Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to the Texans, OT Laremy Tunsil.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Wasn't the discussion Tunsil's penalties?
Yes, but Tunsil can be capable of all kinds of penalties. They all have different consequences at times. Holding, False Start, unneccesary Roughness, and etc. All of these things can have different outcomes if a flag is pulled.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Yes, but Tunsil can be capable of all kinds of penalties. They all have different consequences at times. Holding, False Start, unneccesary Roughness, and etc. All of these things can have different outcomes if a flag is pulled.
In all fairness the increase in flags from Miami to Houston is double from his last years in Miami. The amount of penalties he is getting now is out of the norm. He is being targeted or something else. Devlin.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
But none result in a loss of down, which was steelbtexan's response.

What penalty can an offensive lineman commit that would result in a loss of down?

badboy

Hall of Fame
I still don't understand how you have 4 pass rushers, but the 5 OL only blocks three of them... allowing one to go free at the QB. How is that the way it was drawn up??? Serious question. Did Alexander or Kirwan mention anything?
I think it's because Clark and Fulton are terrible blockers. All season it seems like opponents are running through and around Clark. As I am an optimist We should be better as hopefully those two will be gone next year. I think Watson is also better and should progress next season also. I see no evidence that play calling by our coaches will improve as it does not seem to have from last season. 2 of 3 areas of concern should improve. Dare I hope that O'Brien in 2020 will allow number 4 to make more decisions on the field?

badboy

Hall of Fame
I looked for the podcast the day you originally posted, but couldn't find it. I'll try again.

But if the OL screws up, and there's a sack because Watson doesn't throw the ball away, I don't see how that should remove at least partial blame on the OL???
For me it depends on how long Watson has the ball to do something with it and what he does with it.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
What's crazy to me is how people have such a hard time realizing that Tunsil's penalties are just like giving up sacks. You're taking a loss of yardage on offense and putting the team in a much more difficult position to sustain the drive. The only difference is that the QB isn't getting hit, but there is still a loss of yards that takes place which is the same thing as a sack as far as negative yardage goes.
A sack comes with a loss of yardage and a loss of down.

A penalty usually doesn't come with the loss of down.

Yeah , losing yards sucks and puts your offense behind the 8 ball …. but losing yards and a down is considerably worse.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans

Yeah , losing yards sucks and puts your offense behind the 8 ball …. but losing yards and a down is considerably worse.
......especially this ultra conservative offense. This offense isn't designed to overcome any down and long. I'm really hoping that OB pulls the wraps off this offense and goes up-tempo in order to set up the run.

Reactions: ROO

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame

Yall need to cease with these lame manspanations for penalties. They are similar and again, it depends on what the penalty is. Tunsil led the league in penalties. That's terrible.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
No one is disputing that, only your stipulation that a false start was as bad as a sack
How about quoting what I actually said instead of cha ging what I said to fit an argument. I said "penalties". I never once specified false starts by itself. You and others did to fit that narrative.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
How about quoting what I actually said instead of cha ging what I said to fit an argument. I said "penalties". I never once specified false starts by itself. You and others did to fit that narrative.
The conversation (that iirc correctly you brought up) was Tunsil's penalties and you said something to the effect that Tunsil's penalties were as bad as sacks.

Don't hide

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
The conversation (that iirc correctly you brought up) was Tunsil's penalties and you said something to the effect that Tunsil's penalties were as bad as sacks.

