Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Kevin Pierre Louis LB

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
New GM but the same Texans!
What Caserio is doing in FA was completely ignored by prior regimes. The Texans are in a re-build for the next 2 seasons or until they unarse their bad, cap draining contracts. To do this effectively, the Texans are going to need decent low cost veterans with potential upside to bridge positions until new draft picks can take them over.

It looks like Caserio has borrowed Luhnow's "How To Effectvely Re-Build A Professsional Team" book. I'm good with the current moves and fully understand the additional cuts or trades will just have to wait until next season to become more financially viable.

What will make all these moves even more exciting......a successful draft on paper. That's what made watching Luhnow's drafts so enticing. A Watson trade will certainly make this one of the more interesting drafts for Texans fans.

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
What Caserio is doing in FA was completely ignored by prior regimes. The Texans are in a re-build for the next 2 seasons or until they unarse their bad, cap draining contracts. To do this effectively, the Texans are going to need decent low cost veterans with potential upside to bridge positions until new draft picks can take them over.

It looks like Caserio has borrowed Luhnow's "How To Effectvely Re-Build A Professsional Team" book. I'm good with the current moves and fully understand the additional cuts or trades will just have to wait until next season to become more financially viable.

What will make all these moves even more exciting......a successful draft on paper. That's what made what made watching Luhnow's drafts so enticing. A Watson trade will certainly make this one of the more interesting drafts for Texans fans.
What NC has been doing is pretty basic, IMO.
One good thing he's got going is with the low cap figure, teams don't have much left after the splash signing of big names.
It gives teams like the Texans a better chance to pick and choose a few middle and low end FAs.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
To do this effectively, the Texans are going to need decent low cost veterans with potential upside to bridge positions until new draft picks can take them over
I think the issue here is what is considered “low cost.”

just calling it like I see it. I didn’t like when O’Brien was overpaying mediocre players to fill the top of the roster. I like it even less that Caserio appears to be overpaying less than mediocre players to fill out the top of the roster.

Right now, the optics aren’t good imo.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans

just calling it like I see it. I didn’t like when O’Brien was overpaying mediocre players to fill the top of the roster. I like it even less that Caserio appears to be overpaying less than mediocre players to fill out the top of the roster.

That's a fair assessment.....until we can gauge the success or failure of these moves on the field of play. I hope the players signed can deliver so the one's who got 2 year deals will be justified going into a second season and those on 1 year deals earn a 1 year extension. That could really help in the development of the drafted players. I like the inner-workings of a rebuild and the potential of what this team could like come 2023.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

I'm just viewing most of these guys as scheme fits. Time will tell which of these guys emerges and which are cut before opening day.

The optics aren't good mainly to folks who don't pay attention to the league at large & think that b/c these guys failed elsewhere in 1 scheme or regime, they can't possibly be good or capable in another; Folks looking for name cache to make them feel good about the direction. NC approach is solid though & I'm pretty positive most fans didn't know but maybe 1-2 names from that Legion of Boom defense either since all but 2 of their starters were day 3 picks & "JAGS" from other teams. Chris Clemons played for 3 different teams & hadn't come close to a double digit sack season prior to joining Seattle. During Seattle's 3 year run though he recorded 3 straight double digit sack seasons...........before becoming a JAG again immediately after he left SEA. Red Bryant for whatever reason couldn't stay on the field in his 1st 3 years in the league. But during Seattle's run, he missed 1 game total. Cliff Avril? Just another "aight" player they picked up from Detroit that helped them make another SB run.

These aren't flashy pick ups, but at least 1-2 of these guys are bound to turn out to be very solid players who just needed the right scheme, coaching and an opportunity.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The optics aren't good mainly to folks who don't pay attention to the league at large & think that b/c these guys failed elsewhere in 1 scheme or regime, they can't possibly be good or capable in another; Folks looking for name cache to make them feel good about the direction.
Name cache?

I'm just saying these guys who weren't "scheme fits" or "failed elsewhere" shouldn't be getting $3M~$6M deals. That's what you pay your solid not special players. Guys you'd like to keep that aren't game changers.

If this is what we're paying "filler" I can see how Martin, Mercilus, & McKinney were grossly overpaid.

What will make all these moves even more exciting......a successful draft on paper. That's what made watching Luhnow's drafts so enticing. A Watson trade will certainly make this one of the more interesting drafts for Texans fans.
Got ya!

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Name cache?

I'm just saying these guys who weren't "scheme fits" or "failed elsewhere" shouldn't be getting $3M~$6M deals. That's what you pay your solid not special players. Guys you'd like to keep that aren't game changers.

If this is what we're paying "filler" I can see how Martin, Mercilus, & McKinney were grossly overpaid.
Im trying to understand where you’re getting that some of these guys shouldn’t be getting the deals they’re getting. Further for a lot of these guys, 3-6 million is hardly anywhere close to what is actually guaranteed. A lot of these deals are heavily incentive laden or performance related and if they reach these incentives and/or performance marks, it’s only good for the team.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Im trying to understand where you’re getting that some of these guys shouldn’t be getting the deals they’re getting. Further for a lot of these guys, 3-6 million is hardly anywhere close to what is actually guaranteed. A lot of these deals are heavily incentive laden or performance related and if they reach these incentives and/or performance marks, it’s only good for the team.
I keep being remined of when we signed Honey badger and how many couldn't believe we signed a washed up player for any amount and how could the Texans be so stupid. One year later and it was how could the Texans be so stupid to not sign him to a long term deal and let him walk.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I keep being remined of when we signed Honey badger and how many couldn't believe we signed a washed up player for any amount and how could the Texans be so stupid. One year later and it was how could the Texans be so stupid to not sign him to a long term deal and let him walk.
Uhm, I wasn't one who said he was washed up.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Look at their respective thread.
I had put down the reason(s) why I think some of these moves aren't prudent.