Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Dameon Pierce

JWLCASPER

Waterboy
I immediately think of Frank Gore when I watch him play. Hard nosed runner that makes lanes where there are none. Soft hands but not “a receiving back”. Low center of gravity. Team first mentality.

I then cross referenced measurements and college production.

Gore - 3 Years, 371 Touches, 348 Carries 1975 Yards 5.7 YPC 17 TDs
23 Catches 225 Yards 0 TDs

Pierce - 4 Years, 374 Touches, 329 Carries 1806 Yards 5.5 YPC 23 TDs 45 Catches 422 Yards 5 TDs

Gore Measurements
5’93 Height
217 Weight
4.58 Forty
34 Inch Vertical
109 Inch Broad
4.11 Shuttle
6.91 3 Cone
Couldn’t Find Bench

Pierce
5’95 Height
217-224 Weight
4.59 Forty
34.5 Inch Vertical
119 Inch Broad
4.46 Shuttle
7.53 3 Cone
21 Bench Reps at 225

Very Very Very comparable.

I immediately think of Frank Gore when I watch him play. Hard nosed runner that makes lanes where there are none. Soft hands but not “a receiving back”. Low center of gravity. Team first mentality.

Pierce - 4 Years, 374 Touches, 329 Carries 1806 Yards 5.5 YPC 23 TDs 45 Catches 422 Yards 5 TDs

Gore Measurements
5’93 Height
217 Weight
4.58 Forty
34 Inch Vertical
109 Inch Broad
4.11 Shuttle
6.91 3 Cone
Couldn’t Find Bench

Pierce
5’95 Height
217-224 Weight
4.59 Forty
34.5 Inch Vertical
119 Inch Broad
4.46 Shuttle
7.53 3 Cone
21 Bench Reps at 225

I’d be very happy if we found a Frank Gore in the 4th round.

mussop

Hall of Fame
Great pick built like a slightly bigger MJD. Needs a bit of work to really help his start and stop ability. Past that he could be a 3 down back. However, he has been a lead back in a stable thus far. IF he can fix the few issues he has he could be a steal

That’s exactly who I thought of when I watched Pierce.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
For where we got him, he's a great pick. Caserio seems to do better with his picks the further away he gets from the 1st round. :lol:
The exact opposite of RS. Any chance we could have him pick the first round then Nick pick the rest?

Edit: though a thought came to me, Nick learned in NE and for most of his time there they picked late in the first round or just traded back. He’s never seen a top three where only two guys are off the board. He might have gotten confused and thought he had to go with his plan B or even C.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
I don't see the MJD comparison. He was much more explosive with top end speed. (Before hits started taking their toll on his legs). He returned kicks for the Jags, finished 3rd in the NFL in return avg. Including a 93 yard TD return his rookie year. He really was a hell of a athlete/competitor. One of the few players on that team I respected. He carried that team.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame

Gore Measurements
5’93 Height
217 Weight
4.58 Forty
34 Inch Vertical
109 Inch Broad
4.11 Shuttle
6.91 3 Cone
Couldn’t Find Bench

Pierce
5’95 Height
217-224 Weight
4.59 Forty
34.5 Inch Vertical
119 Inch Broad
4.46 Shuttle
7.53 3 Cone
21 Bench Reps at 225

Outstanding comparison! Gore’s body needs to be studied in a lab.

For as durable Gore was in the NFL he was not in college. He had two torn ACLs in college and also had to compete with playing time in stacked RB rooms featuring Clinton Portis, Willis Mcgahee and Walter Payton’s son Jarrett.

Jack Burton

Veteran
Outstanding comparison! Gore’s body needs to be studied in a lab.

For as durable Gore was in the NFL he was not in college. He had two torn ACLs in college and also had to compete with playing time in stacked RB rooms featuring Clinton Portis, Willis Mcgahee and Walter Payton’s son Jarrett.
Don’t tell the Rolaids Brigade about all these college injuries to great players.
They might do something drastic to themselves….

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I see the medical on Haskin raises some issues, but that was the guy I wanted. It's going to be hard not constantly comparing these two, being they are in the same division.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I see the medical on Haskin raises some issues, but that was the guy I wanted. It's going to be hard not constantly comparing these two, being they are in the same division.
I love Haskins and mocked him to Texans and have said I would take him in this slot even if most mocks had him going 5-6. However, Pierce was rated higher due to a more well-rounded skillset and less injury concerns.