Don't hide
Naw son, you're changing things around to make a lame defense for a stupid trade. One last time I said "Penalties." You can go argue about false starts specifically all you want, but dont waste my time quoting me on it and applying it to me. My post is on this page. You just failed to read it correctly the first time, and are to hard headed to acknowledge it. The fact that you and others are trying to spin penalties or false starts or whatever other situation that causes negative yards as not being that bad is loser's fan mentality. Unfortunately, that has plagued this fan base for a long time of creating a a climate where people make a lot of excuses for coaches and upper management.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Naw son, you're changing things around to make a lame defense for a stupid trade. One last time I said "Penalties." You can go argue about false starts specifically all you want, but dont waste my time quoting me on it and applying it to me. My post is on this page. You just failed to read it correctly the first time, and are to hard headed to acknowledge it. The fact that you and others are trying to spin penalties or false starts or whatever other situation that causes negative yards as not being that bad is loser's fan mentality. Unfortunately, that has plagued this fan base for a long time of creating a a climate where people make a lot of excuses for coaches and upper management.
Read your posts fool, no one else is blind here. Ignore what you said if you want, but no one else does

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Read your posts fool, no one else is blind here. Ignore what you said if you want, but no one else does
Are you really this dense? My original post was this right here. I never once mentioned false starts to it. You're just obsessed with that part for your own reasons which is downright bizarre at this point.

What's crazy to me is how people have such a hard time realizing that Tunsil's penalties are just like giving up sacks. You're taking a loss of yardage on offense and putting the team in a much more difficult position to sustain the drive. The only difference is that the QB isn't getting hit, but there is still a loss of yards that takes place which is the same thing as a sack as far as negative yardage goes.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
I said from the beginning I can't say if we gave up too much or not until the end of the season.

I'm not flipping, the season is over.
The only way yo justify it would have been a trip to the SB, and even that would have been questionable considering how many sacks and penalties he gave up. We could have addressed this in the off season. Texans were 10-6 last season.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The only way yo justify it would have been a trip to the SB, and even that would have been questionable considering how many sacks and penalties he gave up. We could have addressed this in the off season. Texans were 10-6 last season.
I think we conceded that the last four offseasons have been failures.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Are you really this dense? My original post was this right here. I never once mentioned false starts to it. You're just obsessed with that part for your own reasons which is downright bizarre at this point.
What other penalties is Tunsil giving up? The rare holding? And how is any of that akin to giving up a sack? Speaking of delusional, you're there

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Gotta get a new OL coach for sure.

The entire team from BOB to the waterboy needs to go. 51-7
This stuff is kinda why I also felt a certain regret last season once I saw they were on the 8 game winning streak that they were in the middle of in where they kept going. I knew that OB had saved his job from such an awful start, and that other failures would come around later and more time would get wasted. O'Brien just isn't going to ever be good enough and when you know that already, it doesn't leave as much passion for you to have for the team until that poison is gone. I think OB probably works extremely hard and is dedicated and all, but he just isn't SB HC material.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This stuff is kinda why I also felt a certain regret last season once I saw they were on the 8 game winning streak that they were in the middle of in where they kept going. I knew that OB had saved his job from such an awful start, and that other failures would come around later and more time would get wasted. O'Brien just isn't going to ever be good enough and when you know that already, it doesn't leave as much passion for you to have for the team until that poison is gone. I think OB probably works extremely hard and is dedicated and all, but he just isn't SB HC material.
I felt this way about Ricky, except the working hard part. I currently feel they wont win a SB with DW4 at QB and along with BOB the team is just wasting time.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
TUNSILITIS bout to get paid!!!!! He should ask for 25Ms per year!! LOL
With the position that the Texans put him in negotiating wise he certainly can.

Hell he could hold out and really embarrass them and put them in tight spot. I'd laugh so freaking hard.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
They aren't going to let him walk after they gave up so much.

They'll have to pay his demands, whatever they are pretty much.
True.

That’s another negative of doing a mega trade like that for a player who’s contract will be up soon.

Tunsil and his agent both know the Texans don’t want to lose him or have a holdout situation again.

He’s gonna get major cash.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
True.

That’s another negative of doing a mega trade like that for a player who’s contract will be up soon.

Tunsil and his agent both know the Texans don’t want to lose him or have a holdout situation again.

He’s gonna get major cash.
Good young players always get paid on their second contact. Tunsil won't be the exception to this rule. Only difference is that they gave up draft capital to get him to protect DW4'S blindside.

