Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston, Tyrod Taylor

Texazan

Our HOF 34
Based on the cap figures alone the Texans are roughly over by $3MM - $5MM and if they planned to trade DW4 that would put them OVER by approx $14MM - $15MM (could be as high as $20MM). My guess is Texans are now planning on Watson sitting for a while. I'm not sure where they can find the money to trade Watson. It will be painful if they do. The cap now appears to be in Dire Straits.
Fulton and Dunnn are probably gone tomorrow so NC will shave some $6MM more off the cap there.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don’t see how it means Watson is gone, at least this year. I haven’t seen any updated cap numbers yet, but I heard on the radio today that they were somewhere around 1.8M remaining. And that was before Taylor was on the radar.

Sounds to me like they’re planning on digging in and riding this thing out with Watson.
Cutting or trading Roby would free up quite a bit of room. There are other ways to create room.

Jack Burton

Veteran
Cutting or trading Roby would free up quite a bit of room. There are other ways to create room.
I think teams are lowballing Caserio on Watson. Why not.
I don’t even think Caserio was even talking to them up until recently, as he was working on a bigger trade. He still might be.
However, they will soon start throwing more at him as we near the draft, and if Watson isn’t traded by draft day, it will really get crazy.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I think we all knew he was gone when this all started. The damage is done, just like he wanted. I hope he's a happy guy, pfft. Hopefully NC keeping it under wraps has gotten the bid pot stirred real well....
No when this all started almost everyone said it was crazy to discuss DeShaun Watson being traded. No way no how. Most said it was stupid I repeat stupid to even consider any kind of trade discussion.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Still not quite sure why everyone seems to enjoy the inevitable departure of DW4 from the team, but doesn’t really hold the team somewhat responsible for him wanting to go, but to each their own I suppose. Tyrod Taylor can be serviceable for a year or so while the new kid, whoever that ends up being, sits and learns. I like the signing.
What?! There has been like 10 million post about how Cal is an idiot, easterby is the devil and there have been tons of Instagram, tweets, whatever you call them calling the team everything but a football organization.

badboy

Hall of Fame
It started off with Cal and Easterby receiving a majority of the blame but it's flipped a little against Watson as time dragged on without him addressing the issue with the fans.

Out of all the moves the Texans have made over the last week, this one may be the one that moves the needle the most in getting the two parties together. To me, this move gives me the most hope that Watson remains with the team and the offense will be able to pick up where it left off. I still feel that is the fastest route to being a playoff team again.
I don't get your point of view. How does Tyrod Taylor on the team make Watson want to play here? DeShawn would expect to start all 16 games. I guess if he played say 10 or 12 games and they were 10 and 0 or 12 and O and he went out it would be good to have a backup to keep the team in the playoffs but that just doesn't seem
To be Watson today.
Tyrod cannot catch a pass or block for Deshon and I see watson just shaking his head again.

banned1976

sleeper mode
No when this all started almost everyone said it was crazy to discuss DeShaun Watson being traded. No way no how. Most said it was stupid I repeat stupid to even consider any kind of trade discussion.
Trading a quarterback that is one of the best in the league and about to hit his prime just because he got his feelings hurt? It is a crazy idea. And I feel not worth my time discussing.

I hope you don't get your wish. If you do, the Texans and their fans will regret it for a very, very long time.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Trading a quarterback that is one of the best in the league and about to hit his prime just because he got his feelings hurt? It is a crazy idea. And I feel not worth my time discussing.

I hope you don't get your wish. If you do, the Texans and their fans will regret it for a very, very long time.
I regret being 4 and 12 with supposedly a top 3-5 NFL quarterback

Texian

Hall of Fame
A great part of the tank.
A great part of the tank is all these bottom of the barrel signings would not get signed by any other team if they weren't signed by the Texans. The bad news is they may have backed themselves into a corner where they cannot trade DW4. The good news is culture in the locker room is going to be fantastic from a religious point of view. I understand they may have a $20 cuss jar where each time you cuss it will cost you $20.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
I should've clarified. I meant when DW officially told the team he wanted to be traded, that was the final shot to tell me and I'm sure many other fans this isn't going to be reconciled. You were not crazy and I read most all your posts regarding trade scenarios and enjoyed them.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I regret being 4 and 12 with supposedly a top 3-5 NFL quarterback
How many games did Deshaun Watson cost the Texans in the 2020 season? And another question, and you should know the answer to this one since you enjoy the draft so much. What are the odds in any given year that a player selected in the first round becomes an All Pro or multi pro-bowler at his position?

