Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston CJ Stroud

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Mods can we rename this thread to

"If I talk long enough and keep repeating what I've already said, will people agree with me?"
We could rename all of them the same thing.
All of the threads could be call that.
Threads on Texans talk could all be named.
I hope you understand that the threads on Texans Talk could all be called
Let rename the threads on Texans

I hope that you now agree with me

Since any thread on Texans talk could be renamed

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Stroud's a genius.

I stand corrected

I expect a guy this smart to play like a veteran day 1.
About time you came around :bunpan:

He also understands gravity of situation and you can bet, conversations about it with DW. A Football players career is generally a short one so if we’re talking four years to become a franchise this could seem like an eternity (first contract) only to find out what next four years bring (honor his contract extension or not). You can bet he’s already had some talk about that as well, whether it be Deshaun or Mulugheta in regards to following contract. You’re right, that it’s going to be “top market” number of what a QB can earn in 2027. Hard to imagine Texans paying that. And if not, hopefully a smoother transition with similar compensation, but in the meantime, can we just enjoy watching the process evolve without breaking each others balls?

"I know the city of Houston hasn't seen a franchise quarterback in a long time and that's something I hope I become."

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Hillshire Farms makes pretty tasty ones. Brush on a little Cattleman's choice (not the smoke flavored) and grill until done.
Nice to see you have your priorities in order.

:coffee:
Hillshire Farms suck. Holmes Smokehouse is the way to go. The Pork & Venison and the Garlic ones are particularly tasty. You don't need no stinking sauce

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Hillshire Farms suck. Holmes Smokehouse is the way to go. The Pork & Venison and the Garlic ones are particularly tasty. You don't need no stinking sauce
I like the H‑E‑B brand as well.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Dick Vermeil record as HC of the Rams without Martz as OC: 9-27

Dick Vermeil record as HC of the Rams with Martz as OC: 16-3 and a Super Bowl win

Vermeil is on record stating that they don't go to the SB without Martz having implemented his offense and developed Warner into an MVP.

But you keep disparaging what the man did in the NFL because he likes Stroud.

As far as keeping it on Stroud, I think where Martz opinion might be bit skewed is because of that famous offense that he implemented. It is system heavy quick read on-script type of stuff which is where Stroud seems to have had a lot of his success in college. If the Slowick offense is going to implement some of that same philosophy, I tend to agree.

Aikman was a Turner system guy and it got him three SB's and a yellow jacket. I'm OK with Stroud being like that.
Aikman was a system guy surrounded by fantastic talent. Aikman was a run-of-the-mill QB. They've won one SB in the salary cap era, when they could no longer field the best teams that money could buy. I hope Stroud is a much better QB than Aikman, but I'll take the 3 SBs if he isn't.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
About time you came around :bunpan:

He also understands gravity of situation and you can bet, conversations about it with DW. A Football players career is generally a short one so if we’re talking four years to become a franchise this could seem like an eternity (first contract) only to find out what next four years bring (honor his contract extension or not). You can bet he’s already had some talk about that as well, whether it be Deshaun or Mulugheta in regards to following contract. You’re right, that it’s going to be “top market” number of what a QB can earn in 2027. Hard to imagine Texans paying that. And if not, hopefully a smoother transition with similar compensation, but in the meantime, can we just enjoy watching the process evolve without breaking each others balls?

"I know the city of Houston hasn't seen a franchise quarterback in a long time and that's something I hope I become."
Or laugh at the Texans org for self inflicted wounds AGAIN.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Aikman was a system guy surrounded by fantastic talent. Aikman was a run-of-the-mill QB. They've won one SB in the salary cap era, when they could no longer field the best teams that money could buy. I hope Stroud is a much better QB than Aikman, but I'll take the 3 SBs if he isn't.
Lol,

Dumb qbs don't win championships.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Or laugh at the Texans org for self inflicted wounds AGAIN.
What satisfaction in that? I’ve moved on from Sauce, that gives me zero compensation or satisfaction. ZERO.
This player environment, with salary caps soaring and teams resetting markets one after another creates a lot of leverage for agents and players alike.

