Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Well, the GM search is on!

No, what I was saying is that you mentioned FA's, who technically don't have contracts, so one could approach their agent about the interest of the player to want to play for them, but they wouldn't be trying to figure out contract info because there isn't any.

Regarding players currently under contract, someone here pointed out that contracts are filed with the league office so I imagine that information is fairly easy to obtain.

I do agree that these clandestine conversations happen all the time. But I would think that if you have to go through the backdoor channels you are describing in order to obtain information, it's tampering. Otherwise why not just openly go directly to the agent? Seems like a difficult way of doing things if obtaining that information is not an infraction.

Since we can't even agree that the Rockets have been more successful than the Texans over the last 5 years then I really can't respond to you.

But to answer your question you use backdoor channels t get the guy you want. Like you said it happens all of the time. At least with orgs that aren't clusterfvck it does.

So we're stuck in limbo the next two years and this pretty much guarantees at least 9 years of Obrien. Crap on a stick.

There was a recent report where a source said it would not be surprising at all Caserio stayed. He was open to interviewing but isn't necessarily looking to leave

Thirsty Texans - not a good look. I guess at that point you may as well promote OBrien to HC & GM duties and be relegated to punchlines, jokes and first round playoff exits (if that).

Thirsty Texans - not a good look. I guess at that point you may as well promote OBrien to HC & GM duties and be relegated to punchlines, jokes and first round playoff exits (if that).

Probably not even that. Vegas odds have texans missing the playoffs.

Don't count on OB getting a free pass on this season because of not having a GM. He's wrapped tight in that decisuon & if anything has even more control.

Makes a perfect opportunity to dump him and get a GM & HC to start fresh.

My hope is that we win the division and make a deep run in the playoffs. Ill be on board with Caserio/Obrien in that scenario, though I wouldnt want to go another season without a GM if Caserio declines.

If we get embarassed again, or dont make the playoffs at all, Im good with starting fresh.

Probably not even that. Vegas odds have texans missing the playoffs.

They should miss the playoffs with that schedule and their OL.

Only thing that gives me hope is they should make the playoffs if Watson/Hopkins/WFV/Coutee stay healthy all yr. What's the odds of this happening?

kj1bpzy1uv931.png

There was a recent report where a source said it would not be surprising at all Caserio stayed. He was open to interviewing but isn't necessarily looking to leave
I dunno if it's true but there's a rumor out there of an unsubstantiated report that SteelB is trying to get a meeting with Cal McNair to recommend that McNair hire Daryl Morey
as the Texans GM. Full disclosure here - it's possible that none of this is true.

Yeah, a GM who would be in charge of hiring and firing head coaches.

I'm all for cleaning house and rebooting this sh!tshow.

Although I'm pretty certain that Cletus is in over his head and change would end up having worse results. This is what happens when a duma$$ inherits a team and can only do what his mother lets him do. Add in the morality/Not Texans Worthy and you get what we currently have going on down on Kirby.

Certainly not an environment that's conducive to bringing a championship to this city. Anybody who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

Last edited:
I dunno if it's true but there's a rumor out there of an unsubstantiated report that SteelB is trying to get a meeting with Cal McNair to recommend that McNair hire Daryl Morey
as the Texans GM. Full disclosure here - it's possible that none of this is true.

Give me Luhnow

So far good job GM........s by doing nothing since gaine got fired and now pissing off Clowney.

Cal.... NUKe this clown show baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the problem lies with the entire Texans persona......which means, top GM's probably shun the Texans organization if they're not allowed to bring in the HC of their choice and instead are finding OB forced on them.

I'd give OB 5 games to prove his gamesmanship this season....if he fails, fire him. If getting a new GM hasn't yielded any results, time to get real serious about the short and long term prospects of the team as it is currently built.

If this became the course, first things first, Cal must take a step back and hire a respected football mind to get this organization back on track. This individual would be solely responsible for finding a new GM and working with the new GM in finding a HC, building a staff, and establishing a plan for rebuild and its timeframe.

Who the hell have you people worked for? There has never been a billionaire, or predecessor, owner who said sure, here's an unlimited amount of money to huck at an unknown person to guide the team so the 2 of you can spend whatever the hell you want for the next 5 years. Hands off means doesn't become the GM like Jerry Jones. It doesn't mean ignorant or stupid.

