Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 3 Preview with a Jags fan here....

newjagscity

Practice Squad
Congrats to Texan fans, Stroud has really balled out the first two weeks for you guys. He's doing it with no run game and with a bunch of relatively unknown receivers, which is even more impressive. He's easily the best of the rookie QB's so far IMHO, and is going to be a force to reckon with over the next decade. Both Texans and Jags have concerns on the O line. Jags are injuries and youth. KC and Chris Jones exposed the rookie RT Harrison yesterday. This could also be a trap game for us if we aren't careful. Last years loss should provide motivation. Jags D kept us from being blown out yesterday. We'll see if that holds up this Sunday. Looking forward to a competitive, injury free game.

Congrats to Texan fans, Stroud has really balled out the first two weeks for you guys. He's doing it with no run game and with a bunch of relatively unknown receivers, which is even more impressive. He's easily the best of the rookie QB's so far IMHO, and is going to be a force to reckon with over the next decade. Both Texans and Jags have concerns on the O line. Jags are injuries and youth. KC and Chris Jones exposed the rookie RT Harrison yesterday. This could also be a trap game for us if we aren't careful. Last years loss should provide motivation. Jags D kept us from being blown out yesterday. We'll see if that holds up this Sunday. Looking forward to a competitive, injury free game.
That's very gracious of you Newjagscity, thank you !
Oh listen congrats on Boselli finally making the HOF because he was long over due and know it's your first Jags member in the
Hall. I think we will have the same kind of problem with Andre Johnson as he's worthy too but it may take forever to get him in
the Hall.

Unless we find a running game somewhere, we'll be starting the season at 0-3. And Stroud will be wore out before the season ends.

THIS is why I didn't want a shiny new QB this year, I would have prefered getting a QB next year. But the Texans don't listen to me.

Welcome and we’re looking forward to the game against you guys next week.

I’m with Thorn on this one. If the oline doesn’t open up some holes for our backs to run through. Man it’s going to be a long game for my Texans. Get that going and the defense actually put pressure on the Quarterback. We can come away with the win.

That's very gracious of you Newjagscity, thank you !
Oh listen congrats on Boselli finally making the HOF because he was long over due and know it's your first Jags member in the
Hall. I think we will have the same kind of problem with Andre Johnson as he's worthy too but it may take forever to get him in
the Hall.

Andre Johnson has HOF numbers and should be a lock. Houston being a huge NFL market will help that. Jax being the 2nd smallest hurt Boselli, along with his injury shortened career. It helped Boselli with media voting when he got into color commentary a few years ago. It also didnt help that we sucked as a football team for the last 20 years, a couple of seasons notwithstanding.

Last edited:
Unless we find a running game somewhere, we'll be starting the season at 0-3. And Stroud will be wore out before the season ends.

THIS is why I didn't want a shiny new QB this year, I would have prefered getting a QB next year. But the Texans don't listen to me.

But that shiny new QB will be that much further along once they do get stuff around him situated, which could be as early as game 5 when they can get some heathy bodies back. The run game should have already been better with actual NFL starters playing, but you can’t predict injuries.

And it’s easier to get those periphery things in order than it is to find a franchise QB. We may have the hard part of that taken care of. No guarantees about next years QB class.

Last edited:
But that shiny new QB will be that much further along once they do get stuff around him situated, which could as early as game 5 when they can get some heathy bodies back. The run game should have already been better with actual NFL starters playing, but you can’t predict injuries.

And it’s easier to get those periphery things in order than it is to find a franchise QB. We’ve may have the hard part of that taken care of. No guarantees about next years QB class.

We all know the Texans QB of the future is here now anyways. I won't belabor the point. My point was the Texans now have to take care of their new prize much better, and right now, can't. When the starters on the o-line come back, they will be in better shape. My hope is now that we have our new QB, we don't ruin him in his first year.

