Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Dameon Pierce

badboy

Hall of Fame
Pierce expected to miss time.
Another reason you need a solid 1-2 punch out of the backfield.
Plus a Starting right guard, starting offensive center, A starting defensive tackle, a starting defensive edge rusher plus a starting quarterback and at least one wide receiver if not two and then we can get a backup running back.

Oh and a starting safety to pair with Pitre, a starting corner across from Nelson, a starting TE or perhaps two..

Yep we do need a backup RB.

Ronan1001

Practice Squad
Plus a Starting right guard, starting offensive center, A starting defensive tackle, a starting defensive edge rusher plus a starting quarterback and at least one wide receiver if not two and then we can get a backup running back.

Oh and a starting safety to pair with Pitre, a starting corner across from Nelson, a starting TE or perhaps two..

Let me ask you this. Who do you think would be the best backup RB?

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

Talking team identity.
I was thinking two quality backs so when one gets injured, you still have one to keep the ground game going.
Ergo, with Pierce out, who is gonna be a true threat out of the backfield now?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Let me ask you this. Who do you think would be the best backup RB?

Israel Abanikanda became a legend Saturday.

The Pitt Panthers running back rushed for a record-setting 320 yards and six touchdowns in a 45-29 win over Virginia Tech.

Abanikanda, who had 36 carries, broke Tony Dorsett’s Pitt record of 303 rushing yards set in 1975. His six scores tie the Pitt and ACC record set way back in 1910 by Norman Budd (although that predates Pitt’s entrance to the ACC by more than 80 years).

The 5-11, 215-pound junior became the first Power 5 conference football player to rush for more than 300 yards and score six TDs in a game since Ricky Williams of Texas in 1998.

It was quite simply an incredible performance.
Abanikanda also hit pay dirt on runs of (in order), 38, 17, 29, 5, and 10 yards.

Not bad for a player who entered the game listed as Probable with an injured arm that had to be placed in a sling after last week’s loss to Georgia Tech.

As he ran a 4.50 40-yard dash and a 39.10 vertical jump at The Opening Regional a few months before committing, he flashed his physical gifts.Sep 28, 2022

Israel Abanikanda's Unique Talent is Unlike Any Pat Narduzzi Has Seen
https://pittsburghsportsnow.com › 2022/09/28 › israel-aba...

2022 11 games: 239/1,431 @ 5.99 20 TDs
receiving 12/146@12.17 1 TD kick returns 12/228 @ 19

badboy

Hall of Fame
Talking team identity.
I was thinking two quality backs so when one gets injured, you still have one to keep the ground game going.
Ergo, with Pierce out, who is gonna be a true threat out of the backfield now?
sure but can't you say that about every position?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Get a Center and an OG in this draft. Plus a TE/WR.

Pickup a FA RB like McKinnon and draft a guy late.

Put the building blocks in place to have a successful offense.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Houston Texans offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton wasn’t looking at what Dameon Pierce could do in Dan Mullen’s offensive system at Florida.

The first-year offensive coordinator left the 2022 NFL draft up to the personnel department led by James Liipfert and Matt Bazirgan, now with the Buffalo Bills. Ultimately, it was general manager Nick Caserio gathering the information to make the selection at No. 107 overall in Round 4 of the draft.

“I think the focus was more so, this was a decision that Nick Caserio and our personnel staff made,” Hamilton told reporters Aug. 16.
So the GM and the scouting department making decisions on actual draft selections.. imagine that.

I've been reading here all along that Caserio, Lovie and some other coaches play pin the tail on the draft board taking turns to see what side of the ball gets what player. Crazy how authoritatively it was said here too, almost like whoever was saying it really thought they knew what they were talking about. Hhmm..

vtech9

All Pro
So the GM and the scouting department making decisions on actual draft selections.. imagine that.

I've been reading here all along that Caserio, Lovie and some other coaches play pin the tail on the draft board taking turns to see what side of the ball gets what player. Crazy how authoritatively it was said here too, almost like whoever was saying it really thought they knew what they were talking about. Hhmm..
I think the coaches made the 1st round picks, and possibly the 2nd round picks, and then Caserio made the rest of the draft picks.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

That article was specifically pointing out the pick on Pierce. I didn’t see where it mentioned the other picks. Or did I miss that?

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
That article was specifically pointing out the pick on Pierce. I didn’t see where it mentioned the other picks. Or did I miss that?
That's certainly missing, no question.

Interestingly enough what's also missing, from anywhere, is any suggestion that the aforementioned (authoritative) theory has any validity at all.

So one idea has plausible merit. And one idea has been pulled from a hole in the ground.

I'll update the score as it progresses.

Texansballer74

The Marine
And It was posted on here several times O’Brien saying it was a collective collaborative decision throughout the draft. But some members kept saying it was only Rick Smith making those picks. And that O’Brien was basically lying.

So that’s nothing new around here. Lol

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I had posted an article somewhere on this forum when Nick Caserio detailed the draft process.

The scouting department and Caserio present a number of players to the coaches to get their input.

Caserio went on to say that Lovie was very accommodating (paraphrasing).

But Caserio makes the final call.
I presume that this happens when the coach(es) differ with the scouts about a player or between two players; Caserio makes the decision.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Watching DP this season, I am pretty excited to see what he can do this next season in a new regime with some more help from his Oline.
I would also like to see him get some help pounding the rock.
I can imagine what a headache a two headed monster we could present to opposing defenses would be - just wear 'em down with no letup.
We absolutely must get another beast in here.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I would take the Texas RB, even if I had to trade back up into the 1st round to do it. If the Texans can trade down with 1.2 or 1.12, then I would use that pick on him. That would be an amazing RB duo in a ZBS.
With Pierce and Robinson in our backfield, we would suddenly have a new identity - a run first team and a fearsome one at that. It would take a whole bunch of pressure off any QB and open up his passing game. It would take top tier defenses to tame our run game and even then they aren't going to stop it entirely.
There is nothing sweeter than watching your team run it down an opponents throat and they are powerless to stop it. Pound 'em into the dirt.

badboy

Hall of Fame
With Pierce and Robinson in our backfield, we would suddenly have a new identity - a run first team and a fearsome one at that. It would take a whole bunch of pressure off any QB and open up his passing game. It would take top tier defenses to tame our run game and even then they aren't going to stop it entirely.
There is nothing sweeter than watching your team run it down an opponents throat and they are powerless to stop it. Pound 'em into the dirt.
Even better, both can catch. If Bijan runs in 4.4s he is better than some WRs.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I would take the Texas RB, even if I had to trade back up into the 1st round to do it. If the Texans can trade down with 1.2 or 1.12, then I would use that pick on him. That would be an amazing RB duo in a ZBS.
I would love to have him, but I doubt we take him. It's a different direction and philosophy to where I think Texans go.
We would have one of the best rushing attacks in the league.
We can still get some good ones lower down.
Achane, Gibbs, Charbonnet and Spears (and others) also have nice potential.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I would love to have him, but I doubt we take him. It's a different direction and philosophy to where I think Texans go.
We would have one of the best rushing attacks in the league.
We can still get some good ones lower down.
Achane, Gibbs, Charbonnet and Spears (and others) also have nice potential.
Having both of those guys on rookie contracts would be awesome. It might make for a difficult decision in a few years, but that's a good problem to have. Not sure what you mean by different direction/philosophy though. Both backs would be ideal in a ZBS offense.