Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What grade do you give for our first pick

"You know what Trent, for a team that did not pick till the 63 pick in this year draft. They did very well!"
- ESPN

A+

Its not even over , tommorow will be a better day. Thank you NICK and Culley lets righ this ship.

Okay I hungry for some football, not anal massages, massage boners, instagram................... therapist vs whores no more please!

TexansThunder

Waterboy
I love the Collins pick - which is a definite need. I'm OK with QB pick but not when we have greater needs on defense. Mills will not help us this year.
With Easterby’s incompetence infecting the franchise and NC’s questionable salary cap decisions, I thought the Texans were hopeless going forward.

After selecting Mills and Collins in this draft, I will say that they will become the best consecutive picks in franchise history and among the best in the NFL.

“Dr.” Mills will be ready to run the offense from the start of season. There is not one offense in the league he couldn’t handle from Game 1. He is wicked smart. Definitely going to impress the fan base when he is under center.

Collins is the Texans new #1 receiver. What a steal! The Texans got a receiver with 1st round talent in the 3rd round. Man, he sure is exceptionally talented! He has the best skill set of any receiver on the team.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I'm not sure how to grade Caserio in this draft. I guess I look at building an NFL franchise from the trenches out. The Texans, under Nick, have a completely different philosophy. But I can't sit here and say it's wrong, it's just different. Also complicating the grading process, as someone implied up-thread, the Texans are drafting this year to set things up for the future. I don't expect Rico Collins to step right in day 1 and be a potent WR1 or even a WR2. He's got some work to do. He'll probably be a platoon wide receiver. Davis Mills is two-three years out. He's a developmental quarterback that went where a lot of people thought he would go.

Dejaview

All Pro
I'm not sure how to grade Caserio in this draft. I guess I look at building an NFL franchise from the trenches out. The Texans, under Nick, have a completely different philosophy. But I can't sit here and say it's wrong, it's just different. Also complicating the grading process, as someone implied up-thread, the Texans are drafting this year to set things up for the future. I don't expect Rico Collins to step right in day 1 and be a potent WR1 or even a WR2. He's got some work to do. He'll probably be a platoon wide receiver. Davis Mills is two-three years out. He's a developmental quarterback that went where a lot of people thought he would go.
Wow, why I also believe in building from the trenches out you don’t think NC didn’t concentrate on those areas with his signings and trades? Also how many third round picks step in and start Day 1? Usually they too are drafted to set things up for the future. And don’t you think NC brought in several players that could start Day 1 unlike anyone’s third round pick? gotta grade this draft from where it started.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
With Easterby’s incompetence infecting the franchise and NC’s questionable salary cap decisions, I thought the Texans were hopeless going forward.

After selecting Mills and Collins in this draft, I will say that they will become the best consecutive picks in franchise history and among the best in the NFL.

“Dr.” Mills will be ready to run the offense from the start of season. There is not one offense in the league he couldn’t handle from Game 1. He is wicked smart. Definitely going to impress the fan base when he is under center.

Collins is the Texans new #1 receiver. What a steal! The Texans got a receiver with 1st round talent in the 3rd round. Man, he sure is exceptionally talented! He has the best skill set of any receiver on the team.
Love your optimism.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Caserio added Justin Britt/Lane Taylor in FA and traded for Marcus Cannon. Also added Maliek Collins, Shaq Lawson, Jaleel Johnson and Demarcus Walker. Add Jordan Jenkins to list of DL if you think he'll be playing DE instead of OLB in this system.

I think Caserio addressed the trenches a great deal in FA. That being said I wanted him to take Meinerz when the Texans were on the clock because I want to hammer down on building a bully in the trenches. But they went a different route... doesn't mean they aren't building their team from the inside out. The OL is the strength of this team and got stronger with the offseason additions.

The DL I agree is still not a strength but I don't mind filling other needs at this time given the offseason additions.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Wow, why I also believe in building from the trenches out you don’t think NC didn’t concentrate on those areas with his signings and trades? Also how many third round picks step in and start Day 1? Usually they too are drafted to set things up for the future. And don’t you think NC brought in several players that could start Day 1 unlike anyone’s third round pick? gotta grade this draft from where it started.
Oh, OK. I thought this thread was strictly on the draft. That's what I was trying to answer. I'm not about to go look through all 70 transactions Nick made before the draft and answer to those.