Chargers just compromised with Eckler who had just signed a four year 24.5 million extension in 2020. Incentive loaded, just keeps him on this roster for one more season. Why not honor the contract he just signed? Even though teams are devaluing the RB position and see it as opportunity to save money. Personally feel they’re being underpaid but that doesn’t help stop an employer to pay below market value because they can.

Aaron Rodgers, strained his calf 😭 already in Mini Camp. How does that make Jets fan feel? I’m guessing not super funny for them. Has makings of a truly horrible and costly trade.

Bring up these examples because a player of critical importance, your season hinges on, could be a lot worse that adding a rookie QB on a rookie contract who must build his value and prove his worth. Worst case scenario, give me four years of that. Now he was my pick for the Texans and yours was Will Anderson. Would hope, you’re as happy for me as I am for you? Choose your poison and let’s roll :wesmantexanfan:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What satisfaction in that? I’ve moved on from Sauce, that gives me zero compensation or satisfaction. ZERO.
This player environment, with salary caps soaring and teams resetting markets one after another creates a lot of leverage for agents and players alike.

Chargers just compromised with Eckler who had just signed a four year 24.5 million extension in 2020. Incentive loaded, just keeps him on this roster for one more season. Why not honor the contract he just signed? Even though teams are devaluing the RB position and see it as opportunity to save money. Personally feel they’re being underpaid but that doesn’t help stop an employer to pay below market value because they can.

Aaron Rodgers, strained his calf 😭 already in Mini Camp. How does that make Jets fan feel? I’m guessing not super funny for them. Has makings of a truly horrible and costly trade.

Bring up these examples because a player of critical importance, your season hinges on, could be a lot worse that adding a rookie QB on a rookie contract who must build his value and prove his worth. Worst case scenario, give me four years of that. Now he was my pick for the Texans and yours was Will Anderson. Would hope, you’re as happy for me as I am for you? Choose your poison and let’s roll :wesmantexanfan:
Great post

Unfortunately, I've grown to not care. I don't like where the NFL is headed on a number of fronts and my don't give a crap meter has gone way up. After Derrick and now Stroud and the people they associate with why should I care? Obviously the McNair 's don't so why should I? So I will enjoy visiting with you guys and pointing out things I see and laugh at along the way.

Last edited:

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Apparently that lightning in a bottle lasted more than 1 season since they made the SB the next yr and the playoffs several yrs after that with Vermeil's guys.

I didn't know Martz as an assistant HC/OC had the kind of pull to override the GM/HC decisions on trading for Faulk/drafting Holt/Hakim. Did he also order the GM/HC to sign Green in FA? Man this guy was good, Ryans needs to hire him on as Asst HC/GM tomorrow.
Do you remember what the offense looked like prior to Martz

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Terry scored a 16 on his Wonderlic.
Bradshaw is not the only successful NFL quarterback to bomb on the Wonderlic test. Hall of Fame quarterbacks Dan Marino and Jim Kelly each scored 15. Former NFL stars Steve McNair (15), Randall Cunningham (15) and Daunte Culpepper (18) each scored well below the NFL average for a quarterback.
link

Boris

All Pro
I was a good test taker
Others scored Cs but understood the material better
And that’s just mathematics…no physical element involved

Texansballer74

The Marine
Can't read it.
Bryce Young had to wait for his turn Monday during the first workout of Panthers organized team activities. But that wait didn’t last long during team drills, and once the rookie quarterback got into the huddle, he led the first-team offense for long stretches on the practice field outside of Bank of America Stadium. Veteran Andy Dalton took the first three reps in 11-on-11 drills, but Young quickly inserted himself in the lineup after the initial trio of tosses. From there, the top two quarterbacks rotated with the first-team offense throughout the morning.

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article275660876.html#storylink=cpy

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You need to watch Bradshaw's a Football Life story. He bombed the test on purpose because he didn't want to go to LSU. Anyways out of the group you listed how many championships did they win collectively?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
You need to watch Bradshaw's a Football Life story. He bombed the test on purpose because he didn't want to go to LSU. Anyways out of the group you listed how many championships did they win collectively?
I did, it was on the other day. He didn't want to go to LSU but it had nothing to do with the test. It was just too big. I never said he was dumb, I just questioned what you thought when he was playing. It's disingenuous of you to claim you thought he was smart back then

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
Reading the last few pages.

