Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What happened?

LiveForTheGame

Waterboy
I specifically remember all the talk and arguing about Davis and Hollings. I even remember the majority arguing for Davis and how he was going to have a huge year and be this Pro Bowl back and the back of the future. All I've seen is a struggling running game (not necessarily DD's fault) and a lot of fans saying we need to go after a new back (myself included but I was never sold on Davis). I think we could use a better back than Davis, but he isn't the only problem in the running game. There is something else going on that needs to be fixed...once that happens Davis will do better.

THANK YOU ,,,our line has only HELPED produce 1 hundred yard rusher this season, the holes just arent opening up like they were last year. And i for one am still a Davis believer (though many of you are doubters) I think he will pick it up in the second half, and i saw signs of that in the game against Denver !

im torn on the issue.. i have no problem with Davis' abilities.. I honestly beleive it is the zone blocking that is limiting him. we just arent that good at it yet.

But the injuries that davis gets.. that leads me to beleive that he may not be our answer at RB.. he is simply injured too much.. we need someone that can handle the workload that our coaching staff is bound and determined to put on our RB.

TexansTrueFan said:
And i for one am still a Davis believer (though many of you are doubters) I think he will pick it up in the second half, and i saw signs of that in the game against Denver !
Yeah, you saw signs of it in the Broncos game because the Broncos went up and played prevent a good portion of the game which allowed Davis to get his yards. The Broncos defense conceded the running game but stop our passing game because Davis wasnt going to hurt them and carry the Texans back into the game...

And this was the big debate thread LiveForTheGame was talking about: http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=1469&highlight=Hollings+Fins

Grid said:
But the injuries that davis gets.. that leads me to beleive that he may not be our answer at RB.. he is simply injured too much.. we need someone that can handle the workload that our coaching staff is bound and determined to put on our RB.

Even though Davis has been injured he still plays. He has missed one game. Shouldn't he get some credit for playing while injured most of this season? Doesn't that make him somewhat tough? At least when DD is injured he still plays, unlike one of our RB's. BTW Hollings is doubtful to play this weeks game also.

wags said:
Even though Davis has been injured he still plays. He has missed one game. Shouldn't he get some credit for playing while injured most of this season? Doesn't that make him somewhat tough? At least when DD is injured he still plays, unlike one of our RB's. BTW Hollings is doubtful to play this weeks game also.

In the NFL, you are expected to play hurt if you can go without the injury hindering your ability. Davis has proven he's tough. It also shows in the games when he gets pounded behind the line.

Well, I don't think it is the line or the system. Maybe the injuries a little but I don't believe that really is the problem either. Everyone plays hurt in the NFL, especially around this time of season.

I see Davis is hesitating because of the 4 TOs earlier in the season. Being too cautious.

I say this because earlier in the season, Davis was lightening quick through the holes and his second efforts were causing the TOs. I mentioned this before, that he wouldn't be the same back. This past week he looked to be less worried about it though and he had some success.

wags said:
Even though Davis has been injured he still plays. He has missed one game. Shouldn't he get some credit for playing while injured most of this season? Doesn't that make him somewhat tough?
Yeah he plays, but he isnt effective. The franchice backs in this league get better as the game go on and can control the clock in the 4th quarter when they need to. When Davis isnt playing at full stregth he isnt effective. Playing through pain and playing effectivley through pain are two totally different things...

Fiddy said:
The franchice backs in this league get better as the game go on and can control the clock in the 4th quarter when they need to.

Well, kind of--they get better results but the DL getting tired has as much or more to do with it than the RB getting better.

Back