Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 17 Texans @ 49ers

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Double digit dogs again. It will be the 9th time this year if it holds until kickoff.
Opened at Texans +15, down to +12.5. Could drop more if Lance does indeed start.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Just looked and the 49ers have the 7th best rushing offense. If Trey Lance starts, should the Texans stack the box against the run and force the 49ers to beat us with the pass?

He's had two starts. Against Seattle he had 157 yds, 2 TD's, no ints with a rating of 117.1. Against Arizonia he had 192 yds, no TD's, 1 int with a rating of 58.4.

I figure we are going to have to respect the pass but we are going to have to figure out how to slow their running game down.

Offensively it's going to be tough for the Texans. The 49ers have given up the 11th fewest yds rushing and the 7th fewest yds passing.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Just looked and the 49ers have the 7th best rushing offense. If Trey Lance starts, should the Texans stack the box against the run and force the 49ers to beat us with the pass?

He's had two starts. Against Seattle he had 157 yds, 2 TD's, no ints with a rating of 117.1. Against Arizonia he had 192 yds, no TD's, 1 int with a rating of 58.4.

I figure we are going to have to respect the pass but we are going to have to figure out how to slow their running game down.

Offensively it's going to be tough for the Texans. The 49ers have given up the 11th fewest yds rushing and the 7th fewest yds passing.
If the 49ers can show up with most of their team, which the Chargers didn't (especially on defense), then I agree Texans won't fair so well. Which means we'll get to see what Mills can do against a good defense.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Shanahan on Lance
"I don't really want to decide that until I watch the Texans, and we just finished with our guys, so I'm about to jump into them now. But there's a chance (Lance starts)," Shanahan said, per 49ers Web Zone.

"I think this last month with Trey has been his best consecutive four weeks of practice since we've had him," the coach added. "He's had a number of good days, and he's had some bad days like most guys do. But as far as his consistency and stuff, I feel this last month has been his best. I feel like if that was the case at any time this year, if Jimmy, he was struggling to throw at his best, I think we would have gone with Trey."

JWTexans

Waterboy
Win or lose, I just want to see more progression out of Mills. Especially with Cooks back the last 2 games, I think it’ll be a good indicator of what we have and can realistically expect going into next season.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Win or lose, I just want to see more progression out of Mills. Especially with Cooks back the last 2 games, I think it’ll be a good indicator of what we have and can realistically expect going into next season.
Depends on if they have a great offseason and can fix the OL, plus find a RB. I'm liking a cheap FA pickup like Johnson from the Browns as well as drafting a RB like Charbonnet or Kennedy Brooks/ Haskins in rds 3-5. Those 2 RB adds plus Burkhead would make for a very solid RB room.

I'm hoping Caserio invests in the OL in rds 1 depending on who's there and particularly rds 2-3 if he goes for one of the DE's or Stingley in rd 1.

Perfect draft for me would be

Rd.1 Stingley
Rd.2 Kinnard
Rd.3 Salyer
Rd.3 Charbonnet

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Niners have a great TE and Lil Shanny will kill this defense with the use of his FB. One of the very few teams to use a FB in the offense consistently.
Speaking of the TE class, I'm watching Kolar and Allen from Iowa St. against Clemson. I would trade up into the 5th using two of 6ths and pick either of these TE's. Especially Kolar reminds me so much of OD. He just always open and very sure handed. A good blocker too.

JWTexans

Waterboy
Depends on if they have a great offseason and can fix the OL, plus find a RB. I'm liking a cheap FA pickup like Johnson from the Browns as well as drafting a RB like Charbonnet or Kennedy Brooks/ Haskins in rds 3-5. Those 2 RB adds plus Burkhead would make for a very solid RB room.

I'm hoping Caserio invests in the OL in rds 1 depending on who's there and particularly rds 2-3 if he goes for one of the DE's or Stingley in rd 1.

Rd.1 Stingley
Rd.2 Kinnard
Rd.3 Salyer
Rd.3 Charbonnet
I’m not sold on Stingley for some reason. I’d take Hamilton or Neal. I’d probably lean toward Neal since that would make Tunsil expendable and allow you to trade him for at least a 2 or possibly a low end 1. Then a playmaker like Treylon Burks in the 2nd.
I know the D needs a ton of work, but this draft is loaded with talent on that side.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I’m not sold on Stingley for some reason. I’d take Hamilton or Neal. I’d probably lean toward Neal since that would make Tunsil expendable and allow you to trade him for at least a 2 or possibly a low end 1. Then a playmaker like Treylon Burks in the 2nd.
I know the D needs a ton of work, but this draft is loaded with talent on that side.
As a freshman Stingley was one of the best CB's I've seen in many yrs. He reminds me so much of Champ Bailey in the way he moves. There's some recency bias due to Stingley being injured the last 2 yrs and not coming back from injury this yr. Instead he chose to prepare for the draft after having foot surgery. (I would love to get CnD's thoughts on this injury) I bet he has a great combine because he's an elite athlete.

