Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 5: Back Down to Earth—- Shout Out Your Frustration

Penalties, poor run game/play calling, poor defensive scheming at the end. I really feel like we scored too quickly on our last possession. Had plenty of time. While I wish we had finished more drives, CJ showed he could gets us down field in the 4th quarter and score. Just wish that had been happening all game.

Last edited:
I thought when tank went out Slowik didn’t really know what to do…had a few drives after that that were just blah.

I also believe Meco was a little too passive with the defense..would’ve liked to see Ridder get pressured more.

CJ was uncomfortable all game had a few off target passes; but he also had a few critical drops too.

Overall, the offense was just off..no 1 real reason. I thought we perhaps stuck with the run a little too long but, dems’ da’ brakes with a young coaching staff and young team.

ATL defense was pretty good and I think it was a good test for us. We will learn from this hopefully and build some counters in.

I'm fine with what happened today. Would've preferred a different result of course, but I can live with it.

I say that knowing that this entire season was built to install, learn, adjust, and grow. And this game certainly gave us room to do all of that. Whether a 'new era' has officially arrived here or not remains to be seen, but it remained to be seen after last week as well. Time to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, get in the film room, get out on the practice field and just keep on working.

This was a team loss.

Slow called his worst game.

So many small mistakes by the players on both sides of the ball.

Meco’s defense made Ridder look like a top 3 quarterback.

No freaking adjustments were made by either Meco nor Slow.
I know the defense should have been able to get a stop to close out the game. They didn't. That's on them. Still, they only gave up 21 points & got two turnovers. That's good enough to win.

The offense went 3&out on one of those turnovers & got a field goal on the other because the defense put them in field goal position.

It's always a team win/loss, but if we're being consistent...

Penalties, poor run game/play calling, poor defensive scheming at the end. I really feel like we scored too quickly on our last possession. Had plenty of time. While I wish we had finished more drives, CJ showed he could gets us down field in the 4th quarter and score. Just wish that had been happening all game.
That was their only TD of the game... it's not like they were at the 1 or had the luxury to play around there and burn clock before scoring.

New Orleans kicked serious ass this week. I’d definitely favor the Saints next week, but it wouldn’t totally shock me if the Texans win.
Given this season..... Texans... dont stand a chance.... no way do the Texans win.... not one, nope... definitely an impossibility..... definitely million point under dogs....

There... that oughta do it... since its very well established they can't win... should be a 30 something point win for the Texans

The Texans played well enough to win. Thier lack of 3rd conversions and too many 3 and outs caught up to them. Also, thinking about Riddler riddling the secondary for 329 yards. At first, I was WTF on the last drive. However, I have to take a step back and consider that Stingley, Shaquill Griffin and Tavierre Thomas were all out, maybe Demeco couldn't be as aggressive as he liked with the makeshift secondary.

We lost this game in the first half finishing promising drives with 3s instead of 7s.

In the context of the game, Stroud delivered when it mattered, which is impressive, but Atlanta were always going to score with a minute 50 left, their offense had found already it's rhythm.

Overall I'd say not as well called as last week by Slowik, and defense couldn't manage a shut out at the death. In game injuries to WRs obviously didn't help. Otherwise an okay performance that confirms us as a middle of the pack team. Considering the injuries and youth of this team, that's an impressive stride forward and bodes really well for the future.

Been a long old while since .500 Texans teams were winning or losing on the final drive.

Lots to learn from from this game, OL again in flux, receiving corps beat up, starting DBs from the bottom of the roster. We kept the score closer than the ebb of the game seemed, got to improve on what cost us but can’t be too harsh given where we’ve been the last few years, that performance was a huge improvement on Culley and Smith and that’s despite the rookie QB leaving a fair bit on the table today that he’ll be disappointed about.

Onwards & upwards.

Honestly, I thought the defense was great. They didn’t pressure Ridder, but besides the encroachment fetish they looked very disciplined and physical.

Slowik’s inability to be aggressive early on downs put the Texans in a bad position. Funny, that when the Falcons thought they were be more aggressive passing is when Pierce started to gain traction.

Maybe just maybe, when you aren't having success running, you should pass to setup the run.

Slowik is a rookie too.

Stop treating Stroud like a rookie when he is playing like a top 10 QB in this league.

Go Texans!

This was a team loss.

Agreed. Atlanta was one play better than us today. I think CJ was solid but also a little off today. The running game was atrocious. I think Slowik has done an AMAZING job but today I think we were too conservative on offense. The good news is the offense didn't turn it over. The bad news is the offense needed to be a little better. One TD doesn't cut it.

