Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 9 @ the Fish

Texansballer74

The Marine
To be fair, those were some very tough NFL defenses Mills faced. Mills never faced the Jags or Dolphins. Mills is still a RD3 QB who entered the draft a season or two early. If the Texans focus on the rebuild and let this guy play or develop, I think he’ll reward the team when it counts most.
I understand all that but you still should be able to put together some drivers here and there. The Cardinals defense wasn’t all that stout and our defense started off rolling. And Mills and that offense just couldn’t get going. The Colts defense isn’t top notch either.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I thought Texian was being overly pessimistic but it seems he has been correct in his take on the direction or lack thereof of our team.
This is the beginning of a much needed rebuild. The talent isn't there and wont be for a couple of more yrs. What were your expectations? The team was 4-12 with a supposed franchise QB. What did you think was going to happen with Tyrod and a rookie QB that had only started less than 15 games in college?

I'm most disappointed with the OL play.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I understand all that but you still should be able to put together some drivers here and there. The Cardinals defense was all that stout and our defense started off rolling. And Mills and that offense just couldn’t get going. The Colts defense isn’t top notch either.
I think we're seeing the root of the problem starts with the OL.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I understand all that but you still should be able to put together some drivers here and there. The Cardinals defense was all that stout and our defense started off rolling. And Mills and that offense just couldn’t get going. The Colts defense isn’t top notch either.
I know…..but at this time, the Texans have to be playing for 2022 and beyond. I’d much rather see how Mills operates behind a somewhat healthy OL versus seeing what Taylor could do being that he could leave this team in 2022.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Watching the Texans offense failing to handle Cover 0 blitzes and constantly allowing pressure from DB blitzes off the corner. Is it scheme related or posters still think it's dumb QBs not recognizing the blitz, hitting hot routes and making the correct protection calls?
It’s scheme and a major communication problem. I’ve seen our running backs completely not picking up the blitz. Linemen doubling down but are allowing the guy in front of them to run right pass them. This is a poorly coached team for sure.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
We’ve got a new OL coach. We drafted high OLmen, they brought in quality FAs… I’m just saying, it’s not a refusal. They might not have chosen wisely, but they addressed what they could, when they could, with what they had.
Scheme and talent evals missed the mark.

Hopefully Kelly will be moving on and a new type offense will be installed. With a couple of new OG's also added.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This is the beginning of a much needed rebuild. The talent isn't there and wont be for a couple of more yrs. What were your expectations? The team was 4-12 with a supposed franchise QB. What did you think was going to happen with Tyrod and a rookie QB that had only started less than 15 games in college?

The Dolphins were 1-7. I can’t blame this one on talent

Texansballer74

The Marine
I know…..but at this time, the Texans have to be playing for 2022 and beyond. I’d much rather see how Mills operates behind a somewhat healthy OL versus seeing what Taylor could do being that he could leave this team in 2022.
But the thing is that’s not going to work. You can’t continue to trout out a guy who only can handle a very small portion of the play book. You’re still going to get a top 5 pick. And if things work out with this Watson crap. Then there’s a strong possibility of them getting a top 3 pick as well.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I wouldn’t want Mills to get hurt behind that OL. Let Tyrod play. Bring Mills in before the end of the half & from 2nd series in the 4th. Get him ready to compete for the starting job in 2022

Earl34

Hall of Fame

I guess we are now realizing how much effort it took to get to that 4-12 with this scheme, OL, running game and OC.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
What do you build around?

Tunsil, Britt, & Cannon?

Tunsil, Howard, Heck?

Heck?
Start with Tunsil since he’s not really a trade piece until the conclusion of the 2022 season. I’d also leave Heck in the mix since the teams interior line play has been atrocious. Give Heck and Tunsil a couple of good Guards and the outlook could change.

Number19

Hall of Fame
I think we're seeing the root of the problem starts with the OL.
Maybe; but I agree with Koolaid Sipper, I think I also observed a difference in the play calling.

Even with our OL play, the coaching should be capable of game planning something better for Mills. So I think I'd put primary responsibility on the coaching with the OL a close second.

With Taylor back and available in a backup role, the coaches can be more aggressive in their play calling for Mills and not be worried about Mills being injured. It's time to pull out all the stops and let Mills "play".