Hey, hopefully all pans out as it seems. Saying the right things and hearing others talk about the leadership is encouraging.

The issue is and always was whether he'd leave us hanging a few years down the line due to his representation but we won't know that for a while so the only thing we can hope for is for him to be great and love Houston so much he'll never want to leave no matter who or what is in his ear.

Reactions: JB

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Really believe Watson would have still been here (w/exception inappropriate behavior) if they included him in decision making process. All irrelevant now. The Superstars in league are dictating more and more direction a franchise leans towards. Stroud will be one of those too if given input and that input puts Texans over the top.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Really believe Watson would have still been here (w/exception inappropriate behavior) if they included him in decision making process. All irrelevant now. The Superstars in league are dictating more and more direction a franchise leans towards. Stroud will be one of those too if given input and that input puts Texans over the top.
Duck that!!!! The Owner, GM, and HC need to remind the QB that they’ve been brought in and paid to do an assigned job on the field of play. If a QB is offered an opportunity to give his opinion….then that’s all it is, an opinion. In no sane world would a QB be guiding his teams decision making. Any QB that would like that power needs to understand one thing, become a great player, save all your money, dabble in buying into some businesses to gain knowledge, and when your playing days are over…..they could find themselves in a position to get into a buying group. That’s the day you’ll have some decision making capabilities.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Yes, I remember the Paul Brown, Walsh, Air Coryell offenses very well. The Marino offense was very exciting.
Nah, the 1997 and 1998 Rams were led by Jerry Rhome as the OC. They averaged 18 ppg. The next year, they hire Mike Martz and they avg 32 ppg. If Vermiel was such an offensive genius, how did Martz take a dude working at Walmart and turn him into nfl mvp and have an all world offense?

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Really believe Watson would have still been here (w/exception inappropriate behavior) if they included him in decision making process.
How can you separate the two actions? They aren’t exclusive. They both played into each other. Watson wanted out because of the heat he was getting from the sexual assault allegations and made moves to leverage a trade out.

There is a story of how players from the Miami Heat wanted Pat Riley to fire the rookie HC Eric Spoelstra. Riley went to the practice and lined the players up - LeBron, and Wade were included in that line up and told them their job is to play basketball and that’s it. He said he runs the team. Spoelstra is 54, won 2 NBA championships, and is on his way to appear in another championship.

It’s about culture and everyone knowing their role. Cal may not be Riley, but Hannah might be. And Watson is no owner to dictate what he gets.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Duck that!!!! The Owner, GM, and HC need to remind the QB that they’ve been brought in and paid to do an assigned job on the field of play. If a QB is offered an opportunity to give his opinion….then that’s all it is, an opinion. In no sane world would a QB be guiding his teams decision making. Any QB that would like that power needs to understand one thing, become a great player, save all your money, dabble in buying into some businesses to gain knowledge, and when your playing days are over…..they could find themselves in a position to get into a buying group. That’s the day you’ll have some decision making capabilities.
Watson probably had inflated view of himself to make such demands, but clearly wanted more say so and used getting what he wanted as a way out otherwise. Don't know or want to know the specific dynamics, but the don't tell me that a player cannot influence his surroundings. Aaron Rodgers is example 1a (mentioned him above), then you have Patrick Mahomes and Tom Brady's of the world who definitely have voices heard. Would say Watson (past tense) fits into Lamar Jackson QB room discussion but other high demand positions like LT can also make it difficult to retain if demands not met, see Orlando Brown JR (who just wanted paid more).

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Nah, the 1997 and 1998 Rams were led by Jerry Rhome as the OC. They averaged 18 ppg. The next year, they hire Mike Martz and they avg 32 ppg. If Vermiel was such an offensive genius, how did Martz take a dude working at Walmart and turn him into nfl mvp and have an all world offense?

I didn't say Martz wasn't a good OC. I said he didn't have the authority to acquire the talent in trades/draft/fa that you think he did. He was an avg hc, maybe even below avg and he picked the wrong QB to keep.

