Thanks for your support!

What grade do you give for our first pick

Texian

Hall of Fame
This is where I am.

If Mills becomes an above avg starting QB then this draft was a success

Nobody knows at this point.

My grade is- incomplete.
If the Texans can trade Mills for a 3rd RD draft pick next year then it will be a delayed success. :) SUCK FOR SAM HOWELL!

Texansballer74

The Marine
Other than what he is, we shouldn't be putting a lot of stock into Mills. If he was that good, he wouldn't have been available in the 3rd round. Even so, I think it was a decent pick for when it happened.

All hail Tom Braidy!!!!!!!!
Russell Wilson was selected in the 4th round I believe.

The kid probably should’ve stayed one more year in college. He was projected to go in the first in next year’s draft. Injuries derailed his collegiate career.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Other than what he is, we shouldn't be putting a lot of stock into Mills. If he was that good, he wouldn't have been available in the 3rd round. Even so, I think it was a decent pick for when it happened.

I'm in wait and see mode

Go Tom Braidy Go.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I’m giving them a C

I understand we don’t know how these guys will play out, but I expected more defensive oriented selections.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
We're fans, it's what we do. And I doubt most of our predictions will come through in any case.
Not just us. The media is plastering us with grades as well.

We’re not grading the players selected. We’re grading the GM addressing needs.

Davis Mills for instance, was that a prudent use oflimited draft capital? I think not.

But if he turns into a viable starter Caserio would have proven to have better foresight than me.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Sometimes you know what the student is capable of before you the test is given. So if there is any doubt my grade of D (1.88) was pretty much spot on. As you can see it wasn't just me. The Texans graded out with the worst draft in the league. Believe what you eyes are telling you and stop drinking the kool aid. This is not a one time event it will happen again.

View attachment 8706View attachment 8706
These clowns can take their draft grades and stick 'em up their azzhhhh !
After the best 65 players in the Draft have already been selected how is any team supposed to accumulate a group of all stars ?

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Draft "grades" are ultimately meaningless and irrelevant. They are merely empty chatter for media and fans, but ultimately, they are utterly worthless unless graded years later.

I understand why folks do it, but arguing about those opinions just seems futile.

All grades are incomplete for everything the Texans are doing in my perspective. I'll eventually judge this tree by the fruit it produces.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Texans and RS draft a few years back was probably given a C or low B and 3 years later.....not one player was still on the team and some not even in the NFL. That was a draft grade that never held up after a couple of seasons. A draft with a lot of hope but ultimately wound up with a Stooges pie throw in the face.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Davis Mills for instance, was that a prudent use oflimited draft capital? I think not.
how can you say this though? Everyone is saying what you’re saying...we should’ve went defense largely b/c our defense was awful last year. But we went defense last year with our 1st pick in the 2nd & got a very nice, highly regarded pick. And you know what, that made absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in how good our defense was in 2020. In fact, Blacklock was barely a factor for us in 2020. This year, our 1st pick was a round later than last year. So whose to say THAT defensive pick would’ve been a better use of that draft capital than Mills will be?

You see there’s 2 sides to this thing. but fans and the media don’t want to acknowledge that b/c thoughts about what is best are based on the assumption that the alternative is for sure going to be a success or of better use. that defensive pick could be just as much of a bust as Mills could be.

The reality however is that the upsides are very different. hitting on Mills ...even as a middling to good qb in the lane of a Schaub-Romo level Qb offers franchise changing upside vs. a pro bowl defensive player drafted in that same spot. Go ask any number of teams that drafted defensive studs only to watch those guys make no huge difference in the W-L columns b/c they didn’t have a qb.

I believe NC went for BPA there and I believe Mills just happened to be the guy. If a better player at another position of need would’ve been there....say at CB or LB I believe we would’ve went that route.

Number19

Hall of Fame
...I believe NC went for BPA there and I believe Mills just happened to be the guy. If a better player at another position of need would’ve been there....say at CB or LB I believe we would’ve went that route.
Except, according to the Mills family, Davis was contacted by the Texans at some point during the 2nd round and told he would be the Texans selection if still available at 67. It would be interesting to know when in the 2nd round this call was made. I would think it would have been nearer the bottom of the round as it was becoming apparent that Trask, Mills and Mond were coming into range.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Except, according to the Mills family, Davis was contacted by the Texans at some point during the 2nd round and told he would be the Texans selection if still available at 67. It would be interesting to know when in the 2nd round this call was made. I would think it would have been nearer the bottom of the round as it was becoming apparent that Trask, Mills and Mond were coming into range.
That’s because they wanted Mond. Unfortunately he was snatched up the pick before ours.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Sometimes you know what the student is capable of before you the test is given. So if there is any doubt my grade of D (1.88) was pretty much spot on. As you can see it wasn't just me. The Texans graded out with the worst draft in the league. Believe what you eyes are telling you and stop drinking the kool aid. This is not a one time event it will happen again.

The bottom three teams didn’t have a first round pick. That tells you something about how skewed the grades are.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
So, did we learn anything about the new, and hopefully improved Texans? I think what I learned is that Pep Hamilton has a lot of influence already. Maybe more than anyone on the outside of the organization knew going into this draft.
That’s a good thing right? We don’t have to worry about Jack Easterby any more?