If Caserio stays at 3 I wouldn't have an issue with picking Neal at all. However where we differ is if Caserio/Tunsil can kiss and make up I would keep Tunsil and start Neal off at RG or RT. Then trade Tunsil in the 2023 offseason.

The 2023 offseason is when Caserio needs to start thinking about bringing in premium FA's and might need Tunsil's cap space.

Dont think Burks will be there in the 2nd but he's a great player.

JWTexans

Waterboy
As a freshman Stingley was one of the best CB's I've seen in many yrs. He reminds me so much of Champ Bailey in the way he moves. There's some recency bias due to Stingley being injured the last 2 yrs and not coming back from injury this yr. Instead he chose to prepare for the draft after having foot surgery. (I would love to get CnD's thoughts on this injury) I bet he has a great combine because he's an elite athlete.

If Caserio stays at 3 I wouldn't have an issue with picking Neal at all. However where we differ is if Caserio/Tunsil can kiss and make up I would keep Tunsil and start Neal off at RG or RT. Then trade Tunsil in the 2023 offseason.

The 2023 offseason is when Caserio needs to start thinking about bringing in premium FA's and might need Tunsil's cap space.

That’s a good point with Tunsil. I hadn’t thought of that. I’m just ready for he and Watson to be gone.
I respect your opinion quite a bit, what’s your opinion on Kyle Hamilton and Zach Harrison?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That’s a good point with Tunsil. I hadn’t thought of that. I’m just ready for he and Watson to be gone.
I respect your opinion quite a bit, what’s your opinion on Kyle Hamilton and Zach Harrison?
Love Hamilton I have him rated after Hutchinson/Stingley (If healthy)/Neal/Thibodeaux/Cross/Hamilton.

Harrison is the most athletically gifted edge in this class. (Even more so than Hutchinson/Thibodeaux) But from some reason his production hasn't matched his athletic ability. He's the type of guy I pick with the Saints pick or 4-3

texanhead08

All Pro

I am always nervous about guys that were injured in college if they were injured in college they will probably be in the pros too.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I am always nervous about guys that were injured in college if they were injured in college they will probably be in the pros too.
With how hard college plays these days it’s almost impossible to find any kind of elite player that hasn’t had some level of injury. The question is how bad was the injury and how does it affect them long term.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
HOU could go from the 3rd pick to the 9th pick if they win…….
Ugh.
Well Davis Mills was taken in the 3rd and has outplayed quite a few players picked ahead of him…

I’m more interested in getting a high pick for the trade down possibility with the talent in the top 10 all being difference makers at their respective positions. I want more top 100 picks. I think those picks will be starters for this team next season… possibly beyond if they hit! And I want Caserio to take as many swings as possible in that range.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame

Rd.1 Stingley
Rd.2 Kinnard
Rd.3 Salyer
Rd.3 Charbonnet
I wish the Texans hadn’t traded Ingram for peanuts as a “favor”. He ran hard and I wonder how he would be looking paired with Burkhead right now. Two guys that make the most of the limited opportunities this OL provides. Any RB with a similar style to Ingram that I should keep my eye on in this upcoming draft?

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I wish the Texans hadn’t traded Ingram for peanuts as a “favor”. He ran hard and I wonder how he would be looking paired with Burkhead right now. Two guys that make the most of the limited opportunities this OL provides. Any RB with a similar style to Ingram that I should keep my eye on in this upcoming draft?
Neither are part of the future so it really doesn’t matter.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
DeEarnest Johnson from Cleveland really impressed me when he got his chance when Covid hit the Browns. In FA

Hassan Haskins/ Ty Chandler/Leddie Brown/Abram Smith have similar running styles as Ingram and could be had later in the draft.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Blowout

Houston Texans at 49ers

Line: 49ers -12.5

Jimmy Garoppolo? Trey Lance? Does it matter? The Texans were impressive in beating the Chargers, but the 49ers’ defense should handle young Davis Mills. San Francisco inches closer to a playoff berth.

Pick:49ers 31, Texans 13

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Screenshot_20220101-124043_Chrome.jpg

Overall, Mills has recorded six passing touchdowns to go along with a 113.2 passer rating in the red zone so far this season. His promising play in the red zone should continue against defensive end Nick Bosa and the 49ers defense.

In the unpredictable world of the NFL, it sure would not be a surprise to see the Texans pull off an upset victory over the 49ers

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
View attachment 9481

Overall, Mills has recorded six passing touchdowns to go along with a 113.2 passer rating in the red zone so far this season. His promising play in the red zone should continue against defensive end Nick Bosa and the 49ers defense.

In the unpredictable world of the NFL, it sure would not be a surprise to see the Texans pull off an upset victory over the 49ers
I don't expect them to win tomorrow, but I do expect them to show up. I really would like to see them get one more win this season, but honestly, if they only get one, I want it against the Titans.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don't expect them to win tomorrow, but I do expect them to show up. I really would like to see them get one more win this season, but honestly, if they only get one, I want it against the Titans.
I'm expecting a ridiculous bad return to the mean. I'm thinking Tyrod Taylor against the Dolphins bad. Out of nowhere bad.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
View attachment 9481

I feel that Mills will "enjoy" the 49er's CB situation.............

