Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston, Tyrod Taylor

Toro Bravo

Rookie
I like this signing. Great backup and adequate starter who doesn't turn the ball over.

Wrong thread. This was supposed to be in Tyrod Taylor thread

Last edited:

JWTexans

Waterboy
Still not quite sure why everyone seems to enjoy the inevitable departure of DW4 from the team, but doesn’t really hold the team somewhat responsible for him wanting to go, but to each their own I suppose. Tyrod Taylor can be serviceable for a year or so while the new kid, whoever that ends up being, sits and learns. I like the signing.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Still not quite sure why everyone seems to enjoy the inevitable departure of DW4 from the team, but doesn’t really hold the team somewhat responsible for him wanting to go, but to each their own I suppose. Tyrod Taylor can be serviceable for a year or so while the new kid, whoever that ends up being, sits and learns. I like the signing.
Who says we aren’t? Fact is, whatever happens, the Texans will still be playing football in 2021.

banned1976

sleeper mode
It started off with Cal and Easterby receiving a majority of the blame but it's flipped a little against Watson as time dragged on without him addressing the issue with the fans.

Out of all the moves the Texans have made over the last week, this one may be the one that moves the needle the most in getting the two parties together. To me, this move gives me the most hope that Watson remains with the team and the offense will be able to pick up where it left off. I still feel that is the fastest route to being a playoff team again.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Many players have been "screwed" by their FO in the past (although none with a $160 million severance package)..............and they still managed to stay classy, carry on with their team mates, and rise above it despite the "injustice."

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
There's an entire thread on this topic and if you dont understand after reading that thread you never will. I will make this easy to understand and move on so another thread doesn't get derailed.

Input doesn't= final say.

Texansballer74

The Marine
It started off with Cal and Easterby receiving a majority of the blame but it's flipped a little against Watson as time dragged on without him addressing the issue with the fans.

Out of all the moves the Texans have made over the last week, this one may be the one that moves the needle the most in getting the two parties together. To me, this move gives me the most hope that Watson remains with the team and the offense will be able to pick up where it left off. I still feel that is the fastest route to being a playoff team again.

Bingo bingo bingo.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I like the signing

Has played in the offense and is a great person/mentor for a young QB. Has proven as a starter that he can take a team to the playoffs. Not a championship level QB but the best backup QB on the market. (Yes, he's better than Fitzmagic)

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
If Watson is upset with Texans hiring policymakers, player selections etc that resulted in a bad losing season he has to take some of the responsibility for that - it's not all on the FO and coaches as they aren't on the field.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Based on the cap figures alone the Texans are roughly over by $3MM - $5MM and if they planned to trade DW4 that would put them OVER by approx $14MM - $15MM (could be as high as $20MM). My guess is Texans are now planning on Watson sitting for a while. I'm not sure where they can find the money to trade Watson. It will be painful if they do. The cap now appears to be in Dire Straits.

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
Texans are never ever going to get fair value for Watson. 25 year old top 5 QB just now entering his prime and under contract for 5 more years? No team is going to give up the package required for that player because it would destroy their roster and nullify the move.

Dig in your heels and start Taylor if/when Watson sits out. Watson has no leverage. If he wanted to leave he shouldn't have signed the contract.

Texans went 4-12 with him last year. If he sits out then you try to compete but more likely end up collecting picks while recouping money from him. If he sits out entire year his contract tolls over and we start all over again.

There is nothing to lose by standing firm since you won't be getting fair value for the player anyway.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

Disagree.
If Watson sees himself as the starter, Taylor won't see the field.
I think addressing the oline is a big positive move as is acquiring a strong talent in the return game and an upgrade at RB.
If they can bring Fuller back that will also help.

Texian

Hall of Fame
To put this in perspective salary wise, last year they signed A. J. McCarron for $4MM. This year they sign Tyrod for 3X as much.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Texans are never ever going to get fair value for Watson. 25 year old top 5 QB just now entering his prime and under contract for 5 more years? No team is going to give up the package required for that player because it would destroy their roster and nullify the move.

Dig in your heels and start Taylor if/when Watson sits out. Watson has no leverage. If he wanted to leave he shouldn't have signed the contract.

Texans went 4-12 with him last year. If he sits out then you try to compete but more likely end up collecting picks while recouping money from him. If he sits out entire year his contract tolls over and we start all over again.

There is nothing to lose by standing firm since you won't be getting fair value for the player anyway.
Good point.
I would add that if he wants to win that badly, he will realize he can't do that from the bench. Better to start at the beginning of the season than having to eat humble pie and ask to start during it.

Texian

Hall of Fame
It's $6M base with the rest built in incentives in the likely scenario he starts while Watson pouts about 'justice' from his million dollar mansion.
Pretty much what I said in earlier post, cap wise Texans have pretty much locked themselves in to that position.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Based on the cap figures alone the Texans are roughly over by $3MM - $5MM and if they planned to trade DW4 that would put them OVER by approx $14MM - $15MM (could be as high as $20MM). My guess is Texans are now planning on Watson sitting for a while. I'm not sure where they can find the money to trade Watson. It will be painful if they do. The cap now appears to be in Dire Straits.
A great part of the tank.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
To put this in perspective salary wise, last year they signed A. J. McCarron for $4MM. This year they sign Tyrod for 3X as much.
Only 6 mil as a backup. For a guy that knows the new offense when DW4 sits out or traded. Only 12 mil if Tyrod is the starter and earns his most likely to be earned incentives.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I don’t see how it means Watson is gone, at least this year. I haven’t seen any updated cap numbers yet, but I heard on the radio today that they were somewhere around 1.8M remaining. And that was before Taylor was on the radar.

Sounds to me like they’re planning on digging in and riding this thing out with Watson.