Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 3: Carolina at Houston

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Another scrappy game from our underdogs. Culley understandably called a conservative game with the rookie qb’s first start and all the injuries on a short week but there’s going to come a time this season when he’s going to have to go for it on 4th down and take more risks in general. But for now this style keeps the game competitive as long as Texans win the turnover battle. No turnovers for either team tonight and the defense spent way too much time on the field.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
He’ll be fine…I think this is as bad as it’ll get. Carolina has a fast defense, but I don’t think they’re that good. They’ve gotten some favorable breaks playing 2 rookies and a depleted Saints team.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
He’ll be fine…I think this is as bad as it’ll get. Carolina has a fast defense, but I don’t think they’re that good. They’ve gotten some favorable breaks playing 2 rookies and a depleted Saints team.
If the Panthers D are not that good, what will happen when the Texans play a better one?

austins23

Hall of Fame
What happened to the no leading with the helmet for the RB.
BS
he was stopped
Any other refs would have blown the whistle to stop the play long before had had the prolonged push.
That wasn't an "incomplete pass."
The refs screwed the pooch tonight!
As many hits that he's taken, he has still maintained a calm.
After that helmet to helmet hit someone, ANYONE should have been in the refs arse! That was a roughing penalty

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
If the Panthers D are not that good, what will happen when the Texans play a better one?
they played the best defense in the league according to the numbers. The Panthers on offense haven’t really been tested & defensively if they blitz a veteran qb like they’ve been doing, they’ll get picked apart.

The only defense left that they have to face that scares me is the Rams. Everyone else has shown vulnerability.

Think he'll sustain another 14 games like that?
In fairness our O-line did a good job pass blocking last week. The Panthers so far this season have gotten a lot of pressure on opposing quarterbacks in each of the previous games they have played up to this point. Against lesser defenses our O-line should protect DM much better.

Last edited:

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
OLine just didn't hold up. Mills looked decent, and most likely would have looked better if he had more time to throw.
And WRs he is use to throwing to.

We played hard but many of the D players (same thing last week) just ran out of gas. Mills is looking better than Sunday. If he can get a little better weekly he has a legit shot to be good.

Part of this loss was a few no calls. I'm sure I saw a helmet on helmet not called. We all saw a stop on the goal line that was ruled a TD somehow. And a pass interference that wasn't a PI call. Alter the 3 and it could have been either a closer game or perhaps a win

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Defense got gassed in the 2nd half. Offensively we were conservative, but I understand why. Mills all things being equal played better than the 2 previous qbs the Panthers faced. And this was on a short week. With more 1st team reps and him getting more comfy with the offense coupled with Kelly opening up the playbook a little more each week, he should be ok.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
they played the best defense in the league according to the numbers. The Panthers on offense haven’t really been tested & defensively if they blitz a veteran qb like they’ve been doing, they’ll get picked apart.

The only defense left that they have to face that scares me is the Rams. Everyone else has shown vulnerability.
Before this game start, the line vs. the Bills were 16-1/2.

You don't think the Bills have a better defense?

Or is it that their offense is that much better?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
And WRs he is use to throwing to.

We played hard but many of the D players (same thing last week) just ran out of gas. Mills is looking better than Sunday. If he can get a little better weekly he has a legit shot to be good.

Part of this loss was a few no calls. I'm sure I saw a helmet on helmet not called. We all saw a stop on the goal line that was ruled a TD somehow. And a pass interference that wasn't a PI call. Alter the 3 and it could have been either a closer game or perhaps a win
Good thing is Mills has a long week now to learn and prepare for his next start. Interested to see how he develops. He showed good potential tonight.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Nothing that happened in the game tonight changed how I feel about the Texans. I'm still pleasantly surprised with Lovie Smith. I still feel like Mills has a ways to go. I'm not at all happy with Culley's in-game decisions. But, he and the rest of the coaching staff have the guys prepared to play.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
In fairness our O-line did a good job pass blocking last week. The Panthers so far this season have gotten a lot of pressure on opposing quarterbacks in each of the three games they have played up to this point. Against lesser defenses our O-line should protect DM much better.
They have a blueprint now.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Before this game start, the line vs. the Bills were 16-1/2.

You don't think the Bills have a better defense?

Or is it that their offense is that much better?
their offense is much better, defensively to me they are about the same as Carolina. I’m cringing right now just thinking about Hargreaves covering Diggs.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I’d like to get a look at Scottie Phillips sooner than later. The running game needs a spark. I hope the OL gels sooner than later but I don’t think we are losing anything playing Phillips based on what the other backs brought tonight.
Man, you ain't lying about that. I thought Lindsay was a good pick up but this dude is garbage so far. 7 carries, 5 yards tonight, 20 carries, 32 yards, 1.6 YPC for the season. Of course the run blocking is atrocious, but still. They were much better than this last year and they were bad last year.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Nothing that happened in the game tonight changed how I feel about the Texans. I'm still pleasantly surprised with Lovie Smith. I still feel like Mills has a ways to go. I'm not at all happy with Culley's in-game decisions. But, he and the rest of the coaching staff have the guys prepared to play.
Too many missed tackles... again.

Among other things.