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
He was always going to get major cash trade or not, stay in Miami and if they don't make him the highest-paid LT in the league, go to free agency and be the highest paid LT in the league (like every decent Tackle that has hit the market in the last few years).

He was traded to the Texans and now the same scenario exists - sign with the Texans as the highest-paid LT or hit the market and be the highest paid LT etc. etc.

Not a fan of most of what Bob does - but don't see this one as a miss, we wanted/needed better LT play and we got it. Tunsil has us over no more of a barrel than any quality offensive linemen holds the league over a barrel every year. Average guys get above-average deals every year in free agency and above-average talent gets stupid deals. It is the way the league works now.

The guy was always going to get stupid money - from someone, still will. Texans have as much leverage as any team does for any draft pick.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Good young players always get paid on their second contact. Tunsil won't be the exception to this rule. Only difference is that they gave up draft capital to get him to protect DW4'S blindside.
Which was and will continue to be a mistake. That trade will haunt the franchise for years.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
He was always going to get major cash trade or not, stay in Miami and if they don't make him the highest-paid LT in the league, go to free agency and be the highest paid LT in the league (like every decent Tackle that has hit the market in the last few years).

He was traded to the Texans and now the same scenario exists - sign with the Texans as the highest-paid LT or hit the market and be the highest paid LT etc. etc.

Not a fan of most of what Bob does - but don't see this one as a miss, we wanted/needed better LT play and we got it. Tunsil has us over no more of a barrel than any quality offensive linemen holds the league over a barrel every year. Average guys get above-average deals every year in free agency and above-average talent gets stupid deals. It is the way the league works now.

The guy was always going to get stupid money - from someone, still will. Texans have as much leverage as any team does for any draft pick.
You don't really understand leverage and how it works for players around the league. For the last time (I wish people would stop forcing a few of us to explain this) the Texans should have resigned him the minute they made the trade. Leaving this out there looming gives him and his agent a lot more leverage to peel out several more Million dollars each season that could go to other players, because they know the Texans aren't going to be stupid enough to let him walk after they gave up the farm for him. So what you have is a player that wasn't worth those draft picks to begin with, and now a salary that he won't be worth either even for what he would have likely gotten as you put it. What the Texans will have to pay him based on the leverage they have, he damn sure won't be worth that.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Which was and will continue to be a mistake. That trade will haunt the franchise for years.
Two 1sts (Which is what they really paid) is the going rate for a top LT who's 25 yrs old. You would have to use that much to trade up to get a LT in the draft that's as good as Tunsil. Unless you just dont think Tunsil is that good. Which if that's the case we will have to agree to disagree.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Two 1sts (Which is what they really paid) is the going rate for a top LT who's 25 yrs old. You would have to use that much to trade up to get a LT in the draft that's as good as Tunsil. Unless you just dont think Tunsil is that good. Which if that's the case we will have to agree to disagree.
Not the going rate at all.

Show me the examples of when other teams paid that amount for a trade for a LT. I've asked this question since it was made and no one can, because no one has ever done it before.

I have no idea why you're still supporting it either, since you feel that Watson is damaged goods any way. Why would that have been smart to protect a QB that we went 10-6 under the season prior to this year without Tunsil, and he can't help Watson any way?

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
You don't really understand leverage and how it works for players around the league. For the last time (I wish people would stop forcing a few of us to explain this) the Texans should have resigned him the minute they made the trade. Leaving this out there looming gives him and his agent a lot more leverage to peel out several more Million dollars each season that could go to other players, because they know the Texans aren't going to be stupid enough to let him walk after they gave up the farm for him. So what you have is a player that wasn't worth those draft picks to begin with, and now a salary that he won't be worth either even for what he would have likely gotten as you put it. What the Texans will have to pay him based on the leverage they have, he damn sure won't be worth that.
Exactly. He was always going to get paid. For sure.

But he can play hardball with his contract and get more than he might've gotten if he wasnt traded for two firsts or if they'd have resigned him earlier.

I think Tunsil did say he wanted to wait though which is smart in his part.