Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Christian Harris

I've seen comparisons between Harris and Derrick Brooks pertaining to Lovies cover 2, and physically I think it's a valid comparison.
But Brooks was a Will.
Is there confirmation that Harris will be a Mike? Or is there a chance that Lovie is trying to fill that Brooks role?

I do see Harris at Mike on the current depth chart. How official is that?

I’d like to see Harris take over the Mike role. That ability to drop back in coverage was sorely missing last year and is vital to this defense’s success. If Harris can be that guy it will make things much more difficult for offenses.

KGH can handle will duties this year and possibly find a stud to pair with Harris and grow together in this defense long term next year.

I’d like to see Harris take over the Mike role. That ability to drop back in coverage was sorely missing last year and is vital to this defense’s success. If Harris can be that guy it will make things much more difficult for offenses.

KGH can handle will duties this year and possibly find a stud to pair with Harris and grow together in this defense long term next year.

How would you compare Harris to a guy like Darrius Leonard?

How would you compare Harris to a guy like Darrius Leonard?

Leonard was a superior prospect coming out. Longer and stronger at point of attack to shed blocks. Freakish for a LB 34 3/8” arms and 10 1/4” hands compared to Harris 32 3/4” arms and 9 5/8” hands which is more average for LBs.

Harris is a faster more athletic player coming out but Leonard was more “instinctive” and plays faster than timed. Not a surprise Harris is less instinctive as he just started playing LB in college. You would hope the LB friendly scheme and more experience allows him to continue to develop the innate instinctive play that is needed to become an all pro LB.

Not a knock on Harris just Leonard is one of the best LBs in the league and it was not a surprise that he was a good player as he was a good prospect already coming out of college.

A dream scenario would be a LB similar profile to Leonard is available next year’s draft to pair with Harris long term. Give Lovie this era’s Brian Urlacher/Lance Briggs combo. Or Derrick Brooks/Hardy Nickerson.

A dream scenario would be a LB similar profile to Leonard is available next year’s draft to pair with Harris long term. Give Lovie this era’s Brian Urlacher/Lance Briggs combo. Or Derrick Brooks/Hardy Nickerson.
I agree. With this & everything you said in this post. Which is why I disagree with everything you said in the previous post.

Make Harris the Will. Now & forever. Find your Mike next year.

Leonard was a superior prospect coming out. Longer and stronger at point of attack to shed blocks. Freakish for a LB 34 3/8” arms and 10 1/4” hands compared to Harris 32 3/4” arms and 9 5/8” hands which is more average for LBs.

Harris is a faster more athletic player coming out but Leonard was more “instinctive” and plays faster than timed. Not a surprise Harris is less instinctive as he just started playing LB in college. You would hope the LB friendly scheme and more experience allows him to continue to develop the innate instinctive play that is needed to become an all pro LB.

Not a knock on Harris just Leonard is one of the best LBs in the league and it was not a surprise that he was a good player as he was a good prospect already coming out of college.

Hopefully Harris instincts will improve as he gains more experience. It's not like he's got poor instincts now. They should really improve under Lovie's tutelage.

Great motor and skills in general. Not ideal height, listed at 6' 1" but some say more 5' 11" 6' max. 220-ish. Kid can play but sounds somewhat like a big Safety.

Christian Harris named by The Athletic as Texans breakout candidate for 2023.

"LB Christian Harris

The 2022 third-round pick out of Alabama missed all of training camp, the preseason and the first five weeks of the regular season while recovering from hamstring injuries and then played the final 12 games, starting 11 of them while accumulating 74 tackles (six for a loss) and a sack. Benefiting from that playing time, a healthy offseason and the arrival of linebacker-turned-head coach DeMeco Ryans, Harris seems primed for a big year as one of Houston’s leading defensive playmakers. — Mike Jones"

I thought Harris would improve from his rookie season. But with LB whisperer DeMeco Ryans as his HC, I definitely expect Christian to make some noise in 2023.

Last edited:
Christian Harris named by The Athletic as Texans breakout candidate for 2023.

"LB Christian Harris

The 2022 third-round pick out of Alabama missed all of training camp, the preseason and the first five weeks of the regular season while recovering from hamstring injuries and then played the final 12 games, starting 11 of them while accumulating 74 tackles (six for a loss) and a sack. Benefiting from that playing time, a healthy offseason and the arrival of linebacker-turned-head coach DeMeco Ryans, Harris seems primed for a big year as one of Houston’s leading defensive playmakers. — Mike Jones"

I thought Harris would improve from his rookie season. But with LB whisperer DeMeco Ryans as his HC, I definitely expect Christian to make so noise in 2023.

I expect him to be a key piece in this defense. If Perryman is healthy and able to mentor him like DeMeco did for Cushing, our LB unit will be a-ok.

Back