Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

What happens to sundays game if Ike comes??

I'd welcome it if the roof got ripped off and if some of the external windows blew away...more air would circulate in the stadium and it would be like the open air stadium that should have been built in the first place. :)

I'd welcome it if the roof got ripped off and if some of the external windows blew away...more air would circulate in the stadium and it would be like the open air stadium that should have been built in the first place. :)

I am in agreement of the roof.......think it's been opened 5-6 times in the existance of the place...why have it then...but still, if it meant having the storm come thru Houston, I would rather keep it closed...Nothing good would come of Ike visiting us...

Latest forecast has Ike heading into the Port O'Connor to Corpus area very late Friday night to very early Saturday morning, and by game time Sunday it's expected to be nearing the Oklahoma border to the northwest of DFW.

I don't think there will be a postponement on that track and time table, and if it is still a little too close for comfort for the powers that be who'll decide the fate of the game, I could see an even later start, 7 pm Sunday, or even pushing it to Monday, which has been done before.

Two Monday Night Football games this year!

The word here in Baytown is that our Emergency Opperations Center will be staffed starting tomorrow morning. Looks like the higher ups are atleast starting to get concerned about Ikes posible impact on the area.

Here's my write up of Ike and the Texans game:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/09/10/texans-ravens-game-at-houston-in-question-due-to-hurricane-ike/

I talked with the Texans. They have plans but aren't likely to make any decisions for a while. They mentioned how they waited until the Friday before the Chargers game to make decisions about the fires they had last year.

I wish those links in Fanhouse would open up a seperate window when you click on them, it annoys me for some reason to see what is linked and have to hit the back button every time.

*edit - thanks for the good info, especially the SciGuy's blog @ http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/2008/09/how_much_should.html

Last edited:
I am living LAX at 9am CST on Friday. It's probably unlikely my flight will be cancelled to get refunds and I don't need more credit balances that'll probably will expire.

If I don't go, and the game goes on, I have credit on SWA that I don't care for and I lose the football tickets. I also have tickets to both Astro games Friday and Saturday night, and lose those too.

My return flight is Monday morning, which I am thinking would easily be a safe return flight.

My flight has to be cancelled on Friday for me to bail out on this unless they cancel the game before I leave, which is probably unlikely.

I am living LAX at 9am CST on Friday. It's probably unlikely my flight will be cancelled to get refunds and I don't need more credit balances that'll probably will expire.

If I don't go, and the game goes on, I have credit on SWA that I don't care for and I lose the football tickets. I also have tickets to both Astro games Friday and Saturday night, and lose those too.

My return flight is Monday morning, which I am thinking would easily be a safe to return.

My flight has to be cancelled for me to bail out on this unless they cancel the game before I leave, which is probably unlikely.

Now that's dedication bro......:texflag:

Mozilla just opens them in another tab. Besides, I could go into the top ten reasons why Mozilla beats IE hands-down, but that's a different thread.

As for Ike, it looks like it's going to hit close enough to put Cat 1 winds in metro Houston, at least. If the track continues inching east, it could hit more directly.

I am in agreement of the roof.......think it's been opened 5-6 times in the existance of the place...why have it then...

In 62 Texans home games, including pre-season, 29¼ games with an open roof, 32¾ games with a closed roof.

Since they put in the "Pittsburgh" policy though, 9 open roof games, 20 closed roof.

Mozilla just opens them in another tab. Besides, I could go into the top ten reasons why Mozilla beats IE hands-down, but that's a different thread.

As for Ike, it looks like it's going to hit close enough to put Cat 1 winds in metro Houston, at least. If the track continues inching east, it could hit more directly.

I am a newly converted Mozilla firefox user and like a newly converted Christian, I am fervent in my praise. Hallelujah!!! Why did I use IE for so long?

Anyway, HISD just canceled all sporting events for the weekend and field trips. Bellaire HS was supposed to go play Southlake Carroll, north of Dallas on Friday night. The game is now canceled and the Bellaire program is seriously upset. The team was due to take a bus Thursday up to Dallas. I can't decide how I feel. Bellaire was going to be brutalized by Southlake Carroll, but I feel sorry for the kids who were looking forward to the trip. The back story is interesting, Southlake is having trouble finding teams willing to play them. They were paying for the buses, hotel, and all travel expenses for the team, in addition to giving Bellaire part of the gate.

I am a newly converted Mozilla firefox user and like a newly converted Christian, I am fervent in my praise. Hallelujah!!! Why did I use IE for so long?

Anyway, HISD just canceled all sporting events for the weekend and field trips. Bellaire HS was supposed to go play Southlake Carroll, north of Dallas on Friday night. The game is now canceled and the Bellaire program is seriously upset. The team was due to take a bus Thursday up to Dallas. I can't decide how I feel. Bellaire was going to be brutalized by Southlake Carroll, but I feel sorry for the kids who were looking forward to the trip. The back story is interesting, Southlake is having trouble finding teams willing to play them. They were paying for the buses, hotel, and all travel expenses for the team, in addition to giving Bellaire part of the gate.

I don't follow high school ball, so why is this the case? Are they just that great that people don't want to take them on?

