Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Charles Omenihu DE from Texas

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Ejiofor is Whitney's backup (though he can kick inside on pass rush downs as well). Omenihu is DL depth and a fun chess piece for Weaver and co. to develop
Okay.
Looks like he can play DE and he is fast. I hope he is quick too - will push for a spot somewhere.

zshawn10

All Pro
The Texans got PFF's No. 75 prospect, Charles Omenihu, at pick 161.

That 86 spot difference is third among any player in this draft thus far, behind just PFF_Lions</a>' Amani Oruwariye (110) and <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF_Jets?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">PFF_Jets' Blake Cashman (98).

— PFF HOU Texans (@PFF_Texans) April 27, 2019

The #Texans needed to add to their defensive line rotation, and they did that by drafting Texas' Charles Omenihu with the 161st pick. Here's @dpbrugler's analysis of him. pic.twitter.com/vY06nyLILq

— Aaron Reiss (@aaronjreiss) April 27, 2019

Charles Omenihu – another Longhorn in the building now… pic.twitter.com/4HARPm2jRE

— John Harris (@jharrisfootball) April 27, 2019

Newest #Texans DE Charles Omenihu (5th round pick out of Texas) on what kind of player the #Texans are getting: "They're going to get a long athletic defensive linemen that can play inside and out. A guy thats definitely going to be a sponge to JJ and Jadeveon". #TexansDraft

— SportsRadio 610 (@SportsRadio610) April 27, 2019

Charles Omenihu: 'My chip isn't a chip, it's a boulder. I'm ready to earn my stripes and do everything I can to contribute to this team.' He said he wore No. 7 in HS because of Jadeveon Clowney and No. 90 because of him. 'It's crazy I get to work with him now.'

— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) April 27, 2019

New #Texans defensive lineman Charles Omenihu, the 161st pick, has 36-inch arms, which ranks in the 98th percentile of DL in this class. https://t.co/icAe8CQTWU

— Aaron Reiss (@aaronjreiss) April 27, 2019

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I like Omenihu... His biggest issue, IMO, is that he needs to play with a lower base. Every athletic movement he makes is either straight up (when in pursuit) or leaning/lunging forward with his pads way in front of his feet. If they can clean that up, he will be a steal!
What do you think we're going to do with him? Stand him up & move him around like Clowney, or keep a hand on the ground & move him around like Watt?

Doesn't look like he's big/strong enough to play inside like Jj. Don't look fast enough to stand him up outside like Clowney.

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
What do you think we're going to do with him? Stand him up & move him around like Clowney, or keep a hand on the ground & move him around like Watt?

Doesn't look like he's big/strong enough to play inside like Jj. Don't look fast enough to stand him up outside like Clowney.
Ideally he's a 4-3 SDE, but since we run RAC's defense I'd say they use him as a sub-package interior rusher while developing him as a 5-tech.

His frame and wingspan is classic 5' technique, but as you said he doesn't have quite the strength yet to hold his ground there.

Texanmike02

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Have to wonder if it isn't a dual purpose pick. Combine this with trade rumors. If Clowney wants to stay here vs being shipped to Cleveland (I know they're supposed to be better, but we hear that every year) maybe he shaves his requirement a bit.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
He needs to improve his anchor and eyes. If he's on the field early it will be in nickle and dime packages.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Ideally he's a 4-3 SDE, but since we run RAC's defense I'd say they use him as a sub-package interior rusher while developing him as a 5-tech.

His frame and wingspan is classic 5' technique, but as you said he doesn't have quite the strength yet to hold his ground there.
Agreed

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
He said he wore No. 7 in HS because of Jadeveon Clowney and No. 90 in college because of him. 'It's crazy I get to work with him now.'

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Mark Berman‏@MarkBermanFox26 4h4 hours ago
Jadeveon Clowney(@clownejd)on #Texans 5th-round pick Charles Omenihu(@charless_94),DE from Texas,who says he looked up to&wants to b like Jadeveon-wore his jersey# n high school&college:"That's big.I'm glad I can be a role model.Hopefully when he gets there I'll still be there.."

