Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What happened to JoJo Mathis ?!?!?!

rd21

Practice Squad
Anyone know what happened to the UDFA OLB Joe Mathis we supposedly signed from Washington ??? He rated very highly leading up to the draft but because of his foot injury and the following surgery he had to repair the foot, he didn't get drafted but this guy looks to be a hell of a prospect and right after the draft I had read some articles that he was signing with the Texans but since then I haven't seen anything on this guy and have no idea if he is on a tryout or they already released him or whatever because his name is not on the Texans roster when other UDFA's are on the roster that were picked up after this last April's draft. I was psyched that we were supposedly getting this guy but now I can't find out anything about his status with our team. Anybody know anything ????

Last edited:

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
He was brought in on a tryout only basis and was not signed to a contract after rookie minicamp. Given the talent he displayed when healthy it's most assuredly because he is still injured.

rd21

Practice Squad
He was brought in on a tryout only basis and was not signed to a contract after rookie minicamp. Given the talent he displayed when healthy it's most assuredly because he is still injured.
I was figuring that might have been the case. That is too bad since he was definitely draft worthy before the foot injury. Maybe he could be picked up later after the foot gets better.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Difficult to find anything recent on Mathis

Two teams told CBS Sports' Dane Brugler that they have scrapped Washington edge rusher Joe Mathis from their boards due to medical concerns over his surgically-repaired foot.

Mathis' foot surgery in November brought his 2016 to an early close. While the 6-foot-2, 266-pounder said at the end of January that he is 100% recovered from that surgery, there are clearly still those teams that are not completely sold on that front. Mathis most likely won't be seeing draft interest until Day 3, assuming he does see interest.

Source: Dane Brugler on Twitter
Apr 28 - 6:53 PM
Texans signed Washington OLB Joe Mathis.

Mathis (6’2/266) was a two-year starter at outside linebacker in Washington's 3-4 defense, tallying 15.5 TFLs, nine sacks and two forced fumbles before suffering a year-ending foot injury last season. Mathis earned PFF College’s highest pass rush productivity rating with 30 QB pressures in seven 2016 appearances. On tape, Mathis exhibits questionable quickness and overall athleticism, and his college production was limited despite small sample success in his final year. Mathis could be someone to watch if healthy. May 9 - 12:52 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/cfb/137263/joe-mathis

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Taken from my response to you in the UDFA signings thread:

He actually was reported to have signed by some media. Since this early May report, he has managed to fall off the face of the earth............he is not listed as part of the Texans roster. His injury recovery does not carry a great medical or NFL prognosis for a player with a handful of impressive games only in his last year in college (before his injury). I guess the Texans may have recognized this ahead of time for once.