Unfortunately, the Titans are a great landing spot for Haskins. He will be a great Henry-lite option if Henry falters due to injury/excessive usage.

Jack Burton

Veteran
I love Haskins and mocked him to Texans and have said I would take him in this slot even if most mocks had him going 5-6. However, Pierce was rated higher due to a more well-rounded skillset and less injury concerns.

Unfortunately, the Titans are a great landing spot for Haskins. He will be a great Henry-lite option if Henry falters due to injury/excessive usage.
It was a really good fit cause he won’t have to be a workhorse in TENN considering his injury history and he can still be a contributor.

Max

Veteran
At least one other knucklehead out there saw the Emmitt similarities that I did. And like this guy, I wonder if that style works in today's NFL. We're going to have to beef up our OLine if Pierce is going to realize his potential.

Pro Comparison and Grade
Emmitt Smith (1st round 1990, 17th overall selection, Dallas Cowboys, Florida), 3rd round grade.
Maybe you're thinking, "Wait a minute, Smith is the NFL all time rushing leader and a HOFer. How can a 3rd round graded RB be compared to one of the greatest RBs in NFL history?" First, one reason I went with this comp is the Florida Gators connection. Second, I wonder whether Emmitt Smith would still be valued as much by teams in the current era of NFL football compared to the 1990's. Smith wasn't fast, he wasn't a big guy, he wasn't super elusive like Barry Sanders. The Dallas Cowboys discovered that Smith wasn't a great outside runner, but that was just fine, because Dallas was able to mash opponents right up the middle. Smith was suited for I formation football with lead fullbacks and blocking TEs.
NFL football has changed since those days. I'm not sure Smith would thrive in a single back set, zone scheme system. A coach might decide that his skill set was too limited and make Smith just a backup. On the other hand, just as Terrell Davis seized his opportunity and literally ran with it, maybe once Emmitt Smith got onto the field he'd keep making play after play and the coach wouldn't be able to take him out of the game.
No, I'm not saying that Dameon Pierce will someday be enshrined in Canton. I am saying that if you go down the list of all of his traits as a football player, he has many striking similarities with Emmitt Smith.

Jack Burton

Veteran
At least one other knucklehead out there saw the Emmitt similarities that I did. And like this guy, I wonder if that style works in today's NFL. We're going to have to beef up our OLine if Pierce is going to realize his potential.

ZERO fumbles the last 2 years. Breaks tackles at a high rate. Really good catching out of the backfield.
“Is the hammer, and not the nail”.
I think we’re good, boys.

Last edited:

Jack Burton

Veteran
Also from Max article..

“I like Pierce better than James Robinson (UDFA, 4.64 speed) of the Jags. Robinson ran for over 1,000 yards as a rookie, even though the Jaguars only ranked 26th in run block win rate that season.

I don't know exactly where he would rank, but I would put Dameon Pierce on a list of top 10 players who I'd like to still be available for the Rams at 104. He's a good player who I think has the potential to be a starting RB in the NFL.”

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

Gore Measurements
5’93 Height
217 Weight
4.58 Forty
34 Inch Vertical
109 Inch Broad
4.11 Shuttle
6.91 3 Cone
Couldn’t Find Bench

Pierce
5’95 Height
217-224 Weight
4.59 Forty
34.5 Inch Vertical
119 Inch Broad
4.46 Shuttle
7.53 3 Cone
21 Bench Reps at 225

Nice comparo, but the shuttle and cone show your wiggle and stop go.
Gore was substantially ahead on those.

michaelm

vox nihili
He seems comparable to Marshawn Lynch, with the exception of a slightly slower 40 time.

Pierce had the better shuttle and 3 cone compared to Lynch.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
His style looks similar to Emmitt to me. Nothing fancy, north/south patient runner that's strong as hell and not going down on first contact. Nice to see an offensive identity forming with this and the Green pick.
Maybe, but I don't compare RBs to Emmitt. He is the all time leading rusher and played through some pain over the years. GOAT? No, but top say 10...yes. So, really a good comparison is...Mr Foster. Except faster, and we saw Foster run away from Ds alot. Foster ran a 4.69-ish vs a 4.5...