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

Although the nature of Stingley's foot injury was never really reported, it was a Lisfranc injury. He first sustained the injury in a Sept 2021 practice.............He tried to play through it unsuccessfully, finally requiring surgery in Oct.

Below is the most recent review on such injury. Although the conclusion re post injury performance is said to be better for defensive players than offensive players, there consistently demonstrates decreased performance and less games played over a 3 year period. As far as a CB with such an injury/surgery, I'd have to summarize as "Buyer beware."

Performance-Based Outcomes Following Lisfranc Injury Among Professional American Football and Rugby Athletes
Sameer K Singh, Andrew George, Anish R Kadakia, Wellington K Hsu

Abstract
Professional National Football League (NFL) and rugby athletes have high rates of Lisfranc injuries. Although favorable return-to-play rates have been previously reported, a thorough assessment of postinjury performance is lacking. Professional NFL and rugby athletes who sustained a Lisfranc injury were identified using a well-established protocol confirmed by multiple sources of the public record. Return-to-play rate and time to return were determined for each athlete. League participation and game performance were collected 1 season prior to injury and up to 3 seasons after injury. Statistical analysis was performed, with P≤.05 being significant. A total of 47 athletes (NFL=35, rugby=12) with Lisfranc injuries were identified, having 23 ligamentous injuries and 24 fractures. Thirty-five (75%) were treated operatively. Among NFL players, 29 (83%) returned to play, taking 10.0±2.9 months to do so. Overall, NFL players started fewer games 2 and 3 seasons following surgery (P=.002 and .035, respectively) and showed a significant decline in performance 1 season after return compared with preinjury levels (21%; P=.05). Offensive players had a significantly greater decline in statistical performance compared with defensive counterparts (P=.02). Although professional NFL athletes return to play at a high rate (83%) following Lisfranc injury, their league participation and performance is significantly decreased on return. Ligamentous and bony injuries have similar prognoses; however, offensive players show greater declines in performance compared with defensive players. To best guide therapy, players, coaches, and team physicians should be aware of the impact of Lisfranc injuries on career performance and longevity. [Orthopedics. 2018; 41(4):e479-e482.].

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Although the nature of Stingley's foot injury was never really reported, it was a Lisfranc injury. He first sustained the injury in a Sept 2021 practice.............He tried to play through it unsuccessfully, finally requiring surgery in Oct.

Below is the most recent review on such injury. Although the conclusion re post injury performance is said to be better for defensive players than offensive players, there consistently demonstrates decreased performance and less games played over a 3 year period. As far as a CB with such an injury/surgery, I'd have to summarize as "Buyer beware."

Performance-Based Outcomes Following Lisfranc Injury Among Professional American Football and Rugby Athletes
Sameer K Singh, Andrew George, Anish R Kadakia, Wellington K Hsu

Abstract
Professional National Football League (NFL) and rugby athletes have high rates of Lisfranc injuries. Although favorable return-to-play rates have been previously reported, a thorough assessment of postinjury performance is lacking. Professional NFL and rugby athletes who sustained a Lisfranc injury were identified using a well-established protocol confirmed by multiple sources of the public record. Return-to-play rate and time to return were determined for each athlete. League participation and game performance were collected 1 season prior to injury and up to 3 seasons after injury. Statistical analysis was performed, with P≤.05 being significant. A total of 47 athletes (NFL=35, rugby=12) with Lisfranc injuries were identified, having 23 ligamentous injuries and 24 fractures. Thirty-five (75%) were treated operatively. Among NFL players, 29 (83%) returned to play, taking 10.0±2.9 months to do so. Overall, NFL players started fewer games 2 and 3 seasons following surgery (P=.002 and .035, respectively) and showed a significant decline in performance 1 season after return compared with preinjury levels (21%; P=.05). Offensive players had a significantly greater decline in statistical performance compared with defensive counterparts (P=.02). Although professional NFL athletes return to play at a high rate (83%) following Lisfranc injury, their league participation and performance is significantly decreased on return. Ligamentous and bony injuries have similar prognoses; however, offensive players show greater declines in performance compared with defensive players. To best guide therapy, players, coaches, and team physicians should be aware of the impact of Lisfranc injuries on career performance and longevity. [Orthopedics. 2018; 41(4):e479-e482.].
OK,

I'm off of Stingley and officially on the Hamilton (CnD if you could when you have time tell us about Hamilton's injury this yr) or Neal train.

Mangler

Toro de España
View attachment 9481

Posters here would still find a way to discredit the upset victory. Especially if Jimmy G doesn’t suit up.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
View attachment 9481

The Texans also have the fewest trips of any team to the red zone, and like their run game anywhere on the field, it's just as bad in the RZ.

Texansballer74

The Marine
The Texans also have the fewest trips of any team to the red zone, and like their run game anywhere on the field, it's just as bad in the RZ.
The Texans might not cross the 50 yards line. I see people have selected memory or flat out forgotten that we couldn’t cross the freaking 50 yard line.

I surely hope this isn’t the case and we actually play some competitive football all around. A win would be extra topping on the cake. I do predict us to win though.