We all know the Texans QB of the future is here now anyways. I won't belabor the point. My point was the Texans now have to take care of their new prize much better, and right now, can't. When the starters on the o-line come back, they will be in better shape. My hope is now that we have our new QB, we don't ruin him in his first year.
We could be the panthers right now. Talk about a dumpster fire.. Just watching this panther - saints game, I feel bad for their fans. No one knows the future for sure but all the signs are pointing in the right direction. Cj is showing top 5 potential. A top 5 qb comes out the draft every 4-5 years. For all we know Caleb and Maye, may not be great qbs. Being a Texan fan I’m very grateful we have a young promising qb who’s looking like a future perennial all pro with 2 games only played. He’s top 5 in passing yards with a depleted ol in both games. He’s a natural leader with a cannon arm and sniper accuracy but I understand your worries. Remember we could be Carolina or the bears

I've just been trying to speed read "Voodoo For Dummies" to try and curse the Browns for at least one more season.

Oh, also been trying to ward off those godless heathen Cardnals fans that are trying to do the same to the Texans this year.

As for the Jags. I know they are currently the better team.... but they have struggled against us before while being the better team so I wouldn't be shocked by either outcome.

After everything Trevor Lawrence had to deal with in his rookie season and come out of it a great QB with a positive attitude, he's earned a ton of respect from me.

This Sunday, the Texans will have no way to protect their QB or run the ball or to stop the run, while the Jags have become good in all those areas. It would make no sense for the Texans to win, which is exactly why the Texans will probably win. That's how the Texans/Jags matchups have always gone.

A lot depends on certain players making it back healthy. The defense needs the starting safeties back. Too many miscommunications this week. The defense as a whole was undisciplined and on the few occasions they were in the right spot they tackled poorly. All uncharacteristic of a DeMeco defense. You have to hope Ward/Pitre can help fix that.

Offense the OL will not be healthy. But maybe Tunsil will be back which would be a significant help. The first drive strip sack does not happen with Tunsil in at LT. Sure Stroud might still get sacked, but his blindside would be protected!

It’s a division game against the Jaguars, anything can happen. Texans needed that Colts win as its one of the few games they were favored to win but if they can beat the Jags then expectations are reset.

Really hope they get the safeties and Tunsil back this week!

But that shiny new QB will be that much further along once they do get stuff around him situated, which could be as early as game 5 when they can get some heathy bodies back. The run game should have already been better with actual NFL starters playing, but you can’t predict injuries.

And it’s easier to get those periphery things in order than it is to find a franchise QB. We may have the hard part of that taken care of. No guarantees about next years QB class.

By the time you get those periphery things your QB will be going into his 4th yr and you will be paying him big money thereby lessening your chances to win a championship.

Get the periphery things 1st, then get your QB so you have a 4-5 yr window to win championships.

I've just been trying to speed read "Voodoo For Dummies" to try and curse the Browns for at least one more season.

Oh, also been trying to ward off those godless heathen Cardnals fans that are trying to do the same to the Texans this year.

As for the Jags. I know they are currently the better team.... but they have struggled against us before while being the better team so I wouldn't be shocked by either outcome.
It's working, Chubb went down last night.

By the time you get those periphery things your QB will be going into his 4th yr and you will be paying him big money thereby lessening your chances to win a championship.

Get the periphery things 1st, then get your QB so you have a 4-5 yr window to win championships.
That's nice and neat, but that's not how the real world works.
Look up the Chiefs line up (the Oline) when Mahomes was drafted.
Look up the Pats line up when Brady was drafted.
They change every year; sometimes quite drastically.

Did you foresee all the injuries to the Oline? :brando:

I am sure CnD did
CnD is often "to err on the side of caution".

Football is a violent sport.

I don't think there was anything wrong with Tunsil, Scruggs, Mason, Fant, Quess, Dieter.

It would have been better had they not given Quess the first team reps during preseason.

That relegated Scruggs to second team with Patterson bouncing between G & C with the second and third team.

It created a big problem with the Center spot to start the year.

We had 5 guys who had never played together to start the year, and then that changed again in the second game.

That's a bad recipe for a ZBS team where guys need to work together in unison to really make the blocking scheme works.

No, of course not. I just didn't like any of the (highly rated) QBs coming out, and was fervently against either Young and Stroud. I was for building up the trenches and then getting a QB. If it turns out that Stroud is the real deal, well, gee willikers, I might have been wrong. LOL
They should have the third round pick they spent on Mills for an Olineman.

Some of us had proposed that. :brando:

We had 5 guys who had never played together to start the year, and then that changed again in the second game.

