Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 2: at The Dawg Pound

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Browns vs Texans odds and prediction for NFL Week 2 game

The Cleveland Browns suffered a heartbreaking loss in Week 1 against the Kansas City Chiefs but they proved in that defeat that they can go toe-to-toe with anyone and have a chance to win. The cards weren’t in their favor on Sunday but the season is a marathon, not a sprint.

That means they need to learn from the mistakes and get better moving forward. Thankfully, they have an opponent coming to their turf this time, which could help them if the game gets tight.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
We'll lose, but hopefully we don't look like OB's Texans doing it. If it's a respectable loss, then fine, if it's a dumbass loss I'll be pissed. They've shown they can actually play, so I expect it now.

I have a feeling that the Brownies offense is going to have a much easier time with us than did the Jaggies.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I have a feeling that the Brownies offense is going to have a much easier time with us than did the Jaggies.
If you look at the box score, the Jags offense wasn't all bad. Two RBs ran for 5 ypc. Kareem Hunt & Nick Chubb both ran for 5.5 against the Chiefs defense.

A more run oriented game plan would have probably got the Jags a W last Sunday. We have to hope the Browns coach is as quick to give up the run as Myer... don't get me wrong, the Texans did a good enough job keeping the Browns from converting third downs. The score got out of hand & they had to do what they had to do.

So I think the Browns offense will definitely do better. I just hope it doesn't result in a lot of points.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
A more run oriented game plan would have probably got the Jags a W last Sunday.
Well, that’s the thing. The game plan was bad. You’re going to run your rookie QB out there, playing his 1st ever game, and have him throw 51 times?

Of course they did get behind pretty quickly to have to abandon the run, but they still had 21 pass plays to just 9 run plays in the 1st half.

The Browns aren’t going to be that dumb. I know, felt weird actually typing that but this isn’t the factory of sadness we’ve been accustomed to seeing the last 2 decades.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don't want to be cliché here, but I will. lol :winky:

Be competitive. Look like you belong on the field. Even in a loss, fans need to see a fight in the team.

While the GM might be downplaying the results of this season as he's looking at a long term, big picture agenda, I would never expect the coaches and players to feel the same way. And that's what I want to see. If/when they lose, look like it pisses you off. It's the lackadaisical attitude from a team after a loss that really eats at fans.

Right now, I feel like there is a lot of fight in this dog, and if the team can carry that with them, they always have a chance in any game not involving Patrick Mahomes. lol

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Yeah, I'm not expecting a win here. I'm not even expecting this one to be close. I'm hoping for a win, and failing that, I'm hoping we keep it close... but I'm not expecting it.
How good do you think the Browns' defense will be at the end of the season? Top 10? Top 5?

austins23

Hall of Fame
With the pass rush the Browns can bring, this would be the perfect game for Kelly to bust out the “Screen” pass to slow it down. Bring a second TE in close to the tackle to chip the DE and run a screen to that TE. Get the RBs involved in the passing game. There has to be a “good” screen play in that playbook somewhere, right?

And the running game has to be good to slow down that rush. Shorten the game. Pressure Baker into a mistake and take advantage of it. Because Baker should make at least one mistake.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't want to be cliché here, but I will. lol :winky:

Be competitive. Look like you belong on the field. Even in a loss, fans need to see a fight in the team.

While the GM might be downplaying the results of this season as he's looking at a long term, big picture agenda, I would never expect the coaches and players to feel the same way. And that's what I want to see. If/when they lose, look like it pisses you off. It's the lackadaisical attitude from a team after a loss that really eats at fans.

Right now, I feel like there is a lot of fight in this dog, and if the team can carry that with them, they always have a chance in any game not involving Patrick Mahomes. lol
This team looks like it's taken on the personality of it's HC. W/L means more to them than stats/pro bowls/houses/cars and women.

With the pass rush the Browns can bring, this would be the perfect game for Kelly to bust out the “Screen” pass to slow it down. Bring a second TE in close to the tackle to chip the DE and run a screen to that TE. Get the RBs involved in the passing game. There has to be a “good” screen play in that playbook somewhere, right?

And the running game has to be good to slow down that rush. Shorten the game. Pressure Baker into a mistake and take advantage of it. Because Baker should make at least one mistake.
I think the Texans will be able to somewhat slow down the Browns pass rush. Because I think most of the time Tunsil will be able to handle Garrett and Clowney has never been a pas rusher, plus he rarely has 2 good games in a row anymore. Also using alot of 12 personnel (Which I expect Culley/Kelly/Pep to do) will also slow down the pass rush.)

This game will really come down to 3 things

1. Can the Texans take care of the ball and not have turnovers.
2. Can they slow down the Browns run game and if they can will the secondary hold up against Mayfield and the Browns WR's. Speaking of this, is OBJ supposed to be back Sunday?

austins23

Hall of Fame
This team looks like it's taken on the personality of it's HC. W/L means more to them than stats/pro bowls/houses/cars and women.

I think the Texans will be able to somewhat slow down the Browns pass rush. Because I think most of the time Tunsil will be able to handle Garrett and Clowney has never been a pas rusher, plus he rarely has 2 good games in a row anymore. Also using alot of 12 personnel (Which I expect Culley/Kelly/Pep to do) will also slow down the pass rush.)