Some people around here act like owners throw their keys in a bowl, grab one, walk away and don't know which team they own. It's stupid.

I think the problem lies with the entire Texans persona......which means, top GM's probably shun the Texans organization if they're not allowed to bring in the HC of their choice and instead are finding OB forced on them.

Most GMs don't bring a HC with them. They are straddled with the existing coach. When he fizzles out they become part of the selection process & bring in their guy. We haven't had a lot of GMs, so I doubt the word around the league is that they'll be stuck with a particular HC for life.

Eddie DeBartolo
I'll give you partial credit for DeBartolo. He wasn't a Jerrah Jones type meddler but he wasn't totally stand-offish either. He made sure his players had the best of everything. They loved (and still love) him for it. His approach got the Niners five SBs.

I'll give you partial credit for DeBartolo. He wasn't a Jerrah Jones type meddler but he made sure his players had the best of everything. They loved (and still love) him for it. His approach got the Niners five SBs.

That type of owner is what it takes to win a SB.

The Pats are an outlier.

That type of owner is what it takes to win a SB.

The Pats are an outlier.
The Pats have state-of-the-art facilities and Kraft owns the planes they fly on. They are in no way an outlier in that area. That approach has given them 6 titles in 9 tries.
Bellichick is what makes them an outlier. His ability to morph his schemes to the players is amazing. That's why he can get away with letting top talent walk and rarely give out big time contracts.

Which means you
The Pats have state-of-the-art facilities and Kraft owns the planes they fly on. They are in no way an outlier in that area. That approach has given them 6 titles in 9 tries.
Bellichick is what makes them an outlier. His ability to morph his schemes to the players is amazing. That's why he can get away with letting top talent walk and rarely give out big time contracts.

Looks like if the Texans want to compete with the Pats they need to do the things DeBartolo did. One more thing Kraft does is he lets Belichick run the show. Maybe the Texans are making some progress because they are letting BOB run the show. However I dont think Cletus will ever let BOB make a trade for a guy like Gordon like Belichick did. Or make a trade for Trent Williams like Belichick is allowed to do. (That would cost $$$$ and they cant lose that salary cap championship by having to pay for guys that cost big $$$$.)

Which means you

Looks like if the Texans want to compete with the Pats they need to do the things DeBartolo did. One more thing Kraft does is he lets Belichick run the show. Maybe the Texans are making some progress because they are letting BOB run the show. However I dont think Cletus will ever let BOB make a trade for a guy like Gordon like Belichick did. Or make a trade for Trent Williams like Belichick is allowed to do. (That would cost $$$$ and they cant lose that salary cap championship by having to pay for guys that cost big $$$$.)
In a hard cap era, teams can't be ran like DeBartelo did. The problem with trying to emulate the Pats is that it isn't possible because Belichick is what makes them so special. Kraft lets Belichick do what he does because he can make it work. O'Brien can't even manage the clock properly, much less a headcase like Josh Gordon. Gordon is a bad choice, btw. Total headcase.

In a hard cap era, teams can't be ran like DeBartelo did. The problem with trying to emulate the Pats is that it isn't possible because Belichick is what makes them so special. Kraft lets Belichick do what he does because he can make it work. O'Brien can't even manage the clock properly, much less a headcase like Josh Gordon. Gordon is a bad choice, btw. Total headcase.

Brady/Belichick is what makes them special.

Adding guys with checkered pasts shows that they only care about winning and if you want to beat them you have to operate like they do. That's if you truly want to operate like they do. This isn't about Gordon, it's about being willing to take risks.

I will make you a bet, if he can stay healthy Cajuste will be better than both of the OT's the Texans drafted in 3 yrs. Cajuste is unlikely to play much this yr while he heals up from injuries. Just another example of a forward thinking org vs what the Texans org does.

People on this MB will be asking how the Pats always seem to get these really good OL like Thuney/Cannon/Andrews etc.... the reason why is they take calculated risks. Unlike what the Texans org does. It's also the reason they find talented OL later in the draft. Look for Cajuste's career to follow the path of Cannon's career.

Adding guys with checkered pasts shows that they only care about winning and if you want to beat them you have to operate like they do. That's if you truly want to operate like they do. This isn't about Gordon, it's about being willing to take risks.

