Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Terrance Mitchell

Player Review.
Game 1 vs. Ravens, lost 6-38
Subjective Grade: B
Played RCB
Not a glaring problem, but not a solution either.
Looked better than anything the Texans had last year, but wasn't really challenged.
Played both in zone and man (including press and off-man).
Played fairly physical and mostly close to the vest, but did give up some cushion once in a while.
Made a couple of good, solid tackles away from his man.
Allowed a couple of short passes, one for the first down on third and 7.
Another pass right at the goal line was thrown short; it would have been interesting to see if he could have defended that pass.
Got washed out and couldn't set the edge on one run after a short pass (not his man), allowing a first down
Similarly, couldn't get there in time on a TD run; the blocking ahead of him was inadequate, but he didn't make a play like those we saw from Kareem or Mathieu now and then.
In a big loss like that, a B grade doesn't sound harsh.

Game 5 vs. Colts, won 32-23
Played RCB
Strangely hardly involved in the game even though he was out there the whole time (56 snaps)
Lined up against TY Hilton for the most part in the first half.
Committed a 5-yd holding penalty.
Allowed a short 1-yd pass that.
Other than that, it was boring watching his side of the field.
The ball just didn't go that way much, even in the running game.
Grade: Incomplete.

Last edited:
Game 2, won a shootout vs. Bengals 35-30
On paper, Mitchell allowed just 5 passes on 13 targets for 56 yards and 1 TD
Played 91 snaps at RCB.

114:54110CIN 39Joe Burrow pass incomplete deep left intended for A.J. Green
Played off-man in single safety vs. Green.

Lost a step, but AJG couldn't keep both feet in bound on the almost-catch.
That one would have gone 33 yards; ouch.

18:42110CLE 14Joe Burrow pass incomplete short middle intended for A.J. Green
The pass was way over Green. Would have been interesting to see if Mitchell can do something from the trail position there.

Cover 3 from RCB .

211:0926CIN 47Joe Burrow pass complete short left to Joe Mixon for 5 yards (tackle by Sione Takitaki and Larry Ogunjobi)
Failed to set the edge and missed the tackle on the swing pass; saved by his teammates.

29:48110CLE 41Joe Burrow pass incomplete deep left intended for John Ross (defended by Terrance Mitchell)
Defended the play well. Was in step with the receiver all the way to break up the pass.

29:06110CLE 23Joe Burrow pass complete deep left to C.J. Uzomah for 23 yards, touchdown
Played RCB in a 52 zone.

The no. 1 (X) receiver ran a quick in from the sideline toward the middle.
The no. 2 (Z) receiver ran a wheel route from the right slot out to the sideline (going past Mitchell).
I believe he should have carried that route.
The receiver was wide open down the sideline for the easy TD before the safety can come over.
(He was temporarily occupied by the no. 3 receiver (the TE).
Likely a mistake by Mitchell here.

21:26110CIN 36Joe Burrow pass complete short left to C.J. Uzomah for 6 yards (tackled by Malcolm Smith and Terrance Mitchell)
Quick pass into the 52 zone.

Not much Mitchell can do here as the receiver found the hole between two defenders.

20:12210CLE 25Joe Burrow pass incomplete deep left intended for A.J. Green (defended by Terrance Mitchell)
With little time left on the clock, the Browns played deep cover 4.

Mitchell played back deep. The pass was slightly short; no chance for Green in the end zone.
Still a pass breakup for Mitchell on the last play of the half.

35:09110CLE 25Joe Burrow pass incomplete short left intended for Tee Higgins (defended by Terrance Mitchell)
Tight coverage.

Good pass break up by Mitchell here.

32:53110CLE 13Joe Mixon left tackle for 5 yards (tackled by Terrance Mitchell)
Decent play by Mitchell on the run here.

5CIN 48Joe Burrow pass incomplete short middle intended for A.J. Green
Pass not catchable. Mitchell was right there.

5CIN 48Joe Burrow pass incomplete short middle intended for A.J. Green
Mitchell got beat on the quick in route.

The safety came up, and the pass was slightly behind; uncatchable pass.

43:55110CIN 25Joe Burrow pass incomplete short left intended for Giovani Bernard
Receiver dropped the ball.

Good awareness by Mitchell to come in from his position in the flat (zone) to make sure he can tackle the WR had he caught the ball (4-5 yards gain max); it wasn't his responsibility in the short hook.
The Browns started to play a soft zone, leading by 12.

41:2641CLE 29Joe Burrow pass complete short left to Mike Thomas for 10 yards (tackle by Tavierre Thomas)
Throw to the soft spot in the flat;

Mitchell missed the tackle; Tavierre came over to save him and bring the receiver down.

An uneven game for Mitchell; not sure what grade to give him.

Tavierre Thomas allowed 9 of 10 for 71 yards
Played 76 snaps, mostly in the slot.

