Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Christian Harris

badboy

Hall of Fame
In Dec 2020, he suffered his only significant injury............a shoulder injury that was reported as a "deep shoulder bruise." But he had pain and muscle tenderness and decreased range of motion which was actually consistent with a shoulder pointer. Should not have any residual.
That was my understanding as to why he started a bit hesitant in 2021. He loosened up as season progressed as he became more confidant he could still tackle.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
I think his sacks and hurries were not so much on blitzes but where he read the play and pick right avenue after others disrupted QB. Very football smart guy IMO. Had a lull in coverage during early part of season as I recall but then put it together.
He believes in pressure from the front 4 mainly. Meaning that you want one or multiple DLmen who can get after the QB. He will blitz a LB or DB at times too. Harris is perfect for the D Lovie is trying to run.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Christian Harris is one of the fastest Linebackers in 2022 draft running a 4.44 forty. Pretty sure Alabama coaching preaches wrapping up and teaching sound technique. Can cover TE’s track down RB’s and willing to put his hat on & plug the hole in short yardage (which if he misses, does lead to missed tackles). Plus edge/blitzer with relentless motor. I’ve seen him stoned by Guards but he was outweighed by 100 lbs.

However, would say this, Nakobi Dean was still on the board, no way I would have passed on him here. From intelligence standpoint, leadership and production he was easily highest graded LB not only 3rd rd. but 2nd as well.

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
Christian Harris is one of the fastest Linebackers in 2022 draft running a 4.44 forty. Pretty sure Alabama coaching preaches wrapping up and teaching sound technique. Can cover TE’s track down RB’s and willing to put his hat on & plug the hole in short yardage (which if he misses, does lead to missed tackles). Plus edge/blitzer with relentless motor. I’ve seen him stoned by Guards but he was outweighed by 100 lbs.
He's fast, and he does hustle. But he's going to be outweighed by guys in the pros, too. That won't change as the competition level increases.

However, would say this, Nakobi Dean was still on the board, no way I would have passed on him here. From intelligence standpoint, leadership and production he was easily highest graded LB not only 3rd rd. but 2nd as well.
For sure. I also like Chenal more as an ILB (though I think Harris may be best at OLB, in which case I see the reason for Harris over Chenal).

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
Kareem Jackson was one of the best tacklers I'd ever seen when he came out of Alabama.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Kareem Jackson was one of the best tacklers I'd ever seen when he came out of Alabama.
Much like Kareem. Remember he struggled as a press corner, but in zone or as a Safety all that positioning, hard hitting tackling came to life. So he (Harris) needs to be patient, keep his position assignment, read and react to the ball. He has plenty of natural speed.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
For me the number 1 training camp battle to watch is Christian Harris vs Kamu Grugier-Hill. Whoever does not win the starting job will be sent to the role of special teams ace and be brought back in for nickel packages. Frank Ross must be excited!

Harris is almost too fast. I think the cons of him being a “slow processor/misses tackles” would disappear if he were a 4.6 guy. On his missed tackles its almost like his body flies past where his brain tells him to go. I don’t think he is a “dumb player” for lack of a better term. I just think its harder to make those small adjustments mid-movement when you can run like he can.

Hopefully a shift to the WILL LB position and time being coached up in the NFL will limit those issues. Because his ability to trigger to the football is special. You just don’t see many legit 4.4 guys playing LB.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't be surprised for Harris to figure into the mike as opposed to the will discussion because of Lovie's scheme. In that Tampa 2 (cover-3 shell), you've got to have a mike who is fast and able to drop back fast into that middle zone. Kirksey doesn't have that kind of athleticism and it left the middle zone of our coverage exposed all last season.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't be surprised for Harris to figure into the mike as opposed to the will discussion because of Lovie's scheme. In that Tampa 2 (cover-3 shell), you've got to have a mike who is fast and able to drop back fast into that middle zone. Kirksey doesn't have that kind of athleticism and it left the middle zone of our coverage exposed all last season.
Good point. I figured him for WILL due to his speed to run and chase sideline to sideline but MIKE might be better fit. Especially if they have Pitre playing closer to the line of scrimmage to take advantage of his blitzing/run support like Baylor did.

Harris looks and moves like a DB in coverage and was a CB in high school. At any rate, if he doesn’t beat out Kirksey then he’d most certainly come in for nickel duties just like against KGH.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Good point. I figured him for WILL due to his speed to run and chase sideline to sideline but MIKE might be better fit. Especially if they have Pitre playing closer to the line of scrimmage to take advantage of his blitzing/run support like Baylor did.

Harris looks and moves like a DB in coverage and was a CB in high school. At any rate, if he doesn’t beat out Kirksey then he’d most certainly come in for nickel duties just like against KGH.
We were lacking speed in that area. So drafting both Pitre and Harris hopefully helps in that department. We we’re getting killed by Tight ends, slot receivers and running backs in that area of the field.
I don’t see him beating out KGH, therefore I can see them using him a lot in nickel situation.
If KGH gets hurt then Harris will be the guy.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don’t see him beating out KGH, therefore I can see them using him a lot in nickel situation.
You're saying we're going to take a LB off the field & replace him with a LB?

Say our base defense is KGH, Kirksey, Pierre-Louis

Then when they go nickel they change it to KGH, Kirksey, Harris?

Or are you saying they'll go Kirksey, Harris, DB?

I do find it interesting that Harris is just a better version of Wallow.

zshawn10

All Pro

Tons of teams passed on him and him refusing to get surgery was a major red flag

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I trust that Lovie knows LB's.