OptimisticTexan

Watson probably had inflated view of himself to make such demands, but clearly wanted more say so and used getting what he wanted as a way out otherwise. Don't know or want to know the specific dynamics, but the don't tell me that a player cannot influence his surroundings. Aaron Rodgers is example 1a (mentioned him above), then you have Patrick Mahomes and Tom Brady's of the world who definitely have voices heard. Would say Watson (past tense) fits into Lamar Jackson QB room discussion but other high demand positions like LT can also make it difficult to retain if demands not met, see Orlando Brown JR (who just wanted paid more).
Brady, Mahomes, and Rodgers played for exceptional SB winning organizations. Their GM and HC were more than qualified at putting the right talent on the field to keep their respective teams competitive.

Watson was strapped to a shite heep of an organization and OB as a HC. Watson probably should’ve had a lot more say…..hell nothing else was working.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Brady, Mahomes, and Rodgers played for exceptional SB winning organizations. Their GM and HC was more than qualified at putting the right talent on the field to keep their respective teams competitive.

Watson was strapped to a shite heep of an organization and OB as a HC. Watson probably should’ve had a say…..hell nothing else was working.
Yet they made it as far in the playoffs as any other team in franchise history.

It's always everybody else's fault but Derrick's. Can't wait to see how long it will be before it will be everybody else's fault but Stroud’s.

Of course the media loves them some Ryans, so this may never happen.

OptimisticTexan

Yet they made it as far in the playoffs as any other team in franchise history.

It's always everybody else's fault but Derrick's. Can't wait to see how long it will be before it will be everybody else's fault but Stroud’s.

Of course the media loves them some Ryans, so this may never happen.
Your immediate disdain for Watson was far sooner than when Houston fans found out what was really going on….including you. You were the proverbial blind squirrel that found the nut. Had Watson kept his arse in the right lane and focused on the prize, OB would’ve been out and the Texans aren’t entertaining interim HC’s b/c no one else wants to come to Houston. For the record, I mentioned that Watson and Hopkins were in Houston at the wrong time and therefore it would’ve benefitted Houston more to trade both before giving them new contracts. I’m sure there’s a why coming…..b/c between the bad contracts already handed out, lack of talent, lack of cap space, and (2) young superstars needing new contracts…..that’s just a recipe for disaster.

Stroud has come in at a much better time. He’s coming in the front door with what appears to be a much better GM and HC, cap fully under control, more talent, and the majority of young core talent playing on rookie contracts. Also, Stroud has (2) veterans in the QB Room with him…..so having an organization completely and solely leaning on him in season one doesn’t have to be as pressure packed as it has been in the past. This has all the writings of the Texans finally getting it right.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Your immediate disdain for Watson was far sooner than when Houston fans found out what was really going on….including you. You were the proverbial blind squirrel that found the nut. Had Watson kept his arse in the right lane and focused on the prize, OB would’ve been out and the Texans aren’t entertaining interim HC’s b/c no one else wants to come to Houston. For the record, I mentioned that Watson and Hopkins were in Houston at the wrong time and therefore it would’ve benefitted Houston more to trade both before giving them new contracts. I’m sure there’s a why coming…..b/c between the bad contracts already handed out, lack of talent, lack of cap space, and (2) young superstars needing new contracts…..that’s just a recipe for disaster.

Stroud has come in at a much better time. He’s coming in the front door with what appears to be a much better GM and HC, cap fully under control, more talent, and the majority of young core talent playing on rookie contracts. Also, Stroud has (2) veterans in the QB Room with him…..so having an organization completely and solely leaning on him in season one doesn’t have to be as pressure packed as it has been in the past. This has all the writings of the Texans finally getting it right.
Perfectly well said brother Opt. This is exactly how it all went down. And the future looks very darn bright for this franchise. But hey there will always be a select few who wants to see them fail. Why? Well brother Opt we know the why.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I thought Derrick was overrated, then after his rookie season I thought I was wrong and saw promise. By the end of yr 2 I began to wonder again and by the middle of yr 3 I became convinced he was a QB that couldn't play well enough for 4 games in a row that it takes to win a championship. So I was move than ready to move on again and even before the sexual predator stuff, pushing for a new contract after yr 3 told me he was all about getting paid and not winning championships. I feel the same thing is going to happen with Stroud and because he's dumb as a box of rocks but a very talented thrower of the football he will be a middling QB that's going to be overpayed and there will be no championships. But championships are not the goal of the McNairs. Once you take this into account everything becomes clearer. Everybody enjoys watching a good trainwreck every now and then.This doesn't even take into account that Cal did what his dad did with Carr for financial gain and he's going to get exactly what he deserves in the end.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