So I take it you didn't my thoughts on the subject? I actually didn't make an opinion one way or another, only to state I would have done things differently in the draft. In fact, I went out of my way to say "but I can't sit here and say it's wrong" (referring to Nick's approach to the draft).

I would have drafted the best defensive lineman in the draft at #67. They were horrid stopping the run last season and almost equally as bad rushing the passer. IMHO, they didn't do near enough to address those two glaring problems (on a team full of them) in this offseason. But again, I'm not faulting Nick Caserio because I don't know what his grand vision for the future is, not to mention he had nothing to work with going into this draft.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Caserio and every Texans fan should’ve known that a complete tear-down and re-build was the only option facing Caserio. If any of us were not convinced of this when Caserio was hired, then I surely hope the Watson situation put the final nail into the reality of this ensuing re-build.

2021: Bad Cap, Bad Contracts, Little to No Talent, and Handicapped Draft. 2021 NFL Draft, I’ll call it the “Hope-N-Prayer” draft. Hope and pray that the picks hang around for the next 3-4 seasons and become solid contributors to the team. I fully accept that Caserio and his team have decided to set the table for a competitive tank job and the trading of Watson so 2022 begins the next phase of the re-build.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I like mills. Indifferent on the wr. Hate the te pick. We got a lb in the 5th? Defense finally you say?

Super Bowl here we come.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I like mills. Indifferent on the wr. Hate the te pick. We got a lb in the 5th? Defense finally you say?

Super Bowl here we come.
In all likelihood, anyone expecting this particular draft to be a huge success has better pot than me. Other than waiting so long to pick a defensive player, nothing they've done so far either excites or disgusts me.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
In all likelihood, anyone expecting this particular draft to be a huge success has better pot than me.
I've learned quite harshly to never expect success from any Texans draft.

spek

Hopeless Wanderer
I actually like the fist 3 picks. QB with upside and two big body receivers Collins and Jordan. Remember this season is a throw away, they are looking forward to 2022 where they should be picking 1-1 or close to it and will hopefully have a bevy of high picks for getting rid of you know who.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
what grade do you give our new general manager ?
Smart.
He drafted with an eye on next years draft.
We all know we need help on defense, but just how much help can you expect from rookie 3rd> rounders?
Would they be better than the vets he brought in? I doubt it.
If Mills looks promising and TT does a sound job, you save those 2022 firsts and seconds for your defense and other positions of need.
He also gets to assess his QB coach in this time to see if he needs to make a move on a new one of those if he doesn't trust the current one with a #1 draft pick.

Last edited:

banned1976

sleeper mode
It seems most of us are need based pickers, & not BPA pickers
Guilty. That's my strategy in every draft until the 5th. Draft for need and hope when your pick is up that the best player available addresses a need. With the Texans, they had numerous needs and by my own assessment, based off of nothing more than my admittedly subjective opinion, was that the defensive line is the weakest link on this team. At pick #67 I would have drafted Joseph Ossai. Lance Zierline had him slotted in the 2nd round.

Like I wrote right after the pick, I understood the thinking behind the decision. TBH, I'm indifferent about Mills. I don't know much about him because he doesn't have a great body of work. But I do know this about Mills; better have that offensive line solidified when he gets some live action. He's not as statuesque as Tom Savage but he's not exactly Lamar either. If I had a visual scale to depict mobility, with Tom Savage on one end and Lamar Jackson on the other, Mills is way over to the Savage side of that scale.

Last edited:

TexansThunder

Waterboy
It seems most of us are need based pickers, & not BPA pickers
Not 1 QB drafted in the 1st round from 2009-2016 will be with the original team that drafted them by the start of the 2021 season.

Strong possibility that Pat Mahomes may be the only true foundation QB that will stay with the same team for his entire career. Watson won’t play another down for the Texans.

amazing how many QBs get drafted then either drop out of the league entirely or turn into journeyman back-ups.

the reason I bring this up is because the are folks that have the expectation that, as bad as the Texans are, Mills will not develop and he won’t play well behind the Texans OL. I strongly disagree. He will pick up the offense quickly and won’t struggle like former 1st round pick Jared Goff for example.

Texans’ philosophy seemed to focus on maximizing the draft’s strengths. A draft with exceptional WR depth - Texans drafted 2 WRs with their 2 of their first 3 speaks. Yeah, I know Brevin Jordan is listed as a TE and he led the nation in YAC among all TEs - he can line up at any position in any set and be just as productive.

