Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

CJ Stroud is him

A couple of the most intriguing questions involving the Texans and CJ Stroud is:

1) Would the Texans have drafted CJ Stroud ahead of Bryce Young if they had the choice?

2) Where the Texans behind the "CJ's poor S2 test results" mis-information campaign, in an effort to make sure that he was available for them with the second pick?

I think the answer is yes to both questions. This is hypothesis is supported in this interview, by someone that had several conversations with people at the top of the Texans management structure back in April of 2023.

The hiring of Jerrod Johnson, as the Texans QB coach way back March even though he had no (or very little) experience in the Kubiak/Shannahan offensive system as strong evendience that "CJ was always the Texans top pick" also supports this hypothesis.

What Jerrod did have that no one else had, was a history of working with, and coaching CJ Stroud at a critical time in CJ's football career. Jerrod's coaching efforts had a significant impact on CJ Stroud's career. And Jerrod is one person that CJ had trust and belief in.

I have always believed that Jerrod's hiring with basically no experience in the in coming offensive scheme, was very strong circumstantial evidence, that the Texans had CJ Stroud as their top rated QB from the very beginning.

Last edited:
A couple of the most intriguing questions involving the Texans and CJ Stroud is:

1) Would the Texans have drafted CJ Stroud ahead of Bryce Young if they had the choice?

2) Where the Texans behind the "CJ's poor S2 test results" mis-information campaign, in an effort to make sure that he was available for them with the second pick?

I think the answer is yes to both questions. This is hypothesis is supported in this interview, by someone that had several conversations with people at the top of the Texans management structure back in April of 2023.

The hiring of Jerrod Johnson, as the Texans QB coach way back March even though he had no (or very little) experience in the Kubiak/Shannahan offensive system as strong evendience that "CJ was always the Texans top pick" also supports this hypothesis.

What Jerrod did have that no one else had, was a history of working with, and coaching CJ Stroud at a critical time in CJ's football career. Jerrod's coaching efforts had a significant impact on CJ Stroud's career. And Jerrod is one person that CJ had trust and belief in.

I have always believed that Jerrod's hiring with basically no experience in the in coming offensive scheme, was very strong circumstantial evidence, that the Texans had CJ Stroud as their top rated QB from the very beginning.
Jerrod Johnson's only football experience was with teams that run the WCO with HC or OC traced back to Shanahan, Andy Reid, or Gary Kubiak.

In college, he played in a WCO under Sherman, a former OC of the Texans under Kubiak.

Robert Woods.pngWoods 2.png

Holllleeeeeeee Shittttt. There is a reason "QB School" called him a top 5 QB already. FYI, Woods didn't catch this ball because he turned his head extremely late, but the ball actually clipped his hands. It was a wild throw.

Think about the processing. He threw this with anticipation and poise despite a free running 280 pound defensive end barreling in. All while recognizing the defenders leverage who was in front of Woods. His film is littered with throws like this.

View attachment 13032View attachment 13033

Holllleeeeeeee Shittttt. There is a reason "QB School" called him a top 5 QB already. FYI, Woods didn't catch this ball because he turned his head extremely late, but the ball actually clipped his hands. It was a wild throw.

Think about the processing. He threw this with anticipation and poise despite a free running 280 pound defensive end barreling in. All while recognizing the defenders leverage who was in front of Woods. His film is littered with throws like this.
I can't wait to watch this. Except I have to wait to watch this. :(

This doesn't hold much water, as the Texans don't subscribe to the S2 test and have their own propriety tests. More likely a team drafting below the Texans, like the Raiders or Titans.

Last edited:
I think it was always close. Both had brilliant college careers. Both had advantages over the other. I thought the agent selection may have hurt Stroud at the end, but Caserio made a strong point publicly during the draft period that it was not the case.

Caserio had a chance to trade up for the top pick, and eventually declined. Probably because they felt they could roll with either QB, and needed the draft capital to move up for Anderson. And while Cal was upset the Texans won in Indy, dropping to #2, that was prior to the DeMeco hiring. Ryans preference at QB was unknown.

There are people who think they know, but the evidence points to a secret plan between Caserio and Ryans. And they're never telling.

I think it was always close. Both had brilliant college careers. Both had advantages over the other. I thought the agent selection may have hurt Stroud at the end, but Caserio made a strong point publicly during the draft period that it was not the case.

Caserio had a chance to trade up for the top pick, and eventually declined. Probably because they felt they could roll with either QB, and needed the draft capital to move up for Anderson. And while Cal was upset the Texans won in Indy, dropping to #2, that was prior to the DeMeco hiring. Ryans preference at QB was unknown.

There are people who think they know, but the evidence points to a secret plan between Caserio and Ryans. And they're never telling.

We will never know the truth but the only damning evidence was that they took Jerrod Johnson as the QB Coach.

The same guy who coached CJ in Elite 11 who was not considered a West Coast Disciple.

Brooks Kubena also predraft when many speculated Stroud at 1 said that Stroud and Young were considered equals.

Then you look at the Texans who had an opportunity to go number 1 and didn't.

I also don't call myself some film savant, but after watching both guys film there were two things you could take away that the media failed to mention.

Stroud was a great processor and he moved every bit as good as guys like Burrow etc. You compare size at that point and im not sure how Stroud isn't the choice.

After getting to know both guys in predraft.

They still gambled there future on Stroud's potential. A big time move but also something that shows what they really thought of CJ.