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Maybe, but I don't compare RBs to Emmitt. He is the all time leading rusher and played through some pain over the years. GOAT? No, but top say 10...yes. So, really a good comparison is...Mr Foster. Except faster, and we saw Foster run away from Ds alot. Foster ran a 4.69-ish vs a 4.5...
Where Foster was so good was the way he set the defender up so he would have a full head of steam when he blew by and a head start on them.
By the time the defender turned around and got up to speed, Foster already had a 5 yards on them. He had a very deceptive step - only one cut, but it was smooth as silk and devastating.

Max

Veteran
Slight detour but I'm feeling chatty. IMO, there's several guys that could have done what Emmitt did with that OLine and the blocking he had. And like the dude said in the article, I'm not sure Emmitt would have the same success in today's NFL based on what teams are looking for now in a RB. Then there's guys like Gayle Sayers, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Jim Brown and Earl Campbell (maybe OJ) who's talent transcended their era and would have the same level of success today as they did back in the day. I'm not saying that Emmitt was a chump, just that his talent wasn't on the same level as those guys listed. Anyone care to disagree?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Slight detour but I'm feeling chatty. IMO, there's several guys that could have done what Emmitt did with that OLine and the blocking he had. And like the dude said in the article,
Emmitt was not the only RB in Dallas in the 90s.

Max

Veteran
What happened to Chris Warren? He in the HOF?

you think Jerrah likes paying millions of dollars to replaceable RBs?

Emmitt Smith was special.
Warren had his best ypc season the year he went to run behind Dallas' OLine and he averaged better ypc than Emmitt in his time in Dallas. You're making my point. A non hall of famer showed what that OLine does for a RB. It's all hypothetical but that small amount of data suggests that Emmitt wasn't as special as he's made out to be.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Where Foster was so good was the way he set the defender up so he would have a full head of steam when he blew by and a head start on them.
By the time the defender turned around and got up to speed, Foster already had a 5 yards on them. He had a very deceptive step - only one cut, but it was smooth as silk and devastating.
All good RBs do that. It's a stutter step or hop step. They read what is around them and make a move based on that. Having played RB I know what you are saying. But, Pierce has that ability and it is shown on some film. He also like contact and runs with a great pad level. That helps in 2 ways, first makes him a smaller target that isn't as easy to wrap up. Second, use his vision and lower body (which is thick and powerful) to determine what move he should use on a defensive. No, he isn't as polished as Foster. Foster was a starter and he was the top back in a stable of 3 to 4. However, he has legit shake and bake moves.

Dejaview

All Pro
All good RBs do that. It's a stutter step or hop step. They read what is around them and make a move based on that. Having played RB I know what you are saying. But, Pierce has that ability and it is shown on some film. He also like contact and runs with a great pad level. That helps in 2 ways, first makes him a smaller target that isn't as easy to wrap up. Second, use his vision and lower body (which is thick and powerful) to determine what move he should use on a defensive. No, he isn't as polished as Foster. Foster was a starter and he was the top back in a stable of 3 to 4. However, he has legit shake and bake moves.
Interesting your hop step comment. That hop step Metchie displayed so adeptly in that vid someone posted used it to perfection. Instant separation at the LOS.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Another feature of Foster's running was his acceleration and balance - he was deceptively fast off the mark and could take a hit and stay on his feet.

zshawn10

All Pro
FINDING THE FITS: 10 DAY 3 PICKS SET TO CLICK IN THE NFL

Fourth round, No. 107 overall: Houston Texans — Dameon Pierce, RB, Florida

Perhaps the hardest running tailback in this year’s draft, Pierce was a favorite of draft analysts all over the country, and he is likely to be listed by many as a Day 3 steal. That is because his potential as a lead back couldn’t have been more obvious at Florida, and yet he leaves "The Swamp" with only 329 career carries. By comparison, fellow Day 3 steal Tyler Allgeier (listed lower in this article) had 276 attempts in 2021 alone.

Lovie Smith may be Houston’s new head coach, but he’s as old-school as it gets. He would love to lean on one true bell-cow runner. And let’s face it, the Texans’ current depth chart at running back (Marlon Mack, Rex Burkhead, Royce Freeman and Dare Ogunbowale) is hardly a who’s who of NFL rushing champions. A fierce downhill runner, pass protector and quality receiver whose game projects even better at the NFL level than college, Pierce has a chance to be one of the real steals of this year’s draft.