You're eager to pass on the big money in the envelope for what's behind curtain #2. More often than not, the object behind the curtain is a box of crayons or a blow-up T-Rex doll in a grass hula skirt. Me, I take the money every time.

I feel strongly that Watson will start games for the Texans again. Hopefully it's in 2021 but I have full confidence in Tyrod Taylor to fill in admirably when and as needed.

badboy

Hall of Fame
How many games did Deshaun Watson cost the Texans in the 2020 season? And another question, and you should know the answer to this one since you enjoy the draft so much. What are the odds in any given year that a player selected in the first round becomes an All Pro or multi pro-bowler at his position?

You're eager to pass on the big money in the envelope for what's behind curtain #2. More often than not, the object behind the curtain is a box of crayons or a blow-up T-Rex doll in a grass hula skirt. Me, I take the money every time.

I feel strongly that Watson will start games for the Texans again. Hopefully it's in 2021 but I have full confidence in Tyrod Taylor to fill in admirably when and as needed.
Here we go again! It's not about Watson as I have stated repeatedly. he wants out. I have also stated there is not a quarterback in the draft that compares to him. But that's not what a trade would be about is it? It's about the other players / draft picks we can get for Deshaun Watson.

Watson and this roster as of today doesn't get you better than 8 and 8 in my opinion. A trade Haul could get you a starting quarterback and three other starters; perhaps another vet.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Here we go again! It's not about Watson as I have stated repeatedly. he wants out. I have also stated there is not a quarterback in the draft that compares to him. But that's not what a trade would be about is it? It's about the other players / draft picks we can get for Deshaun Watson.

Watson and this roster as of today doesn't get you better than 8 and 8 in my opinion. A trade Haul could get you a starting quarterback and three other starters; perhaps another vet.
You know where I stand. I've said since the very beginning I didn't think Watson would, or should be traded and I still don't. That's why I avoid engaging you in this conversation. We are in complete disagreement on what to do about Watson and how to build the team. No sense in responding to each other.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I wish we would stop with the record predictions when you haven’t seen any games with this unit and new coaching staff. I understand the point of view but let’s not dress it up or down with any predictions right now.
If I am going to be asked how many games Watson cost us I feel free to discuss wins and losses with this roster

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
What happens if Watson is really ready to dig in his heels and never play for the Texans, consequences be damned? Every word from his proxies is that's what he's planning to do.

The Texans should have a contingency plan if that happens, which I figure Taylor is solid enough to start for a season. They're probably going to suck anyway - it's a rebuild regardless of what they say - so he's serviceable.

It's going to be amusing if they can win 4 or more game with Taylor next season, all things considered. :tv: Funny to me at least

badboy

Hall of Fame
You know where I stand. I've said since the very beginning I didn't think Watson would, or should be traded and I still don't. That's why I avoid engaging you in this conversation. We are in complete disagreement on what to do about Watson and how to build the team. No sense in responding to each other.
For someone who avoids engaging with me you sure have engaged a lot in the last hour. Lol

chicagotexan2

Easterby = Little Finger/Cal = Fredo Corleone
Well thanks for the memories Watson.

now I’m ok with Watson sitting out and the team trading him next season
But if they move him before the draft that’s fine too as long as they get the biggest haul. What sucks is resetting with give this regime more leeway and an excuse when they suck and I’m betting they will indeed suck.

TexansThunder

Waterboy
A great part of the tank is all these bottom of the barrel signings would not get signed by any other team if they weren't signed by the Texans. The bad news is they may have backed themselves into a corner where they cannot trade DW4. The good news is culture in the locker room is going to be fantastic from a religious point of view. I understand they may have a $20 cuss jar where each time you cuss it will cost you $20.
Jack Easterby might know God, he sure doesn’t know football. There are players, coaches and executives that are deeply committed to their faith; their football IQ is astronomically higher than Easterby’s.

Easterby is arguably the worst sports executive in the world. His faith served him well in New England - he was suited for that role. While he may be a saint as a character coach, he is a demon as a personnel executive.

Cal set the franchise up for failure when he anointed Easterby with an executive role. Easterby does not have the football aptitude to manage the team.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If they have trouble trading DW4 it wont be because of this.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

I don't think anybody wants him to be traded. I think we'd all prefer he play out his career here. It just doesn't look like Watson wants to do that, even though he just signed a contract that would keep him around for a while.