I don't follow high school ball, so why is this the case? Are they just that great that people don't want to take them on?

They have been the Texas 5A state champs something like 4 out of the last 6 years. So yeah, most programs don't want to subject themselves to that.

They have been the Texas 5A state champs something like 4 out of the last 6 years. So yeah, most programs don't want to subject themselves to that.

Well that's pretty crappy. What happened to people being up for the challenge? Isn't that what strives others to become better? I mean I could probably lay the smack down on The Sacred Heart School for the Mentally Disabled, but what kind of challenge would that be? Seriously?

Didn't they lose in the semis last year or the finals to Katy?? Katy would play them anyday, maybe not this season, but they have been just as dominate the last 7-8 years as well....

It looks like the UH-Air Force game has been moved to Texas Stadium for Saturday. Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm confused. I didn't think high schools had a choice who they played. So why would Carrol have to worry about finding teams to play them? Also! They are PAYING for them to travel to Dallas? Is that acceptable these days? Geeeezzzzz, I must really be behind times!!:mcnugget:

Well that's pretty crappy. What happened to people being up for the challenge? Isn't that what strives others to become better? I mean I could probably lay the smack down on The Sacred Heart School for the Mentally Disabled, but what kind of challenge would that be? Seriously?

Didn't they lose in the semis last year or the finals to Katy?? Katy would play them anyday, maybe not this season, but they have been just as dominate the last 7-8 years as well....

I just know the story from the Bellaire side, Southlake was apparently looking around pretty hard for teams to fill in their schedule. And the deal they were offering us was pretty sweet. They asked Lamar and Westside (from our district) and were turned down.

And cynically, Texas HS football is big business and can be pretty damn petty at the coach's level. From what I hear from our coaches, setting the schedule each year is a nightmare of petty grievances and backstabbing.

I'm confused. I didn't think high schools had a choice who they played. So why would Carrol have to worry about finding teams to play them? Also! They are PAYING for them to travel to Dallas? Is that acceptable these days? Geeeezzzzz, I must really be behind times!!:mcnugget:

Glass is probably speaking of non-district games. The teams in their district have no choice but to play unless they forfeit.

Heck, even though we'd probably get creamed, I wouldn't mind Pearland playing one of the top tier 5a Schools. Playing pre-district games against teams like Kempner, Madison, etc doesn't really offer up much of a challenge.

I'm in Corpus trying to decide whether to ride it out or evac to Houston. Either way I am going to game on Sunday if it happens I'm just trying to find anything at all on possibilities for Sunday.

They do have a choice who they play except for district games. We used to go out to West Orange Stark H.S.

I'm in Corpus trying to decide whether to ride it out or evac to Houston. Either way I am going to game on Sunday if it happens I'm just trying to find anything at all on possibilities for Sunday.

From the present looks of things, Houston might not be the best evacuation route to take.

It looks like the UH-Air Force game has been moved to Texas Stadium for Saturday. Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You sure?? I thought I heard literally 5 minutes ago there were no plans yet to move, but Texas/Arkansas might postpone until the 28th when both are scheduled off.

Last edited:
From the present looks of things, Houston might not be the best evacuation route to take.

Yea San Antonio is pretty booked up. Course if they move the game to the Alamo Dome, I'm there. Not that I've heard anything, but it's closer than Houston by about 30 minutes....ha ha

In 62 Texans home games, including pre-season, 29¼ games with an open roof, 32¾ games with a closed roof.

Since they put in the "Pittsburgh" policy though, 9 open roof games, 20 closed roof.

I don't understand why people get so upset about the roof being closed, who wants to sweat their butts off for 3 hours. I love the roof being closed during the hot months, I am glad they do it. I think it should be closed unless it is below 70. I would not have a bottom limit on it though, leave it open below 70 no matter how cold it gets. Just how I see it.

I don't understand why people get so upset about the roof being closed, who wants to sweat their butts off for 3 hours. I love the roof being closed during the hot months, I am glad they do it. I think it should be closed unless it is below 70. I would not have a bottom limit on it though, leave it open below 70 no matter how cold it gets. Just how I see it.

I was just reminiscing about the Denver NFL network game with my buddy just yesterday. That was the perfect football night. It was cool, the roof open and Mario and the rest of the Texans were on fire. So were we fans!...That was the best.

I'm with you 100%.

Having the roof open with the temp over 85 degrees reminds me of a quote from Hoosiers...

"Look, mister, there's... two kinds of dumb, uh... guy that gets naked and runs out in the snow and barks at the moon, and, uh, guy who does the same thing in my living room. First one don't matter, the second one you're kinda forced to deal with. "

You sure?? I thought I heard literally 5 minutes ago there were no plans yet to move, but Texas/Arkansas might postpone until the 28th when both are scheduled off.

Confirmed by UH. The game will be in Dallas.

Exact time and stadium still TBD. It might be at SMU on Friday night.

I bet they move this game to Monday night. If Ike hits land on Saturday, it'll still be blowing on Sunday. I'd still try to attend, but I know the cheese and wine crowd probably couldn't make it.

If they move it, I hope its to San Antonio. I'd love it to be in Baltimore so I could attend, but I don't want to lose our hom efield advantage

Back