Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Devin Singletary

Texansballer74

The Marine

Devin Singletary, running back
Singletary comes to Houston on a one-year deal worth up to $3.75 million.

What it means: Singletary has amassed 3,151 rushing yards in his four-year career and will be paired with Texans running back Dameon Pierce, who went for 939 yards and four touchdowns as a rookie in 13 games. This signing gives the Texans a change of pace running back to counter Pierce’s physical running style as Singletary is agile and quick.

What's the risk: The risk is minimal since the Texans already have their lead back in Pierce. But if Singletary can’t be an effective complementary piece to Pierce, it could lighten the load for the second-year back.

Devin Singletary, running back
Singletary comes to Houston on a one-year deal worth up to $3.75 million.

What it means: Singletary has amassed 3,151 rushing yards in his four-year career and will be paired with Texans running back Dameon Pierce, who went for 939 yards and four touchdowns as a rookie in 13 games. This signing gives the Texans a change of pace running back to counter Pierce’s physical running style as Singletary is agile and quick.

What's the risk: The risk is minimal since the Texans already have their lead back in Pierce. But if Singletary can’t be an effective complementary piece to Pierce, it could lighten the load for the second-year back.
You need to assess the risk correctly, TB.

Can he or can't he? :runaway:

I'd rather they take a RB in the draft to be the other half of the Pierce duo. If they still do, then the more the better.
I like that idea too - that way if he doesn't work out, you can take another one in the next draft.
I think you need two good backs, in case one goes down with an injury.
Still, I ain't gonna lie, I love the Singletary signing.

The Texans are just doing what most (if not all) teams during FA.
Signing players to as many positions/units possible so that they don't get caught reaching for a player in the draft.

In this regard, Nick Caserio, IMO, is learning a little more.

What I mean is that in New England, he didn't have that many holes to fill each year.

He never had to rebuild a team before, and he's never been the number one to call the shot.

He's in a better position now and I hope he continues to grow.

I'd rather they take a RB in the draft to be the other half of the Pierce duo. If they still do, then the more the better.
It's better to have a vet at the position.
It's one where the guy needs to learn to grind when things don't go right.
Learn when to protect the rock (which is always) and when you need to lay it all out.
Learn how to block different guys when it's called for (it might be a 350lbs mammoth or a quick DB coming on a blitz.)
Got to learn how a defense may attack your QB.
Young guys don't have that experience.
Most college teams don't have an exotic defense.

Singletary and Pierce is a quality backfield. I’d like them to get a speed guy who can be a returner day 3 or UDFA range to add to the committee.

Someone like Deuce Vaughn out of Kansas State. He returned kicks as a freshmen before he became an undersized but effective bell cow for his team.

Singletary and Pierce is a quality backfield. I’d like them to get a speed guy who can be a returner day 3 or UDFA range to add to the committee.

Someone like Deuce Vaughn out of Kansas State. He returned kicks as a freshmen before he became an undersized but effective bell cow for his team.
I'd prefer the Texans to take a shot at Eric Gray, out of Oklahoma or Kenny McIntosh out of Georgia. Pairing either of those two with Pierce and Singletary would be a pretty epic backfield. They should both be available on day 3 of the draft. McIntosh is a helluva receiver out of the backfield.

I'd like to see the Texans new 3rd down back be, Devon Archane (Texas A&M). His speed and ability to catch out of the backfield are strong enough to hurt defenses. With Pierce and Singletary carrying the load, it would be an awesome move to have Archane to be the change of pace RB.

I'd like to see the Texans new 3rd down back be, Devon Archane (Texas A&M). His speed and ability to catch out of the backfield are strong enough to hurt defenses. With Pierce and Singletary carrying the load, it would be an awesome move to have Archane to be the change of pace RB.

He’d be great but I don’t know if they’ll use a high enough pick to get him with Singletary in the fold.

He’d be great but I don’t know if they’ll use a high enough pick to get him with Singletary in the fold.

I'm not saying Pierce/Singletary is the long term answer for this team, but there are so many holes to fill still on this team and the RB position has been considerably upgraded through FA. It wouldn't feel like an efficient use of draft capital, IMO.

I'm not saying Pierce/Singletary is the long term answer for this team, but there are so many holes to fill still on this team and the RB position has been considerably upgraded through FA. It wouldn't feel like an efficient use of draft capital, IMO.
I don’t think there’s a lot of holes to fill now. They have addressed all their needs but 1 ( quarterback ). Granted some of those addressed needs aren’t long term but could be if they pan out.

I like that idea too - that way if he doesn't work out, you can take another one in the next draft.
I think you need two good backs, in case one goes down with an injury.
Still, I ain't gonna lie, I love the Singletary signing.
Maybe I’m misunderstanding your post but if your draft pick doesn’t work out who would back up Pierce this year? We don’t have a RB with Singletarys production other than Pierce.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding your post but if your draft pick doesn’t work out who would back up Pierce this year? We don’t have a RB with Singletarys production other than Pierce.
Singletary is here now with Pierce.
I like the idea of still taking a quality back in case Singletary moves on after the season.
Meanwhile, the rookie learns the ropes and also gets enough reps to see if we need to go RB again in '24.

I don’t think there’s a lot of holes to fill now. They have addressed all their needs but 1 ( quarterback ). Granted some of those addressed needs aren’t long term but could be if they pan out.
They addressed QB just like they addressed the other positions.

Case Keenum & EJ Perry.

perhaps but less of chance Hooker. Round 2 or better round 3. On radio I'm hearing Keenum signed to mentor and start until QB ready so why not Hooker.
Because he probably won’t be really available until next year. He most definitely won’t be ready for camp.

Two things I know about Devin Singletary at 5'7"

If we draft Young it will be a huge confidence boost for him when Devin checks into the game and Bryce can say "hey little fella"

and if we roll with Mills again, well he'll be able to sail sideline passes 20 feet over Devins's head

Last edited:
How? 50%+ of the snaps? Over 1000+ yards/scrimmage? Not happening if Pierce stays healthy.

It will be hard, but I was thinking of the following:

1. Pierce doesn't need to be getting 17 rushing attempts per game. Had he played a full season he would have been close to 300. He isn't that level of a workhorse.
2. Single Tray has good hands. Around 40 receptions each of the last three years.
3. Texans had one of the lowest offensive play counts last season. Expecting that they reduce the number of 3-and-out series and get 5-7 more offensive plays per game.

Does that get him there? There will be luck involved. Odds say no. But I do see more offensive opportunity for this entire team next season. If only because Lovie/Pep aren't running it.

Are we even sure Pierce is #1 on the depth chart?

He had a really good rookie season, & we hope he keeps getting better, but there's no guarantee. Hopefully he's working his butt off right now, but for all we know he's bought a CBD shop next to a Duncan Donuts.

I've seen both play, and I'm sure Pierce is #1. Put it this way, if Pierce were on the Bills they would have paid the $$$ to keep him.
Understood. I'm not making a prediction, just an observation. Pierce has had a good start, but it's far from over.

Singletary is a beast. Paired with DP...we have a very strong and capable RB room. I still think it would be good to have a true 3rd down RB with hands and speed. Not a bruising RB...unless the hands and speed happens to have both

Back