Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 9 @ the Fish

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Miami will win big. They may want draft position but they’ll take a big win over the Texans. There’s an article floating around that the Dolphins would really like to be in a position to draft QB- Kenny Pickett (Pitt) with the hope that they catch lightening in the bottle twice. If this’d happened, Watson can kiss his Miami destination goodbye.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Outcome of this game may dictate who has the 2nd overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft. Sure seems Detroit has that #1 slot locked up, less fight than a Mills led Texan back-up team.
The Lions, like the Texans, have a pretty soft schedule coming up. They've (Lions) had some bad performances but they lost two games by two points each and lost to the Rams by only 9 points two weeks ago.

Gotta have hope wherever we can find it.

This is so sad.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
CBS season projections had this -

AFC East
1. *Bills: 13-4
2. *Patriots: 10-7
3. Dolphins: 8-9
4. Jets: 5-12

AFC South
1. *Titans: 10-7
2. Colts: 9-8
3. Jaguars: 4-13
4. Texans: 3-14

So honestly, know it’s hard to believe but, the Miami Dolphins have been far more disappointing.

Expect, Dolphins for a number of reasons, mostly because they have overwhelming talent advantage, to run away with it.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I wonder if Culley will make it the whole season? With the talentless bunch of yahoos he has to work with as players, how much of this is (1) his fault (2) not his fault, but he'll get the blame anyway. I'm going to quit calling the Texans the Patriots South, because that's such a horrible denigration of the Patriots that even a Patriot hater like me feels bad about it.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Sure seems Detroit has that #1 slot locked up, less fight than a Mills led Texan back-up team.
Hey, the Jets screwed around and won 2 games at the end of last season so don't think the Lions can't mess up and win too. Of course I don't what the fight for #1 gets you. Seems like every time the Texans are in the running, there's never a top QB out there.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Hey, the Jets screwed around and won 2 games at the end of last season so don't think the Lions can't mess up and win too. Of course I don't what the fight for #1 gets you. Seems like every time the Texans are in the running, there's never a top QB out there.
Guess a deep dive into this coming QB class is inevitable. But think they have a good one if they focus on trenches, get a plus offensive line and better backfield.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I'm a tad leery of the Texans and the number 1 pick. They haven't had that good a history with it.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Mario Williams, even with his problem with turf toe, was still a very good pick.
4 Pro-Bowls and an All-Pro (with the Bills).

His contract with the Bills was a record at the time, I believe.
Mario was very underrated due to the VY/Bush fanboys. Him and DeMeco carried the defense through the awful years of “Kubiak’s buddies” at DC until he hired son of Bum.

austins23

Hall of Fame
Public service announcement….
If you DO NOT live in the Houston viewing are you will NOT get this game on regular TV.

Both the Cowboys and Texans are on FOX at NOON. Cowboys will get the Texas air time, except for HTown.

You're welcome. Probably better to watch a real team anyway.

texanhead08

All Pro
Culley was first indication Texans not interested in this season or the next other than to gut it and replace the culture. per Janice, Cal and Jack.

Culley won't be fired this year but with a full rookie draft class next year if they don't show improvement he better get nervous. We all know the reason he was hired is he was the only guy they interviewed that didn't object to Caserio hiring the coaching staff everyone else I would assume insisted on hiring their own staff.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Culley won't be fired this year but with a full rookie draft class next year if they don't show improvement he better get nervous. We all know the reason he was hired is he was the only guy they interviewed that didn't object to Caserio hiring the coaching staff everyone else I would assume insisted on hiring their own staff.
Two years is his time line. Mission accomplished. Congratulations you made it to become an NFL Head Coach something very few will ever be able to say!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I wonder if Culley will make it the whole season? With the talentless bunch of yahoos he has to work with as players, how much of this is (1) his fault (2) not his fault, but he'll get the blame anyway. I'm going to quit calling the Texans the Patriots South, because that's such a horrible denigration of the Patriots that even a Patriot hater like me feels bad about it.
I just dont understand why so many hate the Pats so much.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Culley was first indication Texans not interested in this season or the next other than to gut it and replace the culture. per Janice, Cal and Jack.
Per Caserio

BTW, a rebuild was badly needed.

What I dont get is why posters didn't think a 4-12 Derrick team needed to be rebuilt.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Per Caserio

BTW, a rebuild was badly needed.

What I dont get is why posters didn't think a 4-12 Derrick team needed to be rebuilt.
Virtually all their 1st rd picks are gone.

On top of that they blew through a bunch in trades.

Same can be said for 2nd rounders as well.

That leaves one lone 3rd pick.