**************************************************************************************************************************

— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) April 27, 2019
Thank you to @HoustonTexans for giving me this opportunity of a life time I will promise you this I will make you guys proud and the city of Houston head down ready to work.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Big 12 DL of the year. You can't teach his measurables. But you can teach technique to get the most out of those measurables.
I did not know !
I'm a huge Texans & NFL fan but don't watch much college ball or even follow closely some area teams like UT or the Aggies so I'd not even herd of this guy. Fact is the only draftees I knew anything about were the two tackles we took but Iv'e checked out this guy some and he seems like a clear third round value so good job Mr Gaine.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Big 12 DL of the year. You can't teach his measurables. But you can teach technique to get the most out of those measurables.
I did not know !
I'm a huge Texans & NFL fan but don't watch much college ball or even follow closely some area teams like UT or the Aggies so I'd not even heard of this guy. Fact is the only draftees I knew anything about were the two tackles we took but Iv'e checked out this guy some and he seems like a clear third round value so good job Mr Gaine.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I liked John Harris reaction when the pick came in, “ forgot he was still on the board, wow, this is a great pick” or something to that effect.

Always loved his player evaluations him and a Lance back in the day on 1560 lol now look both have moved up the boards themselves :clap:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I liked John Harris reaction when the pick came in, “ forgot he was still on the board, wow, this is a great pick” or something to that effect.
We we're all concentrating on DBs and RBs, and the other positions got lost. Similar to the 3rd round pick, where no one was thinking TE. A lot like the Reid pick, last year. "Justin Reid is still on the board? WTF?"

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

Always loved his player evaluations him and a Lance back in the day on 1560 lol now look both have moved up the boards themselves :clap:
I remember Harris having a nuclear meltdown when the Texans drafted Brown. We all have our opinions and even the ones getting paid to make these decisions get it wrong, often. Of course, Harris works for the machine now so I doubt he ever has a negative take ever again.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
The fact that he fell so much is kind of a red flag to me. Sounds like he's a good athlete but sucks at dealing with change of direction

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The fact that he fell so much is kind of a red flag to me. Sounds like he's a good athlete but sucks at dealing with change of direction
Kinda like Nix. Or that other dude we got from UT, thought he was a steal. Didn't do nothing.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I’m really excited to see Omenihu along with the UDFA NTs Albert Huggins and Javier Edwards going into training camp/preseason. You just know they are going to be put in the best position to succeed with Weaver coaching them up and learning from guys like JJ, Reader and (hopefully) Clowney.

JWLCASPER

Waterboy
One more combine comparison on the night for our Texans draft (see Lonnie Johnson and Tytus Howard threads respectively). After Houston took Omenihu I went to look at one recent and one “superb” comparison from the past decade. These are the two notable names to compare Omenihu as he develops. Chandler Jones and Deatrich Wise Jr. This was absolutely a RAC endorsed pick.

Charles Omenihu - Texans - 5.161
Height 6' 5"
Weight 280 lbs
Arm Length 36"
Hand Size 9 3/8"
40 Yard Dash 4.92s
Vertical Jump 36.5"
Broad Jump 115"
3-Cone Drill 7.48s
20 Yard Shuttle 4.36s
Bench Press 15 reps(unofficial non combine)

Deatrich Wise Jr. - Patriots - 4.131
Height 6' 5"
Weight 274 lbs
Arm Length 35⅝"
Hand Size 10½"
40 Yard Dash 4.92s
Vertical Jump 33"
Broad Jump 125"
3-Cone Drill 7.07s
20 Yard Shuttle 4.36s
Bench Press 22 reps

Chandler Jones - Patriots - 1.21
Height 6' 5"
Weight 266 lbs
Arm Length 35½"
Hand Size 9¾"
40 Yard Dash 4.87s
Vertical Jump 35"
Broad Jump 120"
3-Cone Drill 7.07s
20 Yard Shuttle 4.38s
Bench Press 22 reps

