Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 3: Carolina at Houston

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Aw come on guys, what did you seriously expect? A win? LOL at that crap, they just aren't good enough yet. They are better than last year, but they are still 1-2 and show it. And if the Tits lose this weekend, we can still be in 1st place all next week along with Indy and Jaggieland if they should happen to win. In fact, all four teams could be 1-2 after this weekend.

The AFC South is right back where it belongs. :lol:

They have a blueprint now.
I would not say it is a blue print kind of problem for our O-line. The Panthers pass rush has had the blueprint for pass rushing against the two teams that they played before us. Our O-line pass blocked much better the previous two weeks and I don't think that was an aberration. I expect them to do better against lesser pass rushing defenses. We shall see.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I would not say it is a blue print kind of problem for our O-line. The Panthers pass rush has had the blueprint for pass rushing against the two teams that they played before us. Our O-line pass blocked much better the previous two weeks and I don't think that was an aberration. I expect them to do better against lesser pass rushing defenses. We shall see.
Da blitz is what I'm afraid of.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
it’s bad for any qb really. Fact its bad for any qb in his early stages of development whether they’re a rookie or not.
That's what I mean; guys that are still green to the pro game.

The more hits they take, the more the risk of an injury since they don't know yet how to best protect himself.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
In fairness our O-line did a good job pass blocking last week. The Panthers so far this season have gotten a lot of pressure on opposing quarterbacks in each of the three games they have played up to this point. Against lesser defenses our O-line should protect DM much better.
& they blitz more than any other team

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
That's what I mean; guys that are still green to the pro game.

The more hits they take, the more the risk of an injury since they don't know yet how to best protect himself.
Yes a lot of guys wilt under that type of scenario…David Carr and Marcus Mariota come to mind…. A lot of guys have risen and overcome it too tho….Troy Aikman and Steve Young. Depends on your temperament. Mills seems like a kid with the right temperament. But only time and experience in getting live reps will tell us what we need to know about him.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Man, you ain't lying about that. I thought Lindsay was a good pick up but this dude is garbage so far. 7 carries, 5 yards tonight, 20 carries, 32 yards, 1.6 YPC for the season. Of course the run blocking is atrocious, but still. They were much better than this last year and they were bad last year.
I'm not ready to call Lindsay or Ingram garbage just yet. That OL didn't block well tonight. But I am ready to see Scottie

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Yes a lot of guys wilt under that type of scenario…David Carr and Marcus Mariota come to mind…. A lot of guys have risen and overcome it too tho….Troy Aikman and Steve Young. Depends on your temperament. Mills seems like a kid with the right temperament. But only time and experience in getting live reps will tell us what we need to know about him.
Those guys have had more experience playing football overall, especially Young.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Those guys have had more experience playing football overall, especially Young.
didnt seem to help them all that much when they entered the league as both came in from top tier programs with top talent all around them. They weren’t used to being hit as much as they were when they entered the NFL. They had to learn that on the fly as young rookies. Hell It took young a few years to learn it. But he did.

Mills not having a lot of tread on his tires might actually work in our favor. With coaching staff we have, he can be coached up right instead of being force fed into a particular system like so many other coaches have ruined otherwise good prospects in prior years.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
didnt seem to help them all that much when they entered the league as both came in from top tier programs with top talent all around them. They weren’t used to being hit as much as they were when they entered the NFL. They had to learn that on the fly as young rookies. Hell It took young a few years to learn it. But he did.

Mills not having a lot of tread on his tires might actually work in our favor. With coaching staff we have, he can be coached up right instead of being force fed into a particular system like so many other coaches have ruined otherwise good prospects in prior years.
Not so with Stanford.
They have been running that WCO forever.

I think Young only get to start a few games toward the end of his rookie season.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Aikman did indeed got injured early in his rookie year.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
After watching the Highlights on YouTube, I have to say our edge rush looking a little slow. Our DBs in the middle of the field couldn't stop anything. Time and time again it was completion after completion. If we can get a good/fast guy on the edge (DE or OLB) and a good coverage nickle or saftey in nexts years draft or FA period. It could very easily alter the system. Wouldn't hurt to have a huge DT to eat up multiple blocks. I won't be greedy and ask for 2 DTs like Carolina had years ago or some other teams have now. The 2 the Panthers had opened up the OL for the LBs and DE to get through easily and they were huge.