I will make you a bet, if he can stay healthy Cajuste will be better than both of the OT's the Texans drafted in 3 yrs. Cajuste is unlikely to play much this yr while he heals up from injuries. Just another example of a forward thinking org vs what the Texans org does.

People on this MB will be asking how the Pats always seem to get these really good OL like Thuney/Cannon/Andrews etc.... the reason why is they take calculated risks. Unlike what the Texans org does. It's also the reason they find talented OL later in the draft. Look for Cajuste's career to follow the path of Cannon's career.
Better coaching is why the Pats are always doing that. Look how good the Texans OL was when one of the best OL coaches ever was coaching them, in Alex Gibbs. BB the HC is >than BB the GM. That goes along way towards making him look better than he is as a GM.

Better coaching is why the Pats are always doing that. Look how good the Texans OL was when one of the best OL coaches ever was coaching them, in Alex Gibbs. BB the HC is >than BB the GM. That goes along way towards making him look better than he is as a GM.

Agreed, but they always seem to find and take chances on guys like Cannon/Cajuste that are talented but fall in the draft due to injury/character/illness.

The Texans need to start operating the way the Pats do if they truly want to emulate the Pats org and they currently haven't been doing this.

Agreed, but they always seem to find and take chances on guys like Cannon/Cajuste that are talented but fall in the draft due to injury/character/illness.

The Texans need to start operating the way the Pats do if they truly want to emulate the Pats org and they currently haven't been doing this.
As I stated before, if they want to emulate the Pats, they need to lure BB away from them and bring him to the Texans. OB will never be as good as BB. Superior coaching allows NE to take those risks and, with the skins BB has on the wall, he has much more leeway when it doesn't work out.

There's no doubt that the Pats are by a very large margin the best NFL organization of the 21st century but we will never know for obvious reasons how much of that is because of BB or just the teams incredibly good fortune, nothing but dumb luck really to have one Tom Brady on their roster for so many years as they have ?

There's no doubt that the Pats are by a very large margin the best NFL organization of the 21st century but we will never know for obvious reasons how much of that is because of BB or just the teams incredibly good fortune, nothing but dumb luck really to have one Tom Brady on their roster for so many years as they have ?
You don't get lucky for 20 years. BB has done it in just about every way possible, scheme-wise, on both sides of the ball. There's a reason his coaching tree doesn't fare so well outside of NE.

As I stated before, if they want to emulate the Pats, they need to lure BB away from them and bring him to the Texans. OB will never be as good as BB. Superior coaching allows NE to take those risks and, with the skins BB has on the wall, he has much more leeway when it doesn't work out.

BOB appears to finally have this leeway, except Cletus will probably put restrictions on the types of players he can acquire and the money he's allowed to spend.

BOB appears to finally have this leeway, except Cletus will probably put restrictions on the types of players he can acquire and the money he's allowed to spend.
And Cletus should until OB earns the right to be given BB type authority/leeway. OB has done squat to show that he has an inkling BBs ability to coach or obtain personnel. In fact, I'd say he's proven the exact opposite.

And Cletus should until OB earns the right to be given BB type authority/leeway. OB has done squat to show that he has an inkling BBs ability to coach or obtain personnel. In fact, I'd say he's proven the exact opposite.

Going back to the we don't know how much influence RS had in personnel.

I'm a believer in hiring someone and letting them do their jobs. Now there is no doubt who is in charge of personnel.

Having Cletus in charge should tell you all you need to know about where the Texans org is headed. The man has no balls. Sad too because the Texans are only about 4-5 players away from being contenders but Cletus won't spend the $$$$.

The arrogance of the Texans org is astounding.

Last edited:
Going back to the we don't know how much influence RS had in personnel.

I'm a believer in hiring someone and letting them do their jobs. Now there is no doubt who is in charge of personnel.

Having Cletus in charge should tell you all you need to know about where the Texans org is headed. The man has no balls. Sad too because the Texans are only about 4-5 players away from being contenders but Cletus won't spend the $$$$.

The arrogance of the Texans org is astounding.
There is all kinds of doubt as to who is in charge of personnel. It's done by freaking committee, the absolute best way to cloud who made what call and also the best way to get nothing done.

The arrogance of the Texans org is astounding

Irony.

Back