This game will really come down to 3 things

1. Can the Texans take care of the ball and not have turnovers.
2. Can they slow down the Browns run game and if they can will the secondary hold up against Mayfield and the Browns WR's. Speaking of this, is OBJ supposed to be back Sunday?
OBJ has been ruled OUT for Sunday. But the Browns have a pretty good TE group, and we all know what good TEs do to this Texans defense.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
OBJ has been ruled OUT for Sunday. But the Browns have a pretty good TE group, and we all know what good TEs do to this Texans defense.
Hopefully with the increased speed at the LB position and Lovie's cover 2 scheme this will be somewhat mitigated. Although the Cover2's weakness is covering between the hashes. A good pass rush would certainly help.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame

I would add the RB option wildcat that Lindsay scored on to this list. Clowney in particular has problems playing side to side while reading misdirection plays. Their DL can get to the QB so make them slow down and think.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I would add the RB option wildcat that Lindsay scored on to this list. Clowney in particular has problems playing side to side while reading misdirection plays. Their DL can get to the QB so make them slow down and think.
He made a heck of a play on one of those Sunday.

banned1976

sleeper mode
What I hope - the Texans defense is much better than expected and the offense continues to put points on the board.

What I expect - the Texans defense gets manhandled against the run while giving up big pass plays, and the offense sputters. Back to reality after playing a 1-15 team from last year now in their first season with a first time NFL head coach and rookie quarterback.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I just hope we don’t go out there and look like the team we saw two years ago that lost to Denver with OB and HWSNBN.

It would be very disappointing to see a team flat, going through the motions, and unprepared.
I'm not expecting a win. But if we lose, I'm expecting to hear that excuse... they were flat.

When reality, if Cleveland builds on what they did last year (two years in a row would be an achievement for that franchise) they're simply the better team. They're more talented, no question. But if they can keep it together I'd be shocked.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I'm not expecting a win. But if we lose, I'm expecting to hear that excuse... they were flat.

When reality, if Cleveland builds on what they did last year (two years in a row would be an achievement for that franchise) they're simply the better team. They're more talented, no question. But if they can keep it together I'd be shocked.
I read a short bloggers note earlier today discussing the Browns stating they started well but then imploded. In ( )he asked anyone surprised?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So, will Roy Lopez start? Lawrence kept stepping up in the pocket last game but I swear I thought I saw a couple of Lopez bull rushes that looked like Mongo pushing a piano and Lawrence had no pocket to step up into
Lawrence step around then up in the pocket. Tayler & Malick were moving bodies.

honestly didn’t see Lopez doinga whole lot. Blacklock was looking pretty good too, but almost like an edge rusher.

mws

Rookie
Todays injury report.

Pharaoh Brown TE - Ankle/Shoulder - DNP
Desmond King II DB - Knee - DNP
Kevin Pierre-Louis LB - Thigh - DNP
Andre Roberts WR - Knee - DNP

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So, will Roy Lopez start? Lawrence kept stepping up in the pocket last game but I swear I thought I saw a couple of Lopez bull rushes that looked like Mongo pushing a piano and Lawrence had no pocket to step up into
Look for Jaleel Johnson to get alot of time.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
They have a good run game and a decent defense but outside of that? Eh. Not so convinced on the Browns yet. Maybe it's just season after season after season of disappointments. Pretty good team. But I don't think they're worldbeaters.

Do I expect a win? Nah. But would I be surprised if we came away with one? Absolutely not.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
If you look at the box score, the Jags offense wasn't all bad. Two RBs ran for 5 ypc. Kareem Hunt & Nick Chubb both ran for 5.5 against the Chiefs defense.

A more run oriented game plan would have probably got the Jags a W last Sunday. We have to hope the Browns coach is as quick to give up the run as Myer... don't get me wrong, the Texans did a good enough job keeping the Browns from converting third downs. The score got out of hand & they had to do what they had to do.

So I think the Browns offense will definitely do better. I just hope it doesn't result in a lot of points.

Yeah the Jags were averaging ~8ypc in the first quarter but they threw it 70% of the time with a rookie QB making his first start against a defense dropping 7 into coverage.

It was almost like OB was on the opposite sideline ....

vtech9

All Pro
I'm half expecting this to be a competitive game, with the chance for a Texans win. The reason? I half expect the Browns to play to the level of their competition. They came out firing against the Chiefs because they know KC can put up points fast. I don't think they fear the Texans, so I think they will have a more methodical gameplan this week, which will allow the Texans to stay in the game. If, because of turnovers and good Texans Offense play, the Texans find themselves with a 10+ lead, I think the Browns will start to panic a little, and will make more mistakes, which will only increase the Texans chance for a victory. If the browns play a clean game, they win, and win easily. Even in a losing effort, I still think the Texans will play a decent game.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
*I did not have access to a local TV broadcast of the Texans/Jags game. I discovered that Yahoo Sports secured an NFL deal to be able to show local games on your cell phone, via the Yahoo Sports app! I was able to thoroughly enjoy the game last Sunday. Looking at the app's schedule, the Texans/Browns game is slated to be shown! Hope this works for you all!

Texansballer74

The Marine
*I did not have access to a local TV broadcast of the Texans/Jags game. I discovered that Yahoo Sports secured an NFL deal to be able to show local games on your cell phone, via the Yahoo Sports app! I was able to thoroughly enjoy the game last Sunday. Looking at the app's schedule, the Texans/Browns game is slated to be shown! Hope this works for you all!
Good stuff Doc. I downloaded YouTube but wasn’t able to get the game. Good thing it was on the local channel down here in Pecos Texas. Plus the rig I’m on has the ticket.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Add starting LB Anthony Walker to list of Browns injured players. Leading tackler last game. Browns appear banged up heading into week 2 with their OL injuries, still no Beckham and Walker.