The defense forced TWO turnovers. Usually a +2 turnover margin = victory, but not today. This game isn't on the defense but there were times when we needed guys to make plays and they didn't. The last Atlanta drive was very disheartening. We needed one stop and the defense allowed Atlanta to march right down the field and kick an easy field goal.

Looking at the big picture I'm very pleased with where we are in the process.

The Texans are obviously better than a lot of us thought they'd be. So, on to the next game. Maybe we have better luck against the New Orleans Sinners.

Gotta give Atlanta credit. They shut down our running game and Desmond Ridder was damned impressive and he's only a second-year player who was selected in the THIRD round! That's what you call a steal!

Agreed. Atlanta was one play better than us today. I think CJ was solid but also a little off today. The running game was atrocious. I think Slowik has done an AMAZING job but today I think we were too conservative on offense. The good news is the offense didn't turn it over. The bad news is the offense needed to be a little better. One TD doesn't cut it.

The defense forced TWO turnovers. Usually a +2 turnover margin = victory, but not today. This game isn't on the defense but there were times when we needed guys to make plays and they didn't. The last Atlanta drive was very disheartening. We needed one stop and the defense allowed Atlanta to march right down the field and kick an easy field goal.

I’m glad you’re still around.

Hard to win when you can't run the ball and you get 0 pressure on the QB
Yes we need to find a way to put more pressure on the QB, as he had too much time and he's really not an upper tier passer.
I was hoping that Anderson might flash a bit today rushing the QB but he failed to get home even a single time.

I think Slowik has been really impressive with dynamic play-calling. I think he was trying and trying some more to get a run game going but it's just never materialized. Credit Atlanta.

Slowik has done a good job with CJ. There is no doubt about it.

I do think today, Slowik treated CJ with kid gloves trying to consistently put him in 3rd and manageable situations.

That ultimately was what hurt the team in my opinion.

The Falcons TE group had 14 catches for 176 yards.

With the Texans defense forcing back to back turnovers, the Texans offense had three posessions to put the game out of reach before the Falcons could respond. They came away with three points in those three posessions.

This was a team loss. Coaches could have called a better game, players could have executed the plays better. They had their chances and they didn’t get it done. There are areas to improve across the board. Also, there are things to be encouraged about going forward.

On to the next week.

5 encroachment penalties showed the lack of discipline. Piss pour tackling and we’re not generating enough pressure on the quarterback. I only seen Coach bring the blitz maybe 3 times today. Final thing, no way Ridder should’ve been that comfortable and dropping 329 yards on us.

On offense, in that third quarter, we had 4 three and outs in a row. That along will wear down your defense quicker than anything. Slow and his love for the sweeps with Tank/running backs. Killed several drives. I really don’t understand why he didn’t run the same offense from last week. We only ran one freakin screen play. Can you believe this? Last week we were on here bragging about how successful the screen game was.
But hey like many have stated it’s a learning experience.

Last edited:
New Orleans kicked serious ass this week. I’d definitely favor the Saints next week, but it wouldn’t totally shock me if the Texans win.
it would shock thehell out of me.

But I'm ok with that.

5 encroachment penalties showed the lack of discipline. Piss pour tackling and we’re not generating enough pressure on the quarterback. I only seen Coach bring the blitz maybe 3 times today. Final thing, no way Ridder should’ve been that comfortable and dropping 329 yards on us.

On offense, in that third quarter, we had 4 three and outs in a row. That along will wear down your defense quicker than anything. Slow and his love for the sweeps with Tank/running backs. Killed several drives. I really don’t understand why he didn’t run the same offense for last week. We only ran one freakin screen play. Can you believe this? Last week we were on here bragging about how successful the screen game was.
But hey like many have stated it’s a learning experience.

Great post. Yea, the defense was tired at the end. Who can blame them, right? I agree it was a team loss but more of the blame has to go to the offense.

This was a team loss.

Slow called his worst game.

So many small mistakes by the players on both sides of the ball.

Meco’s defense made Ridder look like a top 3 quarterback.

No freaking adjustments were made by either Meco nor Slow.
So this loss is all on Ryans and staff?

So this loss is all on Ryans and staff?

Not sure why DR was calling such a soft defense at the end. 1:40 something to go, the falcons have all their time outs. Letting them get 5-10 yards every play. I understand we had a lot of our starting secondary out but you have to play tighter coverage in that situation.

On offense we just didn't do anything that had been working for us during our 2 game winning streak. One screen, not a lot of quick pass slants. Running at the wrong times. It was a horribly called game.

On the bright side, the fact that we are made about a loss again is a breathe of fresh air considering our last 3 seasons!

Back