That's a bad recipe for a ZBS team where guys need to work together in unison to really make the blocking scheme works.
This is EXACTLY what I've been saying...yet people want to say that this years OL is better than last years.

If there is one position group that needs to play together in order to work in unison to be good...its the OL....but nooooooo people use talent levels only when its convenient for their argument (brandon cooks) and WR's but wont use the same standards when it doesnt...YOU CANT MAKE THIS **** UP.

I don't think there was anything wrong with Tunsil, Scruggs, Mason, Fant, Quess, Dieter.

It would have been better had they not given Quess the first team reps during preseason.

That relegated Scruggs to second team with Patterson bouncing between G & C with the second and third team.

Quess got hurt first week of training camp. Scruggs took all the first team reps after that. Patterson missed a week of camp due to injury himself.

Scruggs got hurt in the last preseason game but was taking all the first team reps after week 1 of training camp.

Howard was also hurt early in camp.

Constant injuries along the OL are a bad recipe for any team.

They should have the third round pick they spent on Mills for an Olineman.

Some of us had proposed that. :brando:
You should show us your crystal ball.

BTW, I wanted Meinertz but certainly understand the Mills pick and said so at the time.

LMAO

Correct, injuries are bad for a ZBS teams continuity. Who would've thunk it.

It’s still a mystery out of all the teams in the nfl, 4 of the 5 Texans starters at ol suddenly get hurt. Either we’re training to hard or these guys are just soft. I think the latter. I’m very impressed with our receiver Woods. Most guys on the back end of their career choose houston so they can perform mediocre or fake injuries and collect a pay check. From Ed Reed to our new safety ward. On the positive note with Cj playing great, I do expect the Texans to be an attractive destination for good free agents. This is the best chance we can go to the super bowl on Cj rookie contract. I understand where others come from as far as building a well rounded team first than getting your franchise qb. Theirs a chance Cj may reach Mahomes level and from the potential, getting him was our best bet. I know Meco will drive this team in the right direction and I expect Will to become a top 10 defender in the next 2-3 seasons.

You should show us your crystal ball.

BTW, I wanted Meinertz but certainly understand the Mills pick and said so at the time.
As long as we understood that the Oline was in need of repair.
A third round pick spent on a backup or stopgap QB is lacking.
Why have you (and some others) been complaining that Mills didn't have enough to work with.

Let Taylor and some other short term QB(s) run the tanking show.
Don't need to waste a third round pick.

That was your contradiction.
You want the cake and eat it, too.

No, of course not. I just didn't like any of the (highly rated) QBs coming out, and was fervently against either Young and Stroud. I was for building up the trenches and then getting a QB. If it turns out that Stroud is the real deal, well, gee willikers, I might have been wrong. LOL

I’m 100% with Thorn on this philosophy, and have also preached this far too many times to count.

Get the trenches (Dirty Dozen- OL, DL,LB or a Bakers Dozen if you include the TE) fortified, and then add window dressing(s).

I’m 100% with Thorn on this philosophy, and have also preached this far too many times to count.

Get the trenches (Dirty Dozen- OL, DL,LB or a Bakers Dozen if you include the TE) fortified, and then add window dressing(s).

And my thought is it's harder to find that QB than it is to build the trenches. If the Texans have gotten lucky enough to have already found that QB with CJ, then they've got the hard part taken care of.

And to be fair, the Texans have addressed the trenches. Tunsil extended, Howard extended, they drafted Green in the 1st last year, got Scruggs this year. The OL should be better, but injuries have eaten them up. Not a lot you can do about that.

I really disagree with the way the Texans are playing their makeshift OL. They need to be looking toward game 5 or 6 when players start coming off of IR.

Kenyon Green's injury problems really messed up the "previous" long term plan. His replacement needs to be front and center.

Scruggs was drafted to be our long term answer at Center. So when he comes off IR, what to do with him? Some suggest moving him to LG. I disagree. We need to look long term and plug him back into his natural spot at Center and for why we drafted him. But where does that leave Patterson?

Patterson is the player right now we should have playing LG, to see if he may be the answer. Kendrick Green is listed on the roster as C/G. Let him be taking these temporary snaps at Center until Scruggs is back.

After Scruggs is back, we then have the competition between Patterson, Broeker, Green, and whoever else, for starting LG.