HaveMercy

Passing Through
I daresay JJ will have a tip or three for him.
I am just as excited with this guy as any of our other picks!
Let him learn from Weaver AND Watt. JJ uses his arms and hands as good as anyone I've ever seen. It's like he is two moves ahead of most O linemen. If Charles O can learn JJ's moves, we'll really have something. While we're at it, let's get Ejiofor in on some of that good technique. Throw in solid work from the Texans S&C folks and we'll be giving other QB's less time to work against our DB's.
Can't explain it, I'm just feeling optimistic tonight. As much as I liked Christian Covington, he seems to have peaked. Time to let these young guys to grow into their potential.

Last edited:

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Let him learn from Weaver AND Watt. JJ uses his arms and hands as good as anyone I've ever seen. It's like he is two moves ahead of most O linemen. If Charles O can learn JJ's moves, we'll really have something. While we're at it, let's get Ejiofor in on some of that good technique. Throw in solid work from the Texans S&C folks and we'll be giving other QB's less time to work against our DB's.
Can't explain it, I'm just feeling optimistic tonight. As much as I liked Christian Covington, he seems to have peaked. Time to let these young guys to grow into their potential.
I had really high hopes for Covington and Carlos Watkins for that matter.
I thought Cov had been released? I could be wrong.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Daniel Jeremiah‏Verified account@MoveTheSticks

Top Value picks Edge Rusher
Team Name School My Value/Pick (Diff)

TEN De'Andre Walker UGA 90/168 (+78)
DAL Joe Jackson MIA 116/165 (+49)
NO Kaden Elliss Idaho 200/244 (+44)
HOU Charles Omenihu TX 126/161 (+35)
DET Austin Bryant Clemson 83/117 (+34)

PFF HOU Texans‏@PFF_Texans 20h20 hours ago
PFF HOU Texans Retweeted Daniel Jeremiah

PFF was even higher on Omenihu than Jeremiah, as he was taken 86 spots after his ranking of No. 75.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Daniel Jeremiah‏Verified account@MoveTheSticks

Top Value picks Edge Rusher
Team Name School My Value/Pick (Diff)

TEN De'Andre Walker UGA 90/168 (+78)
DAL Joe Jackson MIA 116/165 (+49)
NO Kaden Elliss Idaho 200/244 (+44)
HOU Charles Omenihu TX 126/161 (+35)
DET Austin Bryant Clemson 83/117 (+34)

PFF HOU Texans‏@PFF_Texans 20h20 hours ago
PFF HOU Texans Retweeted Daniel Jeremiah

PFF was even higher on Omenihu than Jeremiah, as he was taken 86 spots after his ranking of No. 75.
Interesting how highly he’s valued. More film I watch gives me unease which is why I can see why he fell to Texans in 5th. I see the big splash plays he makes but also see times when he’s a liability. Not sure if he’ll be able to make enough plays in the NFL to make up for times when he’ll be thoroughly beaten. NFL teams hate having a guy that can be a liability on the field unless they make up for it with big time plays sprinkled in.

For that type of player think 4/5 round range is a good risk/reward spot for him. And luckily we’ve got a heck of a coach in Weaver to develop him.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
For that type of player think 4/5 round range is a good risk/reward spot for him. And luckily we’ve got a heck of a coach in Weaver to develop him.
Joker you are one of several, maybe many posters who seems to have a high regard for Dline coach Weaver, so just the opposite opinion of the guy coaching Texans players on the other side of the los ? Do I read that correctly ?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Joker you are one of several, maybe many posters who seems to have a high regard for Dline coach Weaver, so just the opposite opinion of the guy coaching Texans players on the other side of the los ? Do I read that correctly ?
Correct. I think Weaver is a rising star and has a pedigree now having developed a late round pick (Reader) into a quality starter along with street FA Blackson and UDFA Brandon Dunn being solid contributors. Covington also in that solid contributor bucket. Think he has something to do with Watt/Clowney’s success as well obviously but developing other players into viable NFL players with little investment is the bigger feather in his cap imo.