Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston J Metchie III

I answered that question by Lucky on Jan 9:

Treatment of APL (acute promyelocytic leukemia) is typically divided into three phases, each with its own objectives.

Induction therapy starts immediately after diagnosis with the goals to kill as many APL cells as possible, bring blood cell counts to normal levels, and decrease APL-related symptoms. This is known as a complete hematologic response (CHR).

Consolidation therapy follow induction therapy. Its main goal is to convert the CHR into a remission.

Maintenance therapy aims to ensure that remission is maintained over time.

Metchie received 6 weeks of in-hospital treatment, followed by a 3 month outpatient treatment regimen which was completed mid December. As there has been no extension of the treatment that I am aware of, it appears that his leukemia has successfully gone into at least remission. Longer follow up (at least 1 year) is necessary to determine if the treatment has been curative. But at this time barring an unexpected relapse, we can plan on seeing Metchie back out there for the 2023 season.

Texans' John Metchie III on the field at voluntary minicamp after 2022 leukemia diagnosis
Metchie has made strides in recovery
https://www.cbssports.com/writers/jordan-dajani/
By Jordan Dajani
8 hrs ago•1 min read

NFL: Houston Texans OTA
USA TODAY Sports

This week, voluntary minicamp began for the Arizona Cardinals, Carolina Panthers, Denver Broncos, Houston Texans and Indianapolis Colts. One of these sessions received some extra juice with the return of a special player, and that is Texans wide receiver John Metchie III.

Metchie was diagnosed with APL (Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia) last summer, and missed his entire rookie season. According to MedlinePlus.gov, APL is a cancer of the blood-forming tissues that "leads to a shortage of normal white and red blood cells and platelets in the body." It occurs in approximately 1 in 250,000 people in the United States.

Metchie has done well in recovery, however, and the Texans posted a picture of him catching a pass on the practice field Tuesday. New Texans head coach DeMeco Ryans said earlier this month that Metchie would be "involved" with the offseason program, and sure enough, he was on the field Day 1.

"Yeah, John is doing fine," Ryans said, via Pro Football Talk. "We'll see John get involved with our offseason program. And with John, as with every other player, we're going to take it one day at a time and see where he can grow and where he can be when the time comes. At the right time, when the season comes, we'll see where he is."

Metchie was selected with the No. 44 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft out of Alabama. In his final season with the Crimson Tide back in 2021, he caught 96 passes for 1,142 yards and eight touchdowns in 13 games played. Unfortunately, he tore his ACL in the SEC Championship game that season.

The good news I've heard is that Metchie has demonstrated no signs of setback in his medical condition. As I see it, Metchie's return to the field will realistically be limited by his progress in conditioning and his ability to successfully re-incorporate into game performance.

Hey Cloak, with the injury happening in the first week of OTA's, whats the realistic timeline for him returning (barring any setbacks) to the field at 100% with minimal risk of reinjuring or having hammy issues going forward??

@CloakNNNdagger
Conservative return would be ~2 months from injury. Unfortunately, the first month back is very significant risk for injury......and the entire season continues to be a significant risk for reinjury as well as compensatory injury. Add in the studies that show WRs following ACLs are significantly affected in lowered performance, and the level of Metchie's return contribution and longevity must be guarded.

Conservative return would be ~2 months from injury. Unfortunately, the first month back is very significant risk for injury......and the entire season continues to be a significant risk for reinjury as well as compensatory injury. Add in the studies that show WRs following ACLs are significantly affected in lowered performance, and the level of Metchie's return contribution and longevity must be guarded.

Who let this guy back in to suck all the fun out of the room?

Forget Metchie.......... he's Joppru to me.

Sad but true. I expect nothing from him this season. So if the team gets anything it’s a plus. But I don’t think we’ll see what he can do until next season at the earliest, assuming he can stay healthy this season.

Getting quality play from Metchie this season is a bonus in my mind. I don’t see him holding off Dell for the slot role.

Back