As for the OL, we just need 1-2 more guys that get to the 2nd level more often. I don't care if it's a C, T or G. Just provide a good push 50% of the time and I'd be happy. They are already doing well in opening holes and keeping the QB clean most of the time. But, with a bit more push, they could be very good

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Think he'll sustain another 14 games like that?
No. I don't think he'll need to. A full+ week of real practice should help him and his chemistry with the rest of his offense a great deal. A decent rest period could make a great difference for the entire team. Resting the D hopefully should even give Mills less of a chance of always having to come back from a deficit.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
No. I don't think he'll need to. A full+ week of real practice should help him and his chemistry with the rest of his offense a great deal. A decent rest period could make a great difference for the entire team. Resting the D hopefully should even give Mills less of a chance of always having to come back from a deficit.
I'm afraid the Texans will be in a hole again next week.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
This is a good expansion franchise. It’s going to need huge infusion of talent, fun times for us draft junkies.

Run blocking is not good as expected. Pass pro average. One target in passing game, Cooks who is just a little more durable than starting QB - Tyrod (who has already played one half of football more than he did on Chargers last season). Fools Gold.

Defense is loaded with high effort, special team players. Other than Justin Reid, no stars, corners or edge rushers. As you can already tell there is a long list of needs to address next off season.

Texans may have lost the game, but it cost Carolina dearly. First round pick CB Jaycee Horn injured along with franchise RB Christian McCaffrey.

Stay thirsty Texans:wesmantexanfan:

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
This is a good expansion franchise. It’s going to need huge infusion of talent, fun times for us draft junkies.

Run blocking is not good as expected. Pass pro average. One target in passing game, Cooks who is just a little more durable than starting QB - Tyrod (who has already played one half of football more than he did on Chargers last season). Fools Gold.

Defense is loaded with high effort, special team players. Other than Justin Reid, no stars, corners or edge rushers. As you can already tell there is a long list of needs to address next off season.

Texans may have lost the game, but it cost Carolina dearly. First round pick CB Jaycee Horn injured along with franchise RB Christian McCaffrey.

Stay thirsty Texans:wesmantexanfan:
In Cooks’ previous 7 seasons he has missed 6 games his rookie year… played all 16 games the next 4 seasons in a row and missed 2 games 2019 and 1 game 2020.

He’s not exactly Will Fuller on the injury report.

Dejaview

All Pro
Aw come on guys, what did you seriously expect? A win? LOL at that crap, they just aren't good enough yet. They are better than last year, but they are still 1-2 and show it. And if the Tits lose this weekend, we can still be in 1st place all next week along with Indy and Jaggieland if they should happen to win. In fact, all four teams could be 1-2 after this weekend.

The AFC South is right back where it belongs. :lol:
Tits are always winners in my book

Toro Bravo

Rookie
After watching the Highlights on YouTube, I have to say our edge rush looking a little slow. Our DBs in the middle of the field couldn't stop anything. Time and time again it was completion after completion. If we can get a good/fast guy on the edge (DE or OLB) and a good coverage nickle or saftey in nexts years draft or FA period. It could very easily alter the system. Wouldn't hurt to have a huge DT to eat up multiple blocks. I won't be greedy and ask for 2 DTs like Carolina had years ago or some other teams have now. The 2 the Panthers had opened up the OL for the LBs and DE to get through easily and they were huge.

As for the OL, we just need 1-2 more guys that get to the 2nd level more often. I don't care if it's a C, T or G. Just provide a good push 50% of the time and I'd be happy. They are already doing well in opening holes and keeping the QB clean most of the time. But, with a bit more push, they could be very good
This is exactly why I am in favor on building the team around a QB already on the roster or signing a veteran (Garppolo) instead of reaching for a "franchise QB" in the draft. Tyrod is capable of leading the team if he can stay healthy (big IF). The floor on Mills is pretty high. I would prefer to address the issues stated above and have a complete team than rely on a franchise QB to have to make a play - we went through that last year.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
In Cooks’ previous 7 seasons he has missed 6 games his rookie year… played all 16 games the next 4 seasons in a row and missed 2 games 2019 and 1 game 2020.