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
It's not necessarily the ingredients but the cook who makes the meal. Good things can be done with hamburger and rice, or, it can end up a friggin mess. I'm not near as excited about this dud of a draft, but what the season shows us. We got a new cook, so at least some things should change.
Excellent metaphor and a great example for what we’re facing now. By the way, hamburger and rice can more than adequately do the job, and, in more ways than one.

Toro Bravo

Rookie
Now that I've had a couple of days to calm down and get over the shock of drafting a QB with our 67th pick, I have come to like it. I researched Mills and looked at film and I think he could be our starter next year. Definitely needs a year to season in the NFL but he has all the measurables.
40 yd. dash; DW = 4.66, Mills = 4.58
20 yd. shuttle; DW = 4.31, Mills = 4.37
Vertical jump; DW = 32.5", Mills = 32"
Broad jump; DW = 119", Mills = 110"
Three cone; DW = 6.95, Mill = 6.90

He played in a pro style system and is smart. I also like his mechanics and that he releases the ball at the high point. This pick may turn out to be a steal.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Considering that he would be a 1st round pick had he stayed in school for 2021-2022 (maybe top pick). We got a potential stud who just has to be groomed. Pep helped Luck so he has the credibility to help him. So, while I would have went DB or DT...I give the pick a solid

B+ that is an A+ IF he ends up being as good as he has the ability to be.

Hardcore Texan

Magnet Man
I'll give it a "U" for unknown. Or either A+ to offset all the knee jerk reactions saying how terrible the pick is and how wasn't a need and all the other belly aching. We have no idea how good this kid can turn out to be. Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round. Russell Wilson was the 75th pick overall in the 3rd round. It might not be a popular opinion in today's instant gratification society we live in.......but how about we wait and see what happens.

Last edited:

Hardcore Texan

Magnet Man

These predictions don't mean squat.
All that it will take, is this guy to turn into a good QB and all of the "analysts" will flip flop and will be talking about how much of a steal it was.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'll give it a "U" for unknown. Or either A+ to offset all the knee jerk reactions saying how terrible the pick is and how wasn't a need and all the other belly aching. We have no idea how good this kid can turn out to be. Tom Brady wasn't drafted in the 6th round. Russell Wilson was the 75th pick overall in the 3rd round. It might not be a popular opinion in today's instant gratification society we live in.......but how about we wait and see what happens.
This is where I'm at with the pick.

how can you say this though? Everyone is saying what you’re saying...we should’ve went defense largely b/c our defense was awful last year. But we went defense last year with our 1st pick in the 2nd & got a very nice, highly regarded pick. And you know what, that made absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in how good our defense was in 2020. In fact, Blacklock was barely a factor for us in 2020. This year, our 1st pick was a round later than last year. So whose to say THAT defensive pick would’ve been a better use of that draft capital than Mills will be?

You see there’s 2 sides to this thing. but fans and the media don’t want to acknowledge that b/c thoughts about what is best are based on the assumption that the alternative is for sure going to be a success or of better use. that defensive pick could be just as much of a bust as Mills could be.

The reality however is that the upsides are very different. hitting on Mills ...even as a middling to good qb in the lane of a Schaub-Romo level Qb offers franchise changing upside vs. a pro bowl defensive player drafted in that same spot. Go ask any number of teams that drafted defensive studs only to watch those guys make no huge difference in the W-L columns b/c they didn’t have a qb.

I believe NC went for BPA there and I believe Mills just happened to be the guy. If a better player at another position of need would’ve been there....say at CB or LB I believe we would’ve went that route.
I'll admit that I thought that we should have focused more on defense but you make valid arguments.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I would have gone for a defensive player as well, but I don't think Mills is either a useless or a bad pick as some have said. Mills will either prove his worth and all the told-ya-so's begin, or Mills is totally horrible and all the (other) told-ya-so's begin. Just don't say I didn't tell ya so.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
This is speculation. It's been said about many guys & doesn't always come to be. Bret Hundley comes to mind.

No one knows what kind of prospect Mills would be in 2022 had he stayed in school.
Actually all picks "rank" is speculation. However, he sat out for covid 1 year and played well enough to get a 2nd or 3rd round grade in the season he played. He has the arm, ability to read a D and look off DBs, can make any throw, has some mobility, good ball placement, high IQ and last dedicated to get better. Coaches have said that he is the 1st to arrive and last to leave. Very coachable.

Down side... He can be hot and cold with accuracy at times, won't always step up in a messy pocket (which causes the accuracy issue).

Texian

Hall of Fame

If he was that good Trask and Mond would NOT have been drafted before him.

Texian

Hall of Fame
For pissing off Texian, Caserio gets an A+++ in this draft.
I will bet you a confirmation to TT that he's better than Mine. 60 bucks.
That is not true. Brady went in what round again? How about Wilson and Dak. All because a player goes before another doesn’t mean they were better.
Lol, Texian reminds me of Dan Akroyd in The Great Outdoors...
Takes very little to get a rise out of the Kool Aid drinkers this AM. Caserio is an extension of Easterby. The Kool Aid drinkers are all to eager to help Jackoff the horse. Speaking of a horse, have you ever been through the desert on a horse with no name?