Mason is set, for this year, at RG and if not great is at least adequate.

I'd really like to see if Patterson can play LG at a level to be a starter. But for now, starting about game 5 or 6 I'd like to see:

Tunsil...Patterson...Scruggs...Mason...Howard.

Last edited:
I really disagree with the way the Texans are playing their makeshift OL. They need to be looking toward game 5 or 6 when players start coming off of IR.

Kenyon Green's injury problems really messed up the "previous" long term plan. His replacement needs to be front and center.

Scruggs was drafted to be our long term answer at Center. So when he comes off IR, what to do with him? Some suggest moving him to LG. I disagree. We need to look long term and plug him back into his natural spot at Center and for why we drafted him. But where does that leave Patterson?

Patterson is the player right now we should have playing LG, to see if he may be the answer. Kendrick Green is listed on the roster as C/G. Let him be taking these temporary snaps at Center until Scruggs is back.

After Scruggs is back, we then have the competition between Patterson, Broeker, Green, and whoever else, for starting LG.

I'd really like to see if Patterson can play LG at a level to be a starter. But for now, starting about game 5 or 6 I'd like to see:

I think with having just 8 guys on the active roster, some, if not all of the Olinemen need to be versatile.

That's just the nature of the beast.

As you can see with Quess, and then Scruggs injured.

Also with Howard, and then Fant for that little stretch.

It"s tough.

I think with having just 8 guys on the active roster, some, if not all of the Olinemen need to be versatile.

That's just the nature of the beast.

As you can see with Quess, and then Scruggs injured.

Also with Howard, and then Fant for that little stretch.

It"s tough.
I agree about the players having some versatility, but still, you have options how you play the players available. Last week we had Green at LG and Patterson at C. I'd like this reversed, with an eye toward who is going to be starting at LG when Scruggs returns from IR. I'd like to see if Patterson can do an adequate job at this position, with a further looking eye toward 2024 and where should he be playing. Even if we draft a LG next year, we'll still need experienced backups. If Scruggs can secure the job at C, Patterson needs to be moved to G. He could still backup at C.

Reactions: JB
I agree about the players having some versatility, but still, you have options how you play the players available. Last week we had Green at LG and Patterson at C. I'd like this reversed, with an eye toward who is going to be starting at LG when Scruggs returns from IR. I'd like to see if Patterson can do an adequate job at this position, with a further looking eye toward 2024 and where should he be playing. Even if we draft a LG next year, we'll still need experienced backups. If Scruggs can secure the job at C, Patterson needs to be moved to G. He could still backup at C.
I understand what you're getting at but there's also the possibility that (Kendrick) Green is the answer at LG. He played LG in college in a ZBS and it's possible that him returning to doing that is what helps rejuvenate his career.

I understand what you're getting at but there's also the possibility that (Kendrick) Green is the answer at LG. He played LG in college in a ZBS and it's possible that him returning to doing that is what helps rejuvenate his career.
Yes I agree. It would be a competition between Green, Patterson and Broeker. I had thought Green was only signed for 2023, but no, he's still on his rookie contract through 2024.

As things stand now, Stroud will have a challenge with the Jags D.

Jaguars vs. Texans: Jacksonville Looking To End Home Woes vs. Houston
Can the Jaguars take down their in-division rivals to improve to a 2-0 division record or will history repeat itself for the 6th year in a row.

The Jacksonville Jaguars have already had an up-and-down season just two weeks into the year. After a troubling come-from-behind victory against Indianapolis, the Jaguars headed home to face off against the reigning Super Bowl Champs, Kansas City Chiefs.

Fans would leave disappointed, however, as the Jaguars failed to get anything going offensively, mustering just 9 points. This week, the Jaguars welcome the Houston Texans to Jacksonville, a team, while 0-2, have given their fans a lot to be hopeful going forward. Houston is a team that has found much success in Jacksonville, winning each of the last five contests and eight of the last nine.

Despite their record, Quarterback CJ Stroud has shown a lot of promise as the rookie passer has thrown for 626 yards two touchdowns, zero interceptions, and completed 64% of his passes.
While the Jaguars’ offense has no doubt struggled, the defense has shown up and shown out. Not many teams can hold a Patrick Mahomes-led Chiefs team to just 17 points, but Jacksonville did just that.