The Chronicle reports that the coaches, in the preseason, designed an offense "similar in style to the offense Taylor ran in Buffalo in 2017", the season he was selected to the pro bowl. Let Mills run this offense, as an uptempo game he is best at.
As bad as Taylor has played, I can see a difference in the play calling. Unfortnuately the results are still the same.

badboy

Hall of Fame
how are we rebuilding with Taylor has the QB ..???? does not even make sense ..???? put Mills back in there and dont pull him till the season is over and lets lose every game lesss goooo texans !!!!
In my opinion both are considered placeholders only. Mills could be the future if he is allowed to learn without getting killederated. I think free agency is out for a starting quarterback due to dead money of options and the draft does not appear to be the way to go in 2022.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
So let's get this straight. Taylor gets hurt playing maybe the best football of his career. The day he returns he plays like a 3rd string CFL QB.

Explanation?

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Stinks? I hardly think so.

Go to the link. Yes, Mills is rated 32. But looking at the stat categories, you realize they place an emphasis on QB rushing totals and QB rushing TD's. https://www.profootballnetwork.com/qb-power-rankings-2021/

Mills only ranks 29th in YPG with 193.9 yds; but in my opinion this is a product of the Texans limiting Mills pass attempts. Mills ranks 14th in completion percentage at 67%; and contrary to the popular perception of him mostly dinking and dunking, Mills is tied for 17th in CAY (average air yards per completion) at 5.6 yds. He's tied for 24th in TD percentage at 3.3%. The one category which is toward the bottom is INT%, where he is 30th with 3.8%.

There is plenty that Mills can improve on, but he hardly "stinks" or can be described as "horrid". The lack of TD production lies more with the lack of overall team production and will improve as the team is improved.

And I'm going to re-emphasize, Mills is tied for 17th in average air yards per completion.
Don't let 76Texan see this post. He will swear you faked the stats and links.

And as far as Mills getting cut. Think again. 1- Mills hasn't been as bad as the full sum of the parts. Meaning better run game, OL and a bit better game plan. 2- He has the tools and has indeed shown some of them. Until today when he is not playing. 3- At worst he is the backup. However, I think he is going to be the starting QB until either we only need a star QB to make a SB run OR he is going to be a star (either is ok).

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!

I'm just asking for an honest answer because even though it doesn't seem like it,but I respect your opinion. How many games do you think the Texans win with Watson and this defense? Remember the defense last yr was historically the worse and only forced 9 to's, they have forced 15 already.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The most disappointing thing with this team is the lack of faith and inspiration that we even have the right people in charge to lead the rebuild. There is nothing to look forward to as of now.
The juries still out on this.

Lets get through the 2022 draft before beginning to make this judgement. Actualyy probably the 2023 draft as well.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm just asking for an honest answer because even though it doesn't seem like it,but I respect your opinion. How many games do you think the Texans win with Watson and this defense? Remember the defense last yr was historically the worse and only forced 9 to's, they have forced 15 already.
4 to 6 wins.

For instance I think they would've won today.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
4 to 6 wins.

For instance I think they would've won today.
So basically you're saying the same as last year even though that defense was on a historic level bad? That's what you're saying? Watson had 7 int the entire year, the qbs this year has 11 already. Ok, my bad for thinking you could be somewhat objective.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So basically you're saying the same as last year even though that defense was on a historic level bad? That's what you're saying? Watson had 7 int the entire year, the qbs this year has 11 already. Ok, my bad for thinking you could be somewhat objective.
I think they're playing much tougher defenses this yr.

Tell me which games you think they may have won so far with Derrick at QB? Maybe today and Cleveland. Then I see them losing to San Diego/Titans/Colts twice. I haven't scoured the rest of the schedule but I think they play Denver (Who beat the Cowboys today) and Vegas. Give them a split of those games and that puts you right in the 5-6 win range. I think I'm being very objective.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I think they're playing much tougher defenses this yr.

Tell me which games you think they may have won so far with Derrick at QB? Maybe today and Cleveland. Then I see them losing to San Diego/Titans/Colts twice. I haven't scoured the rest of the schedule but I think they play Denver (Who beat the Cowboys today) and Vegas. Give them a split of those games and that puts you right in the 5-6 win range. I think I'm being very objective.
How many of those games they lost last year because the defense was just straight terrible? This year, the defense has kept the team in the games in the 1st half, but the offense couldn't even maintain a drive at all.