Porky

Hall of Fame
I'd be thrilled if he became the next Arian Foster for this team. While that would be a very pleasant surprise, I'm really thinking he is primed to be the thunder to a future lead back's lightening. I'd like a one-two punch with each back bringing a different look to the D. Someone that can take it to the house with 4.4 speed and is elusive and good in space and can work well on screens and such. Someone in the 2nd-4th round next year that meets those general criteria. This year Mack will have to be that guy, but I want someone younger/faster/better next year.

Platoon the kid, and that will extend his career. He is very physical but if we run this guy 20+ times a game, he may wear down, get injured, and/or have a short career. I see him as the 8-12 carry guy along with blocking responsibilities.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'd be thrilled if he became the next Arian Foster for this team. While that would be a very pleasant surprise, I'm really thinking he is primed to be the thunder to a future lead back's lightening. I'd like a one-two punch with each back bringing a different look to the D. Someone that can take it to the house with 4.4 speed and is elusive and good in space and can work well on screens and such. Someone in the 2nd-4th round next year that meets those general criteria. This year Mack will have to be that guy, but I want someone younger/faster/better next year.

Platoon the kid, and that will extend his career. He is very physical but if we run this guy 20+ times a game, he may wear down, get injured, and/or have a short career. I see him as the 8-12 carry guy along with blocking responsibilities.
If healthy Mack and Pierce are a very good 1-2 punch. I don't think posters realize how good Mack was before he tore his Achilles.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
If healthy Mack and Pierce are a very good 1-2 punch. I don't think posters realize how good Mack was before he tore his Achilles.
Mack before the achilles was a really good back, I'm just not convinced he's going to get back to being 80% of that guy. I'd like for him to work his way back to that level; I'm just not going to expect or plan for it to happen.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Dameon Pierce is thunder and lightning combined. He likes to punish people, but he also has that hop step, dead leg, and stutter step that makes defenders look stupid.
He's a 4.7 guy. He doesn't have the speed or elusiveness or quicks to be the lightening. If he did, he wouldn't be a 4th round back, he'd be a 2nd rounder. I'm not saying he can't carve out a successful career, and possibly as a lead back, but you can't turn a Chevy 3/4 ton PU into a Ferrari.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
He's a 4.7 guy. He doesn't have the speed or elusiveness or quicks to be the lightening. If he did, he wouldn't be a 4th round back, he'd be a 2nd rounder. I'm not saying he can't carve out a successful career, and possibly as a lead back, but you can't turn a Chevy 3/4 ton PU into a Ferrari.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Mack before the achilles was a really good back, I'm just not convinced he's going to get back to being 80% of that guy. I'd like for him to work his way back to that level; I'm just not going to expect or plan for it to happen.
Nor should we expect it.

Caserio really should sign a RB like Jeff Wilson to protect against Mack injuries or poor performance due to injuries.

Then I would draft a RB high in next years draft.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Mack was a good but not great lead back. 4.5 forty guy so not quite the speedster I want but close. I don't think he's very elusive, just a good overall RB that can do it all. But that was before the injury.

You're thinking he's still going to be the same guy, be able to plant and cut, and be as fast as he was pre-injury?

I think he's ok for this year and he and Pierce are a feasible duo for an NFL team. Not dynamic, not special, but a solid duo is likely IF both are healthy. I still want that special guy that teams have to game plan for and is a threat to take it to the house at any time.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Mack was a good but not great lead back. 4.5 forty guy so not quite the speedster I want but close. I don't think he's very elusive, just a good overall RB that can do it all. But that was before the injury.

You're thinking he's still going to be the same guy, be able to plant and cut, and be as fast as he was pre-injury?

I think he's ok for this year and he and Pierce are a feasible duo for an NFL team. Not dynamic, not special, but a solid duo is likely IF both are healthy. I still want that special guy that teams have to game plan for and is a threat to take it to the house at any time.
And still much better than they had last year with the exception of Ingram.

Porky

Hall of Fame

vtech9

All Pro
Have you watched any of his highlights? He made DB's and LB's look like fools in the open field.