb of the future, couch, turned out to be a joke. and then to top it off, the once browns, now ravens won a superbowl, while our ex oilers lost. they really have to be mad, i mean i think we're a better team than the browns and they have a few years on us. not to mention winslow getting hurt this year. man they sure have some luck.

The new Browns are my benchmark for the Texans through year four (9-7 record/playoffs in 2002). If they can do it in four years we should be able to do it in four years.

They are not my benchmark for the Texans for years five and beyond.

georgewashington said:
Being a third year team is not a very good excuse. I know it means the team hasnt had the chance to draft depth, get good contracts for veterans, etc. but seriously. Three years is plenty of time to try and get quality veterans. Thats plenty of time to draft three years worth of rookies to add some depth. That is plenty of time for a Franchise QB to develop since he has started the whole time. There are no excuses for Carr making horrible passes, and not checking down on receivers. He should have been doing that in college, and this is his third year in the NFL. Injuries have hurt the defense, especially the line quite a bit, but they are starting to get better, especially Payne. A draft of a DT will add much to their status. I think the defense will be tough next year. Babin will have had time to mature and adjust, Peek should be able to play full time, Sharper will stay the same, and hopefully wong will move inside and allow us to also draft a MLB early in the draft this season to develop. The DBs will be better with Earl and Robinson having playing time. We could get another shutdown corner in the draft to solidify behind Glenn. The Oline will have a season of zone blocking for the running game, maybe a draft pick high if there is a good Olineman available. Adding a running back maybe like Lamont Jordan will give the running game a new dimension. Thats really about four changes that can easily be addressed. While other teams have more talent, this team has some and can add to it very easily this offseason if they make the right moves. I think that more than anything this team is young in terms of maturity and development as a TEAM. They are getting use to playing together. Next season they will be much improved. I def. think they will be in the post season.

HAHA george maybe thats the point, they dont want to get veterans to just fill in temp. , they are trying to put young talent around this team that could play for us for years. Capers learned his lesson about filling your roster up with veterans in Carolina. It might seem like a slow process building this team but the way they are doing it will help the team out in the long run.

maybe its just me but i think a lot of you had to high of expectations this season. This team has a good foundation, we have drafted many key players, and have a organization dedicated to making this a Play-off caliber team. (Hard to get check mate on the first 3 moves, you put the pieces in place than attack.)

TexansTrueFan said:
maybe its just me but i think a lot of you had to high of expectations this season. This team has a good foundation, we have drafted many key players, and have a organization dedicated to making this a Play-off caliber team. (Hard to get check mate on the first 3 moves, you put the pieces in place than attack.)

I agree 100% :thumbup

It is the difference of choosing your perspective: realistic vs. optimistic. Sometime people become overly optimistic to the point of delusional, then get upset when their bubble is burst by reality.

There are a dozen or more NFL teams out there with a lot more history behind them that would give anything to be in the position the Texans are in right now.

Just wait, next year is our breakout year. :dancing:

Double Barrel said:
I agree 100% :thumbup

It is the difference of choosing your perspective: realistic vs. optimistic. Sometime people become overly optimistic to the point of delusional, then get upset when their bubble is burst by reality.

There are a dozen or more NFL teams out there with a lot more history behind them that would give anything to be in the position the Texans are in right now.

Just wait, next year is our breakout year. :dancing:

Hey, that sounds like the Astros chant at the end of every season.

Back