If they trade him, of course it won't be good around here for possibly a very long time. Hell, it took 16 years to get Watson. But if he's dead set on never suiting up again, you've eventually got to take advantage of his worth and help your football team move on.

I personally don't think that will happen this year. It doesn't look to me like they're setting themselves up to take on the extra cap hit in trading him before the draft. Yeah, they can still massage the cap to make it work, it just doesn't look to me like that's the road they're taking. I don't think it would be smart to move him after the draft because you don't know next year's draft positions. I think this plays out until at least next off-season. And that also gives you that much time to maybe convince him to stay.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't think anybody wants him to be traded. I think we'd all prefer he play out his career here. It just doesn't look like Watson wants to do that, even though he just signed a contract that would keep him around for a while.

If they trade him, of course it won't be good around here for possibly a very long time. Hell, it took 16 years to get Watson. But if he's dead set on never suiting up again, you've eventually got to take advantage of his worth and help your football team move on.

I personally don't think that will happen this year. It doesn't look to me like they're setting themselves up to take on the extra cap hit in trading him before the draft. Yeah, they can still massage the cap to make it work, it just doesn't look to me like that's the road they're taking. I don't think it would be smart to move him after the draft because you don't know next year's draft positions. I think this plays out until at least next off-season. And that also gives you that much time to maybe convince him to stay.
I'm somebody that wants his azz out of here.

TripleTap

Dead Wood
I think I think dept: Watson is not a QB who can carry the team. I give you 4 & 12. He’s very good, and very entertaining, but can’t do it alone, and hasn’t proven that he can do it with a good supporting cast (cause he hasn’t had one). I think we should sell him and build the team, win with the team and a solid (not necessarily great) QB. Outside of Brady and Peyton the ‘franchise’ hero QB’s don’t always win everything alone (and Brady takes his troops with him, apparently).

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Based on the cap figures alone the Texans are roughly over by $3MM - $5MM and if they planned to trade DW4 that would put them OVER by approx $14MM - $15MM (could be as high as $20MM). My guess is Texans are now planning on Watson sitting for a while. I'm not sure where they can find the money to trade Watson. It will be painful if they do. The cap now appears to be in Dire Straits.
I wonder if the McNair’s are looking to set Watson up to be in breach of contract?

We, as fans, think of the cap ramifications first and foremost. But the McNair’s have paid him many millions of real $ which he is now refusing to play on.

Culley was involved in a specific offense in Baltimore that Tyrod Taylor seems to fit into, they’ve bulked up the OL to run behind, done what they can with the D.

The Texans are in as good a position as they could be to wait Watson out.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

I don't know Banned, that T-Rex is awful tempting, the fact that it has its own hula skirt just really puts it over the top.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Jack Easterby might know God, he sure doesn’t know football. There are players, coaches and executives that are deeply committed to their faith; their football IQ is astronomically higher than Easterby’s.

Easterby is arguably the worst sports executive in the world. His faith served him well in New England - he was suited for that role. While he may be a saint as a character coach, he is a demon as a personnel executive.

Cal set the franchise up for failure when he anointed Easterby with an executive role. Easterby does not have the football aptitude to manage the team.
We're lucky then that Easterby isn't managing the team, Caserio is.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

Agreed, it also could give Watson a chance to see what losing all that money is really like. It's easy to say you don't care about the money until you actually start to lose it.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Could they do an Osweiler style trade to New England? Maybe Merci and a 4th? They are well beneath the cap.
Anything is possible, I guess.
But that kinda defeat the purpose, doesn't it?
Maybe they'll do something like this:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Culley was involved in a specific offense in Baltimore that Tyrod Taylor seems to fit into, they’ve bulked up the OL to run behind, done what they can with the D.
I don't like the that they signed Taylor & he is not Lamar Jackson. But I do agree if we can get the run game going Taylor would be aiight in that offense.

Hardcore Texan

Magnet Man
I don’t see how it means Watson is gone, at least this year. I haven’t seen any updated cap numbers yet, but I heard on the radio today that they were somewhere around 1.8M remaining. And that was before Taylor was on the radar.

Sounds to me like they’re planning on digging in and riding this thing out with Watson.
Agreed. I didn't understand those statements either. He is a solid insurance policy.