Would say rebuild is understatement, more like start from scratch, without benefit of expansion draft (like that really helped):hankpalm:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I can't wait for the responses in this thread and the next day when a thread is created crapping on Mills.

The Texans will probably win and that will mean Tyrod has beaten two 1 win teams. Meanwhile Mills will have played against some of the best defenses in the league. I'm sure some posters (looking at 76) won't be able to understand the meaning of the word CONTEXT.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I can't wait for the responses in this thread and the next day when a thread is created crapping on Mills.

The Texans will probably win and that will mean Tyrod has beaten two 1 win teams. Meanwhile Mills will have played against some of the best defenses in the league. I'm sure some posters (looking at 76) won't be able to understand the meaning of the word CONTEXT.
Well, it's not as if either one of those two would be starting for another team. Mills could still have a future in the NFL, Taylor is pretty much on his last leg here.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Did you recall the few times when I mentioned Tyrod, I only brought up the first half against the Browns?

How is that for context?

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
If I'm looking at the stats correctly, the Fins have the 32nd ranked pass defense. And through 8 games, only have 12 sacks, ranking 30.

Taylor should have a good game.
This will definitely be one of the best chances the Texans have to win since week 1. Miami is a bad football team, 28th in points scored, 29th in points allowed. Miami's run game is almost as bad as ours. Their defense has the 3rd fewest sacks, has given up the 2nd most 1st downs, and have allowed the 2nd most 3rd down conversions.

Texans are a bad football team too, but I think they might show a little better with a better QB under center.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

So do you believe Mills is a better NFL QB than Taylor?

Number19

Hall of Fame
Not at this stage of his development. But keeping in mind that they have two different styles of play, then, yes, Mills has a higher floor, and the potential to have a more sucessful career, than Tayler.

Tayler's style of play is based on his legs. Mills' sucess will be on his arm. It remains to be seen whether Mills realizes his potential.

Porky

Hall of Fame
I don't understand the Mills love. This is crazy. The guy stinks. He had one decent game at home. He's been horrid on the road and slightly better than horrid at home. There's nothing in his physical or mental makeup that screams future starting QB much less franchise QB. At best, and I mean at very best - he's a starting "game manager" type. His super high upside is Kirk Cousins. His middle area is a TJ Yates type of career - if he continues to improve. Honestly, I see more like Ryan Mallett.

In short, the idea that this guy is the future at QB is INSANE.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don't understand the Mills love. This is crazy. The guy stinks. He had one decent game at home. He's been horrid on the road and slightly better than horrid at home. There's nothing in his physical or mental makeup that screams future starting QB much less franchise QB. At best, and I mean at very best - he's a starting "game manager" type. His super high upside is Kirk Cousins. His middle area is a TJ Yates type of career - if he continues to improve. Honestly, I see more like Ryan Mallett.

I don’t love the guy. I’d rather they didn’t draft him, much less in the third round.

But considering his handicap I think he could very well be like Mac Jones or Joe Burrows.

I’m hoping there was some secret conversation between Shaw & Hamilton to convince the Texans of this.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
At the moment….no. By this time next season….Mills could be a completely different QB. I’ve seen enough bright spots in Mills play to say his upside is worth the time needed to continue the development process as well as focusing on building a team around him.

Public service announcement….
If you DO NOT live in the Houston viewing are you will NOT get this game on regular TV.

Both the Cowboys and Texans are on FOX at NOON. Cowboys will get the Texas air time, except for HTown.

You're welcome. Probably better to watch a real team anyway.
I haven't been able to watch but two Texans games all season. The first one that we won and the one against the Browns where we actually competed and may have won if not for TT's injury. It is just as well. Watching this team get their butts kicked week after week would be worse than watching house paint dry.

Number19

Hall of Fame

Stinks? I hardly think so.

Go to the link. Yes, Mills is rated 32. But looking at the stat categories, you realize they place an emphasis on QB rushing totals and QB rushing TD's. https://www.profootballnetwork.com/qb-power-rankings-2021/

Mills only ranks 29th in YPG with 193.9 yds; but in my opinion this is a product of the Texans limiting Mills pass attempts. Mills ranks 14th in completion percentage at 67%; and contrary to the popular perception of him mostly dinking and dunking, Mills is tied for 17th in CAY (average air yards per completion) at 5.6 yds. He's tied for 24th in TD percentage at 3.3%. The one category which is toward the bottom is INT%, where he is 30th with 3.8%.

There is plenty that Mills can improve on, but he hardly "stinks" or can be described as "horrid". The lack of TD production lies more with the lack of overall team production and will improve as the team is improved.

And I'm going to re-emphasize, Mills is tied for 17th in average air yards per completion.