Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Max Sharping

zshawn10

All Pro
Max Scharping was the draft class' 8th highest-graded overall tackle a season ago at NIU. #NFLDraft pic.twitter.com/vKdppIpG9w

— Pro Football Focus (@PFF) April 27, 2019

Per PFF, #Texans OT Max Scharping had the highest pass-blocking efficiency rating in the draft class. pic.twitter.com/TSrudeIbu5

— NFL on Texans (@NFLOnTexans) April 27, 2019

Max Scharping was consistently impressive in pass protection, allowing 33 pressures on 1,821 career pass-blocking snaps.

— PFF HOU Texans (@PFF_Texans) April 27, 2019

Max Scharping coming to Houston… pic.twitter.com/Yqh26L0gzi

— John Harris (@jharrisfootball) April 27, 2019

New #Texans OL Max Scharping is a bright guy. He was recruited by Yale and other Ivys. At the Senior Bowl, he said he'd sell teams on the ability to be a quick study capable of playing all over the line. Wonder why the Texans liked him.

— Aaron Reiss (@aaronjreiss) April 27, 2019

New #Texans OT Max Scharping had a 3.99 GPA in college. That is crazy! He gave up one sack in the past three seasons.

— Cody Stoots (@Cody_Stoots) April 27, 2019

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
This will probably end up being my favorite pick in the draft in terms of player and value at the pick. I think he's one of the cleanest prospects regardless of position in this draft. He will be a solid NFL player. I have a hard time seeing him bust outside of an injury situation. This is exactly what our offensive line needs!

Mangler

Toro de España
Which side is his best though? Seems like the right side of the line is going to be alright, the left side is what is still bothering me. Not that I’m writing Rankin off, but we certainly still have no idea what we have in him.

Which side is his best though? Seems like the right side of the line is going to be alright, the left side is what is still bothering me. Not that I’m writing Rankin off, but we certainly still have no idea what we have in him.
They're going to let Howard and Scharping play at their most comfortable position. Found 2 OT that can play left and right.

This is shaping up very well.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I had to dig deep to find an injury in Scharping, and have not seen anything written about it pre Draft.............he sustained a right labrum tear which he played with throughout the 2013 season. At the end of that season in Dec, he underwent a shoulder repair. The good news is that it went under the radar ever since, as he has not had any further problems with it. Despite this being the case, given a preference, I would still prefer seeing him at LT rather than RT.

Last edited:

amazing80

Hall of Fame
I had to dig deep to find an injury in Scharping, and have not seen anything written about pre Draft.............he sustained a right labrum tear which he played with throughout the 2013 season. At the end of that season in Dec, he underwent a shoulder repair. The good news is that it went under the radar ever since, as he has not had any further problems with it. Despite this being the case, given a preference, I would still prefer seeing him at LT rather than RT.
Consider him the starter at RT :spin:

badboy

Hall of Fame
Just want to remind all that many here bring info like posted in this thread all during college football season and during off season. Not saying any of us are GMs but do research to provide board with this info. The college forum is very helpful. I have already began a thread offering players to watch for; hope you find it helpful.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Not saying that after all this time without problems that he cannot play RT (because he obviously can and has)...........but if an ultra caution route would want to be taken, I would have a preference for the left side.
Unfortunately the scouting reports say he might not be able to play lt. What about guard?

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
You sir are a donkey, and I dont mean a democrat...

You had the football gods ear all this time and NOW you call on him?.... WTH?!

Could have seen a Texans SB before I reached my 40s.

SLACKER!
Yeah - what's the point if you got tha power and yet don't use it?:kitten:

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
You sir are a donkey, and I dont mean a democrat...

You had the football gods ear all this time and NOW you call on him?.... WTH?!

Could have seen a Texans SB before I reached my 40s.

SLACKER!
Yeah - what's the point if you got tha power and yet don't use it?:kitten:

Wolf12339

Waterboy

zshawn10

All Pro
Another note on newest @HoustonTexans OT Max Scharping: He allowed 1 sack and 3 QB hits over 1,376 pass-blocking snaps in his final three years at NIU.

— PFF HOU Texans (@PFF_Texans) April 27, 2019

.@MaxScharping is a big man at 6’6 327 lbs. He played 237 snaps at Right Guard, 664 at Right Tackle, and (over his final two seasons) 989 at Left Tackle. He was a team captain and faced tough competition in Brian Burns, Anthony Nelson, and Maxx Crosby. HoustonTexans met OL need pic.twitter.com/LTOv0QooDK

— Mike Tannenbaum (@RealTannenbaum) April 27, 2019

#MaxScharping #Texans OT Gave up no sacks or pressures to Florida State speed rusher Brian Burns. Started two yrs at left tackle, one yr at right tackle & also earned some starts at right guard as a sophomore & freshman. A gd zone blocker with the ability to redirect in pass pro.

— Dan Shonka (@Ourlads_Shonka) April 27, 2019

281Texan

Waterboy
So Tytus May end up being the right tackle after all with this pick. If that’s so, why not Jawaan Taylor... Gaine could look like a genius or this could all end badly. Almost all of our picks are developmental. Lonnie is the most NFL ready, and even he has some technique issues to work out

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
So Tytus May end up being the right tackle after all with this pick. If that’s so, why not Jawaan Taylor... Gaine could look like a genius or this could all end badly. Almost all of our picks are developmental. Lonnie is the most NFL ready, and even he has some technique issues to work out

Not too sure that this is a good thing.

Gaine displayed a lot of patience and apparently followed his draft board.

Now we get to sit back and see what we have in our new GM.

Eagerly awaiting the coming FA signings.

:coffee:

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I think all 4 players will be contributing to this team this season. The only developmental part is reaching their considerable ceilings.

Disagree on Lonnie being most NFL ready of the picks. It’s Scharping. He started every game he played in college and he’s not gonna stop that streak now!

All these media people saying that he's not athletic enough, no wow plays, no this, no that, blah blah blah...

Dude allowed 1 sack in college on almost 1,400 snaps. I'd gladly take that.

Brian Burns was a top 5 pick in some scouts minds yet Scharping didn't even allow a pressure. Not a sack...a pressure.

You can't find any tape on youtube of Brian Burns vs NIU because it was just be him getting stone walled for 60 mins in pass pro.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
But clearly that's not what Gaine intends as he did draft Tytus before Max.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
@Mbw987 1h1 hour ago
The sack/pressure numbers don’t mean much regarding Scharping. NIU went down big against teams like Florida State, the quarterback was mobile, the ball was out quick, and most of his blocks did not have attachment to the pro game.

281Texan

Waterboy
Not too sure that this is a good thing.

Gaine displayed a lot of patience and apparently followed his draft board.

Now we get to sit back and see what we have in our new GM.

Eagerly awaiting the coming FA signings.

:coffee:

I mean it could all blow up or it could work out. I didn’t necessarily want projects just because our top 3 picks will likely need to play day 1

281Texan

Waterboy
I think all 4 players will be contributing to this team this season. The only developmental part is reaching their considerable ceilings.

Disagree on Lonnie being most NFL ready of the picks. It’s Scharping. He started every game he played in college and he’s not gonna stop that streak now!
I love the Scharping pick. I think he’s gonna he a really good player