I thought Derrick was overrated, then after his rookie season I thought I was wrong and saw promise. By the end of yr 2 I began to wonder again and by the middle of yr 3 I became convinced he was a QB that couldn't play well enough for 4 games in a row that it takes to win a championship. So I was .ore than ready to .ove on again and even before the sexual predator stuff, pushing for a new contract after yr 3 told me he was all about getting paid and not winning championships. I feel the sa.e thing is going to happen with Stroud and because he's dumb as a box of rocks but a very talented thrower of the football he will be a middling QB that's going to be overpayed and there will be no championships. But championships are not the goal of the McNairs. Once you take this into account everything beco.es clearer. Everybody enjoys watching a good trainwreck every now and then.This doesn't even take into account that Cal did what his dad did with Carr for financial gain and he's going to get exactly what he deserves in the end.
Aside from Watson’s personal duck ups…..the Texans nor OB never built a complete team around Watson. The same exact thing happened to Mills, a true developmental QB that got tossed to the wolves.

Stroud was drafted and for the very first time, there’s a complete team being constructed around a young QB. This massively benefits Stroud, but it also massively benefits Mills and Keenum. Ryans and Caserio haven’t anointed Stroud the starter and seem more than comfortable with making him earn the QB1 spot. I believe they’re comfortable in having the best QB under center when the season kicks off.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Aside from Watson’s personal duck ups…..the Texans nor OB never built a complete team around Watson. The same exact thing happened to Mills, a true developmental QB that got tossed to the wolves.

Stroud was drafted and for the very first time, there’s a complete team being constructed around a young QB. This massively benefits Stroud, but it also massively benefits Mills and Keenum. Ryans and Caserio haven’t anointed Stroud the starter and seem more than comfortable with making him earn the QB1 spot. I believe they’re more than willing to have the best QB under center when the season kicks off.
Derrick had Hopkins, Fuller, Miller and an ol that had Tunsil, Howard on it. He had talent around d him.

If Stroud isn't the starter then there are issues. You don't draft a guy 1-2 and not plY him. The fans want to to see Stroud and at so.e point, probably game 1, ownership will mandate Strroud over Mills regardless if Mills outplays Stroud or not. See: Eli over Warner.

Porky

Hall of Fame
I thought Derrick was overrated, then after his rookie season I thought I was wrong and saw promise. By the end of yr 2 I began to wonder again and by the middle of yr 3 I became convinced he was a QB that couldn't play well enough for 4 games in a row that it takes to win a championship. So I was .ore than ready to .ove on again and even before the sexual predator stuff, pushing for a new contract after yr 3 told me he was all about getting paid and not winning championships. I feel the sa.e thing is going to happen with Stroud and because he's dumb as a box of rocks but a very talented thrower of the football he will be a middling QB that's going to be overpayed and there will be no championships. But championships are not the goal of the McNairs. Once you take this into account everything beco.es clearer. Everybody enjoys watching a good trainwreck every now and then.This doesn't even take into account that Cal did what his dad did with Carr for financial gain and he's going to get exactly what he deserves in the end.
I will probably regret this but why do you call DW Derrick? Is that supposed to be some sort of sly insult?

Porky

Hall of Fame
Derrick had Hopkins, Fuller, Miller and an ol that had Tunsil, Howard on it. He had talent around d him.

If Stroud isn't the starter then there are issues. You don't draft a guy 1-2 and not plY him. The fans want to to see Stroud and at so.e point, probably game 1, ownership will mandate Strroud over Mills regardless if Mills outplays Stroud or not. See: Eli over Warner.
You forgot the part where none of those guys play D. Your also forgetting how little Fuller played. And who else was on that line? Who were the RB’s? He had some talent, but this was not a loaded offense by any stretch, and the D was epically bad especially his last year here. He would go down and take the lead and the D would promptly give it up. I’m sure that’s somehow Watson’s fault.

Watson had faults but was the best QB this team had ever seen until it all came undone very quickly. Fair criticism is warranted, but some of you folks just like to pile on because you don’t like him. At least admit your critical because you don’t like him.