I actually thought the Texans did well with their Offensive picks but not very well on the Defensive side.

Number19

Hall of Fame
... Davis Mills is two-three years out. He's a developmental quarterback that went where a lot of people thought he would go.
Usually a developmental QB will see little playing time during the season and minimal practice snaps as focus will be on preparing for the next opponent.

Mills will see playing time, and practice time, this year, sufficiently to allow Culley and his coaches to evaluate what they have and his developmental progress.

If our record is as poor as some are projecting, it wouldn't surprise me to see him starting after the break (depending where the break falls in our schedule). Surely the last 3 or 4 games.

Number19

Hall of Fame
...The DL I agree is still not a strength but I don't mind filling other needs at this time given the offseason additions.
The Chronical reported that Caserio commented on not drafting defense, saying they had several players targeted but the draft just didn't fall to them. So they went after offense players they had targeted at those picks. Also it was mentioned that the team had addressed all their needs in free agency and so were not in a position of having to go BPA. They went after players with specific skill sets which fit their schemes and which they could develop.

Last edited:

Tex1983

Practice Squad
It looks like they used this years draft to build depth. This will help solidify the depth for the next three years. Using free agents to build depth is expensive. Using udfas for depth is setting yourself up for failure. Probably one reason for failure is the texans have have been using udfa for depth and those players are simply not good compared to other teams’.

Next year will be the year we draft our starters. 1st overall will be qb followed by a 1st rd pick via trade for the best defensive player.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Honestly if we had a 1st or 2nd round pick I don't think people would mind as much because a quality backup/project QB has been a need on this team for a long time and usually those are taken in the late 2nd or early 3rd. Only reason this one gets under the microscope so much is because it basically was our first round pick. As far as the pick itself I give it a B+ to an A, I feel much better about drafting a project with a new coaching staff. If this was the previous staff it would have been a C- at best and thats only because it would be a cheap rookie deal. People saying this isn't a need has 4 years of Watson really made you forget already what its like to be on the QB carousel? If they can get him, have him clip board for a year and then just be a Foles or Cousins or Bridgewater level QB then it was a steal.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Here is an example of when a grade was written on the test before the test was even taken.
Sometimes you know what the student is capable of before you the test is given. So if there is any doubt my grade of D (1.88) was pretty much spot on. As you can see it wasn't just me. The Texans graded out with the worst draft in the league. Believe what you eyes are telling you and stop drinking the kool aid. This is not a one time event it will happen again.

1620052935016.png1620052935016.png

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Sometimes you know what the student is capable of before you the test is given. So if there is any doubt my grade of D (1.88) was pretty much spot on. As you can see it wasn't just me. The Texans graded out with the worst draft in the league. Believe what you eyes are telling you and stop drinking the kool aid. This is not a one time event it will happen again.
I'll stop drinking the kool aid when you stop drinking the hemlock. Ok Texans graded last in the draft, wow a team that doesn't have a 1st or 2nd doesn't grade as well as teams that do, what a shock. Fact is there is nothing the Texans could have ever done to make you happy except hiring Manning as GM and Meyer as HC, anything outside of that was doomed to be a failure in your mind.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I'll stop drinking the kool aid when you stop drinking the hemlock. Ok Texans graded last in the draft, wow a team that doesn't have a 1st or 2nd doesn't grade as well as teams that do, what a shock. Fact is there is nothing the Texans could have ever done to make you happy except hiring Manning as GM and Meyer as HC, anything outside of that was doomed to be a failure in your mind.
Stop making excuses. Caserio is proving me right once again. And get up to speed, this year my preferences were Luke Fickell (note the avatar) and Kirby Smart to be head coaches. Both proven winners. I can assure you Culley was no where on my radar. Eliot Wolf was my choice for GM. By the look of things the Packers are probably wishing they had hired Wolf instead of Brian Gutekunst who is certainly making a mess of things. Aaron Rodgers is demanding his firing. By all accounts Eliot Wolf is doing a fantastic job in New England. He has certainly turned their draft process around. When Bob Kraft throws Nick Caserio under the bus for 5 bad years of drafting, costing the Pats $200MM to get things right, you should listen to Kraft and not make excuses for Caserio. We certainly got a glimpse and an understanding of what Bob Kraft was talking about this past weekend.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Stop making excuses. Caserio is proving me right once again. And get up to speed, this year my preferences were Luke Fickell (note the avatar) and Kirby Smart to be head coaches. Both proven winners. I can assure you Culley was no where on my radar. Eliot Wolf was my choice for GM. By the look of things the Packers are probably wishing they had hired Wolf instead of Brian Gutekunst who is certainly making a mess of things. Aaron Rodgers is demanding his firing. By all accounts Eliot Wolf is doing a fantastic job in New England. He has certainly turned their draft process around. When Bob Kraft throws Nick Caserio under the bus for 5 bad years of drafting, costing the Pats $200MM to get things right, you should listen to Kraft and not make excuses for Caserio. We certainly got a glimpse and an understanding of what Bob Kraft was talking about this past weekend.