He’s not exactly Will Fuller on the injury report.
listen, big fan of Cooks and have followed him since his days @ Oregon State, but injuries have taken their toll, he is just not as explosive or fearless as he once was. See him doing better job protecting his body and avoiding direct hits otherwise he is injury concern every time he hits the field.
https://www.draftsharks.com/fantasy/injury-history/brandin-cooks/6946

76Texan

Hall of Fame
And yet, with 6 minutes left in the game they were only down 3 points on the road in the hostile Dawg Pound. Game getting away from them in the second half? Didn't happen. Garrett and Clowney having a field day with the OL? Didn't happen. In both games this season - in which the Texans were the underdogs - the running game hasn't shown up and yet they managed a blow out win and played the Browns close until the end.

Not saying the Panthers aren't a decent team. I am saying their first game of the season was against the Jets with a Rookie QB and their second was against the Saints who had players doing coaching duties during the game. Carolina has also played both their games at home. They have been very fortuitous so far this season in terms of everything breaking their way.

All that to say, do I think the Panthers win on Thursday, but I don't think the scoring margin will be more than the 10 points from the Browns game. Even with Mills at QB. Which was the intent of my question to Texansballer74 who had it at 13.
I'm afraid Baller was more right. :runaway:

Da blitz is what I'm afraid of.
I think we will do better against the blitz going forward. With a rookie quarterback most teams are going to test us with their blitzes and the Panthers blitzes will not have an impact on how other teams approach us. We have to show we can counter those blitzes consistently. I do think we will do better going forward. I think the Panthers defense is a challenge for any team that plays them, blitzes or no blitzes.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
But you saw that ball come out on that sack they called an incomplete pass.

That’s the second time he got whacked & he didn’t protect the ball. He needs to tighten that up.
That's true, he needs to secure the ball at all costs. But on the "incomplete pass" and the other play, the Texans recovered anyway. We see this often even with seasoned vets. But you are right, he does need to protect the ball better and not rely on "luck." No doubt he will learn from his experience. Let's see how he does from here on out, especially with more practice time, which no doubt will include some "security. I would predict more positives to come.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
There are some that believe McCaffrey can be back after the long week's rest. It would surprise the heck out of me if he is not placed on IR. With the mass of his muscle, reviewing the closeup film of his injury and the way he reacted post injury, I have no doubt he has sustained a grade II hamstring tear. He needs a minimum of 4 weeks to rehab, and up to 8 weeks (especially if he does not take it conservatively). And, of course, he will remain increased risk for re-injury the remainder of the season.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I think we will do better against the blitz going forward. With a rookie quarterback most teams are going to test us with their blitzes and the Panthers blitzes will not have an impact on how other teams approach us. We have to show we can counter those blitzes consistently. I do think we will do better going forward. I think the Panthers defense is a challenge for any team that plays them, blitzes or no blitzes.
Each team will probably do it differently.

The Bills blitzed 40% of the time against the Steelers (counting all 32 attempts by Big Ben.)

They blitzed Brissett 60% of the time (24 times) on 40 attempts, generating 17 total pressures.

I hope the Texans can be ready with all the time they have to prepare for it.

Dejaview

All Pro
There are some that believe McCaffrey can be back after the long week's rest. It would surprise the heck out of me if he is not placed on IR. With the mass of his muscle, reviewing the closeup film of his injury and the way he reacted post injury, I have no doubt he has sustained a grade II hamstring tear. He needs a minimum of 4 weeks to rehab, and up to 8 weeks (especially if he does not take it conservatively). And, of course, he will remain increased risk for re-injury the remainder of the season.
He didn’t look injured at all to me the way he was walking off the field. I’m not sure what a grade II hamstring tear is but I’m pretty sure if I had one I’d still be laying on the field.