114:49210CIN 39Joe Burrow pass complete short right to Tyler Boyd for 10 yards (tackle by Andrew Sendejo)
Gave up too much cushion. Missed the initial tackle; got help from the safety; jumped back up to help.

113:3628CLE 49Joe Burrow pass complete short right to Mike Thomas for 3 yards (tackled by Tavierre Thomas)
Gave up some cushion, but reverted back for a solid tackle.

112:26110CLE 39Joe Burrow pass complete short right to Giovani Bernard for 3 yards (tackled by Tavierre Thomas)
Abandoned his outside zone in the flat, but recovered quickly for the tackle on the short gain.

110:2544CLE 33Joe Burrow pass complete short left to Tyler Boyd for 7 yards (tackled by Tavierre Thomas)
Got caught up in the screen by AJ Green on Mitchell.

Tough deal.
Mitchell kinda got in his way here.
They would have been better off making the switch if they were in Wade's match-man defense (like with Kareem and J Jo back then).

1:31
110CIN 25Joe Burrow pass complete short left to Tyler Boyd for 11 yards (tackle by Tavierre Thomas)
Got beat by the slot receiver on a swirl route.

The receiver ran out of bound after picking up 11, seeing a defender coming up.

2nd half
35:45110CIN 40Joe Burrow pass complete short left to Tyler Boyd for 5 yards (tackled by Andrew Sendejo). Penalty on Andrew Sendejo: Lowering the Head to Initiate Contact, 15 yard
Tavierre gave up way too much cushion here in his zone.

It was the safety who came up to make the tackle; however, he (the safety) committed a penalty on the play.

31:1112CLE 2Joe Burrow pass incomplete short left intended for Tyler Boyd
The receiver bobbled the ball.

Tavierre came over to make sure he didn't catch the ball.
Not sure what might happen here if the WR get a clean catch.

48:53110CLE 39Joe Burrow left tackle for 5 yards (tackle by Tavierre Thomas)
Good tackle by Tavierre.

43:52210CIN 25Joe Burrow pass complete short right to Tee Higgins for 5 yards (tackle by Tavierre Thomas)
Leading by 12; the Browns played a soft zone.

Nothing else for Tavierre to do here but to make the tackle and not giving up the big play.

43:1545CIN 30Joe Burrow pass complete short middle to Tyler Boyd for 17 yards (tackle by Tavierre Thomas)
Tavierre slipped and nearly fell down.

Give him a little credit for recovering to make the chase and the tackle.

42:2524CLE 47Joe Burrow pass complete short left to Drew Sample for 3 yards (tackle by Tavierre Thomas)
Good job by Tavierre from afar to limit the play to a 3-yd gain; it wasn't his his responsibility.

He does show the speed.

41:2641CLE 29Joe Burrow pass complete short left to Mike Thomas for 10 yards (tackle by Tavierre Thomas)
Throw to the soft spot in the flat;

Mitchell missed the tackle; Tavierre came over to save him and bring the receiver down.

Some poor plays here for Tavierre, but nothing critical.
He gave up 9 catches, but 3 of them were in garbage time, and he was caught in a rub route/pick on another.
If the defense plays cover 2 or some other kind of a zone, he'll be alright.
Not sure what might happen if he has to cover man more often.
You give out your own grade.

I don't know what Caserio is trying to do. Whether it's trying to compete or trying to tank, he's doing it wrong.

What do I think is going to happen? 2021 is going to be epically bad. What concerns me for the future? I don't see this organization making 2022 and beyond much better.

Yes 2021 is going to be bad.

You have no idea how the future will turn out.

Tell me, is DW4 going to be traded and what are they going to get for him if he's traded?

Tell me, is DW4 going to be traded and what are they going to get for him if he's traded?
I'm just guessing he will not be traded until the League's penalty against DW4 is known and can be taken into consideration when negotiating trade value. Also just guessing, I doubt this front office, after the recent past shenanigans/deals, will just release him. He is simply too valuable of a commodity.

What I don't know, perhaps you or someone can clarify, how much will the Texans be on the hook for monetarily and cap-wise, during DW4's penalty time if he's not on the active roster.

If DW4 is only suspended for a year or less, the Texans should still be able to get at least two first rounders plus. His value may drop a little, but not too significantly.

I'm just guessing he will not be traded until the League's penalty against DW4 is known and can be taken into consideration when negotiating trade value. Also just guessing, I doubt this front office, after the recent past shenanigans/deals, will just release him. He is simply too valuable of a commodity.

What I don't know, perhaps you or someone can clarify, how much will the Texans be on the hook for monetarily and cap-wise, during DW4's penalty time if he's not on the active roster.

If DW4 is only suspended for a year or less, the Texans should still be able to get at least two first rounders plus. His value may drop a little, but not too significantly.
I read somewhere 21.4 mil cap hit.

Back