:spit:

I would love to see where you've been proven right even once. Hell you even prove yourself wrong, in the Mills thread you talked about Tampa having the best draft but your own chart shows they weren't even in the top 20. You talk about how great Wolf is doing, even though it one draft and drafts can't really be graded till about 3 years have passed, but did you completely miss the huge amount of money they just dropped on F/As. Not sure what the Packers or Rodgers has to do with any of this but sure keep using that filler.

Either way this is the wrong thread for this conversation so I'll give you the last word or we can continue in the Caserio thread.

OptimisticTexan

View attachment 8706View attachment 8706
Nice charts......literally don’t mean shite at the moment since it’s only based on projectables. I would never give a draft grade until these players are on the field of play. I think every draft class should be graded on the business matrix.

Season 1: Are they learning, becoming part of the team and acclimating to the NFL?
Season 2: Are the picks holding their own and competing as starters or solid backups?
Season 3: Have the players selected become solid starters, contributing backups, or just general assets overall to the team?

Do teams who got solid A pluses after the draft hold those A pluses 3 years later. Like I stated.....give two shites about draft grades, I’ll take progress grades over a period of 3 seasons to better judge a draft.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

I will grade the pick 2-3 years from now. But for shitz and giggles I will give them a B-.
Maybe we use baseball batting average matrix here. Every team has a solid and infallible .000 AVG when the draft is completed. We’ll see what they raise their average to after seasons 1, 2, & 3. This would be far more honest than the grades given after names are selected and no one has played on an NFL field.....yet.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Nice charts......literally don’t mean shite at the moment since it’s only based on projectables. I would never give a draft grade until these players are on the field of play. I think every draft class should be graded on the business matrix.

Season 1: Are they learning, becoming part of the team and acclimating to the NFL?
Season 2: Are the picks holding their own and competing as starters or solid backups?
Season 3: Have the players selected become solid starters, contributing backups, or just general assets overall to the team?

Do teams who got solid A pluses after the draft hold those A pluses 3 years later. Like I stated.....give two shites about draft grades, I’ll take progress grades over a period of 3 seasons to better judge a draft.
To your point name one team that "won the draft" and went on to win the season.

Texian

Hall of Fame

Just pointing out that things are not as rosy as all the Kool Aid drinkers are trying to make it out to be.

Texian

Hall of Fame
:spit:

I would love to see where you've been proven right even once. Hell you even prove yourself wrong, in the Mills thread you talked about Tampa having the best draft but your own chart shows they weren't even in the top 20. You talk about how great Wolf is doing, even though it one draft and drafts can't really be graded till about 3 years have passed, but did you completely miss the huge amount of money they just dropped on F/As. Not sure what the Packers or Rodgers has to do with any of this but sure keep using that filler.

Either way this is the wrong thread for this conversation so I'll give you the last word or we can continue in the Caserio thread.
In the end, like Bill O'Brien, like Jack Easterby, I will be proven correct about Nick Caserio. He's another bad Bill Belichick clerk hire. Bob Kraft already agrees with me. The handwriting is on the wall. Evident for all to see it. Those that want to anyways.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Honestly if we had a 1st or 2nd round pick I don't think people would mind as much because a quality backup/project QB has been a need on this team for a long time and usually those are taken in the late 2nd or early 3rd. Only reason this one gets under the microscope so much is because it basically was our first round pick. As far as the pick itself I give it a B+ to an A, I feel much better about drafting a project with a new coaching staff. If this was the previous staff it would have been a C- at best and thats only because it would be a cheap rookie deal. People saying this isn't a need has 4 years of Watson really made you forget already what its like to be on the QB carousel? If they can get him, have him clip board for a year and then just be a Foles or Cousins or Bridgewater level QB then it was a steal.
He Will atleast be that. IMHO.

Hoping he's better, the talent is there.