I heard the media report from Glazer saying the Texans would have taken Young. That is bullshit. Nobody has sources pre draft, and you really think they would leak that post draft. Hilarious.

I hope the Texans lit Glazer up.

CJ wasn't chosen 1, because the owner let the media dictate his feelings.

Incredible turn of events.

I don't get why people (not you) use this as some kind of proof that Cal wanted Young. The team was terrible all year, and in a position to get the #1 pick - if your a bad team and have a chance at the #1 overall you obviously want it, then you are in control of your own destiny. Whether you trade the pick for a haul (like Chicago did) or you can take any player you want - what if Carolina had taken Stroud? No point in sucking all year to get the second or third pick.

Then you look at the Texans who had an opportunity to go number 1 and didn't.
That tells me the Texans weren't locked in on one particular guy. If they had to have one guy in particular & they thought he was the real deal, no way you leave that to chance.

I heard the media report from Glazer saying the Texans would have taken Young. That is bullshit.
Just curious, why is it important to you to believe the Texans were sold on Stroud? What we're seeing right now is unbelievable right now. We're seeing it & can't believe it. No way anyone could have imagined it back then.

Last edited:
I don't get why people (not you) use this as some kind of proof that Cal wanted Young. The team was terrible all year, and in a position to get the #1 pick - if your a bad team and have a chance at the #1 overall you obviously want it, then you are in control of your own destiny. Whether you trade the pick for a haul (like Chicago did) or you can take any player you want - what if Carolina had taken Stroud? No point in sucking all year to get the second or third pick.
I agree. Despite the people and media who claim to know, no one knows for sure. Young was the presumptive #1 pick at the time. And people assumed from there. One also has to remember that there was a large assumption the Texans did not want to deal with Stroud's agent, as he was also Watson's agent. Many assumptions that in the end proved to be incorrect. But they were not unreasonable to assume that it was true.

Yep. The MEDIA wanted Young at 1.1. That's all we know. :tearup:

Beyond that is speculation, and even if someone thinks they know, I'd say they were just a link in a Texans psyop operation to keep everyone guessing.

Reality is the ONLY people that know the truth are inside NRG, and they aren't talking about it.

But none of that really matters, because CJ is a Texan and NOBODY had any clue about his true superstar potential until these 9 games ('cept maybe his mama, of course).

Brooks Kubena also predraft when many speculated Stroud at 1 said that Stroud and Young were considered equals.
That's true, and it made sense at the time. But didn't Brooks get that information from his own reporting months prior? Things could have changed.

Some people, even hardcore football fans, can't understand the intense interest of the draft. For the people who are interested, it's the unknown. Trying to guess who's going to do what to whom. There's a ton of intrigue. That's always been what has pulled me in, along with hoping my team does well.

I agree. Despite the people and media who claim to know, no one knows for sure. Young was the presumptive #1 pick at the time. And people assumed from there. One also has to remember that there was a large assumption the Texans did not want to deal with Stroud's agent, as he was also Watson's agent. Many assumptions that in the end proved to be incorrect. But they were not unreasonable to assume that it was true.
No sir that’s where you are wrong lol one particular party on here knows exactly what they were doing. And and they know exactly who was pulling the strings. Cal, Hannah, Nick and Ryans are all liars. Cal and Hannah both said they let football guys make the football decisions. While Nick and Meco said it was a collective decision between the both of them.

As for who the organization had higher between Bryce and CJ I personally think we had Bryce higher, but that's just my opinion and it's truly unimportant now.

I also think Bryce is getting held back right now with the scheme that Carolina is currently running by playing football from 10+ years ago. Not too dissimilar from what Pep Hamilton (and even Lovie with his defense) was attempting here last year.

Overall though even if Bryce is probably better than what he currently looks like there's still no way he's in the tier that CJ is. What he's doing and what he is is truly something special. So special I'm honestly getting worried about the offseason because his hype and fame will be humongous and I want him hungry and ready to continue to develop for next season.

As for who the organization had higher between Bryce and CJ I personally think we had Bryce higher, but that's just my opinion and it's truly unimportant now.

I also think Bryce is getting held back right now with the scheme that Carolina is currently running by playing football from 10+ years ago. Not too dissimilar from what Pep Hamilton (and even Lovie with his defense) was attempting here last year.

Overall though even if Bryce is probably better than what he currently looks like there's still no way he's in the tier that CJ is. What he's doing and what he is is truly something special. So special I'm honestly getting worried about the offseason because his hype and fame will be humongous and I want him hungry and ready to continue to develop for next season.

Bryce was awful his last game.

But you are 100% right that his scheme is killing him.

The scary part is that he showed some regression from even his college tape last game.

The situation is starting to hurt him in potentially irreversible ways.

They need to have a Miami Dolphin like reset.

Bryce was awful his last game.

But you are 100% right that his scheme is killing him.

The scary part is that he showed some regression from even his college tape last game.

The situation is starting to hurt him in potentially irreversible ways.

They need to have a Miami Dolphin like reset.
Absolutely. They need new blood in there with modern ideas. Not someone who is credited for being good because he coached Phillip Rivers 30 years ago.

They did bring in a new play caller, but it looks like it's under the Bill O'Brien school of play calling where you put in someone young and promising, but ultimately you're handcuffing them into play-calling your ancient behind the times scheme.

Hopefully Carolina sees through the ruse and gets rid of Reich but chances are high they fall for the same thing our org did and end up putting the ax to the fall guy at OC or the GM just like we did for years.

Back