Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Welcome to H-Town Jarrett Patterson

Texans are addressing the trenches in this draft! Surprised at the player selection. Successful team captain starting 46 games at center and guard for Notre Dame. But scouting reports seem to suggest he’d be a better fit in a gap scheme like we ran last season. But I am happy they are double dipping on the interior OL adding much needed competition and depth to protect the shiny new franchise QB. He has a good chance of making the team which is going to be tough to do at this point in the draft for any of these prospects now that the Texans have improved their roster.

Him and Scruggs will be competing with Dieter for the Center job. Good competition breeds better players.

Deiter is a dark horse. Former 3rd round pick, All American and Big Ten OL of the year that lost his starting job in Miami due to injury. I expect him to make the team. Whether he is a starter or quality depth remains to be seen.

And of course Quessenberry has a year of starting experience under his belt now along with a change to a more favorable scheme for his talents. Though him and Morrisey may still be hard pressed to make the team.

Has dealt with a number of injuries in his college career. In 2020, he suffered a Lisfranc which did not require surgery. In 2021, he suffered a pectoral rupture while weight lifting which required surgery. Last year in preseason, he suffered a turf toe. His injury history is a significant factor in his sliding in the Draft.

Deiter is a dark horse. Former 3rd round pick, All American and Big Ten OL of the year that lost his starting job in Miami due to injury. I expect him to make the team. Whether he is a starter or quality depth remains to be seen.

And of course Quessenberry has a year of starting experience under his belt now along with a change to a more favorable scheme for his talents. Though him and Morrisey may still be hard pressed to make the team.
I don't have much hope for Quessenberry to miraculously change in the WCO..............he will still be overpowered and his poor footwork will be further exposed.

You might click on Fisher in article. Former left tackle who was unjured then moved to right tackle due to Alt's success at left.

Has dealt with a number of injuries in his college career. In 2020, he suffered a Lisfranc which did not require surgery. In 2021, he suffered a pectoral rupture while weight lifting which required surgery. Last year in preseason, he suffered a turf toe. His injury history is a significant factor in his sliding in the Draft.

I saw that also. I like the ability to play across the line at any position. Not a bad pick, just hope that his injury history is behind him. Great back up for every OL position and if he stays healthy...he has the ability to become a starter at some point. Just my opinion and the injuries are a concern

Silly of me, but i am concerned about the turf toe.

Turf toe is at times a nagging and reoccurring injury. So, being careful about how it is treated and literally the way they tape or wrap the ankle and foot before a game can honestly help or hinder continued issues. To fully understand what turf toe is and how to treat it and maybe prevent it. I posted an article below

Turf toe is at times a nagging and reoccurring injury. So, being careful about how it is treated and literally the way they tape or wrap the ankle and foot before a game can honestly help or hinder continued issues. To fully understand what turf toe is and how to treat it and maybe prevent it. I posted an article below

Yeah Doc has addressed this often over the years.

I think they leave well enough alone with center this year. He’s not getting a ton of movement in the run game, but all in all, he’s holding up well and I don’t personally see the value in rocking the boat. Patterson has been a pleasant surprise.

When Juice returns, he should be cross-trained at LG and C, and if he does well in practice work him in at LG.

The Texans e.p
I think they leave well enough alone with center this year. He’s not getting a ton of movement in the run game, but all in all, he’s holding up well and I don’t personally see the value in rocking the boat. Patterson has been a pleasant surprise.

When Juice returns, he should be cross-trained at LG and C, and if he does well in practice work him in at LG.
The Texans employ some 2-back sets and some 2-TE sets so basically, the interior linemen get more help in pass pro than most teams.

Are you talking Scruggs or Patterson in your last paragraph?

Patterson should only get better now that he’s getting all this valuable experience. I hope he becomes a 10 year starter for us.

Start the better player regardless of the position. Patterson has proven that he can play the center role as he did in 2021 College and there's no reason to think that he can't be just as good at left guard as he was in 2022.

The Texans e.p

The Texans employ some 2-back sets and some 2-TE sets so basically, the interior linemen get more help in pass pro than most teams.
I hope slowiks goal is to eliminate the need for our tiight ends to be power tackles 99% of the time.

Curious as for the game against jacksonville, did we ever employ a two back set?

No that is actually saying quite a bit and I think it's possible that Scruggs could be even a better Center than Patterson.
You could be correct, but if a rookie is playing well, you dont replace him with another rookie that's coming off an injury at a position as important as center, where continuity is paramount to the rest of the OL. IMHO

You could be correct, but if a rookie is playing well, you dont replace him with another rookie that's coming off an injury at a position as important as center, where continuity is paramount to the rest of the OL. IMHO
Normally I would agree with you but I think juice Scruggs if healthy and after a game or two to get things together could be a better Center than Patterson. As you have said before the better player, plays.

stand corrected there were 8 draft picks not counting the QB.
  • Round 1, Pick No. 2: QB C.J. Stroud, Ohio State
  • Round 1, Pick No. 12: EDGE Will Anderson, Alabama
  • Round 2, Pick No. 62: C Juice Scruggs, Penn State
  • Round 3, Pick No. 69: WR Tank Dell, Houston
  • Round 4, Pick No. 109: EDGE Dylan Horton, TCU
  • Round 5, Pick No. 167: LB Henry To'oTo'o, Alabama
  • Round 6, Pick No. 201: C Jarrett Patterson, Notre Dame
  • Round 6, Pick No. 205: WR Xavier Hutchinson, Iowa State
  • Round 7, Pick No. 248: S Brrandon Hill, Pitt
Not counting the QB drafted 2 Centers, 2 WR. We all know the offensive line needed help and depth to protect the QB. I come to realize that Patterson plays 3 OL positions very versatile so that's good. Well the first 2 games showed it but the last game the OL played well.

I think he stated it as he posted, if not hopefully @Porky will tell us. Scruggs hasn't played guard since 21 and that was 9 games at right side. I am still concerned for left.

Nick Broeker played LG and was playing LG for the Bills when they tried to sneak him onto their PS.

That’d be one heck of a draft and PS find for Caserio, if Patterson stays at Center, Scruggs slips in at RG, and Broeker finds his footing at LG.

Back