The defense may need another standout performance if the offense still seems to be knocking off the offseason rust in week three. It’s the Jaguars’ secondary that has been particularly redoubtable. In just two games, the secondary has already nabbed two interceptions and amassed nine passes defenses.

With Houston starting a rookie quarterback, look for Andre Cisco and company to be on the lookout for opportunities for more turnovers. The third-year safety is looking to have a breakout 2023 season. Cisco is allowing an NFL passer rating of just 26.2 so far this season.

Offensively, the Jaguars have to get their feet under them. The team’s league-worst 3rd-down conversion rate is concerning. The team’s Red Zone performance hasn’t been much better as Lawrence is just 4 of 11 inside the opposing 20-yard line.

If Jacksonville continues to underperform on key downs offensively, it could turn out to be another game that’s a lot closer than it probably should be on paper. The Jaguars are a much better team than the Texans. They just have to go prove it on Sunday and secure their first home win of the season and end Houston’s string of success in Duval County.

If Patterson is playing well at center then you keep him there.

If he's avg at center and you think Scruggs will be an upgrade then you put Scruggs at center and try Patterson at LG. Patterson was better at LG than center at Notre Dame IMHO.

If Patterson is playing well at center then you keep him there.

If he's avg at center and you think Scruggs will be an upgrade then you put Scruggs at center and try Patterson at LG. Patterson was better at LG than center at Notre Dame IMHO.
I need to see Scruggs at C; hopefully he's an upgrade. Patterson has been adequate at C, but not bad. PFF has him rated 26th at the position with a grade of 53.8. Tunsil, Fant and Mason all have higher grades. He's graded 1 point higher than Kendrick Green who took all the snaps at LG against Indy. Moving Patterson to LG provides an opportunity for an upgrade there, as well, if that is indeed the best positional fit for Patterson.

After Q went down the first week of TC, Scruggs solidified the C position as number 1. I'm thinking ahead to next year. I think Scruggs can be a long term answer at C, so I want him to get the experience this year.

We need to see if Patterson or Green2 is an answer at LG, or will we have to spend a draft choice in 2024. Green1? He'll have to earn a spot on the 53 next year.

With Tunsil back (fingers crossed), I'm wondering if Josh Jones kicks back into the LG spot or if they stick with Green2.

When Tunsil comes back, the line will be instantly improved as far as Stroud is concerned. I don't know about the RBs though. Maybe, when Tunsil comes back, we'll go from 7 sacks a game to 5. :)

With Tunsil back (fingers crossed), I'm wondering if Josh Jones kicks back into the LG spot or if they stick with Green2.
I couldn't understand the Texans moving Jones to LG. At Houston he played exclusively at LT. I kept digging and found that in 2021 and 2022, Aizonia did have him at RG for 612 snaps. The remaining 800+ snaps were at LT and RT. So I guess he could figure into the LG position, along with Green2 and possibly Patterson if Scruggs comes off IR to play C.

Green2 played almost exclusively at LG in college. Pittsburg made a huge miscalculation moving him to C his rookie season in 2021. He was inactive in 2022 as a C. The Texans should not make the same mistake Pittsburg did and play him out of position. Leave him at LG and battle it out for a starting role.

Patterson was an all-state high school recruit at T. ND moved him to C for his first three years, moving him to LG in 2022.

So these three, IMO, should battle it out for the starting role at LG. They all have the versatility to play multiple positions if need be.

When Tunsil comes back, the line will be instantly improved as far as Stroud is concerned. I don't know about the RBs though. Maybe, when Tunsil comes back, we'll go from 7 sacks a game to 5. :)
I just hope Slowick mixes up the runs a bit. That always running behind LG wasn't working worth a sh!t

Would suggest Slowick add another lineman to right side to help in pass pro, create more running opportunities as well still be TE eligible. Sean McDermott implements extra linemen and is quite effective.
Is there any linemen you’d like to see more of and worthy of developing on this roster? Charlie Heck maybe the answer, depending on injury update, on pup now so wouldn’t be able to practice until week 5. Like I said before, bye week comes at perfect time to make some adjustments to fortify this OL. Would make me very happy if Texans/Slowick are able to work this angle for push after bye week.

Back